Contents of the README.DOC file
VIPER VLB Installation/Utilities/Drivers Diskette v1.02
Release 1.02 of the Viper VLB Installation/Utilities/Drivers Diskette
includes changes to a number of items, including the Windows 3.1 drivers,
the VPRMODE.EXE utility program, and the GO.EXE installation program. These
1. The problem with MS Access has been corrected.
2. The "flashing" cursor seen in some low resolution modes has been fixed.
3. Performance of the Windows drivers have been improved in a number of
areas, including text handling and circle drawing.
1. Several new monitor types have been added to the Monitor Menu.
2. The default memory base address for the Viper VLB has been changed
from A0000000 to 80000000. This was done to offer greater compatibility
with VESA Local Bus motherboards. The A0000000 address remains one of
the six options for the memory base address.
3. The VESA BIOS Extentions (VPRMODE VESA) have been changed to eliminate
lockup problems with some applications (CSHOW, FRACTINT, VPIC).
Additionally, the palette roll feature in VPIC is now supported in
resolutions below 1152x960.
1. GO.EXE will now automatically run the VPRMODE program during first-time
installations, eliminating potential software initialization problems.
2. The TurboDLD Deluxe drivers are now included on the
Installation/Utilities/Drivers diskette, eliminating the need for a
separate ACAD driver disk.
** IMPORTANT VIPER VLB SOFTWARE INSTALLATION NOTES **
1. DO NOT INSTALL THE VIPER VLB WINDOWS 3.1 DRIVERS INTO YOUR WINDOWS
DIRECTORY. DUPLICATE FILES NAMES EXIST!!
2. It is best to use the VPRMODE.EXE utility to properly configure
the Viper VLB for your monitor BEFORE using Windows 3.1 or AutoCAD.
!!! BEFORE USING THE VIPER VLB WINDOWS 3.1 OR AUTOCAD DRIVERS, USE !!!
!!! GO.EXE TO INSTALL THE VIPER VLB UTILITIES, AND USE VPRMODE.EXE !!!
!!! TO PROPERLY CONFIGURE THE VIPER VLB FOR YOUR MONITOR !!!
** IMPORTANT WINDOWS 3.1 DRIVER INSTALLATION/CONFIGURATION NOTES **
1. When the Windows 3.1 drivers are copied to your hard drive, a
driver setup & configuration utility, INSTALL.EXE, is also copied.
INSTALL.EXE should be used from within Windows to setup Windows
for the Viper VLB.
2. Insure that Windows is configured for standard VGA mode before
using INSTALL.EXE. This can be done with the SETUP.EXE program found
in your WINDOWS subdirectory.
3. INSTALL.EXE should be started by using the File|Run command in the
Windows Program Manager (File|Run C:\VIPER\WIN31\INSTALL).
4. After running INSTALL.EXE from within Windows, a Diamond Viper Setup
icon will be placed into the Windows Control Panel. The Diamond
Viper Setup program can be used to change resolutions, colors, fonts,
and palette type.
VPRMODE.EXE command line and menu driven mode and monitor setting
utility. Use VPRMODE.EXE to configure the Viper VLB
for your particular monitor, to change the VIPER VLB
memory address, to select a text display mode, and to
run Viper VLB diagnostics.
VPRMODE saves monitor timing information to the
NOTES: 1. use VPRMODE ? for command line option list.
2. the VPRMODE monitor configuration save screen
may be displayed after running some of the
VPRMODE commands. If this happens, select
ENTER to save. The screen will not appear again.
3. KNOW YOUR MONITOR! Please refer to your monitor
manual or manufacturer for correct monitor timing
information before running VPRMODE, and before
contacting Diamond for technical assistance. If
you do not have this information, DIAMOND WILL
NOT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU with VPRMODE problems.
VIP.EXE utility which will display or write to a file important
system configuration information which can be used as
an aid in trouble-shooting. Type VIP to display to screen,
and VIP to save to a file.
NOTES: 1. the VPRMODE save configuration screen may be
displayed after running VIP. If this happens,
select Enter to save. The screen will not
VDIAG.EXE diagnotic utility which will display color test patterns
in each resolution supported.
NOTES: 1. to test extended modes, load the VESA BIOS
extentions before running VDIAG. This can
be done by typing VPRMODE VESA at the command
CHKPATH.EXE utility which checks the PATH environment variable for the
specified string. Is used in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file with
the VIPERPATH statement.
MD2.EXE utility which allows for the creation of multiple
sub-directories. Used by VPRMODE.EXE.
VIPER.INI this file is used to store the monitor and configuration
information for the Viper VLB, and is updated each
time you choose to Save Configuration from the VPRMODE.EXE
program. Drivers find the location of the VIPER.INI file
by checking the VIPERPATH environment variable.
VIPERPATH an environment variable which is used by device drivers
(Windows 3.1, AutoCAD) to locate the VIPER.INI file.
This variable is set by the DOS SET command, and is
automatically appended to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file during
Viper VLB Utility installation.
!!!!! IMPORTANT !!!!!
THE VIPER.INI FILE AND THE VIPERPATH STATEMENT ARE
NEEDED FOR PROPER USE OF THE VIPER VLB WINDOWS AND
AUTOCAD DRIVERS! DO NOT REMOVE THEM FROM YOUR SYSTEM.