Sloop Manager, version 1.2c by Sloop Software
(c)Copyright 1991 Sloop Software a member of the ASP
Sloop Manager is the complete graphical replacement for MS Windows 3.0
Program Manager. It has virtually all the features of Program Manager plus
a host of new ones.
- the ability to create folders (groups) within folders
- move or copy items from folder to folder using drag/drop
- run command with browse button which also stores last twelve commands
- associate command that allows multiple programs to be associated
with a single extension
- save location and size of folder as well as item positions
- use virtually any icon on the system to represent items
- display items as icons or just names
- password protection
- multi-select capability in adding, deleting, moving or
copying folder items
- startup folder may be used to remove need to edit WIN.INI
- simple, easy to use icon browser dialog
- command bar for quick access to often used commands
- customizable popup run menu
To install Sloop Manager or to install a new version of Sloop Manager,
follow the steps below. Note that you may import any folders created
with our Folders program, provided it is version 3.1 or later.
Important: If installing over an old version of Sloop Manager, it is
suggested you backup your sloopman data directory, just in case there
is a problem during the install process.
1. Insert the Sloop Manager, disk 1 into the appropriate drive.
2. From Program Manager, or Sloop Manager (if running), select the Run
command and type in a:install.exe. If using the b drive, substitute
a: with b:.
If you are currently running Sloop Manager as the shell, you will be
able to restart Windows with Program Manager as the shell at this
point. After restarting, run the install program again. Re-installing
is not possible while Sloop Manager is running as the shell.
3. Follow the directions for installing or re-installing the software.
The install program will copy all needed files to your system and, if
re-installing, update the Sloop Manager system to run with the new
Should this process fail for any reason, follow the instructions for the
manual install process in the file trouble.txt.
Note that the program will not run under Real mode of Windows.
If you converted an existing Folders system to Sloop Manager, you may
delete your folders data directory and the files FOLDERS.EXE,
FOLDERS.HLP and FOLDERS.INI, if you so desire. This will remove Folders
from your system as it is not needed if you have Sloop Manager.
Uninstalling Sloop Manager:
1. Edit the SYSTEM.INI file, found in the Windows directory, using an
editor like Notepad.
2. Find the line which reads: shell=sloopman.exe
Change the line to read: shell=progman.exe
3. Save and close the SYSTEM.INI file.
4. Restart Windows. Program Manager should now start as the shell.
Files on disk:
SLOOPMAN.EXE - the executable for Sloop Manager
SLOOPMAN.HLP - Sloop Manager help file
SLOOPMAN.WRI - documentation on Sloop Manager
SLOOPMAN.ICL - icon library
SLOOPMAN.FL1 - file for manual install
SLPMAN.INI - initialization file for manual install
BWCC.DLL - dialog link library
SMTOOLS.DLL - command bar link library
INSTALL.EXE - Sloop Manager install program
METER.DLL - install link library
SETUP.INF - setup information
GRPCONV.EXE - group conversion utility
SMTRASH.EXE - trashcan utility
README.TXT - this file
ORDERFRM.TXT - order form
TROUBLE.TXT - troubleshooting information
VENDOR.DOC - shareware vendor information
Note that this is a shareware program. As such, you may use it on a trial
basis for thirty days. After this time, the program should be registered
if it is continued to be used. The cost is $35 for the latest version and
a printed manual. For $30 you receive the latest version, but no manual.
Please add $2.00 for shipping and handling. The fee is payable to:
6457 Mesedge Lane
Colorado Springs, CO 80919
Be sure and specify your name, address, name of the program and where
you obtained the program when registering. Also, specify 3.5" or 5.25"
disk. Colorado residents, please add 6% sales tax.
Direct any comments to the above address or email to CompuServe
(id 72540,144), Internet (id [email protected]
) or America Online
(id Sloop Soft). Customer support is available to registered users and
to unregistered users during their trial period. For information on site
licenses, see the end of this file.
You may charge your registered version of this program with VISA,
MASTERCARD or AMERICAN EXPRESS, by calling the Software Shopper
order line at (800) 847-0309. Outside the United States, call
(502) 228-4492 or fax to (502) 228-5121 or mail your order to:
The Falsoft Building
PO Box 385
Prospect, KY 40059
Registration fees and technical support for registered programs are
as stated in the author's documentation. Please contact the author
for technical assistance with this software. Software Shopper
assumes no technical or legal liability for software purchased
through the order service.
For upgrades or site licenses, order from Sloop Software directly.
For foreign orders, contact the nearest local distributor. Or, send US
funds to our US address.
In the UK, contact: In Australia, contact:
The Thompson Partnership BudgetWare
10, Church Croft PO Box 496
Bramshall, UTTOXETER Newtown, NSW 2042 Australia
Staffordshire, ST14 5DE. England (02) 519-4233 voice
Fax/Telephone 0889 564601 (02) 516-4236 fax
International +44 889 56460
In Japan, contact: In Germany, contact:
Personal Data Factory Michael Sieber
Shimoueki-cho 451-3 Albert-Schweitzer-Strasse 4
Isesaki-shi DW 2300 Kronshagen
Gunma-ken 372, Japan Germany
This program is produced by a member of the Association of Shareware
Professionals (ASP). ASP wants to make sure that the shareware principle
works for you. If you are unable to resolve a shareware-related problem
with an ASP member by contacting the member directly, ASP may be able to
help. The ASP Ombudsman can help you resolve a dispute or problem with an
ASP member, but does not provide technical support for members' products.
Please write to the ASP Ombudsman at 545 Grover Road, Muskegon, MI 49442
or send a CompuServe message via CompuServe Mail to ASP Ombudsman,
Changes from version 1.2 (1.2b)
- considerably improved performance
- clicking right mouse button on commandbar brings up Run dialog
- commandbar push buttons replaced with icon buttons
- Edit run menu command moved to Special menu and now only available from
main Sloop Manager window
- keyboard interface improved; typing in a letter selects the item whose
name begins with that letter
- confirm exit from Windows option added to global options dialog
Changes from version 1.1a,b,c (1.2)
- added CommandBar, InfoBar and customizable popup run menu
- added working directory property to item properties
- trashcan utility provided
Changes from version 1.1 (1.1a)
- increased limit on icon browser dialog to allow it to read up to 400
icons per a file rather than 200
- the Run Minimized option now works with DOS applications
Changes from version 1.0 (1.1)
- added various global options to control confirmation on deletes and saves
as well as startup options
- added Startup folder which will execute any items in it upon Windows
startup removing the need to edit the WIN.INI file
- combined Item Name, Filename and Commandline commands into single
Properties command under the Edit menu
- added checkboxes to run items minimized or maximized
- added DDE link to allow other programs to install themselves into
Sloop Manager as they do into Program Manager (note that link will
not always work, depending on how the install program was written)
- provided group conversion utility GRPCONV.EXE to convert ProgMan groups
to SloopMan folders
- program will no longer run in Real mode
Changes from version 1.0 (1.0a,b,c,d,e)
- corrected incompatibility with Share (a)
- support added for 32000 colors display drivers (c)
Current program limitations
- cannot read pre-Win 3.0 icons
- cannot read 64x64 size icons
- program does not work in Windows 3.0 debug mode (does work in 3.1 debug)
- cannot drag items from File Manager to Sloop Manager under Win 3.0
Some of these limitations should be removed by the next version.
SITE LICENSE INFO
Site licenses for this program are available at the following prices:
Cost per machine
#Machineswith manual/without manual
Up to ten master disks will be provided. If no manuals are ordered, up to
five manuals will be provided as part of the package. Copies of the disks
and manual may be made up to the number of machines licensed. Or,
additional disks are available at $3 each and additional manuals at $5 each.