From [email protected] Sat Mar 14 14:54:21 1992
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 92 14:54:50 -0500
From: [email protected] (Theodore Ts'o)
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: subscribe

OK, I've placed you on the alt.os.linux mail digest/gateway distribution
list. Mail sent to [email protected] will be posted
to the usenet group alt.os.linux. Postings to alt.os.linux will be
periodically gathered to together and mailed as a digest to people on
the redistribution list. If you reply to the digest, it will be
automatically sent to the right address so that it will be posted to
alt.os.linux.

If you have access to the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, you may prefer
to to read it directly from the newsgroup, as there is a certain amount
of delay before a digest will be sent out. (A digest is sent out when
we have received between 20k and 30k of articles, or after one day.)
On the other hand, you may prefer to receive it in digest form.

If you wish to unsubscribe from this digest, or change your address, or
wish to send other types of administrivia, you may send it to
[email protected].

Thank you for your interest!

- Ted

P.S. More beginnerly questions are welcome, although you shouldn't be
surprised if some sourpusses snarl at you and ask you to read the
documentaiton and sources first. While it may not be nice of them,
there are sometimes right in that there are some questions which are
best answered by directing the questioner to read the sources for him or
herself. ๐Ÿ™‚

& p
Message 1:
From [email protected] Sat Mar 14 14:54:21 1992

From: Digestifier
To: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 92 16:45:31 EST
Subject: Linux-Activists Digest #107

Linux-Activists Digest #107, Volume #1 Sat, 14 Mar 92 16:45:31 EST

Contents:
Colors in virtual consoles (Ben Combee)
NetHack 3 pl 10 now at tsx-11. (Michael Hamilton)
Re: How to boot a PC from drive B: (no, I don't repeat it!)
Re: Linux-0.95 (Charles Hedrick)
Re: Where is it? (G. Roderick Singleton)
Re: rz & sz in linux (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
mkfs and partitions (J. Tufte)
Re: Localtion of init and mount (Jim Winstead Jr.)
Patching the Kernel ([email protected])
Re: Minimal sh? (Jim Winstead Jr.)
error codes; where can we ftp a listing of these in Linux? (Chuck Boyer)
Re: overstuffed floppies (Greg Lee)
Re: generic mtools, prev. post (Jim Winstead Jr.)
A couple of oddities... (Adam Justin Thornton)
can the rest of the world get in on this (Irwin Shapiro)
bugs... (Michael K. Johnson)

From: [email protected] (Ben Combee)
Subject: Colors in virtual consoles
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1992 07:32:54 GMT

One thing I noticed in the upgrade from 0.12 to 0.95 is that the
colors from ANSI sequences. I noticed this when my copy of rain
went from two shades of blue to red. My question is: are the
colors currently in the LINUX 0.95 kernel the final ones? If
so, I will post the diffs to rain to get it back to its peaceful
blue colors.

------------------------------

Subject: NetHack 3 pl 10 now at tsx-11.
From: [email protected] (Michael Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1992 10:32:37 GMT

I put a binary distribution of NetHack 3 Patch Level 10 on
tsx-11.mit.edu.

~ftp/pub/linux/binaries/usr.games/nh3p10bin.tar.Z

It needed fewer patches than Patch Level 6. It plays with no visible
problems. Thanks to Quowong P. Liu ([email protected]) for
giving me a solution to the problem with screen draws on zapping and
throwing. This posting contains a few things I forgot to put in the
readme.

The tar is called nh3p10bin.tar.Z and is 549399 bytes, and should
verify with sum (on an Ultrix-box at any rate) of 27459 537.

To untar, cd to root, and untar to create entries in /usr/games and
/usr/man/man6 (the manuals format OK with cawf). I've included the
formatted version of the guide. Unpacked it requires about 1.7 Megs
of disk.

You need the poe-igl login/init, and possibly other patches like
non-blocking. I've lost track of which patches I've applied to my
0.12 system, so I can't say much more than this.

I have all the /usr/games files owned by games, with suid being set as
appropriate.

I forgot to change the Wizard's name (ie game debug name) from
"michael", my name, to something more generic. But I've verified that
you can use mg to edit the executable to change the occurances of
"michael^@" to something else like "root^@^@^@^@" (i.e. a null padded
string which works out to the same size as my name). But unless you
want to be the Wizard, just don't worry about it.

The job control support doesn't work (and in this distribution I
forgot to switch it on anyway - sorry). You can suspend it, but you
can't get back in. Also, I don't seem to be able to kill -HUP, except
from the owning terminal session (not even when I log into another
v-console as root). When job-control is turned on, you can get back
in, but the tty is no longer in raw/cbreak mode (which should it be?).

The -dec character set option works fine on a vt320, but on the
console, the dots come out as Pound signs, but the line drawing set

looks OK. I compiled for S.V. colour term capabilities, but I
haven't noticed any colours (anyone know enough to test this?).

Here's what I put in /usr/games/lib/nethackdir/README.LINUX:

Nethack 3 Patch Level 10
Unoffical patches to port pl10 to Linux 0.12 using GCC 1.4
Michael Hamilton ([email protected])

See the patches in linux.patches. They address:
1) A suitable configuration for linux:
System V
-lcurses
no mail (not on my box yet)
compress in /usr/bin/compress
2) Problem with /usr/include/pwd.h and unixmain.c
3) Problems with screen draws for zap and throw.
Fix suggested by Quowong P. Liu ([email protected]).
4) Problem with %[,]%[\n] args to linux scanf.
Wrote my own tiny-parser so that the score logfile
will not need changing when scanf does work.

This is a quick hack, and I'm sure I nethack-hacker could do better.
BUT IT WORKS ON MY MACHINE JUST FINE.

The patches here should be distributed as a formal notification that
the binaries have been created from patched files that have been
changed from the official Version 3 Patch Level 10 distribution.

Definitly runs for 2 users in 4 megs + 1 meg swap, but there may be
problems with memory when you get very deep.

Ain't linux great!

--
________________
Michael Hamilton, Computer Services Section, Wellington City Council, P.O. Box

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (no, I don't repeat it!)
Subject: Re: How to boot a PC from drive B:
Date: 14 Mar 92 12:07:20 GMT

In article [email protected] (Jr Phillip S Buckland) writes:

Unless you have a Zenith/Groupe Bull computer. I know that when
Zenith owned their computer group, their BIOS provided the capability
of booting off of any floppy and any partition on any hard drive.

The same is true with IBM PS/2 models 90 and 95. You can select a startup
sequence of max. 5 devices (floppies, HD partitions (on any HD)).

It was one of the things I liked about their computers.

Ditto. Too bad Linux does not yet run on them.

Pauli
--
Disclaimer fault - lawyers dumped

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (Charles Hedrick)
Subject: Re: Linux-0.95
Date: 14 Mar 92 10:00:40 GMT

[email protected] (Demian A. Johnston) writes:

>Is ka9q a networking package? Obvious it supports slip, how about Token
>Ring?

KA9Q is a TCP/IP implementation. It's a port of software written for
MS/DOS. Under MS/DOS, it uses the packet drivers. There is a packet
driver for TR that emulates an Ethernet. Unfortunately it's harder to
do Ethernet or TR under Unix. Under Unix, user programs (which KA9Q
is) don't normally use hardware like Ethernet or TR cards at the low
level that KA9Q expects. However that's just tradition. There's no
good reason you couldn't implement a device driver that supports a
/dev/ethernet or /dev/token, with read and write system calls to read
and write packets, and a couple of ioctl's. That would be enough to
let KA9Q do its thing. There'd need to be some low-level coode in
KA9Q as well, but it would be easy to write. The hard part of the
Ethernet or TR encapsulation is ARP, and that code is already present.

This might be a reasonable intermediate step in progress towards full
network support. The main disadvantage would be that the version of
KA9Q I ported is really a single-user program. That's probably OK for
SLIP, but maybe not so good for Ethernet. There's another Unix port
of KA9Q that reorganizes it into a single server talking to multiple
clients in a way that would probably work with "tubes". That would be
more appropriate for Ethernet or TR (and it's even possible that it's
got some support for Ethernet -- though you'd still need a device
driver). Sorry, I don't recall where that port is. If you look for
KA9Q in archie you should turn it up. I didn't use that version
(1) because there was nothign like tubes when I first did the
port, and (2) because that version looked more difficult to port.

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (G. Roderick Singleton )
Subject: Re: Where is it?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1992 21:44:26 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Terry Gardner) writes:
>WHere can I get Linux? I could not find a FAQ, in case this is
>answered there. E-mail please, I don't read this newsgroup, and
>I don't want to miss any replies.

I too would like to locate the sources if nothing else. Unfortunately,
the only FAQ I've seen does not give this information in a sufficiently
clear manner that would permit one to ftp anything. Specifically, can
someone post a summary of methods to obtain linux.

ger
--
G. Roderick Singleton ([email protected]), System and Network Manager, JTS Computers

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Subject: Re: rz & sz in linux
Date: 14 Mar 92 05:31:22 GMT

In article [email protected] (Jon Dugan) writes:
>I picked up the sz & rz sources from somewhere, and compiled them
>without a hitch, but I am unable to figure out how to allow them to
>work.
>I tried:
>rz >/dev/tty64
>but that simply generated timeout errors... has anyone used rz
>with linux yet? It should be a LOT better than kermit..
>
>I am still working on getting slip to work, the terminal server
>that supoorts it requires a slip passwd which I need to get still..
>
>Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.

Hmm, a lot of people have asked exactly the same in other newsgroups.
The problem is that new versions of rz/sz use /dev/tty as the device
for sending/recieving files. This is fine if you call the Unix/Linux
machine from remote, because then on the remote machine /dev/tty IS your
terminal, but locally, /dev/com != /dev/tty.

The solution is either to use an old version of rz/sz (pre-88, PD too)
or find in the source the "Tty = open("/dev/tty", 2)" and change this
to "Tty = 1" or something suitable.

Hope this solves your problem, Mike.

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (J. Tufte)
Subject: mkfs and partitions
Date: 14 Mar 92 16:31:57 GMT

I created a small partition on my hard drive and using edpart, made it a
dos (4) bootable. I booted up using my .95 floppies and mkfs -c /dev/hda4
'ed it (using the appropriate number of blocks) no problems there.
I tried to mount it, and I get error 16. Can someone at least tell me what
an error 16 is, or possibly which type of partition is best to use and other
tips on installing linux.

thanks a lot

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (Jim Winstead Jr.)
Subject: Re: Localtion of init and mount
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1992 17:39:23 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Rogier Wolff) writes:
>Hi everyone,

Hi!

>At this moment the "init" program is housed under /bin. I think that it
>should be moved to /etc. The standard under unix systems is that programs

This is already planned for Linux 0.95a. The kernel will first look
in /etc for init, and then it will look in /bin. The root disk will
have it in /etc, per the Linux Directory Structure Standard.

>This same story, but slightly less convincing can be told about
>mount and umount. These are found on all unix computers that I've worked
>with in /etc. I think we should stick with the tradition.

This will likely occur as well. I'm waiting for more feedback from
the Standards people before I move more things around on the root
floppy.

>Sun has tried to tidy up the /etc directory. This has resulted in moving
>most of the binaries out of the /etc/ directory to /usr/etc. However to
>remain compatible they have a whole wood of soft links in /etc to the
>binaries they moved to /usr/etc. In this case I think that it is best
>to keep it simple and simply put them in /etc.

This is also silly in that /usr can be a mounted partition. How do
run init from /usr/etc if it's not mounted yet?

Also, a note to people wondering where I'm coming from and saying how
things "will be" in Linux 0.95a. I will be handling the release of
the root diskette for Linux 0.95a, expected sometime next week.
Things I have changed or plan to:

- ash replaces bash as the standard shell. This frees up a lot
of room.

- There is a nearly complete, but empty, directory tree on the
root floppy. This conforms to the LDS Standard.

- All of the standard devices will be there. That means no more
people asking why mount /dev/hdb4 doesn't work. The /mnt
directory is there as well.

- Some preliminary installation documentation and scripts. This
is the area I need the most feedback on. What would you like
to see here?

- compress and tar are back on the root floppy, with tar
compressed as on the 0.12 floppy. cat has also been added.

If you have suggestions for changes to be made from the 0.95 -> 0.95a
root floppy, fire away. Time is limitied, though.

(Also, although it won't happen in 0.95a, it is my hope that 0.96 or a
later release of the 0.95a root floppy (0.95b?) will used shared
libs. This will create even more room on the root floppy.)
--
Jim Winstead Jr. (CSci '95) | "Catch a fish!"
Harvey Mudd College | -Geddy Lee,

------------------------------

From: [email protected]
Subject: Patching the Kernel
Date: 14 Mar 92 12:38:07 -0600

Everytime I try to compile the 0.95 Linux source and boot up, my entire
keyboard is redefined (with the exception of all the letter keys).
Do I have a bad keyboard.S or something????

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (Jim Winstead Jr.)
Subject: Re: Minimal sh?
Date: 14 Mar 92 18:39:16 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Chet Ramey) writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Jim Winstead Jr.) writes:
>
>>reduced size. It lacks job control, but I can't see how job control
>>is that useful for a non-interactive shell, anyways.
>
>Ash has job control. Define JOBS in shell.h before building. BSD-style,
>though, not Posix.

Well, I should have said "it lacks job control that can compile
successfully under Linux.

>It also has a number of bugs, some of which I've reported to CSRG.

Are there any fixes to these bugs? If so, I'd like to go ahead and
fix them for the Linux 0.95a release, since that will have ash as the
primary shell on the distributed root floppy.

From: [email protected] (Chuck Boyer)
Subject: error codes; where can we ftp a listing of these in Linux?
Date: 14 Mar 92 18:57:09 GMT

I don't know, so any helpful hints would be appreciated. I have seen
a few other posts where persons wondered about the codes they were
getting reported and it would be nice if we had access to the list.
thanks
chuck

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (Greg Lee)
Subject: Re: overstuffed floppies
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1992 19:55:52 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Greg Lee) writes:
}... To access 3 1/2" hd floppies formatted
}by the msdos program Fdformat v.18 with 82 tracks, 21 sectors
}per track, I changed an entry in the table of types in
}floppy.c, the later table with block sizes, ...
}I put 0x0C for the gap length. ...

After I disabled reading whole tracks for a floppy with > 18 spt,
it seems to work ok (in 0.95), though it's pretty slow. Mtools can read
stuffed floppies, too.

--
Greg Lee

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (Jim Winstead Jr.)
Subject: Re: generic mtools, prev. post
Date: 14 Mar 92 20:22:00 GMT

In article [email protected] (Erik Green) writes:
>In a previous article, [email protected] (Jim Winstead Jr.)
>says:
>>>I'll be able to start writing some of these in about a month, when I get
>>
>>In about a month, the things you're asking for should already be on the
>>distributed root disk. There will always be other things to do, though.
>
> A thousand pardons. To tell the truth, I was so happy about finding
>a host that accepted posts that I forgot to think about most of what
>I was saying :^>

I know how it goes. I was just pointing out that the development of
Linux is going so rapidly, that something that is missing now will
likely be filled in quickly. A case in point is rdev - rootdev
appeared on the 0.95 root floppy, and within a few days someone built
a better mousetrap that modified boot images as well. Not bad, I
think.

> I have, however, gotten mail about one other point - my comment about
>needing a small, generic mtools on the root image.

I don't see mtools as being necessary, at all. If you want to
transfer files from DOS to Linux, get rawrite.exe and rawrite tar
files to diskettes, and then read those with tar under Linux. The
only possible advantage of mtools is that it can access DOS hard drive
partitions, but I personally wouldn't trust it to do so.

As a result, you won't see mtools on the 0.95a root floppy. It would,
however, be great if someone took the time to make a mtools.tar.Z that
came with a good README.linux and a sample devices.c, so those that
felt a need for mtools could compile it easily. The currently
available ones are a bit tricky to set up, and require a bit of
guesswork in devices.c.

>Am I completely off-base with this? Am I forgetting/overlooking
>something?

I wouldn't say you're off base, but I think you're tackling the issue
from the wrong side. I don't think Linux should be forced to read DOS
devices - I think DOS should write things that Linux can read.

Tar is already on the root floppy because it is a 'standard' Unix
tool. We should make use of that rather than try and jam more onto
the already-crowded root floppy.

Then again, if someone writes a DOS file system for Linux, this
discussion would be pointless. I'd rather see a faster file system
for Linux, first, though, to replace the brain-dead Minix one. I need
room for more descriptive filenames like bc-1.02.bin.tar.Z and
bc-1.02.src.tar.Z.

From: [email protected] (Adam Justin Thornton)
Subject: A couple of oddities...
Date: 14 Mar 92 21:00:17 GMT

Under 0.95, emacs hangs the shell if I try to save anything. Has anyone else
seen this? (oh, yeah, uemacs, not gnu)

Also, for some reason, I was getting the interminable floppy-reset from
trying to use /dev/PS0; then I removed it and re-mknodded it, using the
same device numbers (2 28), and it worked just fine. Go figure.

Adam
--
"This howling in the distance, it's a captivating sound/ Can't tell if it's
ecstasy or pain." | These aren't Rice's opinions, just mine, thank God.

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (Irwin Shapiro)
Subject: can the rest of the world get in on this
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1992 21:31:52 GMT

hello linux activists!

we here in the outside world would like to make linux pubicly accessable
but most of us cant ftp. Would anybody happen to be able to make avail a v32 uucp connection so we could start our linux distribution network.. so us non internet users can get the sources to the binarys of linux...

p.s. the disk images [for .12] are moving like hot cakes around the world.. and the other uilitys binarys are following slowly...

but i still cant print cause i cant find kernel.tar.z or system.tar.z anywhere
to patch lith lp.tar.z (which i have ๐Ÿ™‚ )

thanks
irwin
--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!2603!302!Irwin.Shapiro
Internet: [email protected]

------------------------------

From: [email protected] (Michael K. Johnson)
Subject: bugs...
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1992 21:39:00 GMT

If you have found a bug that is current, please check the file
tsx-11.mit.edu:pub/linux/patches/BUGLIST
to see if it is there. I have realized that I have missed a lot of
news here at stolaf due to serious net.hicoughs, and may have missed
your bug report.

Along those lines, I have noticed something rather interesting:
I have hostname set to roland, and PS1 set to `hostname`%
After I run kermit, for a while, I get _either_
%
or
roland%
as my prompt, sometimes alternating, and the longer the kermit session
was, the longer this condition occurs. I have not yet found a
pattern. Any clues?

michaelkjohnson
[email protected]

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

Internet: [email protected]

You can send mail to the entire list (and alt.os.linux) via:

Internet: [email protected]

nic.funet.fi pub/OS/Linux
tsx-11.mit.edu pub/linux
tupac-amaru.informatik.rwth-aachen.de pub/msdos/replace

The current version of Linux is 0.12, released on Jan 14, 1992

End of Linux-Activists Digest
******************************

& q
Held 2 messages in /usr/spool/mail/tree
midget.towson.edu> ls -l
total 1613
-rw------- 1 tree 7775 Mar 14 10:59 RELNOTES-0.12
drwxr-x--x 2 tree 512 Feb 26 19:34 bin
-rw------- 1 tree 3212 Mar 14 16:51 newgcc.FAQ
-rw------- 1 tree 610953 Mar 14 16:51 newgcc.tar.Z
-rw------- 1 tree 191135 Mar 14 16:45 pcomm12.tar.Z
-rw------- 1 tree 667625 Mar 14 10:55 rootimage-0.12.Z
-rw------- 1 tree 121587 Mar 14 16:42 uemacs-linux.tar.Z
midget.towson.edu> rm newgcc.tar.Z
midget.towson.edu> logour t

Xyplex -011- Session 1 disconnected from MIDGET

Local> quit

Xyplex -020- Logged out port 14 on server TOE034 at 14 Mar 1992 18:01:22

NO CARRIER

Archive   : LIN_NEWS.ZIP
Filename : DIGEST.107

  1. Very nice! Thank you for this wonderful archive. I wonder why I found it only now. Long live the BBS file archives!

  2. This is so awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€ I’d be cool if you could download an entire archive of this at once, though.

  3. But one thing that puzzles me is the “mtswslnkmcjklsdlsbdmMICROSOFT” string. There is an article about it here. It is definitely worth a read: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/mtswslnk/