Contents of the README.1ST file
Provides free form text storage and quick
retrival thru powerful search routines.
Store up to 400 topics, 32K per topic in
categories. Hypertext type search. Every
word treated as keyword. Input by typing,
Clipboard, or importing. Shareware, $39 by
Handyware. Full support during evaluation,
no crippling, full release, no Nags.
JOURNAL 3.0 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
This file contains important information on installing and starting
Journal. To install Journal you must use the Setup program as the files are distributed in compressed format. If you received the program from a bulletin board, first expand the files into a subdirectory and run Setup from that directory.
To install from a floppy in drive A:
1. Place the floppy disk in drive A
2. Quit any other Visual Basic programs that may be running (you may well not know a program was written in Visual Basic, but if Setup doesn't run it will tell if the reason is because another Visual Basic program is running. You may have to quite programs until you unload the Visual Basic program.)
3. Using the Program Manager, File, Run Menu selection or the File Manager, File, Run selection switch to drive A and run SETUP.
4. Setup will prompt you for the subdirectory where you want to install Journal; default is C:\Journal, but can be changed.
5. After the installation is complete, you will be asked if you want to view an Introduction to Journal. If you have not used the program before we highly recommend you look at this introduction. It is actually a part of the Help File.
6. After viewing the Introduction, Setup closes down. You can then go to the Program Manager and launch the program. The first time Journal runs, it will prompt you for various setup fonts. These can all be easily changed from within Journal. When you first start up Journal, a Quick Tutorial on the Help menu will acquaint you quickly with the main features of the program.
7. The Journal reference manual is distributed as a Journal category. The Quick Start Tutorial goes through loading the manual. If you choose not to work the tutorial, the manual can be loaded as follows:
- Click the far right button (labeled blank). This will open the Configure Categories screen. Now look under the ADD frame, JOUMAN should appear as a category that is present on the disk. Click JOUMAN in the list and the ADD button. Now, Click the DONE button to return to the Journal main screen. .
- Click the jouman button, this will load the Journal Reference Manual. Loaded categories have their button labels in upper case and red color.
8. The How to menu in the Help file has a lot of useful information on how to use Journal to its full potential.