Cool Edit v.1.51 is a waveform editor
with features such as: Echo, Flange,
Reverb, Stretch/Pitch Change, Compress,
Brainwave Synchronizer, Noise Reducer,
Envelope, Filter, Distortion, and
more. Supports most every file format.
Cue and Play list. View waves as
amplitude or frequency plots. Analyze
component frequencies. Scripts let
you play back complex operations.
Cool Edit 1.51
Copy (or unzip) all the files into their own program directory, like C:\COOL or
something similar. From File Manager, select COOL.EXE and drag it into your
favorite Program Manager group. Alternately, you can go File->New from Program
Manager and select Browse, then find COOL.EXE and choose it.
There have been some nice new features added since 1.34. Luckily, the final
ZIP size did not increase 'that' much. If you wish to save space on your hard
drive, it is OK to remove any of the .FLT files you want. Each .FLT file
allows Cool Edit to load a certain file format. If there are formats that you
never use, you can delete the associated .FLT file for that format. For
example, if you never use the Next/Sun AU file format, then delete the file
AU.FLT from your \COOL program directory. You may also remove .XFM files if
there are effects that you never use. Please keep the STRETCH.XFM, FILTER.XFM
and AMPLIFY.XFM modules though, as they are crucial for operation in other
parts of the program.
Following are the new features, enhancements, and bug fixes since version 1.50:
* Added support for Microsoft ACM file formats
* New Zero-Crossing function (F4) finds the zero crossings
* Added A-Law, mu-Law, byte-reversed, and unsigned formats to PCM raw data
* Added optional header to PCM raw data format
* Added a 5-bit IMA ADPCM compression for higher quality ADPCM at 25% more
* Record level meters with logarithmic display and right-mouse config menu
* Record level meters made larger, and display on playback and record as well
* User defined number of Undo levels
* Functions work on entire waveform when no selection is made
* Undo Music wasn't working properly
* Invalid undo directory is handled properly now
* Paste Special gave "not enough memory for undo" when not necessary
* Toolbar help popups do not disable keyboard anymore
* Moved location of 'fact' chunk in WAV files for more compatibility
Following are the new features, enhancements, and bug fixes since version 1.34:
* Merge button added to Cue list to concatonate two cue items into one range.
* Added Open Append function and the ability to open multiple files into a
single Cool Edit instance.
* Three-level undo incorporated so you can Undo the last 3 actions.
* Added 6000Hz VOX file format.
* New Reverb function is ideal for simulating room spaces from shower stalls
to grand amphitheatres.
* New RMS option added to Compressor function so the exact output RMS value
can be generated for any RMS input value.
* New Cool Edit Lite option now available for those who don't need all the
extra widgets and gizmos.
* New registration address in Arizona. I have started a new company called
Syntrillium Software Corporation.
* Application startup time sped up by not checking for CD-ROM drive at app
startup, but instead checking only when opening the CD Player.
* Clicking on the 'black' area of the green slider bar pages one screen left or
* Cue items may be added to the cue list by pressing F8 or Add while audio is
playing or recording to mark the current play or record position.
* Cue list markers now display as red arrows, and cue range indicators display
as blue brackets above and below the waveform display.
* Current play time is displayed in the window when audio is playing.
* Added hand icon to graphs to more easily edit graphs.
* Made separate Undo and Temp directories.
* Convert Sample Type function is now undoable as well.
* Added a maximum display size in Settings, so only the first N seconds will
be displayed, instead of the entire waveform if desired.
* Added option to Info to keep Cool Edit from adding extra RIFF info.
* Added more FFT sizes to the Noise Reduction function.
* Added final length setting to Stretch function so data can be entered as a
percentage of stretching, or new stretched length.
* VOX formats will prompt "Convert to ...?" instead of auto-converting.
* Transform and Generate menu items and toolbar items are now sorted
alphabetically (except for Reverse, Silence, Invert and Music).
* Green slider bar made more apparent (bigger) to be easier to use.
* Dithering to 8-bit audio had rail-to-rail spikes if original 16-bit audio
* Single channel Noise Reduction and Filtering was corrupt.
* Sometimes Noise Reduction would halt at 99% and never complete.
* EQ presets for Echo function, and Stretch presets were a little flakey.
* GP Fault occurred when cursor was out of view and Play was pressed in Play
From Cursor mode.
* Adjusted play bar speed to (hopefully) work properly for Sound Blaster Pros.
* 8-bit Stretch function truncated all negative values (very weird!)
* Stretching waves that were near clipping used to distort.
* AU file filter saved 8-bit audio improperly, or only wrote a header.
* There was a possible problem with Undo corrupting previous instances' undo
buffers. Also in an intermediate build the Undo buffers were never erased.
* Sound Blaster cards used to give Divede By Zero when Play was pressed.
Thanks to everyone who sent in suggestions and found bugs and such! I have
fixed all the bigs, and implemented some of the suggested features. But I
still did not have time to get around to them all.
Check out the Cool Edit Home Page at http://www.ep.se/cool/ courtesy of
To Register, see the Registration section of COOL.HLP (choose Help->Contents
from within Cool Edit). I have 3 registration levels that you can choose
$50 - Basic Registration. You will receive a registration number that will
unlock your copy so you can use any function at any time.
$100 - Preferred Registration. You will receive a registration number, and
automatically receive ShareWare updates as they are released. You are
also placed on my 'preferred' list which will entitle you to other
goodies in the future.
$25 - Lite Version. You will receive a registration number that will turn
your copy into a registered wave editor with only the bare wave editing
essentials. If you have no need for all the fancy effects offered by
Cool Edit, then register at this level.
Send a check drawn on a US bank, or US money order to:
Syntrillium Software Corporation
P.O. Box 60274
Phoenix, AZ 85082-0274
email: [email protected]
Cool Edit is (c)1992-1995 David Johnston and (c)1995 Syntrillium Corporation