Contents of the README.TXT file
PMMPEG.EXE Release 2.1 - An OS/2 Presentation Manager MPEG movie player.
This program will play MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group) digital movies
in a window on your OS/2 desktop. It can handle I-Frame style movies that
are used by the DOS Xing MPEG player, plus IBP-Frame style movies that the
Xing can't currently handle. It cannot play movies that have embedded
sounds, such as those generated by the ReelMagic card.
I received a great deal of quality feedback from dozens of people that
tried previous releases of PMMPEG. Here are of some of the new features
that have been implemented based on your suggestions. Please continue to
send suggestions and bug reports, it will help to make PMMPEG better for
New Features in PMMPEG 2.1:
* Optimized playback speed with I/B/P movies. They play at much
higherframe rates and as a side effect the bug with stepping frame by frame
in I/B/P movies has been corrected.
* Added Slideshow feature. This allows you to select multiple files with
the File Dialog, drag/drop multiple files from somewhere on the desktop or
specify multiple files on the command line. PMMPEG will then play each
movie, one after the other, and optionally loop back to the front of the
list and play again if the Loop mode is set.
* Added Toolbar buttons that allow you to save the current frame to the
Clipboard or to an OS/2 Bitmap file
* The Statistics dialog has been replaced by a Status bar that can be
optionally displayed at the bottom of the frame. This shows the relevant
statistics for the movie: resolution, frame count (for I/B/P and displayed
frames) and frame rate in frames/second.
* If a decoding problem occurs on a particular frame, the status bar will
optionally be displayed with a red background for that frame.
* A pop up message will be displayed if the current display configuration
is not set up for at least 256 colors. This is required for proper display
of the images.
* Added WS_ANIMATE bit to respect system window animation option.
* Updated MPEG movie site information.
* Added MPEG-2 decoder discussion to help file.
* Added DIVE discussion/problems to help file.
* Tested increasing color dithering space up from 128 colors but there was
not much visual difference and performance suffered.
* Optimization: Check and don't change a button if it's already in the
* Optimization: Quickly skip initial frames until a non-all-black frame is
found. This will always display the first valid frame of any movie.
* Optimization: Better frame/second calculation, still mildly optimistic.
* Bug fix: Leaves movie positioned at last frame when it ends.
* Bug fix: Only one error message on improper end sequence, stops
* Bug fix: Gets focus on startup as it should.
* Bug fix: Fixed memory leaks and optimized internal table use.
* Internal: Cleaned up compiler warnings in source, removed dead code.
* Internal: Removed frame size calculation hack.
New Features in PMMPEG 2.0:
* Toolbar with tape controls (Play/Stop/Rewind/Step/Size/Color/Loop)
* Accept MPEG filename on command line and automatically play it
- Useful for Mosaic, Desktop Object, Associating all MPEG movies
* Command line options for playback size, color and looping
* Configuration data saved between runs
* Drag/Drop MPEG movie onto PMMPEG
* Double size playback is possible both in Color and Grayscale
* Now plays more movies than Release 1 could handle
PMMPEG is a Shareware program. The cost is $15 and has been bargain priced
to recoup some of the development, postage and network costs associated
with distributing it.
PMMPEG can be ftp'd from ftp.cdrom.com. It's currently in the
/pub/os2/incoming directory as pmmpeg21.zip, but will be moved shortly to
SES Computing, Inc.