Full Description of File
4OS2 2.0 patch file, updates 4OS2 2.0 16-bit
and 32-bit versions from rev B to rev C.
ONLY USEFUL if you already have 4OS2 2.0 rev
B, not needed by new users. To check your
current 4OS2 version use VER /R. Also
requires patch program (see 4DPATCH.ZIP).
Contents of the 4OS220C.DOC file
4OS2 2.0 rev B ==> 2.0 rev C Patch Documentation
February 8, 1994
Copyright 1994, JP Software Inc., All Rights Reserved. Published by JP
Software Inc., P.O. Box 1470, E. Arlington, MA 02174 USA, (617)
646-3975. 4DOS is a registered trademark of JP Software Inc.
This file explains how to install the 4OS2 2.0 rev C patches.
To use the patch, you must have:
* JP Software's PATCH.EXE program. This program is in a separate
file, PATCH.ZIP on CompuServe, or 4DPATCH.ZIP on bulletin boards
and the Internet. [* See note below.]
* A copy of 4OS2 2.0 rev B. The simplest way to check your
revision level is to use the 4OS2 VER /R command. This command
will also show whether you are running the 16-bit version of 4OS2
("4OS2/16") or the 32-bit version ("4OS2/32"). You will need this
information to apply the proper revision C patch.
If you find you have rev A of 4OS2 2.0, you must download an
additional patch file and update your current copy of 4OS2 to rev B
before you can apply this latest rev C patch. To update from rev A
to rev B you need the patch file 4O20B.ZIP, which should be
available from the same place where you got this rev C file.
To use this patch, use the VER command to determine whether you are
running 4OS2/16 or 4OS2/32. Then copy the corresponding revision C
patch file to to the directory where your 4OS2 version 2.0 files are
stored. Copy 4O20C16.RTP for 4OS2/16, or 4O20C32.RTP for 4OS2/32.
(Note that the second character of each filename is the letter "oh", the
fourth character of each name is the digit zero.) Make sure JP
Software's PATCH.EXE is in the same directory, or in a directory on your
PATH, then enter the appropriate command:
patch 4o20c16 (for 4OS2/16)
patch 4o20c32 (for 4OS2/32)
(Don't worry about running the "wrong" patch by mistake. The PATCH
program won't patch your 4OS2 files unless the proper original file is
This patch converts 4OS2 2.0 rev B to version 2.0 rev C. It modifies
only 4OS2.EXE, all other files are unchanged from rev B. Branding (name
and serial number) information in your 4OS2.EXE file will be preserved
in the modified file.
If you want to test 4OS2.EXE to make sure the patch worked, restart your
4OS2 session, then use the VER /R command. This command will report
"4OS2 Revision B" (if the patch did not work) or "4OS2 Revision C" (if
it did work).
If you are short on disk space and receive a message that there is not
enough space to perform the patch, you can use a command like this to
reduce the disk space required:
patch /noundo 4o20c32
This will make recovery slightly more difficult in the unlikely event of
a power failure or similar problem during the patch process, but will
reduce the disk space required to perform the patch.
4OS2 version 2.0 revision C includes the following changes to version
2.0 revision B:
* Fixed a problem with running PM applications (4OS2 wasn't waiting
for them to return).
* Fixed a problem with nested aliases with leading whitespace.
* 4OS2 now checks for an error return on normal output and will
invoke the ON ERROR command if one has been set up. This allows
you to use ON ERROR to catch errors in redirected output from
* Fixed a problem with extended parent directory names (e.g.
CD ....) on HPFS drives.
* Fixed a problem with negative numbers in %@EVAL under 4OS2-16.
* Fixed problems in 4OS2/32 with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-Break: at the
very end of a batch file with ON BREAK active, and at the prompt
after an @EXEC in the PROMPT.
* DETACH: Fixed problems in the handling of redirection (|, <, >)
and conditionals (&&, ||).
* DIR: Fixed a problem with 0-byte DESCRIPT.ION files.
* DIR and SELECT: Fixed a problem with displaying file dates after
* DO: Fixed a problem with DO UNTIL which required two ENDDOs for
the loop to work.
* DRAWBOX: Now accepts SHADOW and ZOOM in either order.
* GOTO: Fixed a problem with the /I switch.
* GLOBAL: Now checks to see if you've done a QUIT / CANCEL from
within the GLOBAL command.
* IF / IFF: now strip leading whitespace from the IF test
* LIST: Fixed a problem with /W and lines of exactly the screen
width; fixed problems with files over 64K long.
* LOG: Changed LOG so it won't try to look for options anywhere
but at the beginning of the line.
* MOVE and RENAME: Now return an error code if no files were moved
* SELECT: Can now be nested in other SELECTs; SELECT will now only
add double quotes to HPFS names with embedded whitespace or
special characters; and other minor problems in handling HPFS
names have been fixed.
* SETDOS: SETDOS /A2 will now force the %_ANSI variable to 0.