Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.announce
From: [email protected] (moderator)
Subject: 100 New Uploads to CICA
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:26:10 GMT

[Following is the list of the lastest 100 uploads to
ftp.cica.indiana.edu compliments of Mike Regoli. As usual,
all spelling, philosophical errors are my own. - sean]

Files Updated: Mon Jan 24 1994 at 10:48:54 PM EST

File: winword/insert.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Small macro to insert non-common chars easy and quick

File: winword/542xug.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Winword format of 542x user guide / rel 1.41

File: util/wr110upd.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Update to Wave Rider BlueWave and QWK reader

File: util/spellsen.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Win spell checker: checks/corrects .wri/.txt/clipboard

File: util/mmtyp03b.zip Date: 940124
Desc: MasterMind Typing Tutor for Win 3.x (Ver 1.03) 2of2

File: util/mmtyp03a.zip Date: 940124
Desc: MasterMind Typing Tutor for Win 3.x (Ver 1.03) 1of2

File: sounds/alcomp11.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Aleatoric Composer Music System for Windows

File: programr/vbasic/vh.zip Date: 940124
Desc: MicroHelp VBTools Demonstration Program

File: pagemkr/pmtags.exe Date: 940124
Desc: Check/fix style tags in PageMaker ASCII import files

File: pagemkr/pminfo.exe Date: 940124
Desc: Print info about Page Setup and Styles in a PM5 File

File: pagemkr/pm5tips.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Aldus Technical Docs on Pagemaker

File: pagemkr/pm50a.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Aldus Pagemaker 5.0a Interim Release Update Files

File: nt/k5426-d5.zip Date: 940124
Desc: GD5426/28 Drivers for Win NT 3.1 release 1.41

File: fonts/sfonts10.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Greek/Hebrew/Latin fonts & Right to Left Util

File: drivers/video/k5426-d2.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Win 3.1 drivers VER 1.32b for cirrus 5426/5428 v1.41

File: desktop/phbar21.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Windows PhoneBar 2.1

File: desktop/ecotrash.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Another drag and drop trashcan

File: desktop/cpmagic.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Business graphics/presentation manager (2.3mb)

File: access/outputas.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Add-in to simplify report exports to winword,Excel,txt

File: access/export.zip Date: 940124
Desc: Access db tool

File: winword/wbook17u.zip Date: 940122
Desc: WordBook V1.7 is a WinWord Address/Phone Book Manager

File: util/bcards.zip Date: 940121
Desc: BusinessCards free form database program

File: sounds/spacial.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Digitized Music in a wav file (2.3mb zipfile)

File: pagemkr/table.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Update for Aldus Pagemaker Table Editor

File: pagemkr/gifimp.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Installs a GIF graphics import filter for PM (any ver)

File: nt/nt16faq.zip Date: 940121
Desc: FAQ to list Win-16 Software that will run under NT

File: icons/marsic25.zip Date: 940121
Desc: MarsIcon-Current view of Mars in icon w/clock

File: icons/gredsp35.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Jupiter's Great Red Spot in an icon

File: games/danog.zip Date: 940121
Desc: danog is a fly around and shoot things game

File: desktop/earths25.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Earth's Sunny Side in Dynamic Icon

File: access/sql2va.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Fmt long SQL stmnt and assign to Access or VB variable

File: access/hlpanl.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Access Help Analyzer

File: access/first.zip Date: 940121
Desc: FIRSTLIB is a Microsoft Access library database

File: access/carry.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Access database tool

File: access/adst2.zip Date: 940121
Desc: ADSTools is a developer's tool for Microsoft Access

File: access/acexpo.zip Date: 940121
Desc: Access Export v1.3

File: access/accpac.zip Date: 940121
Desc: compact or repair your MS Access databases

File: winword/dwhat.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Dave's Windows Help Template for Word4Win v6.0

File: util/w_one46.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Win_One Enhanced DOS Command Shell for Win 3.1

File: util/pwf20.zip Date: 940120
Desc: A front end for Phil Zimmermanns PGP

File: util/macsee3b.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Read/Write Macintosh Disks on Your PC (1/18/94 ver)

File: misc/winjdic.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Japanese Dictionary for Windows (WinJDIC)

File: misc/supmk110.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Super!Market v1.10 creates shopping list quickly

File: misc/jvrbs1de.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Japanese Verbs reference and study program

File: fonts/pa57.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Printer's Apprentice Font Management System (v5.70)

File: desktop/wnotes21.zip Date: 940120
Desc: WillNotes 2.1 Sticky Notes System

File: desktop/pegif.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Freeware desktop menuing utility/fast program launch

File: desktop/cripwin1.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Crip for Windows 1.0 Internet Message Program

File: demo/xwindemo.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Fully functional PC X server under MS Windows 3.1

File: access/dejean.zip Date: 940120
Desc: Access db to track classical/non-classical recordings

File: winsock/tsync1_4.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Winsock app sets your PC's clock to match a remote host

File: util/winup9.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Updated Windows client package for Novell NetWare

File: util/winima20.zip Date: 940119
Desc: WinImage 1.0:Powerful Windows disk copy tool

File: util/proqwk11.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Rename .QWK packets in ProComm Plus/WIN

File: util/paywin10.zip Date: 940119
Desc: PayWindow, automated payroll package

File: sounds/sbpupd.exe Date: 940119
Desc: More Latest Updated Sound Blaster Pro Drivers

File: programr/vbasic/vbwsk01a.zip Date: 940119
Desc: A Winsock Custom Control for Visual Basic (V0.1 alpha)

File: programr/vbasic/vbkb_tip.zip Date: 940119
Desc: VB Knowledge Base 12/93 Tips and Hints (.hlp)

File: programr/vbasic/vbkb_bug.zip Date: 940119
Desc: VB Knowledge Base 12/93 Bugs and work-arounds (.hlp)

File: misc/wtp2.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Windows 3.1 Book, Study of Democracy

File: misc/winlatin.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Windows Latin Tutor

File: misc/helpinfo.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Text file to help you w/the MS Windows Help Complier

File: misc/help30.exe Date: 940119
Desc: Ami Pro macros to create RTFs to .HLP documents

File: misc/gmw202.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Grocery, Menu and Food Shopping Organizer

File: misc/fed2_1.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Windows 3.1 Book, The Federalist Papers

File: misc/extract.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Extracts ASCII datafiles into comma delimited files

File: games/solo0-02.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Make new games by dragging and dropping objects

File: desktop/wlock16u.zip Date: 940119
Desc: WinLock - Access Control System for Windows

File: desktop/winworks.zip Date: 940119
Desc: Organize your Windows Wallpaper

File: demo/reunion.zip Date: 940119
Desc: DEMO of Reunion for Windows a Genealogy db program

File: util/windlr14.zip Date: 940118
Desc: Win$ - Financial Calculator for Windows 3.0

File: patches/symantec/30a02.zip Date: 940118
Desc: NAV 3.0's definitions update for AntiVirus Lab

File: nt/v7mirnt.exe Date: 940118
Desc: Latest Spea V7 Mirage Video drivers for Windows/NT

File: fonts/typefac3.zip Date: 940118
Desc: Typefacial is a powerful typeface viewer

File: excel/astute.zip Date: 940118
Desc: Astute Statistics Add-In for Microsoft Excel 4 and 5

File: desktop/winfli.zip Date: 940118
Desc: View Autodesk Animator files from within windows

File: desktop/vueprint.zip Date: 940118
Desc: Windows JPEG/GIF Display & Print Utility

File: desktop/poster22.zip Date: 940118
Desc: Stickup notes program for Windows

File: desktop/nmfw11if.zip Date: 940118
Desc: New Menus: Win-Shell and Enhncmnt like OpenLook 2of2

File: desktop/nmfw11i.zip Date: 940118
Desc: New Menus: Win-Shell and Enhncmnt like OpenLook 1of2

File: desktop/lp_pad20.zip Date: 940118
Desc: Launch Pad v1: pallete of 24 buttons to launch apps

File: winsock/qvtws396.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Windows-Sockets compliant version of TCP/IP WinQVT/Net

File: winsock/hgoph24.zip Date: 940117
Desc: H gopher 2.4 is a Winsock compliant gopher client

File: util/wwagees1a.zip Date: 940117
Desc: WinWages v1.0a - Wage Calculator for Windows

File: util/wscan111.zip Date: 940117
Desc: McAfee Viruscan for Windows 3.1 ver 1.11

File: sounds/wdisc320.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Easy to use, powerful audio CD player

File: nt/qvtnt395.zip Date: 940117
Desc: 3.96 release of WinQVT/Net for Windows NT

File: nt/pt04bp13 Date: 940117
Desc: Multithreaded Terminal Emulator w/Zmodem

File: misc/wolr36.zip Date: 940117
Desc: WinOnLine Review SHAREWARE EDITION #36

File: misc/ozw103m.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 13/13

File: misc/ozw103l.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 12/13

File: misc/ozw103k.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 11/13

File: misc/ozw103j.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 10/13

File: misc/ozw103i.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 9/13

File: misc/ozw103h.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 8/13

File: misc/ozw103g.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 7/13

File: misc/ozw103f.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 6/13

File: misc/ozw103e.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 5/13

File: misc/ozw103d.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 4/13

File: misc/ozw103c.zip Date: 940117
Desc: Analysis / mapping of census/retail/GIS data 3/13

--
sean graham moderator, comp.os.ms-windows.announce

#! rnews 2594
From: [email protected] (Tom Servo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games
Subject: Doom Modem League Information
Date: 24 Jan 94 23:06:07 GMT

DOOM MODEM LEAGUE INFORMATION:

So far, signups for the Doom Modem League are going well. We have about
30 members, and hopefully we should have 50+ by the time DOOM v1.2 is
released. If you sent me e-mail with the signup information, your name
is on the mailing list. If you have not, or if you would like to know
more about the DML, just read on.

1. What is the purpose of the Doom Modem League [DML]?

The DML is a service which will help you find a person to play Modem Doom
with who is a local call. Basically, I have a list of all the members
with their e-mail address, area code and city. About once a month, all
members will receive a letter with a current list of members. You will
be able to look for a member that is located close to you, and set up a
game of DOOM with this person. If you can not afford to make long
distance calls, or just have no one to play Modem Doom with, the DML is
for you.

2. How do I join the DML?

Joining the DML is simple. Just e-mail me an application. An
application includes:
a) e-mail address
b) city
c) area code

3. What is in the future of the DML?

The DML plans to hold a DOOM tournament sometime in the near future, with
players from all across the USA competing. Look for more details in the
coming months.

4. What will I need to play Modem Doom?

Three things will be needed to play Modem Doom.
a) The game DOOM
b) a 386 or greater
c) a 9600 baud or higher modem

If you are reading this message, you obviously have a and b. If you do
not yet own a 9600+ modem, go out and buy one. 2400 and 1200 are almost
obsolete, with 14.4 being standard. AND without one, Modem Doom is not
possible.

Well, there is everything you need to know about the DML. If you have
any additional questions, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will
answer the question ASAP.

Tom Servo
DML Chairman

--
[email protected] "One swift knee in the happy-sacs and he'll drop like Encino, Califonia anyone else"
--- Dave Lister, Red Dwarf
From: [email protected] (Ian Pushee)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.games
Subject: Where find?Ultima7
Date: 25 Jan 94 04:53:33 GMT
Sender: -Not-Authenticated-[6577]
Xdisclaimer: No attempt was made to authenticate the sender's name.

While at a cousins house I got hooked on a great PC game called Ultima7
the Black Gate. Unfortunately I have a Mac, and see no reason in
getting a PC just to play a game (even one so amazing as this). Anyway,
recently, I heard that Ultima7 can also be bought for the Mac, but I
haven't beenable to find it. Could someone please give me the name of a
vendor who sells this game. Or at the verry least give me Origen Games'
(the games creator) address. Any help is appreciated.

Ian Pushee
[email protected]
#! rnews 3407
From: [email protected] (Chris Kilbourn)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm
Subject: Re: Hermes BBS Support
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:23:31 GMT

I've been away from my news for about two weeks, and I received a fantastic chuckle after reading through the threads surrounding the bruhaha (sp?)
over an account lost at the Hermes support BBS. I have to say that this is
very similar to an experience that I had with Lloyd when he purchased
Hermes:

About two years ago, I had an account on Pacific Macintosh (Lloyd's
BBS) under the account name The Cruiser. I enjoyed that BBS immensely, and
met quite a few great people, including a close friend. Then one day, Lloyd
announced that hw was going to charge $20 or so for access to the system.
"To offset costs" or some other rationale as I recall. There was to be a
grace period of about three weeks, after which time, non-paying users of
the BBS would have severe access restrictions. Anyway, after about two weeks,
Lloyd proudly imforms all the users that he has purchased Hermes, and how
wonderful it will be for us local users to have Pacific Macintosh also be
the support board for Hermes.

Well, this got me to thinking, and I posted my speculation on the
board. My idle speculation? That Lloyd instituted the fee to help finance
the purchase of Hermes. Sounds reasonable to me. You're a business, you
need to raise capital to finance an acqusition, you rasie prices. What
happened on civilization's last bastion of free speech, the BBS? My post was
removed within the hour, and I received e-mail from Lloyd that any further
postings on this topic would subject me to account deletion. Being the
inquisitive soul that I am, I e-mailed him back, and as I recall, asked him
why he felt such drastic measures were necessary for asking a logical
question. I believe I also asked him if my postulation was true.

In any event, the answer I received to that e-mail was account
deletion. This puzzled me, so I dutifuly logged on as a new user, and in
feedback to the sysop, asked why I was deleted when I did not post the message
publically. I also asked him again if I was right or wrong. I was able to
log back onto that new account one more time, and was able to read a
particularly hostile message telling me it was none of my business. Perhaps
it wasn't, but it did seem to be overreacting a touch.

Never did get a straight answer though. Lloyd, perhaps you would
like to comment?

Chris Kilbourn
Administrative Computing Manager Antioch University Seattle
AppleLink: UG0224 2607 2nd Ave.
Internet: [email protected] Seattle, WA 98121
Voice:(206) 441-5352 x5503 Fax: (206) 441-3307
Apple Network Manager's Association (ANMA) Northwest Chapter President
All spelling errors are intentional, and meant to annoy spelling pedants.
#! rnews 952
From: [email protected] (Jose A. Cid)
Newsgroups: alt.cd-rom
Subject: Apple CD-ROM and PC clones.
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:31:31 GMT

Hi there.

I just gotta my Apple CD 300i, and it was just "plug and play" on
my PC. I am using a PAS16, and the CD is the only SCSI device.
Well, it was not exactly "plug and play" because I have to make
(or get somewere) the audio cable. It is required to make the
audio CD's work, and it seems to me to be only them, because I
get sound in every MM application.

See you,

Jose Cid.
--
Jose Cid | [email protected]
Case Western Reserve University | [email protected]
From: [email protected] (Robert Price)
Subject: Internet Connection Speed
Sender: [email protected] (netnews admin account)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 05:19:02 GMT

What is a reasonable speed for a modem. I understand that normal
telephone lines are reliable to 9600 baud, but much above that you
need special lines installed. Is this true or am I living in the
dark ages? That is: Are those people that are buying 14.4 Kbaud
modems wasting their money, or installing faster lines, or what?

I understand the physical principles, but I am ignorant of the facts.

RIP

*"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.*
* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - *
* Dr. Robert I. Price (308)234-8282 *
* Department of Physics *
* University of Nebraska at Internet address: *
* Kearney, Nebraska 68849-0538 [email protected] *

#! rnews 3257
From: [email protected] (Tom Drake)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
Subject: Survey!
Date: 25 Jan 1994 00:21:29 -0500

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit

Question --

How many of you actually use an 8-bit Atari to access this newsgroup and/or
use the full Internet from your 8-bit? No cheating! Let's hear from the
REAL 8-bitters! If not, (shame on you!), what system do you use as your
terminal/window to the wonderful world of comp.sys.atari.8bit??

As for me, I have a 320K 130XE + (the plus indicating an OMNI ROM with
80-columns, with old OS, new OS and more plus! other stuff!), running two
180K 1050s, a 2000+ sector D8: ramdrive, and the SX212 1200 (Ok, Ok!, I
should move up to faster) baud modem in direct connect mode, using the
absolutely amazing Kermit65 version 3.7 telecommunications software in
full 80-column VT100 terminal emulation mode with the R-Handler supplied
by the Bob Puff RVerter program.

(NOTE: If I wanted to, I could still do everything with a 90K 810 or
single-density drive, and a 48K Atari 400/800!!!!). Top that!! The Kermit
program comes with a software driven 80-column screen, 40-column or
scrolling screen, so it can also be used on the venerable 800!).

I access the network from my home and have the Sun Server at work set up
so my terminal type is vt100. I have found that the Kermit65 3.7 program
works extremely well with the Omnicom running about as well. (If there is
better out there, tell us!!!). Or even just a better way...... still tell us!

For downloading or transferring I use the full power of the network to
the Sun and then offload or upload via Xmodem (or Kermit!!) to my beloved
Atari!

I am running pine as my mailtool, pico as my default editor, and lynx
as the insanely cool killer World Wide Web VT100/ANSI Internet network
browser with hyperlinking, ALL FROM MY ATARI!!!!!!!! Plus more +++++!!
I can even do tildas ``````!!!!!!

As my OS, I am using SpartaDos 3.2d and have set up a startup batch
file which boots it all automatically with a few other options to include
having a dynamically updating date and time which is visible. Then all I
do is make a phone call!!

So ALL you 8-bitters out there - come on! - and tell us what you are
really using to communicate with the rest of us!

Looking for all setups to access here and the Internet -- the most
unusual, the most exotic, the most imaginative, best use of 8-bit
technology, the most minimal system (anybody using a 400??!!), the most
daring, the most innovative, the funniest, the cheapest, the craziest
setup, the most unique, ...

Let's find out how you REALLY access the network to communicate with your
fellow Atarians from around the world and share the common,
albeit unique experience of the 8-bit domain.

-- Tom

--
Thomas Drake [email protected] Booz Allen & Hamilton, Inc.
#! rnews 1719
From: [email protected] (Kendall Gelner)
Subject: Re: MiNT 1.04
Sender: [email protected] (netnews admin account)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 04:49:16 GMT

In article , Atari-ST Software wrote:
>In [email protected] ("Roland Givan") writes:
>
>>I've tried copying them into my compile directory, but don't really know
>>how to use 'patch'. I've tried all the obvious:
>[...]
>>patch < diff1819.txt
>This is the right way.
>
>>Only the last does anything remotely sensible, but this fails at the first
>>'hunk'.
>I had the same problem. But then I changed the sources and the patch files
>to Unix format (LF as end-of-line instead of CR+LF). After that patch
>worked fine.

Those of you out there that don't want to bother with this, can just
get the patch binaries from (I think) a.a.u.e in
atari/Mint/Misc/patch.zoo

The patch archive comes with two programs - patch and bpatch. Use the
bpatch one on the mint diffs.

--
---> Kendall Gelner ([email protected])

#! rnews 1237
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sinclair
From: [email protected] (Alan F. Perry)
Subject: Sinclair stuff for sale
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:10:54 GMT

The Sinclair is cute, but the NeXT is more cute.

I am selling my Sinclair stuff. I have:
TS 1000 computer and user manual
TS 1016 16K memory expansion module
Magnavox 4" B&W TV with RF converter
Software on cassette - Superdoodles, Money Analyser 2, The Organizer
Book - 50 1K/2K games for the TS 1000/1500
Generic power converters and video cable
Cassette cable

I would like to sell all of it in one batch. Make an offer. I was guessing
around $60, but that guess may be out of whack with reality.

--
Alan F. Perry | Life is short, but by achieving greater speeds
/dev/null Software | a man can make his life a little longer and
From: [email protected] (Nobukazu Toge)
Subject: [Q] Finder Scripting Ext. vs AD
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:12:09 GMT

This could well be a false alarm, but I seem to get conflicts between
Apple's Finder Scripting Extension v.1.0 (from AppleScript kit v.1.1)
and AfterDark 2.0x running under System 7.1 (not 7Pro) on a IIci.

The symptoms are that when I use "always password protect" option turned on
with AfterDark, (1) when I try to wake up the Mac from the AD's 'sleep'
(i.e. blank-out) mode, it wouldn't wake up even after I type in the
password, and (2) when I leave the Mac in the 'sleep' mode for a while
(say, overnight) the Finder tends to crash with an illegal instruction
error (it happened several times in a row). The module I use for
AfterDark is 'FadeAway'.

I recognize that there are a number of tests that I could do, and
I haven't (like, try other AD modules, disable all other non-Apple
extensions/control-panels, what if I don't password-protect, etc etc).
Yet I appreciate hearing comments saying whether other people are seeing
similar problems or not.
--
Nobu Toge
Internet: [email protected] AppleLink: n.toge
From: [email protected] (David G Rhoades)
Subject: Re: RFD: alt.support.tinnitus
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:16:00 GMT

Kurt Strain ([email protected]) wrote:
: : I would like to see this newsgroup started, also.

: Ditto for me.
An amatuer piano tuner with almost constant ringing says yes to
a newsgroup or a list.

#! rnews 1189
Date: 24 Jan 1994 21:52:30 -0000
From: [email protected] (Charles R. Tew)
Subject: Re(2): QUADRA VRAM for sale
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.wanted

Yes, it is qty 2 of the 256K vram simms. They are sold as a kit and intended
to be used together. If you want the Apple part number I can get it for you.
Just not available this second. Likewise if you are interested and tell me
what computer you want to put it into, I'll try to help determine the level
of colors you'll end up with. (will need to know your monitor size).

Thanks for your interest.

P.S. I check email 1-2 times per week.

-------
Sent from the OneNet Boulder BBS (303) 444-7569
Graphical interface available for Macintosh & MS Windows users.

OneNet member Network Prime Hub.
Providing access to Information, Tools & Community
#! rnews 2085
From: [email protected] (Dexter Spanfield)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.ads
Subject: Pandora Productions
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 94 19:34:12 PST

PANDORA (previously PiNkSeX)
is here to show you what it's like to jack in...
to the ENTIRE WORLD

Pandora features:

-- FULL Internet electronic mail access. If they're
on the Internet, you can mail them and they can
mail you.
-- USENET news groups. Every gosh darn news group.
PLUG into a virtually unlimited supply of knowledge.
People who share your interests, no matter how obscure.
!PLUS! If Pandora doesn't carry a group you'd like,
yell at the Sysop, he won't mind, and then he'll add
your news group.
-- 14.4k connections for speedy access to InfoGalore.
-- Goofy local forums
-- Online games (TradeWars, BRE, SRE, weeeeeee?)
-- Affordable prices -- for one month access to Pandora,
it'll cost you $0.00. Each month after, $0.00.
(No, that is NOT a misprint)

Come explore what real networking means.

Pandora [408] 353-8880 -- that's -- [408] 353-8880
-- an information bizarre

][------------------------------------------------------------(never)-----][
[email protected] (Dexter Spanfield) --
-- Pandora Productions [408] 399-9084
][----(the same)----------------------------------------------------------][
#! rnews 1069
From: [email protected] (Ricky L. Vinyard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
Subject: Re: Tornado Modem PLay
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:18:36 GMT

Nicholas Wilson - CNED/F93 ([email protected]) wrote:

: Does anyone know how I can access comm 4 as my comm port for Tornado two
: player games? It would be a real pain to switch it to comm 2 Thx for the help
: Nick Wilson

Be careful using COM 4 with a modem. If possible use a unique IRQ (really
I should say always use a unique IRQ) and COM 3, or even better COM 2 if it
doesn't conflict with your mouse. Try to avoid COM 4 at all costs (well,
its not really that bad, but avoid it).

---Rick Vinyard

#! rnews 853
From: [email protected] (###THE NET###)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.games
Subject: Re: Netrek for the Mac
Date: 24 Jan 1994 21:35:29 -0800
Sender: [email protected]

I played NetTrek once, a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Ooops. Wrong scenario there. Anyways, where can I get this game (NetTrek)?
I haven't seen anyone selling it, and it sounds like a great network game,
if it's anything like the UNIX based version. Where? Where? Help...

###THE NET###

#! rnews 533
From: [email protected] (Mike Steinkamp)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs
Subject: Re: taglines for seminar needed
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:35:45 GMT
Originator: [email protected]

My favorite was always this one:

SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue ...

--
mds
#! rnews 785
From: [email protected] (Kirk JIAO)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: KILL ME
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:31:43 GMT

hi, there

How can I kill myself while running myself ??
in unix,

example: my program name is "tt"
tt's code : main(){ system("rm tt");}
result: text file busy, can't remove.

at first, I think it's protection of system.
BUT
why I can remove file itself while running script file ?

KJ
[email protected]

#! rnews 5101
From: [email protected] (Dave Cole)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games
Subject: Update list of bugs in Liberation
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:30:56 GMT

G'day all,
Over the last week (since I've had Liberation), I've uncovered various
bugs (as you may already know). I've decided to list them, so that other
people will know about them (at least I hope these are bugs, not put in
there on purpose! 8->)
The following is an updated list of these bugs, and a copy of this has
been forwarded to Amiga Format who will hopefully (8-)), forward this on to
Mindscape.

* Guru's occasionally (only 2 times for me). It has reset for some
people, when there are too many people in the room. (I haven't
noticed this however.)
* When initiating a conversation, sometimes a person will occuse
you of "clobbering" them. Other people have said that if you
shoot a thief, then everyone else say that you have shot them.
(Haven't noticed this myself, but could be the reason.)
* Sometimes when you go to talk to someone, garbage such as "87#&^j"
will come up in their window, and your response window doesn't
always have a response (have to cycle through several responses
before one actually shows up). For some people, this has meant
that the machine will guru shortly.
* When using the Mapper - Comms, in a taxi, it will say "Autopilot
initiated" (or something like that), yet it will not go anywhere
if the destination is in the current zone.
(You have to leave the zone, and then re-select the destination).
* When talking to people about the "Captive", and they ask you for
some dosh, you can select "well.." or "let's see.." and then
select something like "I'll have to go to the bank and come back
later.." they will give you the info anyway. Now this could be
on purpose, as they can't be bothered waiting around, yet one of
them said at the end of their speech "..Thanks for the dosh".
* The amount of time played, in the disk access menu is not always
accurate. To start off with (up to about 8 hours), it was ok,
but then it went to say that I'd been playing for 386 days, then
1058 days, and finally 2685 days!
* The percentage of game done is sometimes stuffed for a little while
(usually just after saving), as when you've only completed 1%,
it may say that you've completed 99%.
* Harri Pesonen ([email protected]) says:
I have noticed a strange bug. When I check the different body
parts in the Repair state, it seems that the left leg of one
robot is the same as the head of another, and the same as the
right leg of the third, and the same as the left hand of the
fourth, etc.
* When you look "up", the wall image is upside down (ie, the down
image reversed).
* Percentage of game played sometimes just stays as "New Game"
(I haven't noticed this yet, but it has reset the time for me).
* The most annoying (and worst bug), is as follows:
Game would't save in flash ram, as it said that it was "too big
and to try in the city, and that if that didn't work try another
zone." The thing is, this happened while I was outside, in the
city, and I did try other zones, but to no avail. It did save
to the ram disk though. HOWEVER, because of it being unable to
save to the flash-ram, it somehow WIPED the game which was
previously there, thus still not allowing me to save the ram-disk
version to flash-ram. When looking at the game-save slots (after
I had removed the recoverable ram disk), all I had in there was
one locked save game of diggers (seven slots in length). Now surely
the game doesn't need 93 slots? I have had save which only take 47,
and with the most that I know of about 80. Because of this bug,
about 15 hours or so has to be replayed. Hopefully all the info
that I wrote down will still be valid (wishful thinking).

Well that's as much as I know of at the moment, so I hope this helps someone
(particularly Mindscape), until the "fixed bug-free" version comes out in
a couple of weeks.

Dave

--
David Cole | Editor of the
[email protected] | WARHAMMER COMPENDIUM

#! rnews 665
From: Rick Luehr
Newsgroups: alt.sex.stories
Subject: Re: How come there are so many faggits on this group
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 00:32:59 EST

If there's on thing I hate more than bigots, it's really dumb bigots.
(I know that's kind of redundant) I couldn't help but notice that you can't
even spell your derogatory nicknames correctly. Get a life, for Christ's
sake!!
#! rnews 7093
Newsgroups: rec.music.info,rec.answers,news.answers
From: [email protected] (Leo Breebaart)
Subject: REC.MUSIC.INFO: Welcome to rec.music.info!
Sender: [email protected] (UseNet News System)
Supersedes:
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:02:41 GMT
Expires: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 05:00:02 GMT

Archive-name: music/rec-music-info/welcome
Last-modified: 1993/10/11 16:46:43
Version: 2.1

*** Welcome to rec.music.info! ***

Welcome to rec.music.info, a Usenet newsgroup that aims at being a low
volume, high quality source of music-related information.

You are now reading the first of two introductory articles about
rec.music.info. This particular article explains what rec.music.info is,
and answers some Frequently Asked Questions. The second article is titled
"Submission Guidelines", and you only need to read it if you want to submit
something to the newsgroup yourself.

By the way: many Usenet informational articles (or FAQs), including this
one, are available for anonymous ftp from the archive site rtfm.mit.edu in
the directory pub/usenet/news.answers. The name under which a FAQ is
archived appears is the one that appears in the 'Archive-name' line at the
top of the article. The FAQ you are now reading is, for instance, archived
as music/rec-music-info/welcome.

If you can't do or don't know about ftp: the FAQs are also available from a
mail server. Just send an e-mail message to [email protected]
containing the word "help" in the body of the message.

--- What is the purpose of rec.music.info?

The purpose or charter of r.m.info is to provide the Internet community
with a resource for information, news, and facts about any and all things
musical.

Whereas all the other musical newsgroups on the net are intended for
unmoderated discussions and general chit-chat about their specific musical
topics, rec.music.info contains only informational, factual articles.
Followups are redirected to an appropriate unmoderated group, and further
discussion (if any) will not take place in r.m.info.

In order to ensure that r.m.info contains only appropriate articles, it was
decided to create the group as a moderated newsgroup.

--- Eh, what is a 'followup', and what does 'moderated' mean?

If you are new to Usenet and not familiar with the terminology, you might
want to read the general introductory articles found in the newsgroup
news.announce.newusers. Doing so will make your life on the net much
easier, and will probably save you from making silly beginner's mistakes.

If you think that at this moment you are reading an echo, a conference, or
a bboard, I'd also strongly suggest a trip over to news.announce.newusers.

For the rest of this article, I will assume you have a basic knowledge of
Usenet and Internet terminology and mechanics.

--- OK, so now I know what 'moderated' means. Tell me more.

Rec.music.info is a moderated newsgroup, which means that all articles
submitted to the group will have to be approved by the moderator first.

The current moderator of the group (as well as author of this article) is
Leo Breebaart. Submissions to r.m.info as well as comments, criticisms,
suggestions or questions about the group can either be directly posted to
rec.music.info, or e-mailed to:

[email protected]

But before you do so, please be sure to check out the "Submission
Guidelines" article.

The influence of the moderator is minimal and of an administrative nature,
consisting chiefly of weeding out inappropriate articles, while making sure
correct headers etc. are used for the appropriate ones.

--- Why does every article subject start with a capitalized word?

The subject of every article posted to r.m.info starts with a special
keyword. This enables people to automatically select or kill entire
categories of information that they are/are not interested in. Because of
the keyword scheme we do not need separate newsgroups for e.g. chart
listings, or for concert dates, or for discographies.

--- What are the keywords, and what do they mean?

At the moment there are 9 broad categories of rec.music.info articles.

ADMIN: Words of wisdom from the moderator. Used for newsgroup-related
information and administratrivia only. For messages that get crossposted to
other groups (like the one you are reading right now), I will use the less
confusing REC.MUSIC.INFO: keyword.

CHART: 'Top ' lists of songs and albums from all over the world, usually
posted periodically. Considered worthless trivia by many people, charts are
nonetheless hugely popular with even more people, so they make up a
non-trivial amount of r.m.info contents.

DISCOGRAPHY: Discographies for recording artists in any genre.

CONCERT: Tour schedules, special appearances, festival line-ups, this
season's list of Boston Philharmonic performances -- you get the picture.

RELEASE: Announcements concering new music releases: singles, albums,
video's, etc.

NEWS: "Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen, died this weekend."

MAILINGLIST: Announcements and information pertaining to any of the
existing musical mailing lists.

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions articles.

INFO: Catch-all category for information that is useful but does not fit
any of the above categories. Examples: "List of good classical record shops
in Amsterdam", "Ftp site for Michael Jackson-related material established".

Some articles can also have a 'secondary keyword' attached in [square
brackets] at the end of the Subject line. CONCERT articles, for instance,
usually include the geographical location in that manner.

For examples and for more information about category keywords, see the
"Submission Guidelines" article.

--- Will the material appearing in rec.music.info be archived somewhere?

Yes. David Datta has generously donated space on his music FTP archive site
for a rec.music.info archive.

You can reach the archive by committing ftp to ftp.uwp.edu (directory:
/pub/music/info), or by gophering to gopher.uwp.edu.

Effectively this means that anything you post to rec.music.info will be
permanently stored, so your work will not be lost.

--- That's all folks.

I hope you will find rec.music.info a useful resource, and I look forward
to hearing any comments, questions, or suggestions you may have.

--
Leo Breebaart -- Moderator rec.music.info & rec.music.reviews
+++ Requests for information do *not* belong in r.m.info! +++
From: [email protected] (Leo Breebaart)
Subject: REC.MUSIC.INFO: Submission Guidelines for rec.music.info
Sender: [email protected] (UseNet News System)
Supersedes:
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:02:48 GMT
Expires: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 05:00:02 GMT

Archive-name: music/rec-music-info/guidelines
Last-modified: $Date: 1993/12/08 14:46:56 $
Version: $Revision: 2.2 $

*** rec.music.info - Submission Guidelines and Etiquette ***

Two introductory articles about rec.music.info are posted to the group
every two weeks. You are now reading the second article, which explains how
to submit something to rec.music.info, and which answers some Frequently
Asked Questions about the submission process. The first article is titled
"Welcome to rec.music.info", and it might be a good idea to check it out as
well, if you haven't already.

By the way: many Usenet informational articles (or FAQs), including this
one, are available for anonymous ftp from the archive site rtfm.mit.edu in
the directory pub/usenet/news.answers. The name under which a FAQ is
archived appears is the one that appears in the 'Archive-name' line at the
top of the article. The FAQ you are now reading is, for instance, archived
as music/rec-music-info/guidelines.

If you can't do or don't know about ftp: the FAQs are also available from a
mail server. Just send an e-mail message to [email protected]
containing the word "help" in the body of the message.

--- How do I submit something to rec.music.info?

Two possibilities. You can use your newsreading software to just post the
article to rec.music.info, as you would do with any other newsgroup. The
difference is that the software recognizes the special status of r.m.info
as a moderated group, and will e-mail your article to me, the moderator,
instead of posting it to the group.

Alternatively, you can mail your article directly to me at the following
address:

[email protected]

If you decide to mail, you can still use any Usenet specific header lines
you want (e.g. Newsgroups, Followup-To, Summary, etc.): just include them
as the very first line in your e-mail and use a blank line to separate them
from the actual text of the article.

--- What type of material is considered inappropriate?

There are two broad categories of articles which will be rejected:

1] Requests for information. Rec.music.info is strictly a one-way street.
You people send me information; I then post it to r.m.info. Requests for
specific information belong in the normal newsgroups. If your request gets
answered, you might consider passing the answer on to r.m.info, though.

This policy may strike you as counterintuitive at first, but please be
aware that the "no requests" guideline has always been an integral part of
the r.m.info charter.

2] Reviews. There already is a dedicated, moderated newsgroup for musical
reviews: rec.music.reviews. All reviews should go there.

Most music-related articles that do not fall into these two categories tend
to get accepted, although as moderator I reserve the right to reject an
article if I feel that the subject matter is not of suffcient interest, or
the information level is not high enough to warrant posting to a world-wide
newsgroup.

--- How soon will I see my article appear?

Usually between one and three days after you post it. If your posting never
appears this means something must have gone wrong: I never reject anything
without giving an explanation in e-mail.

Please note that your article will generally be processed much faster if
you follow the format guidelines explained below. 'Perfect' articles I can
send on with just two keystrokes. Stuff that needs editing is going to have
to wait until I have time to do so.

--- Should my submission be in a specific format?

Every article in a newsgroup consists of a header (containing the From,
Subject, Newsgroups and other header lines), and a body (containing the
text of the article). The deal is as follows:

When you post to rec.music.info, you can rely on the fact that I will never
ever mess with the body of the article. I don't spell-check, I don't edit,
I don't reformat, I don't do anything except decide if the article as a
whole is appropriate for rec.music.info.

The headers, however, are all mine: I will add default header lines in case
you omitted any, and although I will of course generally honor the header
lines you do supply, I always reserve the right to edit or change any of
them if I am not satisfied with the way they are.

--- Ok, tell me more about the header format.

I honor the following header lines: From, Subject, Newsgroups, Followup-To,
Reply-To, Organization, Summary and Keywords.

The last three are entirely optional. The other ones aren't strictly
required either, but if you don't supply them I will add them to the final
article with the following default values:

Reply-To -- the address in the From line.
Newsgroups -- rec.music.info
Followup-To -- the groups you explicitly crossposted your article to
OR rec.music.misc if you didn't specify a crosspost.

Please use the Newsgroups line to have your article crossposted to other
newsgroups (if appropriate), instead of making separate postings. I reserve
the right to remove newsgroups from the Newsgroups line if I feel you are
crossposting too widely or to inappropriate groups.

I also honor 'advanced' header lines like Expires and Supersedes, but if
you plan to use those please e-mail me first so we can set things up
correctly.

--- You haven't mentioned the Subject line yet!

An absolute requirement for Subject lines is that each line starts with an
appropriate category keyword word in all caps, followed by a colon and a
space (see also the "Welcome to rec.music.info" article for more
information about categories).

Apart from this, there are some additional format suggestions for each
category, as follows:

RELEASE subjects consist of the name of the artist, optionally followed
by a release item name in quotes, and finally a secondary subject
categorization between square brackets.
Examples: "RELEASE: Rush, "Rush Sings Mariah Carey" [Album]
"RELEASE: Rush, "Live at the Apollo" [Video + Box]
"RELEASE: Rush [Single]

MAILINGLIST subjects consist of the name of the artist or genre
covered, optionally followed by a list name in quotes, and finally a
secondary subject categorization between square brackets: 'New' for the
announcement of a new mailing list, 'Update' for a change to an
existing list, and 'Blurb' for mailing list advertisements.
Examples: "MAILINGLIST: Queensryche, "Screaming In Digital" [Blurb]
"MAILINGLIST: Noseflute List [Update]
"MAILINGLIST: Trafassi, "Ma Akoeba" [New]

CONCERT subjects consist of the artist or event names separated by
comma's, followed by a hierarchy of locations in between square
brackets.
Examples: "CONCERT: Michael Jackson [New York, USA]
"CONCERT: Michael Jackson, Nirvana [World]
"CONCERT: Michael Jackson [Canada + USA]
"CONCERT: Parkpop Festival [The Hague, Netherlands]

DISCOGRAPHY subjects consist of the name of the artist, nothing else.
Example: "DISCOGRAPHY: The Beatles"

CHART subjects are free format, but please try to mention (a) the name
of the chart, and (b) the period to which the chart applies.
Example: "CHART: Zimbabwe Top 40 Albums, 09/09/93"

FAQ, INFO and NEWS subjects are also free format. Plese try to keep the
text after the keyword short, yet informative.

--- Anything else?

Not really.

I'm looking forward to seeing your submissions fill up my mailbox...
--
Leo Breebaart -- Moderator rec.music.info & rec.music.reviews
+++ Requests for information do *not* belong in r.m.info! +++
#! rnews 1120
From: [email protected] (Tim Olson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.powerpc
Subject: Re: ppc fpu???
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:28:39 GMT

Chen Zhou writes:
| i have been arguing with a friend for quite a while about whether the ppc
| has a fpu. from info from MacWeeks and other sources, my understanding is
that
| the ppc has no fpu. since the processor itself can do floating point
arithemtic
| so fast, it no longer require a dedicated circitry for math. can anyone
please
| verify this? thanx alot

The PowerPC architecture defines a set of Floating Point instructions that must
be implemented (and some that are optional). Both announced implementations
have dedicated floating-point units on the processor die.

--
-- Tim Olson
Apple Computer Inc. / Somerset

#! rnews 2581
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.admin
From: [email protected] (Kevin Fluet)
Subject: Re: [Q] Howto make Slackware 1.1.1 use Shadow-Passwords?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 02:10:32 GMT

In <1994Jan21.032627.753@rpp386> jfh@rpp386 (John F. Haugh II) writes:

>It's a shame that who ever did that is lying about the status of
>Shadow. Shadow is =not= commercial. The copyright on Shadow in
>fact PROHIBITS Shadow from being commercialized.

No. In some of your other posts, you have stated that if distributors want
to be able to distribute your software, they must sent you $$$$. Sounds
commercial to me.

>What the "anti-Shadow" forces of gloom and doom and trying to do
>is force me to allow them to sell Shadow and stick me with supporting
>their customers and fixing any bugs they introduce.
[...]

What are you talking about? Nobody forces authors of GPL'ed software to
support their products.

[...]
>I got from a user at SLAC, into 3.3.2. If the resellers want to
>keep trying to sell something that doesn't belong to them, fine.

Are you saying it's ok, then?

>But that won't stop you from getting it for free from any of the
>FTP sites. It only keeps THEM from ripping you off.

I must take exception to your language here. If you choose to put your
software under a copyright that restricts distributors like myself from
being payed for their time and effort, that is your business. Basically, it
just means that fewer people will have easy access to your software.

I provide a service, and people pay me for my time and trouble in copying
Linux onto floppy disks or tape and providing telephone support. I am not
'selling' Linux and make it absolutely clear to people who buy Slackware
disks from me that they are paying only for media and for my time and
trouble. They all know the software is free (in fact, they are very welcome
to spend 13 hours dowloading all 53 disks from my BBS). I'm NOT ripping
anyone off.

-- Kevin

Kevin Fluet Linux Support Systems
[email protected] Edmonton, Canada
[email protected] VALIS BBS (403)478-1281
#! rnews 1600
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.admin
From: [email protected] (Kevin Fluet)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 02:20:09 GMT

In <1994Jan24.142241.15257@rpp386> jfh@rpp386 (John F. Haugh II) writes:

>With all the work being done lately to get Linux supported, it's a shame
>that a few misguided people have removed Shadow from Slackware. I hope
>they'll put it back in before too many more people are forced to get it
>from someplace else.

Considering your very restrictive copyrights on Shadow, including it in
again would mean that FEWER people would have access to Slackware. If it
goes back in and I can't be paid for anything other than the disks I copy
Linux onto, I'll use some other distribution. I'm sure the CD manufacturers
would stop using Slackware as well. Including a package with a copyright
like yours essentially puts the whole distribution under the terms of your
copyright.

-- Kevin

Kevin Fluet Linux Support Systems
[email protected] Edmonton, Canada
[email protected] VALIS BBS (403)478-1281

#! rnews 1381
From: [email protected] (The Mad Alchemist)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.novell
Subject: Re: Trouble in ASCII text with Postscript Printer
Date: 24 Jan 94 17:21:54 PST

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

> Dear Netters,
>
> I am using NW 3.12 PRINTDEF/PRINTCON using the generic POSTSCRIPT PDF.
> We try to send text using the "posttext courier 10CPI" device mode. However,
> the printer refuses to print. After some investigation, it seems only the
> first 64 char. defined in the device mode and the text file is sent to the
> printer.
>
> Is this a known "feature" in NW3.12 ? Or, any workaround, or have I overlook
> anything ?
>
> many thanks,
> Michael.

Possibly you have not specified the No Banner option. Banners are the default
and are sent as plain ascii text, which postscript printers do not care for.
(unless it is postscript language of course.)

--
Ron Neilly
Microcomputer/Network Support Technician
From: [email protected] (The Mad Alchemist)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.novell
Subject: Re: LAN Remote Control Software
Date: 24 Jan 94 17:59:10 PST

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Rob Geraghty) writes:
> [email protected] (Dale Chun) writes:
>>Can anyone recommend LAN Remote Control Software ... such as
>>Symantec's PC-Anywhere/LAN and Closeup. Comments on experience,
>>performance, usability over a wide-area-network, such as X.25 and
>>frame-relay? Any information is appreciated.
>
> We've chosen PC-Anywhere after testing a whole bunch of software. The
> problems: it doesn't properly reproduce windows displays, and
> controlling windows on anything less than ethernet is going to be ugly
> (possible, but ugly).
>
> Rob

Brightwork sells a package called netremote+. We haven't looked at it yet but
they offer a 30 eval so you might want to contact them and try it out yourself;
there is no truth like your own experience.
--
Ron Neilly
Microcomputer/Network Support Technician
Okanagan University College
1000 KLO Rd.
Kelowna, BC,
Canada
V1Y 4X8
[email protected]
#! rnews 1415
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.networking,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2,comp.os.os2.setup
From: [email protected] (Dale B. Hymes)
Subject: Win/OS2 settings - HELP!
Sender: [email protected] (usenet )
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 04:55:07 GMT

Please help... I've been battling this one for a LONG TIME and I'm
getting sick of it.

My entire Win/OS2 environment is hosed where some apps will start and some
won't, if one's going a second just turns grey, the sound doesn't work,
normally I can't kill the apps without the help of Pstat PM2,
periodically the entire system hangs when I get stuck in a WIN app, and
the list goes on...

I've tried the separate session setting as well as a ton of others. I've
got 16MB and all OS2 apps run fine. Is there a good baseline of settings
to go with? I've even installed some of the os2 patches (P9986 and a few
others) with no help at all. Are there any new ones I should know about?

Thanks for your help,
--
---
Dale Hymes
From: [email protected] (William McIntyre)
Subject: MSDOS 6.2 Diskcopy Problem
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:32:00 GMT

MS DOS 6.2 DISKCOPY fails every time I use it whenever the destination
disk is unformatted. Not only does it fail, but it leaves my 3.5"
drive unusable ("divide overflow" error). Has anyone else had this
problem? The specific error is "General Failure reading drive B:",
"Abort, Retry, Fail?". After that, I can no longer access drive B. I
have to reboot to regain it.

My computer is a 486dx2 66MHz VLB w/8MB RAM. I've removed all TSR's,
and I don't use any disk compression software. Does anyone out there
have any suggestions???? BTW, the Windows 3.1 "DISKCOPY" (in File
Manager) works just fine w/unformatted destination disks.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Bill McIntyre [email protected]
#! rnews 1032
From: [email protected] (Thomas Reid)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.oberon
Subject: Oberon for Real-Time Course?
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:31:38 GMT
Sender: reid@cherry (Thomas Reid)

All:

I am going to teach a real-time course this Summer and am auditioning
languages. Do you think Oberon is a good (the best, the pits) language
to teach real-time? Are there case studies and small systems available?
Are there teaching materials available?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas F. Reid, Manager - Diploma in Software Engineering
Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore

#! rnews 2056
From: [email protected] (Adam Bonin)
Newsgroups: alt.conspiracy,misc.legal,talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.org.batf
Subject: Re: MOVE bombing
Date: 25 Jan 1994 00:26:23 -0500

Wayne J. Warf ([email protected]) wrote:

: It was a house and it wasn't a firebomb. It was Tovek and C4 in a sachel.
: The mayor admitted assenting to the
: police chief's request to use an explosive on the roof. His particular
: absurb claim was that he thought that the "snow" on his office TV was
: water from the water deluge guns at the scene, and that he didn't know
: that no one had ordered the fire to be fought. He sticks to this story
: even now.

Sorry, Wayne, but from what I understand, the "snow" story is just a racist
UL someone cooked up to make him look dumber still, without any truth behind
it. What happened was basically that he abdicated responsibility to the
police and fire commissioners--but not in the way you allege.

-adam
--
Adam Bonin '94 | "[In 1970], the Second Circuit not only felt the need to
Amherst College | define "bagels"; it misdefined them, calling them "hard
From: [email protected] (Wonderbar)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Subject: Tandy 100/102
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:29:56 GMT

I am looking for a Tandy 100/102 portable computer at a reasonable price. I'd
prefer that it had a 3 1/2" drive, but it is not necessary. Please send
e-mail to: [email protected]
Thanks.

Casey Vanlandingham

--
Casey Vanlandingham ([email protected])
Welch 1264 Ayres
From: [email protected] (Sylvia's Love Slave)
Subject: Modem Compatibility US vs. Australia
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:12:40 GMT

Hi there,
I'm in the process of buying an external modem in the United States. Its a simple 2400 baud modem with no frilly features. I would like to ship it to my friend who lives in australia. I know that 1) the power supply is 230 volts as opposed to 115V in the U.S.A. 2) the phone jack setup is different. If anyone knows of a decent modem that has a voltage selective switch I'd greatly appreciateit. Also, if any aussie reads this group and has bought a modem or been sent a modem from the USA and has successfully

set it up, please email me promptly.
Thanks,

please reply all email to [email protected]

#! rnews 1356
From: [email protected] (Howard Pinsley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc
Subject: OWL Validators
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:25:20 GMT

I have been using OWL TValidator classes for the edit controls of my
dialog. For the most part, they work as I'd like them to. One of
the problems I'm having is that the contents of an edit control are
validated whenever they lose the focus -- whether its to move to a
successive control or a prior one.

At my site, we have historically created "dialogs" where validation
was done if you advance to the next field or, as would often be the
case with a Window's dialog, choose the O.K. button. However, we
generally allow the user to backup to a prior field even if the edit
losing focus contains blanks (which might be considered invalid in the
context of a completed dialog).

Is there anyway to coerce the TValidator or TEdit classes to exhibit the
desired behavior? Thanks in advance.

--

Howard Pinsley
(212) 836-8322 Fax: (212) 836-8689
From: [email protected]
Subject: Resizing a DBTableView with User version of NEXTSTEP 3.0
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 21:14:39 GMT

DBTableView Question:
End users who only have the User versions of NEXTSTEP (3.0) installed are
not able to resize DBTableView columns. I head a rumor that this was
because the the user version did not come with some required files (tiffs
and such). Is there a recommended fix for this problem that I have not
been able to find? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

--
Gregory L. Mutzel, 215-653-0911
Anderson Financial Systems, Inc.

#! rnews 2599
From: [email protected] (Bill Hogan)
Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.programmer
Subject: Re: Io.Sys & Ms-Dos.Sys
Date: 24 Jan 1994 21:33:23 -0800

Marcel Wijkstra (AIO) ([email protected]) wrote:

: Yesterday, RighTime (a TSR that should keep the clock of my 386 clone more
: accurate) thrashed all plain files in my root dir - at least I think it
: was RighTime (Simtel:clock/ritm11.zip), anyway it happened just after I
: installed it - so I had to SYS C: again. It did not succeed due to
: "Not enough room for system files" (or something like that), a message
: that appeared after at least 10 seconds of disk activity << Anybody know
: why that long? >>

: I tried manually copying IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS to C:\. Afterwards, C:
: booted, started reading CONFIG.SYS, and then the system halted in the
: middle of writing the message QEMM was being installed. ...

Marcel,

If SYS C: failed, then COPYing IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS from a floppy to C:
did nothing but place these two _ordinary_ files that happen to have the
names "IO.SYS" and "MSDOS.SYS" in your C root directory; it did nothing to
alter the system IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS files that the boot procedure uses.

The only way you can install the system IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS files is
either by using SYS or by using FORMAT/S.

I suspect that the timer utility thrashed the FAT on your C drive,
so I hope before you go any further you run CHKDSK.

If SYS C: failed, I think it virtually certain that the FAT is
totally screwed up.

Think about it: "Not enough room for system files"???

If CHKDSK reports cross-linked files, think about reformatting the drive
and rebuilding it from scratch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill
--
Bill Hogan
{[email protected]}
From: [email protected] (Jon Bondy)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 94 12:45:00 -0500

I>I'm getting more frustrated with my Multiscope package. It has a bad habit of
I>crashing (in a DOS world that means locking up) and destroying files.
I>Has anyone else had any similar problems ? It occurs with even simple code
I>after
I>several cycles of edit/compiler/link/run. And the technical support doesn't
I>help much.

We never started using Multi-Scope 4.0, since it had so many problems.
We're still using 3.4!

I>I hear reports of a Stony Brook for OS/2. But that compiler is whats already
I> inside my Multiscope package, can i trust it.

The MultiScope compiler was an old Stony Brook Beta (I'm told by Stony
Brook). MultiScope has lost the rights to distribute that compiler, so
that appears to be a dead end.

We're evaluating the latest Beta for the next release of SB M2. If
everything they say is true, it looks quite good (virtual memory
support for 16-bit compiles, plus a 32-bit compiler which supports two
DOS Extenders, ISO compiler and library, etc). You might give them a
call (800-624-7487). Everyone I've spoken with there has been helpful
and knowlegable...

Jon
---
þ SPEED 1.4i #1419 þ * BLANK *
#! rnews 1328
From: [email protected] (Shane G. Artis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next.programmer
Subject: XOR drawing in NeXTSTEP
Date: 25 Jan 1994 05:38:00 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Hello, NeXT community,

I am a NeXTSTEP software developer with the task of porting a
segment of code from an X-windows program to NeXTSTEP. This is easy,
in general, but breaks down when I have to do XOR operations in the
X-windows way (NOT an XOR composite). Has anyone out there surmounted
this problem in the 'correct' fashion, i.e. no clear windows floating
over the background with the xor-ed pixels drawn to the clear window,
for example? What I want is a true XOR operation as defined under the
X-windows standard, or any reasonable facsimile thereof. Failing
that, any suggestions for quality workarounds? I don't need
high-speed, just compatibility.

Please reply to the above address ([email protected]) as I
typically don't have time to keep up with this group.

Best regards,

Shane Artis

#! rnews 754
From: [email protected] (Sean Lally)
Newsgroups: news.newusers.questions
Subject: Re: FOI manual
Date: 24 Jan 1994 21:34:21 -0800

I don't know for sure if they have it, but a good place to look would be
on the Electronic Freedom Foundation's FTP site, ftp.eff.org. Good luck.

-Sean
#! rnews 1505
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.pcbuucp
Subject: Curious about UUCP/Internet
From: [email protected] (Ed Delacantera)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 00:38:00 -0500

I've been using PCBUUCP for about 4 months and I'm still new at this, so
I have some questions I hope someone can take some time to explain. My
host, ssnet.com, is an Internet site and he has set me up as a UUCP site
off from him.

When I post a message in a newsgroup, I see my name in domain format,
but when I post an Email, it shows in UUCP format. I've mentioned this
to him and he said it was a problem setting up sendmail at his site.

So, what is so different about Email vs. news? How come the name in a
newsgroup can go out in domain format so well, while in the Email it is
all so screwed up?

When PCBUUCP prepares the outgoing packets, it converts my usernames to
domain format for all conferences, including the Email one. So why
should my host be messing with the name format in the Email? Has
someone had this problem before and found a solution for that? I want
to help him set me up right. I'm his first BBS customer, so he is as
new to this as I am. BTW, Email addressed in domain format comes over
fine, but address looks like UUCP format.
#! rnews 1328
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools
Subject: WinScope and BOUNDS-CHEC
From: [email protected] (Bruce Pennypacker)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 94 22:16:00 -0500

PR>Earlier I saw a request for experiences/opinions regarding WinScope and
PR>BOUNDS-CHECKER without much response. I'd like to get some additional
PR>insight on the relative merits of these tools, as well as, their
PR>capabilities in terms of debuggers like Multiscope and SOFT-ICE.

In my opinion both Soft-Ice and Bounds Checker are well worth the money.
We've got a couple copies where I work and they've probably saved 20-30
hours of work within a few weeks of work. Soft-Ice is also great because
you can use it to debug DOS programs which crash other DOS debuggers. Just
run Soft=Ice then run the DOS program in a Windows DOS box. Bounds Checker
has also located a few fairly significant resource depletion & other bugs
in some of our code that we would never have found otherwise.

-Bruce

---
* WaveRdr 1.01 [NR] * Life is just a figment of my imagination.
#! rnews 2707
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools
Subject: Re: CD-ROM required for
From: [email protected] (Bruce Pennypacker)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 94 09:50:00 -0500

>>[email protected] (Daniel Keith Weinlader) writes:
>> Ross, I think you are missing the point. You don`t have to
>>use the CD if you don`t want to. Install it all to your hard disk if
>>you so desire, but, if you want, you can run if off a CD drive...

>You're missing the point. Chris said I'd have instant access if
>I ran it (anything) off of CD-ROM, and in this case that's not true.
>It doesn't need to be on a CD-ROM to install it on my hard drive, and I
>can look up almost anything in a hardcopy manual in less than a minute.

PMFBI, but looking up information in MSVC would take well over a minute
if you relied entirely on the hardcopy manuals. I much prefer using the
on-line help for this. The manuals for MSVC are taking up 2/3 of a shelf
in the bookcase in my office (about 3 feet of space!). By quick count, the
MSVC documentation set consists of roughly 30 manuals. I can't begin to
tell you how much time I've saved by using the on-line references and
searching for specific keywords. The on-line stuff also has some good
cross referencing which makes searching incredibly easier.

I understand where you're coming from. CD-ROM's aren't for everybody.
However CD's are widely used in the development world and the'll probably
continue to remain in use for the forseeable future. Companies like IBM
and Microsoft distribute development tools, documentation, alpha/beta tests
(like Chicago, NT, etc) and all sorts of other useful information via
CD-ROM these days. As more and more documentation is needed you'll also
see a big shift to using CD-ROM and other media for text storage. If you
had the choice of manufacturing and shipping CD's for roughly $5.00 a piece
or 20 POUNDS of manuals which would probably cost on the order of hundreds
of dollars more to produce, which would you be more likely to do? Also, if
you're the customer would you be willing to pay the extra manufacturing and
shipping costs of what essentially amounts to a complete enclycopedia? The
cost savings as well as the time savings in performing electronic searches
will continue to make CD-ROM's a major player in the computer marketplace.

-Bruce

---
* WaveRdr 1.01 [NR] * Life is just a figment of my imagination.
#! rnews 626
Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Subject: PCMCIA 1.0 -> 2.0
From: [email protected] (Douglas Christian)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 94 20:56:00 -0500

I don't think its a good idea to put type 2 PCMIA cards in type one
slots. I believet eh type two are 12 volt cards and the type ones are 5
volts.
Regards,
Douglas

Archive   : UUCPTEXT.ZIP
Filename : 6A093D7.D22

  1. Very nice! Thank you for this wonderful archive. I wonder why I found it only now. Long live the BBS file archives!

  2. This is so awesome! 😀 I’d be cool if you could download an entire archive of this at once, though.

  3. But one thing that puzzles me is the “mtswslnkmcjklsdlsbdmMICROSOFT” string. There is an article about it here. It is definitely worth a read: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/mtswslnk/