LCD Version 6.4 December 9,1990
Copyright 1989,1990 Les J. Ventimiglia
LCD (Les's Change Directory) is shareware. Donations are
always welcomed. I have many other utilities under
development and any donations will insure that they get
released as shareware.
LCD allows one to easily change to another directory by
specifying only part of it.
LCD is provided in a bound version that works in DOS or OS/2
and in a protected mode version. LCD supports long filenames
in OS/2 1.2 or later.
The zip file should contain the following files:
LCD.EXE Protected mode executable.
BLCD.EXE Bound executable.
LCD.DOC This document file.
C.CMD Command file for use with OS/2.
Version 6.0 15jun90 was the first release as Shareware.
Version 6.1 21jun90 fixed bug which corrupted the root
directory entry of the lcd data file
during a fullscreen rescan.
Version 6.2 14aug90 fixes problem of running c.cmd while in the
%TMP% directory while in protected mode.
Version 6.3 11nov90 Fixed bug which cacused program to display
garbage on screen when entire map was <=
current number of lines per screen.
Version 6.4 09dec90 Modified to work with shell programs that
cannot handle the OS/2 "&" operator.
DOS or DOSbox of OS/2:
LCD [/rn] [d:][path]
OS/2 protected mode:
C [/rn] [d:][path]
Where : /r = Causes a complete rescan of the specified drive.
/n = Do not write the LCD data file.
d: = Drive to scan.
path = partial path to change to. Only the portion
after the last \ is used.
An invalid option will display the usage.
/ options can be combined or be specified separately before or
after any of the filespecs.
/rn == /n/r == /r /n
* Note: Protected mode usage must use the command file C.CMD, *
* using the executable in protected mode without the *
* command file will look like it is changing to the *
* directory but will not due to OS/2 restoring the *
* environment when the program is finished running. *
LCD will rescan the specified or implied disk in the
- The LCD database does not exist or
- The /r (Rescan) option is specified or
- The current directory of the specified disk is not
in the LCD database.
LCD will not save the database when used on drives A: or B:
or if the /n (nosave) option is used.
The database file is written to the root directory of the
specified or implied drive using the name "LCD_data". If the
drive is write protected (as some network drives are), LCD
will attempt to save the database on drive C: using the name
"LCD_x.dat" where x is the drive letter.
If [path] is specified on the command line, LCD will do the
- LCD scans the entire tree for a match to [path].
- If there is only one match,
then LCD will change to that directory.
- If there are no matches,
then LCD will remain in the current directory.
- If there are multiple matches, LCD will first check
for one exact match. If there is one exact match,
LCD change to that directory. Otherwise, LCD will
popup a box containing the choices. Move the
highlight to the one you want to reach and press to select it, LCD will change to that
Command line EXAMPLES: (Protected mode: Use C instead of LCD)
To change to your INCLUDE directory on the current drive and
rebuild the LCD data file:
LCD include /r or LCD /r include
To change to the \bin directory on drive c:
If the [path] option is not specified, LCD will start up in
full screen mode.
LCD will display a graphical tree display of the directory
Once the display is up, you can use the following keys to move
around the display:
or - moves highlight up or scrolls screen down
or - moves highlight down or scrolls screen up
- - - - - - moves the screen up one page
- - - - - - moves the screen down one page
- - - - - - moves to the root directory "\"
- - - - - - - moves to the end of the display
- - - - - - ends the program and goes to the
- - Speed searches for directory match.
- - - - - - - ends the program without changing
- - - Speed search for next directory match.
- - - - - - - ReScan the current drive.
- - - - - - - Change to a different drive.
LCD is distributed under the SHAREWARE concept.
You are encouraged to copy and share this program with other users.
Please do not remove the copyright or the user-supported notice.
If you enjoy LCD and find it of value a minimun donation of $15
would be appreciated.
LCD is one of the "Ventimiglia Tools" family of programer
enhancement utilities. Look for more of these enhancement
utilities coming soon to a BBS near you.
SHAREWARE is based on these three beliefs:
1. The value of software is best assessed by the
user on his own system.
2. Creation of personal computer software can and
should be supported by computing community.
3. That copying of programs should be encouraged,
rather than restricted.
This document and the current version of the program file
LCD.EXE ("the software") are copyrighted by the author. The
copyright owner hereby licenses you to: use the software; make
as many copies of the program and documentation as you wish;
give such copies to anyone; and distribute the software and
documentation via electronic means.
However, you are specifically prohibited from charging, or
requesting donations, for any such copies, however made.
No copy of the software may be distributed or given away without
this document; and this notice must not be removed.
There is no warranty of any kind, and the copyright owner is not
liable for damages of any kind. By using the software, you agree
Send donations and/or questions to :
Les J. Ventimiglia
15247 Monroe Ave.
Moorpark, CA. 93021