OS/2 2.0 Installation Fix
(per instructions from IBM Boca)
Applies only to certain ISA (AT bus) machines with MFM, RLL, or ESDI
hard disk drives. Apples to CSD level 02000 ONLY (the initial retail
release of OS/2 2.0).
Fixes installation problem involving one or more of the following
symptoms: extremely slow copying to hard disk, grating/whining noise
when accessing hard disk, FDISK errors.
(1) DISKCOPY Diskette 1 of the installation package. Set the original
aside and use the copy from now on and in the instructions below.
(2) Replace CONFIG.SYS on Diskette 1 with the CONFIG.SYS in this package.
(Or simply replace the line "BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD" with
"REM BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD" in CONFIG.SYS using a text editor. The
CONFIG.SYS file in this package is provided as a convenience.)
(3) Begin the installation procedure by booting from the Installation
Disk. Proceed through the first five disks of installation.
(4) The system will then prompt you to insert the Installation Diskette.
Do so. After copying files from this diskette, the system will then
prompt you to remove the Installation Diskette. Do so. However, just
after hitting Enter, and just after the screen clears, quickly reinsert
the Installation Diskette.
(5) When prompted, insert Diskette 1 and press Enter. When prompted
again, press Esc instead of Enter.
(6) At the OS/2 command line, issue the following commands:
RENAME C:\OS2\IBM1S506.ADD IBM1S506.XXX
COPY C:\OS2\IBMINT13.I13 IBM1S506.ADD
replacing C:, if necessary, with the drive on which OS/2 is being
(7) Remove Diskette 1, and press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot. Proceed
through the remainder of installation, the Tutorial, and view the
Timothy F. [email protected]