From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)

Subject: Second patch to 0.96a
Date: 4 Jun 92 22:56:21 GMT

I have just sent off the second patch to 0.96a: it should be on the
normal ftp-sites (nic, tsx-11 and banjo), although the only site which I
can make it directly readable on is banjo, so on the other sites it will
take the site-managers to make the patch available.

Patch 2 implements:

- itimers (by Darren Senn), which are now also used to implement the
alarm() system call.

- ultrastor scsi driver patches (by gentzel)

- [f]statfs() system call is implemented (so df can be made fs-
independent). Also some other minor fs-changes for the upcoming new
filesystem. Patches by Remy Card.

- preliminary core-file dumping code (linux creates a core-file, but
it's not in the correct format yet [*]).

- minor changes/bugfixes.

While patching in patch1 is a good idea for anybody, patch 2 isn't
really vital. I've made it available just so kernel hackers can keep up
with the kernel I have right now if they wish. Patch 2 is relative to
patch 1: you have to patch that in first.

[*] The current core-file is very simple, and the kernel code is there
just so that some enterprising character can expand it. A core-file
looks like this right now:

offset data
0x0000 "core-dump: regs=\n"
0x0040 struct pt_regs (see )
0x0400 "floating-point regs:\n"
0x0440 struct i387 (see )
0x0800 the first 1kB of user-space

Not very practical, but it /might/ help if the X-server dies of a
segmentation fault or similar (you can use pt_regs.eip to see where it
happened). The kernel code is very easy to change to accomodate for the
real core-file format, I just didn't know what it should be.

Linus

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: tcsh vs bash, anyone?
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 00:31:40 GMT

Ok, I want to know what everyone prefers, tcsh, or bash.
I like tcsh cause I already have config files for it (.log[in,out],.cshrc)
from my sun days. I like bash cause on linux, it handles runaway programs
better.
Here is a test program to demonstrate:
# echo '$0' >/bin/foo
# chmod ugo+rx /bin/foo
# rehash (under tcsh of course)
# foo
under bash, it will give error "can't fork process" after a while.(do a ps
before and after running it, see them jobs add up.....)
under tcsh, the program runs forever, and will bring your system to it's knees
(depending on how much memory you have is my guess, I only have 4 meg.)
to rescue yourself under tcsh, login on another terminal and rm -f /bin/foo,
do a ps, then QUICKLY do a kill for every instance of foo running.
(fast typing can help a lot) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Does this happen on your machine? let me know...
also let me know which shell YOU prefer. ๐Ÿ™‚

also folks, I still need some test mail to [email protected]
as I am still testing my uucp connection(s)
Thanks a terabyte. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jim
[email protected]
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (the MOST SIGNIFICANT bit)

Subject: the shadow passwd suite
Date: 5 Jun 92 02:20:54 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

This is sort of in reply to my own post a few days ago asking for
help with problems I'd had with the shadow binary distribution.

Someone sent me a message by e-mail suggesting that the binaries
are no good, and to compile from the source (alas, I've killed the
message, so that's why I'm not giving you any credit...). Well,
I did, and things work now.

Well, I had to make some weird changes to grent.c (don't even
remember exactly what) and I didn't have the lib ufc.a, but
otherwise, no problem.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (H. Peter Anvin N9ITP)

Subject: Re: Deinstalling Linux
Date: 5 Jun 92 02:38:17 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet on news.acns)

In article <[email protected]> of comp.os.linux,
[email protected] (Drew Eckhardt) writes:
> As far as the master boot record :
>
> Do a
>
> dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 of=mbr
>
> to save it
>
> dd if=mbr bs=512 of=/dev/hda
>
> to restore it.

If you are using DOS 5.0, you can re-create the original DOS MBR using

FDISK /MBR

/hpa

--
INTERNET: [email protected] TALK: [email protected]
BITNET: [email protected] HAM RADIO: N9ITP, SM4TKN

[next article]
From: [email protected] (H. Peter Anvin N9ITP)

Subject: Re: big files from ftp
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet on news.acns)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 02:54:14 GMT

[email protected] (Jim Burns) writes:
> in article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
du (Edwin Taylor) says:

> > like the binary collection and the X11 files (i.e. xbase1.0.T.Z) which
> > is bigger than the size of my floppies. can someone explain what
> > the best - or - proper method is for people like me whos computer
> > isnt connected to the net is?

This is the way I do it:

1. FTP to a DOS system.
2. Format as many floppies as you will need.
3. Use PC Magazine's SLICE utility (available from wuarchive.wustl.edu as
/mirrors/msdos/pc-mag/slice13.arc) to write the files to floppy. SLICE
automatically creates the program SPLICE on the first floppy.
4. On your home box, boot DOS. Run the SPLICE program on the first floppy.
Now you have the long file on your hard disk in a DOS partition.
5. Boot Linux. Now use mtools to copy the file from your DOS partition to
your Linux partition.
6. Unpack the file with tar as usual.

/hpa

From: [email protected] (Othman Ahmad)

Subject: Re: Starting X386
Date: 3 Jun 92 01:41:44 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] ([email protected]
asterix.ph.kcl.ac.uk) writes:

:
: We *finally* got X386 working on our paradise board with a taxan multisync
: monitor. After spending all day (12+ hours) staring at video timings, we
: happened to boot up into the 80-column text mode, and type 'startx'. It worked
.
: I can't remember reading of anyone having mentioned this before - using the
: 132-column modes can screw your graphics mode registers.
:
: This wasn't just an isolated incident, it happens all the time. Booting in
: low-res text is the only solution.
:
: Simon.
Please tell me which files should I use to make X works especially on a non-tsen
d chipset VGA. Thanks.
--
Othman bin Ahmad, School of EEE,
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 2263.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Othman Ahmad)

Subject: Re: What files to grab ?
Date: 4 Jun 92 02:01:37 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Bernard Ste
iner) writes:

: In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
i.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
: > > Also, if Linux more reliable and stable than
: > > BSD386 ?
: >
: > Haven't tested 386BSD, but I assume it will be pretty good in a month or
: > two, and it's probably quite useable already. If you want NFS and full
: > networking, it's the way to go. Comments, anyone?
:
: Yupp -- a comment: 386bsd release 0.1 has been coming out next week ever
: since it was released on April 17th (or so).
: The system & sources supplied do NOT eneable you to re-compile a working
This has been fixed. Just replace the kern_execve.c file and get sed or
get the kernel image and source from one source.
: kernel. There is no X11 support, you need a co-processor (or one of the
: hacked root disks that don't use floats).
Since socket support is already there, and gcc1.39 is available, I do not
see any problem. Someone is already working on the graphic driver using
linux vgalib.

:
: A program like main() { for(;;) } will execute forever and you don't have a
: chance to interrupt it by ^C. The kernel crashes about every two minutes
: while some program waits for disk i/o.
I have a lot of crashes but I do not seem to lose any file. I just reset the
machine.
: On the other hand, your file names are of arbitrary length...
386BSD moves very rapidly. Linux and BSD designs are similar but BSD had been
tested thoroughly in other machines with all features. Only the machine
dependent parts such as kern_execve, termcaps, console drivers must be worked
on. The linux hackers would be comfortable in this area having gone through
hell before.
:
: I'll see what Linux is like. Hope there are enough READMEs ๐Ÿ™‚

From: [email protected] (Hongjiu Lu)

Subject: Re: SIGBUS = ?
Date: 4 Jun 92 23:01:30 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]spac.spc.c
om (David.L.) writes:
|> Hi
|>
|> Attempting to make TIN, in signal.c a constant SIGBUS is needed. What sould t
he
|> value be ?

Just add

#ifdef SIGBUS

#endif

I think the real portable code should be written like this.

H.J.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dan Miner)

Subject: Re: 2 quick questions...
Date: 5 Jun 92 03:58:08 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

rey L Newbern) writes:
>>1) when i run pcomm, i connect, but i find that things don't get written to th
>>screen until i hit return. for instance, the prompt does not appear, but i ca
>>type in a command. when i hit return, the prompt and command appear, and the
>>command is executed. please help!
>
>I've seen then same thing happen with Kermit-5A. Any ideas?
>
>Brendan

I too have just "installed" pcomm95c+1 because it was to
have fixed the curses problems. Well, it fixed most of them, but
now I need to hit return to see the last line send from the host.
I remember reading about printf in GCC 2.1 under 0.96 (or 96a?)
not flushing everytime. Could this be related? It looks like
it isn't flushing on the last line.
Could the person who compiled it tell us what might be
different in system than ours..???

Ramblings.
Dan
--
Dan Miner
email: [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (H.J. Lu)

Subject: Re: A question on GCC header files......
Date: 5 Jun 92 01:43:57 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Mike Me) wri
tes:
>Hi linuxers, whats up?
>
>I'm trying to port some stuff to linux, and I'm using the gcc 2.12b.
>
>I get an error because the program I'm trying to compile needs
>2 header files. hdr.h and var.h
>
>I looked in our HP-9000's libraries and I found vars.h
>
>Does anyone know if it is the same thing as var.h, and where I may find
>hdr.h?
>
>I guess it should have been distributed with the GCC compiler, but
>I dont know exactly what the deal is. Maybee GCC doesn't use these
>headers, or names them differently.
>
>I'm obviously a beginner when it comes to the gcc compiler and all its
>tricks, I appreciate the help.
>
> Thanx,
> MikeE

Please do these:

1. comment out hdr.h and var.h.
2. compile the program and see what is missing, say "foo".
3. do

cd /usr/include
grep foo *.h
grep foo */*.h

If you couldn't find foo, you lose, or find an alternative, or write
one yourself.

Hope it help.

H.J.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (DEATH = ADDER)

Subject: Computer equipment info for LINUX (i.e. what's needed)
Sender: [email protected] (Net Noise owner)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 03:00:30 GMT

Hello, resently I posted a help needed message on this group and have
received a few emails from people. My question was simply asking if
what I have is ok to run linux and x. Anyway, I've saved all the emails
and if anyone else is interested in them, feel free to email me and I'll
send you a copy.
If you are one of the people who's emailed me information and for
some reason would not want either your email or name being distributed,
please send me email and I'll act accordingly.

Thanks for all the response.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Michael O'Reilly)

Subject: Re: another permissions problem
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 02:55:45 GMT

[email protected] (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
: Hello,
:
: I've been having some problems with permission also.
:
: Suppose I have a directory "/src", owned by root, grouped (is that a
: word?) by bin and permissions are rwxr-x--- and all files in src are
: rw-r--r--. As bin, I can't do an ls on src unless I change the
: permissions to rwxr-xr-x. Odd, so I checked to see who I was (bin)
: and ran groups which reported root. ??? Even odder is that if I log
: in as user, it reports that I am bin and am in group root.

GRIN. You might want to do something like
'chown root /bin/login' and
'chown root /bin/su' and
'chown root /bin/passwd'. Haveing these owned by bin and suid, is very
troublesome when trying to log in other users... ๐Ÿ˜‰

These programs should be set euid root.
: The passwd and group files are from Linux root disk 0.95a.
:
: Can anyone clue me in?
:
: Thanks in advance,
: Brendan
: --
: Brendan B. Boerner Phone: 512/346-8380
: Internet: [email protected] MHS: [email protected]
: Please use ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ if replying by mail.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Paul Fink)

Subject: Mouseman on serial port
Date: 5 Jun 1992 05:16:47 GMT

Anyone tried logitech mouseman on a serial port?
It seemd messed up. It jumps around on the screen and
moving it cuases the twm menu to appear.

I thought the mouseman was the same a logitech mouse, in fact it works
on the X terminal at work.

Paul

--
----------------------
Paul Fink [email protected] 617 234-4150

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: X Video Problems
Date: 5 Jun 92 00:17:30 -0600

I'm having an X Windows problem (what's new). The only way for me to get
X Windows started is to run X386, xinit/startx just sit there waiting for
a server connection???? And once X386 has loaded, the top of the screen
is just below the mid way mark, and the right side of the screen is
in the middle. I surmise I just have to play around with the timings
some more???? What are you supposed to do when it says "Waiting for
X server connections...????

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Vince Skahan)

Subject: Re: getting linux to see internal modem on COM2
Sender: [email protected] (System Security Officer)

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 04:42:14 GMT

the fix for me was to delete /dev/ttys2 and remake it with mknod as
per the FAQ. At that time I was running the mcc-interim 0.95c+ with a
cleaper-than-hell internal 2400 modem on COM2. Kermit/xc/pcomm all work now.

I've still been unable to get Taylor UUCP to see the modem at all
with the tsx-11 config files and executables. Guys, for heaven's sake
PLEASE supply working config files with the executables you upload...

--
Vince Skahan [email protected] (here)
[email protected] (work) [email protected] (home)

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Duty Programmer)

Subject: Re: Genius GM-6 Mouse & X11
Date: 5 Jun 92 05:30:23 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

The Genius GM-6 mouse works just fine with X11 if you stick to the
MouseSystems mode. Use 1200 baud. The only hitch is this: if you are running
X 0.2, then you need to do stty -istrip on the serial line. Some versions
of "stty" (mine included) don't seem to work, but if you use X11 v1.0,
everything works just fine, and you don't need to do anything else.

i.e. Upgrade your X to v1.0, and stick to MouseSystems mode.

rab
--
Richard Brown | E-mail: [email protected]
School of Physics | Phone : +61 3 344 5081

[next article]
From: [email protected] (James L. Paul)

Subject: using gnu tar 1.10 to do floppy backups
Date: 5 Jun 92 05:32:13 GMT

I'm trying to figure out how to use GNU tar 1.10 to backup my linux
root to floppies. I tried this:

tar cvfk /dev/PS0 1440 bin

from my root directory to backup /bin to floppy. I discovered that
this won't work, since this version of tar uses flags different from
what I am used to. I tried to puzzle out the meaning of the -L flag
and others listed with the +help list. (BTW, how do I capture this
list to a file or pipe it somewhere? Doing a 'tar +help >tmp.out'
doesn't work.)

How do I use this version of tar to backup a directory to floppies,
filling each floppy and prompting for the next as necessary?

--
James L. Paul

Internet: [email protected] | AppleLink: D1231 | CompuServe: 72767,3436
UUCP: {apple,amdahl}!netcom!james | GEnie: J.PAUL | Voice: 607 776-3070
Packet: [email protected]#WNY.NY.USA.NA | Delphi: JLPaul | Home Fax: 607 776-3070
America Online: JLPaul or Memorex | BIX: JLPaul | Prodigy: PWTB41A

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jim Burns)

Subject: Re: Man pages
Date: 5 Jun 92 06:02:53 GMT

in article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
it (Aldo Serraglio) says:

> Are there any man pages for "fsck" and "mkfs" (0.95c+ or 0.96a) ?

Just the source - ftp.mcc.ac.uk:dsk/pub/linux/mcc-interim/0.95c+/sources,
files in misc.tar.Z.
--
BURNS,JIM (returned student)
Georgia Institute of Technology, 30178 Georgia Tech Station,

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Douglas E. Quale)

Subject: Re: Orphaned Response
Sender: [email protected] (The News)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 05:56:53 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (H.J
. Lu) writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:
>>
>>Here's the source for wait3():
>>
>>pid_t wait3(int *wait_stat, int options, int *reserved)
>>{
>> if (reserved) {
>> errno = EINVAL;
>> return -1;
>> }
>> return waitpid(0, wait_stat, options);
>>}
>> ^^
>>Shouldn't this be -1 ?!? I thought wait3() operates on _all_
>>the children, not just those in the same process group.
>>Well, I guess we need a new system call for this, anyway...
>>

>According to HP-UX man page, it should be 0. What doe the other
>man pages say about this?
>
>BTW, waitpid (-1, ...) -> wait ().

I just looked at the HPUX wait(2) man page, and it says -1.
BSD Networking Release 2 also says -1,

WAIT(2) UNIX Programmer's Manual WAIT(2)

NAME
wait, waitpid, wait4, wait3 - wait for process terminatation

SYNOPSIS
#include
#include

pid_t
wait(int *status)

#include
#include

pid_t
waitpid(pid_t wpid, int *status, int options)

pid_t
wait3(int *status, int options, struct rusage *rusage)

pid_t
wait4(pid_t wpid, int *status, int options, struct rusage *rusage)

DESCRIPTION

<< omitted stuff>>

The waitpid() call is identical to wait4() with an rusage value of zero.
The older wait3() call is the same as wait4() with a wpid value of -1.

Here's what I use for wait3/wait4 in Linux:

/* Bezerkeley incompatible wait3/wait4. (Not atomic wrt signals.) */

#include
#include
#include
#include
#include

pid_t
wait3 (int *status, int options, struct rusage *rusage)
{
return wait4 (-1, status, options, rusage);
}

pid_t
wait4 (pid_t wpid, int *status, int options, struct rusage *rusage)
{
pid_t pid;

pid = waitpid (wpid, status, options);
if (rusage) getrusage (RUSAGE_CHILDREN, rusage);
return pid;
}

warn_references(wait3, "warning: wait3 emulation is not atomic wrt signals");
warn_references(wait4, "warning: wait4 emulation is not atomic wrt signals");

--
Doug Quale
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jim Burns)

Date: 5 Jun 92 06:51:49 GMT

in article , [email protected] (Steven M. Palm
) says:

> Is this the same BSD version that is a beta-test for a soon-to-be
> commrecial product, or is there a TRULY free BSD, that will remain
> free for time to come. ๐Ÿ™‚

386BSD is freely available in source & binary form from agate.berkeley.edu:
pub/386BSD. BSDI's BSD/386 is beta, costs ~$1000, has X & some other
goodies, & it is speculated that it will rise in cost when it is out of
beta.

> I was under the impression that the 386 BSD was going to be free only as
> long as it was beta, but hope Linux continues it's free status. It is one
> great piece of work.

386BSD is alpha, and will remain free only as long as Bill Jolitz has the
time and funds to continue supporting it (barring legal hassles). I believe
he teaches.

From: [email protected] (Gabor Herr)

Subject: Subject: Re: Genius GM-6 Mouse & X11
Sender: [email protected] (The Usenet-News System)
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1992 08:07:20 GMT

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: [email protected] (Gabor Herr)
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (John Beaven
) writes:
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm having trouble setting up X11 with my Genius GM-6 Mouse.
>
> The mouse was about the cheapest you could get about 2 years ago.
> It is serial, has 3 buttons, and supposedly emulates either
> MouseSystems or Microsoft mice. The way this is done is that
> if you hold a mouse button down when powering the machine on, it
> sets itself to Microsoft, otherwise it sets itself to MouseSystems.
>
> Anyway, I start X the usual way, the usual things appear on the screen
> including the X cursor, but I can't get it to respond to what
> I do with the mouse. I've played around with the Baud Rate in Xconfig,
> and I only get any response at all for 1200 and 2400, but
> whenever I move the mouse, the cursor moves erratically,
> and menus drop down, as if I was pressing buttons. Other baud rates
> give no response at all.
>
> So my question. Has anybody else got this mouse? If so, what
> are the settings in Xconfig that you use? Do I need to put some
> value in the Sample Rate (that line was commented out in the
> standard distribution)? If so, what?

I'm using this mouse with Linux under X, and I got the same problems.

To get the mouse work correctly you have to change the serial device
settings by

stty -istrip > /dev/ttys1 (if the mouse is connected to ttys1)

before starting X, or in your rc-file.

The Xconfig should contain the following lines for GM-6:

MouseSystems "/dev/ttys1"
BaudRate 1200

Gabor

Gabor Herr Email: [email protected]
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)

Subject: Re: fsck flags to fix ailing filesystems?
Date: 5 Jun 92 08:36:29 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Ken Corey - Operator
) writes:

>Interesting, fsck reports that larvsm are the flags it understands,
>but my man page on my (Sun4.1.1a) Unix machine a t work, and on
>my (mac)Minix don't show all those arguements.

Linux fsck is a quick hack, and not a very good program. I had hoped
somebody would expand it to do all the things a real fsck should do, but
it seems nobody else thinks it's an interesting project either.

The flags are similar to the minix fsck flags (as that's the only fsck
I've ever used), and are roughly as follows:

l - list all the files on the partition as you fsck. Not very practical,
but maybe you want to see what's going on.

r - repair any inconsistencies found, asking first if it's ok.

a - automatic repairs. Very simpleminded, but doing it by hand is
usually not worth it. If the problems are big enough that a doesn't
work, you might as well give up anyway under most circumstances.

v - verbose: print out some statistics.

s - show some super-block info

m - warn about the minix "mode not cleared" error: don't do this under
linux.

> The problem is that
>when I first got Linux, I also downloaded the unzip program.
> In the course of unzipping something, it trashed by /usr/root
>directory. Messing up the pointers somehow, so that the /usr/root
>directory could not be romoved.

Fsck doesn't handle bad directories at all, so the only thing you can do
in this case is to back up everything that seems ok, re-mkfs and
re-install that partition. If somebody has hacked fsck to work better
in these kinds of circumstances, I'd be interested to know.

As to why the errors happened, it certainly seems like a problem with
the scsi driver: I don't think it's a race in the fs-code, as this
doesn't seem to be a normal occurence. Could drew & co please
double-check?

Linus

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: DOS convertees
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 09:22:55 GMT

Hurrah I got it up last night (fnarr fnarr). Linux that is. Problem
was not linux, it was buying a hard disk. You pay for a hard disk and
what do they send you. A 3.5" disk drive. I ask you. Enough banter.
I'm using the mcc 0.95c+ package. Showing my ignorance....here are my
questions.
JJ>>1. PS1 is set to the time. How do I change it to the cwd ?
JJ>>2. I can print using cat file > /dev/pr1. Shouldn't pr file
work also. I doesn't for me.
JJ>>3. How do I create a new user. (ie me, so I'm not root always).
If this is FAQed somewhere just point me to it.
JJ>>4. shoelace. I have DOS on hda and Linux on hdb, am I right in
saying that shoelace will need to tinker with the boot sector
of hda. If not, how does it work ?

I'm too ashamed to post the others, they are so trivial, and I should
do more homework on them myself first.

On another point, it occurs to me that there may be quite a few 'DOS
convertees' like myself with zilcho knowledge of UNIXy systems. If
there aren't there should be and the reasons are probably
a) ignorance, without ftp/email they don't know it exists
b the need for ftp ability
c the fact that the list seems very 'kernel hacker' oriented.

I wonder if it wouldn't be worth setting up something for non hackers.
Perhaps a separate list, but a better idea I think for now,
is to designate someone who is to be mailed with 'non hacker/trivial'
queries (like mine above). Me if you like. That person needn't be a
Linux/UNIX expert. But he or she would need a list of Linux/UNIX
experts who wouldn't mind being contacted with *user* queries. This
has several advantages

a) I get a list of experts who I can contact about trivia ๐Ÿ˜‰
b) Queries could be digested.
c) You'd get an idea of the potential DOS convertees out there.
d) You could set up a land-mail posting of a starter-disk kit.
e) Duplicate queries would be filtered out.

Perhaps this is all premature, and when Linux 1.0 is released this
will all be more easily addressed (there being a non beta version
then.) In any case it can't hurt to increase the momentum behind
Linux with more users. (I assume that an aim is to get as many people
using linux as possible, of whatever ilk). I personally feel
the largest group of potential Linuxers out there are DOS convertees.
These 'DOSers' simply don't know about Linux, and if they do struggle
with ftp. I would be prepared to land-mail all the major publications
in UK with a letter saying that DOSers could land-mail me with the
price of 2/4 disks +P&P, and I'd send them Linux (say the mcc-interim
version +/- gcc.) I know this has flaws like, the lack of man pages...
but these could be highlighted in the letter.

Any and all comments gratefully received.
JJ

:: Jon Jagger asjrbj[email protected]
:: Sheffield City Polytechnic, Pond Sreet, SHEFFIELD S1 1WB
:: Tel 0742 533802/432889 (work/home) Fax 0743 533840
:: Newspaper ad: Men wanted for expanding contracting company!

[next article]
From: [email protected] (`Grave' Dave Gymer)

Subject: VGA bit/gray/pixmap viewer
Date: 5 Jun 92 09:14:35 GMT

Just uploaded:

banjo.concert.net: /pub/Linux/Incoming/view.tar.Z

This is an alpha release of bitmap/graymap/pixmap viewer using the VGA
library by Tommy Frandsen. (I am using a lightly patched version of
the library which stops it mucking with file descriptor 0; I posted
the patches to Tommy, but if this causes trouble I guess I could post
them here too.)

No binaries yet, I`m afraid (I want it to be in a much more stable
state before I start thinking about things like that :^).

Share and enjoy!
--
I'm a .signature with an identity crisis.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (`Grave' Dave Gymer)

Subject: Re: VGA bit/gray/pixmap viewer
Date: 5 Jun 92 09:25:30 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Dave Gymer)
writes:
>Just uploaded:
>
> banjo.concert.net: /pub/Linux/Incoming/view.tar.Z

Whoops! Last minute name change caught me out, it should be dpg-view.tar.Z.
Sorry.

From: [email protected] (Othman Ahmad)

Date: 5 Jun 92 09:44:12 GMT

In article [email protected] (Steven M. Palm)
writes:

: In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Paul Richards
) writes:
: >There is a version of 386bsd that does not need a co-processor (ask in
: >comp.unix.bsd for details). The coprocesor is not essaential to the
: >kernel but some of the utilities to set up the HD needed it. Somebody
: >has fixed this for systems without a coprocessor.
: >
: >It's already very usable. I've got a system running NFS connected to a
: >SUN 3/60 and ALMOST everything works. Telnet and ftp work fine but I've
: >had a few NFS problems. If you have to have networking (which I did)
: >then it's worth a look. The kernel is not as stable as Linux but it's
: >getting there very quickly. It does however come with most unix
: >utilities as part of the distribution.
:
: Is this the same BSD version that is a beta-test for a soon-to-be
: commrecial product, or is there a TRULY free BSD, that will remain
: free for time to come. ๐Ÿ™‚
:
: >Linux users may be interested to know that Linux has been used as an
: >example on many occasions for bug fixes etc. I hope this swapping of
: >info increases as both systems have an important role to play in the
: >future of free unix systems.
:
: I've had more fun under Linux than I've had in a long time. Thanks
: loads to Linus and H.J. (right?) for Linux and the GCC work respectively.
: You guys have put a smile on my face. And then, of course, thanks to all
: the countless hands at keyboards that have made it so useable and fun to
: be a part of.
:
: I was under the impression that the 386 BSD was going to be free only as
386BSD core sources are under UCB copyright which is more free than GNU
copyleft which is similar to Linux.
The commercial BSD386 is different,it costs $1000. 386BSD only asks
for registration fee of $150.00 for both sources and binaries.

From: [email protected] (Guido Muesch)

Subject: X386 & Tseng MegaEva/1024 Problems
Date: 5 Jun 92 10:29:05 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Newsfiles Owner)

I got Linux 0.96a, X11v1.0 package, a Tseng MegaEva/1024 and
a Qume Monitor (fixed frequency).

The only resolution I got to work is 1024x768 (interlaced).
I dont get any other resolution to work. The clocks of my videocard are:

Clocks 25 28 38 40 24 30 32 47 (Thats what X386 will find)

The exact clocks are (determined by clock.exe):
25.2 28.3 37.6 23.8 29.5 32.0 39.7 46.9

I tried the VESA standards given in vga.dbase, the timings
Geraldo Veiga gave me (for the Qume835):

"640x480" 25 640 672 768 800 480 490 492 525
"800x600" 40 800 816 952 1056 600 608 610 633
"840x624" 40 840 884 1032 1056 624 624 626 648
"912x680" 40 912 936 984 1120 680 680 688 704
"1024x768i" 40 1024 1064 1224 1264 768 777 785 817 Interlace

but none of them worked except "1024x768i"

I also tried another Monitor (Nec Multisync II) and the corresponding
timings given in vga.dbase:

"640x480" 28 640 676 776 812 480 480 485 505
"752x564" 36 752 788 916 952 564 564 569 594
"800x600" 40 800 864 1000 1056 600 600 605 631

which gave the same effect.

I cant believe that my monitor is so bad, and by the way 800x600 in
16 colors works perfectly under Minix (MGR). I also can get all the other
resolutions under DOS without a problem. Is there a problem with the
Linux port of X386? Or is there a capability missing under Linux which
X386 needs? Or is it just my video card? But its an original Tseng
(Maybe thats a problem 8-))

I am thankful for any suggestions.

Guido

--
/\ email: [email protected]
__/ \ ________________________________________________________________

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Tommy Thorn)

Subject: Ugly hack => X works
Date: 5 Jun 92 13:48:13 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Tommy Thorn)

I hadn't been able to get X working (et4000, 386DX, 4Mb, IDE),
but then I got the idea that something must be wrong with the
X server and not me.

I therefore hacked regs.c (from the MGR dist.) into setting
the registers.

Using Dos (shutter) I set the mode to 1024x768 interlaced,
ran regs, which produced the register dump. This dump
was hacked together with regs.c to form a setmode, which
would installed the dumped register. I then configured
X to the standard VESA 1024x768 interlaced (changed Interlace
to interlace!), ran xinit (strange patterns on my screen)
..and ran.. setmode .. Guissc..zz. MAGIC! X now works!

..which leaves sure theres bugs in the server.

--
/Tommy Thorn, another LPF member. Terminate software patents.
Join The League for Programming Freedom, mail [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Tony Travis)

Subject: Re: DOS convertees
Date: 5 Jun 92 14:08:42 GMT
Sender: [email protected].ic.ac.uk

[email protected] writes:
: Hurrah I got it up last night (fnarr fnarr). Linux that is. Problem
: was not linux, it was buying a hard disk. You pay for a hard disk and
: what do they send you. A 3.5" disk drive. I ask you. Enough banter.
: I'm using the mcc 0.95c+ package. Showing my ignorance....here are my
: questions.

Yes, I got it up for the first time last night too ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm using the 0.96a bootimage and 0.95a rootimage from the mirror of nic
at ic.doc:/public/os/Linux. We also have an archive of alt.os.linux and
comp.os.linux here too if you're interested.

: JJ>>1. PS1 is set to the time. How do I change it to the cwd ?

Ah! I see you want Linux to look like DROSS do you ๐Ÿ™

under csh you can alias "cd" to reset your prompt:

alias cd 'set old=$cwdhdir \!*;set prompt="`hostname`:$cwd> "'

can you do aliases under ash/bash or whatever Linux uses ??

: JJ>>2. I can print using cat file > /dev/pr1. Shouldn't pr file
: work also. I doesn't for me.

"pr" just formats text (BSD lpr prints it, SysV lp prints it)

: JJ>>3. How do I create a new user. (ie me, so I'm not root always).
: If this is FAQed somewhere just point me to it.

edit another line into /etc/passwd, and mkdir a new home directory.

: JJ>>4. shoelace. I have DOS on hda and Linux on hdb, am I right in
: saying that shoelace will need to tinker with the boot sector
: of hda. If not, how does it work ?

I've been using Minix/386 on my second drive (drive 1) for a while, but
I couldn't see how to boot using shoelace (works fine on drive 0) so I
have been using the menu on the Minix boot image to select (Minix)
drive h6.

I patched the word at offset 508 in the Linux boot disk using Norton
Utilitiess and Linux now uses /dev/hdb1 as the root filesystem.

: I'm too ashamed to post the others, they are so trivial, and I should
: do more homework on them myself first.

I found it easy to install the Linux root filesystem, but I am very
confused about what software categories are required/optional for a
viable Linux system. I am also slightly embarrassed to admit to this
in public, but there must be many people on the brink of switching to
Linux who would be grateful for more advice on which files to grab.

I've seen lots of different answers to this question on comp.os.linux
but none are complete enough!!

: On another point, it occurs to me that there may be quite a few 'DOS
: convertees' like myself with zilcho knowledge of UNIXy systems. If
: there aren't there should be and the reasons are probably
: a) ignorance, without ftp/email they don't know it exists
: b the need for ftp ability
: c the fact that the list seems very 'kernel hacker' oriented.

I don't agree - comp.os.linux has a very diverse readership. There
are, of course, plenty of kernel hackers here but there are lots of
others here too.

The Linux installation is *aimed* at people with little Unix knowledge
and I was impressed how easy it was to install the root filesystem. If
each module was organised like this, it would be just great but I
expect a lot of work went into simplifying the initial bootstrap.

: I wonder if it wouldn't be worth setting up something for non hackers.
: Perhaps a separate list, but a better idea I think for now,
: is to designate someone who is to be mailed with 'non hacker/trivial'
: queries (like mine above). Me if you like. That person needn't be a
: Linux/UNIX expert. But he or she would need a list of Linux/UNIX
: experts who wouldn't mind being contacted with *user* queries. This
: has several advantages

NO!! we had endless discussions about splitting up comp.os.minix and
the consensus of opinion was that it was a BAD idea to split the group.
The popularity of comp.os.linux is self evident and I think it is just
right as it is. The *user* queries you identify should be posted here
unless the appear in an FAQ in which case someone is bound to point it
out in a follow-up.

Tony

--
Tony Travis | Dr. A.J.Travis
| Rowett Research Institute,
| Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen,
| AB2 9SB. UK. tel 0224-712751

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jim Wissner)

Subject: Super-newbie boot blues
Date: 5 Jun 92 14:25:35 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I'm trying to install version .95a onto a 65meg RLL drive, and in
a nutshell here's what happens:

It boots fine from the floppies originally, it recognizes my hard
drive, I set the partitions w/ fdisk, and then create the filesystem
via mkfs. This all seems to work fine, with the exception of quite
a few more errors during the mkfs procedure than I think ought to
be there - but it works nonetheless.
[mount; create directory structures; sync; etc]
Then I try to change the boot disk: I've done this by using
pboot and I've created and used the rootset program (I think that
was from install.notes). pboot works uneventfully, and rootset
sort of works - it says that it doesn't like the disk, but when I
choose "fail" from the abort,retry,or fail trio, it seems to write
the sectors anyway.

I get two different errors from these disks, and it seems to me that
with the pboot created disk, it goes into this [seemingly] infinite
loop of displaying hex addresses down the left column of my screen.
The second error, which is the "kernel panic" then lockup, I get two
ways: by using the rootset created disk, or by pulling out the disk
during the first error and inserting the original boot disk.

Hmmm... I guess that was a large nutshell...
A thousand apologies for the obvious simplicity of this question
but I can't see what I'm overlooking...

Jim
[email protected]
(email or post or whatever - any responses will be appreciated)

--

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Al Clark)

Subject: Re: Floating point problem (Where did it go? ๐Ÿ™‚
Date: 5 Jun 92 14:46:49 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Dan Miner) writ
es:

> Here is a VERY strange problem. I am playing with
>vgalib and expanding it since X requires several megs (memory
>and disk, I have 2 Meg RAM and 40 Meg partition.. w/o mouse).
>So X is out. Vgalib gives us poor people (or students) a
>very simple graphical access.
>
> Anyone who has done any interactive graphics knows that
>you can't live without floating point. Well, I am making a font
>"system". Since I can't find code to help me with decoding the
>vast vector fonts out there, I am making one myself. I need
>a couple of scaling factors. Floating point.
>
>Here is a blurp from my code...
>
>double scalar;
>[...]
> scalar = 480 / 640;
>
> You would expect a value between 0 and 1. You
>print it.. What do I get? 0.00000
>What is going on here?
>
> I have had alot of little problems with 2.11c. Someone
>thinks that tar is the fault. I think I had replaced for untarring
>the files. Has anyone had similar problem?
>
> (I have no 387...)
>
>Thanks.
>Dan
>--
> Dan Miner email:
> [email protected] (prefered)
>Computer Science [email protected]

Your problem is using implicit type conversions; you were assuming
that 480 and 640 would be floated before division; they are after.
I don't know the standard, but what happens is reasonable. A Sun
does the same thing.

===================== tst.c =============
main()
{
double x;
x = 480/640;
printf("x=%f\n", x);
x = 480.0/640.0;
printf("x=%f\n", x);
x = (float)480/(float)640;
printf("x=%f\n", x);
}
Executing -
x=0.000000
x=0.750000
x=0.750000
--
Al - [email protected] - My opinions are my own.
*** Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty! ***

[next article]
From: [email protected] (James Henrickson)

Subject: Re: serial FAQ list
Date: 5 Jun 92 05:08:44 GMT

Douglas E. Quale) writes:
>This has come up a couple of times already (including the case of
>serial mice as well), but for the record stty acts on stdin not stdout.
>Old stty's (from V7 through BSD4.3) used stdout, but this is suboptimal
>and doesn't conform to POSIX. The GNU stty you are likely using on Linux
>uses stdin, as does the stty distributed with BSD Networking Release 2.
>(Also, ``stty -a'' is more informative about possible parameters, although
>it's pretty hard for me to remember what 90% of that stuff does without
>refering to the man page.)

Say what you will, but "stty -istrip > /dev/ttys2" got my mouse to work
with X. If it works, do it. ๐Ÿ™‚

jim

--
James L. Henrickson, Software Engineer * "machine learning for
Critical Technologies Inc. * autonomous vehicles, digital

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ken Seergobin)

Subject: Calc and Emacs
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 02:08:07 GMT

Hi,

Why am I unable to compile calc? I have uncompressed
and detarred all of the files from the emacs directory
from tsx to their respective directories.

Thanks in Advance,
Ken

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ken Seergobin)

Subject: Calc and Emacs (DISREGARD)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 03:23:21 GMT

Please disregard my previous post concerning the
complilation of calc. I jumped the gun.

Ken

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Joerg Sauer)

Subject: Problems with UUCP Package
Date: 5 Jun 92 00:21:37 GMT

Hi there!

I downloaded the UUCP Binary Package and have the following problem:

When I execute one of the binaries, Linux pauses for a while and then
prints this error message:

general protection: 0000
EIP: 000f:03FFFFFF
EFLAGS: 00013203
ESP: 0017:03BFFCB8
fs: 0017
base: 1C000000, limit: 04000000
stack: 0000 9BC6 0000 9B54 00000000 00009BE4
Pid: 34, process nr: 7
00general protection: 0000
EIP: 0008:0000C529
EFLAGS: 00013293
fs: 0017
base: 1C000000, limit: 04000000
Pid: 34, process nr: 7
64 8a 04 0b 0f a1 25 ff 00 00
Memory fault

(or similar)

It's Linux 0.96a with the 0.95a rootimage on a 386-40 with 2 MB ram.

Maybe not enough memory?

Thanks in advance,
Joerg

PS: Perhaps there is a smaller UUCP package than taylor UUCP?

--
* Joerg Sauer * E-Mail: [email protected] *
* Munich, Germany * "Beam me up Scotty, there is no *

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Erik Fichtner)

Subject: Re: using gnu tar 1.10 to do floppy backups
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 92 16:07:10 GMT

In article <9k#[email protected]> [email protected] (James L. Paul) writes:
>list to a file or pipe it somewhere? Doing a 'tar +help >tmp.out'
>doesn't work.)

That doesn't work because gnu tar dumps help to stderr. you want to do this
instead: 'tar +help 2>tar.help'

>How do I use this version of tar to backup a directory to floppies,
>filling each floppy and prompting for the next as necessary?

tar cvzMf /dev/PS0 /*
works fine for me in grabbing everything from everywhere, compressing it
and dumping it off to multiple floppies... prompting for a new volume
when it hits the end of the current one.

>--
>James L. Paul
>
>Internet: [email protected] | AppleLink: D1231 | CompuServe: 72767,3436
>UUCP: {apple,amdahl}!netcom!james | GEnie: J.PAUL | Voice: 607 776-3070
>Packet: [email protected]#WNY.NY.USA.NA | Delphi: JLPaul | Home Fax: 607 776-3070
>America Online: JLPaul or Memorex | BIX: JLPaul | Prodigy: PWTB41A

--
Techs [email protected]
Disclaimer: any inaccuracies are caused by the phase of the moon

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Budi Rahardjo)

Subject: PS/2 (Bus) mouse blues ....
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 16:09:31 GMT

How do I create /dev/mouse for PS/2 or bus type mouse ?
Do I have to create my own device driver program ?
I'd like to use Xwindows or MGR or other windowing packages. Unfortunately
all I have PS/2 type mouse and I don't know the entry for the mouse...

I am tempted to buy a serial mouse .... but then I will loose one serial
port. Oh well... Am I the only person using ps/2 (bus) mouse ? Anybody ?

-- budi
--
Budi Rahardjo

Electrical Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Andrew Mendelsohn)

Subject: mgr mouse problem?
Date: 5 Jun 92 16:46:00 GMT

When attempting to start mgr, I get the following message:
"can't find the mouse, or it is already in use
:no such file or directory"

I am using last weeks version og mgr from linuxmgr.tar.Z on
a 486 AMI bios clone with a Champ(=Genius) serial mouse
running in MS mode on COM1 using the Linux 96a kernel and
MCC interim version root disk. My video card is a trident 1
MB clone. Do I have to initialize the mouse in a special
way?
andy mendelsohn

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ken Corey - Operator)

Subject: SCSI Errors?
Sender: [email protected] (UNT USENet Adminstrator)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 17:02:47 GMT

Has anyone out there using boot .96a and root .95a with
and ST01 adapter, and 2 SCSI hard drives had a problem with
directory names turning to junk?

Here's what I find when I go back to this filesystem later:

total 97421
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 192 Jun 1 21:39 ./
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 384 Jun 5 00:59 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 15806 24 804 May 2 20:06 Logo
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 May 31 08:20 lib/
?r-S--S--- 1 129 41 21234688 ??? ?? ???? mille
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 29985 Mar 15 14:57 rain*
?r-S--S--- 1 129 42 28588032 Nov 29 1991 tt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23735 Jun 1 13:56 worms*

I've replaced all the binaries on my system, including the
compiler passes. No luck.

mille and tt were both executables, but this usually happens on
directories.

-Ken

[next article]
From: [email protected] (T. Morley)

Subject: BSD[I]386/386BSD [was Re: What files to grab ?]
Date: 5 Jun 92 16:04:12 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The news facility)

writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Paul Richards)
writes:
[Stuff about 386bsd]

> Is this the same BSD version that is a beta-test for a soon-to-be
> commrecial product, or is there a TRULY free BSD, that will remain
> free for time to come. ๐Ÿ™‚

386BSD is the name for the free unix that is based round the BSD Net/2
release, it is a FREE unix, and I beleieve it is going to stay this way.
BSD386 is a commercial probuct that is still in beta test at the moment,
though it is soon going to be released in the final version. This is a
rather expecnsive option compared to 386BSD as it is about 600 quid for
the full system (but this does include source code which helps).

> I was under the impression that the 386 BSD was going to be free only as
> long as it was beta, but hope Linux continues it's free status. It is one
> great piece of work.

386BSD Will continue to be free as will Linux (I hope).

--
Tim Morley

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jay Pfaffman)

Subject: MGR & Logitech
Date: 5 Jun 92 16:53:26 GMT

I've got MGR running on my 386sx/4mb ram VGA, Linux 0.96a
machine, but (of course) my Logitech mouse won't work. I have
been able to get things to calm down enough to find that I can
type stuff in windows. It looks pretty fast; the random mouse
movements give it a good workout. ๐Ÿ™‚

Has anyone had any luck with a Logitech mouse? I thought that
the new ones were Microsoft compatible, but that seems not to
be the case.

I hope that there's a termcap somewhere that I've missed.
--
Jay Pfaffman, Computer Coordinator [email protected]
Dwight-Englewood School

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Paul Lalonde)

Subject: Does Linux use the BIOS for HD access at any point
Sender: [email protected] (Netnews control)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 17:08:41 GMT

Except booting that is? I'd like to get my old MFM drive under the
hood alongside my IDE drive. Now the MFM controller has no BIOS, and
can be switched to use the mythical "secondary address". However,
my CMOS does not want to know about it. The AMI bios chokes if I tell
it about the drive. Can Linux use it? Does anyone know if I can patch
the HD driver to know there is a disk there even if no BIOS registers
it?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul A. Lalonde Internet: [email protected]
Home Phone: (613)549-0605 Work Phone: (613)545-6754

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible aux yeux"
- Antoine de St.-Exeupery

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Daniel E. Wollman)

Subject: CLOCK.EXE
Date: 5 Jun 92 16:56:54 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Is there a location from where I can ftp CLOCK.EXE for
examining my vga card timings?

Thanks in advance

Dan

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: summary: uucp,etc...
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 17:52:57 GMT

Since SO MANY people ๐Ÿ˜‰ are interested, here is a summary of my system at
present:
386-33(ami bios, hawk motherboard)w/64kcache and 4MB (no swap, installed dos
on that partition for circuit designs, usually a 20MB swap)
with the swap the first X386 ran beautifully, w/o swap, it is slow and limited
I have a 100MB seagate(st3120a) with 52MB root, 31MB /home, and 21MB c:
I have a 1.44 as fd0, and 1.2 as fd1. I have a 360 unconnected in the case.
I have the following serial ports:
ttys1: 0x3f8,IRQ4,mouse
ttys2: 0x2f8,IRQ3,terminal(only used for debugging problems so far)
ttys3: 0x3e8,IRQ7,modem(2400, 9600s/r fax, used for uucp and attmail)
ttys4: 0x2e8,IRQ5,laptop running pcplus(also good for debugging, output jerky)
and the following printer ports(unused at the moment, printer is broken)
lp0: 0x378
lp1: 0x278
I am using a BOCA SVGA w/1MB (tseng 4000AX) in 80x25 mode
I have an AcerView 25 UVGA monitor(14", non-interlaced 1024x768x256 poss),
however, due to the screens small size, I only used 640x480 mode with X(too
lazy to figure out 800x600 timings) ๐Ÿ˜‰
I am using tcsh currently(no ftp access, and rm'ed bash.) ๐Ÿ™

Now for the e-mail configuration: what I have so far:
I asked David Nugent how he was set up, and I am trying to follow his example.
He suggested taylor uucp, smail, and elm.
I got the sources for uucp, and recompiled(about 100 times in fact.) ๐Ÿ˜‰
A note for anyone taking this approach that knows little about uucp:
Change the conf.h and policy.h files to use TAYLOR CONFIG FILES because the
source comes WITH documentation for those files(If you have a formatter,
you can even read the documentation. I assume that ?roff should be used) ๐Ÿ˜‰
in policy.h, make sure that HAVE_INTERNET_MAIL is set to 0(unless your
sure of what you are doing, cause tcp.c WON'T compile) also, make sure
that where they refer to host names, you use the name for YOUR machine, not
the machines that you will be connecting with(my first mistake, resulting
in another recompile)
SMAIL*** use your machine name as a host name, not the machine you will
connect to.(I put attmail as a machine name, and smail can't resolve
the simple address attmail!jgifford)(alas, without bash, I can't recompil to
fix that problem) I got smail-3.1.25(from david) and it compiled with only
a few site specific changes(machine names mostly) David did all the work of
setting up an option for compiling it on a linux machine, and if
someone wants, I can email or post or upload the architectures and os-config
files.(can't remember exact filenames at the moment, sorry)

elm*** I got elm 2.3patch level 11 from bill jones
it compiled for a while, and then worked. No problems..

MY PROBLEMS WITH THE ABOVE:
uucp(works great, just need to get the cron stuff)
smail: when uucp does the rmail jim command, I get the mail, but there is
ALWAYS a general protection fault(I hope to resolve it with a new compiler)
also, on my last uucp mail download, I somehow "lost" half the e-mail, I don't
know where it went, I guess to mail heaven?
how do you set up config,router,transport,and director files for smail?

elm:
works mostly: When I send mail:
it prompts To: and I type in an address, but I don't see it till I hit
enter. same with all other input in elm. I figure it is the flush problem?
I am still using gcc 2.1 from april. I hope a new compiler will fix that.
I chose emacs as my editor for elm, however, the stuff I type into emacs
(and save of course) doesn't get to the recipient, only headers show up.

summary:
incoming mail mostly works, outgoing I have to force, and I haven't seen it
go further than getting to my account on attmail.
elm mostly works, except for a few (curses related?) bugs.
uucp work great(I think, I am not an expert.)

replies to [email protected](I found a way around the rmail bug)
[email protected]
ps, if the above is a little incoherent, it is because I am sick, and using
an on-line editor that doesn't edit previous lines easily. I have
a MAJOR headache, a minor fever, sore throat... and this is the onl time I
have to work on these problems. ๐Ÿ™

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Daniel Jimenez)

Subject: Success Story
Date: 5 Jun 92 18:02:14 GMT

My system is just barely a '386 box. It's called a "Cumulus
Work-Box," and comes with a Paradise VGA card and monitor.
It came with one meg installed, which I upgraded to three
recently so I could run Linux. (I use six megs of swap space.)

After seeing Linux's capabilities, I let it have 3/4 of my 40
meg hard drive. I started using it for my number theory work
and ported a bignum package to it, which seems to run well.

Now I have X386 working, after figuring out that my $%#?! VGA

card has only 256K and hacking my Xconfig to do 640x400.
It looks great, and seems to work about the same speed as a
SPARCstation ELC with 8 megs trying to run twm. Not great,
but certainly not bad for three megs!

If anyone else out there is burdened with one of these machines,
mail me and I'll send you my Xconfig.
--
Daniel Jimenez

[next article]
From: [email protected] (James Woodgate)

Subject: pfdisk problem
Date: 5 Jun 1992 13:44:24 -0500
Sender: Jim Woodgate

I ran pfdisk and it seemed to work fine, in fact linux
now runs on my hard drive. (Although I still have to
boot off the floppy) My problem is that even though
fdisk, pfdisk, and the dos fdisk all seem to like my
dos partition of 87Meg, and my non-dos partiton of
32 Meg, when I do a dir of the dos drive it still seems
to think that the 32 Meg is usable. Is this a problem,
or will the system figure out that something is wrong
and correct it. Also note that I ran Norton Disk Doctor
and chkdsk and they didn't have a problem, but they did
think that dos had that 32 Meg also.

--
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
-- Pink Floyd, from "Dark Side of the Moon"

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Subject: Re: SCSI Errors?
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 18:44:48 GMT

r) writes:
>Has anyone out there using boot .96a and root .95a with
>and ST01 adapter, and 2 SCSI hard drives had a problem with
>directory names turning to junk?
>
>Here's what I find when I go back to this filesystem later:

>total 97421
>drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 192 Jun 1 21:39 ./
>drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 384 Jun 5 00:59 ../
>-rw-r--r-- 1 15806 24 804 May 2 20:06 Logo
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 May 31 08:20 lib/
>?r-S--S--- 1 129 41 21234688 ??? ?? ???? mille
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 29985 Mar 15 14:57 rain*
>?r-S--S--- 1 129 42 28588032 Nov 29 1991 tt
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23735 Jun 1 13:56 worms*
>
>I've replaced all the binaries on my system, including the
>compiler passes. No luck.
>
>mille and tt were both executables, but this usually happens on
>directories.

Nope. The only two things that could cause this should be

1. Not sync()ing the disks before shutting down -
you should run fsck with the -r flag
from your /etc/rc script to detect
anything that happened at shutdown, because
writing to the filesystem before a
fsck will only make things worse.

2. Bad sectors.

Along another line, you might want to try the new seagate driver.
It's interrupt driven (remember to jumper the seagate
card for IRQ5), so other processes are scheduled during
disk access.

It's available in source at headrest.woz.colorado.edu, and there
is also a bootable kernel there for SEAGATE ONLY!

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ben Cox)

Subject: recompiling 0.96a with gcc 2.11c
Sender: [email protected] (Net Noise owner)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 19:00:21 GMT

I got the following error while trying to recompile 0.96a with GCC
2.11c and the 0.96a includes that came with:

(in the linux/lib directory, I think)
# make
gcc -c -o string.o string.c
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
make: *** [string.o] Error 1
#

Sorry if this has been mentioned before; I couldn't find it.

Any help would be appreciated!

--
Ben Cox
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ian Wells)

Subject: Re: ESDI disk ? anybody
Date: 5 Jun 92 17:54:13 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The news facility)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Darren Senn)
writes:

I use a 120Mb Micropolis HD under Linux. I had to do a low-level format
to remap all my bad sectors, but it worked fine afterwards. Make sure
that the controller you get supports bad sector remapping (most do).

You shouldn't have to remap[ the bad sectors. If you do a 'mkfs -c '
when you make the file system, then all the bad sectors found are put
into a file called '.badblocks' so that files don't get them.
Although remapping sectors is still probably a good idea.

Ian Wells.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Alex Liu)

Subject: Re: mgr mouse problem?
Date: 5 Jun 1992 12:36:45 -0700

[email protected] (Andrew Mendelsohn) writes:

>When attempting to start mgr, I get the following message:
>"can't find the mouse, or it is already in use
>:no such file or directory"

This was a COMMON problem in the previous release of MGR. So I added new
configuration features to the new release so this shouldn't happen IF
the program was set correctly.

In the README file (part of the full distribution file) explains what are
the correct responses to the rather terse questions in the install/makemgr
scripts. For the mouse port for example, it says that you should enter
/dev/ttysX where X is the COM port number. (Assumming of course you do
have a /dev/ttys1 or 2 or whatever. If you don't then you should mknod
one or change it to the appropiate device name)

>I am using last weeks version og mgr from linuxmgr.tar.Z on
>a 486 AMI bios clone with a Champ(=Genius) serial mouse
>running in MS mode on COM1 using the Linux 96a kernel and
>MCC interim version root disk. My video card is a trident 1
>MB clone. Do I have to initialize the mouse in a special
>way?

Yes, you are supposed to use /dev/ttys1 as in the README instructions
when entering the mouse port name.

--
Alejandro Liu |EMail: [email protected] |All mispellings are intentional
3131 Mc Clintock #373F |Voice: 213-745-2431 |Anything mentioned here is not

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Randy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss

Subject: DOS/MS Windows compatibility for Free Software
Date: 5 Jun 92 18:59:10 GMT

What is being done/thought about to allow software developed originally
for DOS and MS Windows to be used with free OS's.

I have heard about a program that would allow MS DOS to to be run under
Linux under 8086 emulation mode. I've also head some rumors about a free
DOS 2.1 clone.

My own sense is that there is a window of opportunity right now for
free software. Microsoft is quite a ways from getting their "real" OS-
Windows NT to market.

There are a few things that could, I think dramatically expand the installed
base of the free software users, now that Linux is becoming more widely
available:

1) A kernel hack that would allow MS Windows 3.0 or 3.1 to run under the
DOS emulation mode under Linux. My understanding is that this would
essentially involve writing a set of DOS Protected Memory Interface
routines.

2) A free product similar to the commercial technology which would allow MS
Windows programs to be recompiled to run under X-Windows. I'm not sure
how big a project this is, but I get the impression that Bristol is
not a terribly big company. Another company has a similar product
that allows Macintosh programs to be recompiled to run under Sun's
Open Windows. Such products could help free software in two ways:
a) there is quite a bit of good Mac and Windows Public domain software
out there. A lot of it fills niches that it will be a long time
before they would be otherwise filled in the X windows arena. The
availability of these programs would mean that a lot of people could
use Linux and eventually Hurd and BSD who would otherwise be shut out.
b) The availability of such products could spur the use of Free OS's for
cross development purposes. My sense is that a lot of programmers
would convert before the corporate end-user base would.

3) We need to establish a universally available GUI API similar approach and
availability to the XVT product that would make it possible to develop
software for all major installed user bases using a common API. My sense
is that rather than promoting a consumer boycott of Apple, it may well be
more constructive to in effect promote a _gradual_ abandonment by
programmers of the proprietary Microsoft and Apple API's.

4) We need to develop more snazzy software that appeals to end-users. In
particular we need some genius out there to develop a free product which
empowers end users in the same way that products like Hypercard have.

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: my uucp/e-mail (again)
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 19:50:44 GMT

Some of you are wondering if I now have a linux box on the internet.
Well, yes and no. yes-ish to e-mail, no to EVERYthing else.
see, attmail is a commercial e-mail service with an 800 #(toll free in US)
that provides uucp and dial-up e-mail on one number.(depends on login)
They in turn are uucp-ed to a machine they have (called internet) that gateways
to the internet, so, for me to send e-mail to someone from raskol(my 386)
then I send it to attmail!internet!host.site.dom!user. I am also
reachable from uucp(althoug I am NOT on the uucp maps)
through ...!uunet!attmail!raskol!jim(that's me) ๐Ÿ˜‰
I am looking into other means of connecting to the internet, but it
will probably have to wait till I am back in school(at a REAL school that
has internet access)

I hope that this clears up any misconceptions that may exist because
of my attempts to connect. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jim Gifford
[email protected]
[email protected]

[next article]
From: Bill Dueber

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 15:47:14 -0500

frey L Newbern) writes:
>>>1) when i run pcomm, i connect, but i find that things don't get written to t
he
>>>screen until i hit return. for instance, the prompt does not appear, but i c
an
>>>type in a command. when i hit return, the prompt and command appear, and the
>>>command is executed. please help!

I wouldn't call it a "fix", but I had the same problem with pcomm and
don't have the problem with xcomm, also available at your friendly
neighborhood Linux archive site. Xcomm is a really nice program, too.

--Bill

Bill Dueber [email protected]
"If I met myself, I think I'd hate me for a while, until I got to know
myself better."

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Mika Pekka Liljeberg)

Subject: Re: tcsh vs bash, anyone?
Date: 5 Jun 92 21:01:37 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Uutis Ankka)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] wrote:
> Ok, I want to know what everyone prefers, tcsh, or bash.
> I like tcsh cause I already have config files for it (.log[in,out],.cshrc)
> from my sun days. I like bash cause on linux, it handles runaway programs
> better.
> Here is a test program to demonstrate:
> # echo '$0' >/bin/foo
> # chmod ugo+rx /bin/foo
> # rehash (under tcsh of course)
> # foo
> under bash, it will give error "can't fork process" after a while.(do a ps
> before and after running it, see them jobs add up.....)
> under tcsh, the program runs forever, and will bring your system to it's knees
> (depending on how much memory you have is my guess, I only have 4 meg.)

Yup. I've got 8MB. I ran your test with 'free -S 1' going in another
session and free memory was down to about 400k before tcsh started acting
like a good shell, reported 'No more processes.' and killed all the little
rabbits. Hmm...

> to rescue yourself under tcsh, login on another terminal and rm -f /bin/foo,
> do a ps, then QUICKLY do a kill for every instance of foo running.
> (fast typing can help a lot) ๐Ÿ˜‰
> Does this happen on your machine? let me know...
> also let me know which shell YOU prefer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Make a guess. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Grrr... I just noticed that I managed to compile tcsh with the wrong
signal list again. 'kill -l' reports a motley collection... ๐Ÿ™

Well, I won't make a new release for this (maybe, when GCC 2.2 is out),
but here's a small patch to be applied against sh.init.c, in case someone
wants to compile tcsh himself.

Mika

*** sh.init.c.orig Fri Jun 5 22:20:53 1992
--- sh.init.c Fri Jun 5 22:24:15 1992
***************
*** 257,263 ****
# undef _sigextra_
# endif /* _sigextra_ */

! #if !defined(IBMAIX) && !defined(cray) && !defined(linux)
/* these are the real svid signals */
/* 16 */ "USR1", "User signal 1",
/* 17 */ "USR2", "User signal 2",
--- 257,263 ----
# undef _sigextra_
# endif /* _sigextra_ */

! #if !defined(IBMAIX) && !defined(cray)
/* these are the real svid signals */
/* 16 */ "USR1", "User signal 1",
/* 17 */ "USR2", "User signal 2",
***************
*** 268,296 ****
/* 18 */ "CHLD", "Child exited",
/* 19 */ "PWR", "Power failure",
# endif /* apollo */
! #endif /* !IBMAIX && !cray && !linux */

- #ifdef linux
- # define _sigextra_
- /* 16 */ 0, "Signal 16",
- /* 17 */ "CHLD", "Child exited",
- /* 18 */ "CONT", "Continued",
- /* 19 */ "STOP", MSG_STOP,
- /* 20 */ "TSTP", MSG_TSTP,
- /* 21 */ "TTIN", MSG_TTIN,
- /* 22 */ "TTOU", MSG_TTOU,
- /* 23 */ 0, "Signal 23",
- /* 24 */ 0, "Signal 24",
- /* 25 */ 0, "Signal 25",
- /* 26 */ 0, "Signal 26",
- /* 27 */ 0, "Signal 27",
- /* 28 */ "WINCH", "Window changed",
- /* 29 */ 0, "Signal 29",
- /* 30 */ 0, "Signal 30",
- /* 31 */ 0, "Signal 31",
- /* 32 */ 0, "Signal 32",
- #endif /* linux */
-
# ifdef cray
# define _sigextra_
/* 16 */ "IO", "Input/output possible signal",
--- 268,275 ----
/* 18 */ "CHLD", "Child exited",
/* 19 */ "PWR", "Power failure",
# endif /* apollo */
! #endif /* !IBMAIX && !cray */

# ifdef cray
# define _sigextra_
/* 16 */ "IO", "Input/output possible signal",
***************
*** 701,706 ****
--- 680,705 ----
# undef _sigextra_
# endif /* _sigextra_ */

+ #ifdef linux
+ # define _sigextra_
+ /* 16 */ 0, "Signal 16",
+ /* 17 */ "CHLD", "Child exited",
+ /* 18 */ "CONT", "Continued",
+ /* 19 */ "STOP", MSG_STOP,
+ /* 20 */ "TSTP", MSG_TSTP,
+ /* 21 */ "TTIN", MSG_TTIN,
+ /* 22 */ "TTOU", MSG_TTOU,
+ /* 23 */ 0, "Signal 23",
+ /* 24 */ 0, "Signal 24",
+ /* 25 */ 0, "Signal 25",
+ /* 26 */ 0, "Signal 26",
+ /* 27 */ 0, "Signal 27",
+ /* 28 */ "WINCH", "Window changed",
+ /* 29 */ 0, "Signal 29",
+ /* 30 */ 0, "Signal 30",
+ /* 31 */ 0, "Signal 31",
+ /* 32 */ 0, "Signal 32",
+ #else /* linux */
/* 16 */ "URG", "Urgent condition on IO channel",
/* 17 */ "STOP", MSG_STOP,
/* 18 */ "TSTP", MSG_TSTP,
***************
*** 713,718 ****
--- 712,718 ----
/* 25 */ "XFSZ", "Filesize limit exceeded",
/* 26 */ "VTALRM", "Virtual time alarm",
/* 27 */ "PROF", "Profiling time alarm",
+ #endif /* linux */

# if defined(RENO) || defined(BSD4_4)
# define _sigextra_
--
Mika Liljeberg Email: [email protected]
Helsinki University [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: Linux and OS/2's Boot Manager
Date: 5 Jun 92 20:52:01 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Notes Person)

Hello all,
I remember a while back, that somebody was running Linux being started
with the OS/2's Boot Manager.
I would like that person to mail me some detail information if
possible, on his setup. I am specially insterested on types of drives and
spaces allocated to operating system(s).
Thanks in advance.
Edwin

[email protected]
^
That's a zero.

[next article]

From: [email protected] (DEATH = ADDER)

Date: 5 Jun 92 21:50:37 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Net Noise owner)

Hi, I guess there's much more interest than I had assumed; therefore, I've
decided to post rather than getting tons of email:)... I've already received
a bunch. Anyway, here's the combined experience of a few people who replied
to my original posting and my own.

************************** YOUR BASIC LINUX SYSTEM, cheap ********************

I first used LINUX a few months ago (2/92 or 3/92) when it was at v.95c. I was
very satisfied with it and introduced it to tons of my friends. I even helped
some Amiga people switch to PC so that they could run LINUX. Anyway, here's
what I recommand for LINUX if you plan to do some software development w/o
X... (assuming that you don't what to spend too much money of course)

386/40 (prices are really low now), 387 (I'd go for an used 25MHz part
for about $100), 8MB RAM, 40 MB HD space, gray-scale monitor (VGA).
Estimated price: CASE $55, Mother board w/ CPU $220, 387/25 (used) $100,
8MB RAM $240, gray-scale VGA monitor w/ card $150, keyboard $30, floppy disk
$50, misc. IO cards $20 (IDE/multi IO) --- TOTAL: $815
The price doesn't include the HD since you're most likely to buy an
HD > 40MB and partition it.

The above is from my own experience (actually it was the system I had before
I sold it). I've used a LINUX system w/ 10MB HD and 4MB RAM on a 386/25DX
with color SVGA. Here's what I've found out: 1) He never used the color
capabilities of his color SVGA, 2) when he ran LINUX in SVGA mode, the
characters are too small (on his 14: monitor), 3) With 10MB HD space, he
was running out of room constantly and he doesn't have gcc or anything fancy
on it (all he had were some text editors). 4) He got sick of it and deleted
the LINUX partition.

Also, I have another friend who gave LINUX 100MB in 2 partitions and ran it
on a 486/33DX system with all the goodies. He never even came close in filling
50 or 60MB of his HD space, and he was purposely trying to waste space too:).
He basically wanted LINUX for his own MUD (I don't play that game, so I'm
not even sure if that's the way to spell it).

I was very satisfied with my 40MB space (don't ecpect to have all your favorite
editors on the disk and all the source codes, but really, there's no need
for such if you think about it. I mean, people usually use only 1 editor
anyway). I had gcc, yacc, lex, vi, and kermit.

******************** LINUX with X WINDOWS, not so cheap **********************
Hi, Here's where I needed help and have received it through emails from
3 people: Ben Cox (I think I remember that guy from some where, maybe),
Mark (never got his last name), and James L. Henrickson. Below is a summary
for what I've learned from all 3 emails:

1) Make sure you get a 1MB ET4000 SVGA video card, the email didn't say which
brand (there are many different companies that make cards based on the
ET4000 chip set, and they aren't all the same). But I'm planning to see if
X would run on my Paradise card before buying an ET4000 based card.

2) Everyone seemed to agree that 8MB RAM is enough for X. However, everyone
thinks 40MB is too little to run X and do some developments. People are also
giving between 10-30 MB of swap space on their HDs.

3) X only uses the SVGA 256 color modes, so your monitor should be capable of
256 colors. Fortunately my gray-scale monitor can display 256 different
shades:) X needs 640*480*256 mode, so you'll need at least 512K on you card.

4) 2 LINUX partitions one 1 disk is NOT as good as on 2 different disks.
People argue that 2 partitions on 2 different disks allow them to be accessed
simutaniously.

5) X works nicely in gray-scale, i.e. you don't miss out a lot except GIF
viewing.

6) People couldn't figure out why the heck I'm going for a 386 and 387 instead
of a 486DX. Well, a 486/33 m/b is about $520 whlie a 386/33 w/ a 387/25 is
about $320, I'm planning to use the extra $200 for more HD space and LATER,
when 486 prices drop, I can always up grade.

COST for an X, LINUX system: supplement your LINUX partition with
either more space from the same HD or with space from another one) $???,
change the VGA card from above to a SVGA w/ 512k $20 (I'm not sure if you
really need a ET4000 1MB card, but if so, it'll be $100-$30 (the original
VGA card) = $70, and everything stays the same.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Per M. Bothner)

Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 22:07:30 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected]
(Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
>Linux fsck is a quick hack, and not a very good program. I had hoped
>somebody would expand it to do all the things a real fsck should do,

There is a fairly good fsck out there. All that is needed is for
someone to port the Berkeley Fast File System to Linux ...

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Per M. Bothner)

Subject: Timezone woes
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 22:37:34 GMT

I was having a lot of problems with make re-doing things, and
sometimes getting into infinite loops (because it kept
re-making Makefile).

I finally figured out the problem was due to lack of timezone
information in Linux:

I edit file Makefile.in at 10:00 local time on machine X, which
knows about timeszone, and stores the modification time as 18:00
Universal Time. I move the file over to Linux (using tar and
floppies). Linux thinks the modification time is 18:00, without
distinguishing local and universal time. I try to make the
application: At 10:10 I build Makefile using Makefile.in. Now
GNU make notices that Makefile (mod time 10:10) is out of date
with respect to Makefile.in (mod time 18:00). Make re-builds
Makefile, and re-execs itself. Now GNU make notices that Makefile
(mod time 10:10:10) is out of date with respect to Makefile.in
(mod time 18:00)... This continues for 8 hours ...

Is there a solution, short of using universal time on my
Linux box (or always waiting 8 hours before I do a make)?

[next article]
From: [email protected] (John Graves)

Subject: Linux in Ext. Partitions...
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 92 22:00:30 GMT

Newsgroups: commp.os.linux
Subject: FYI - DRDOS SSTOR and LINUX and Ext. Partitions
For those thinking about installing Linux...

I have a 386-40 with a 130 meg HD.8meg etc... I had the disk partitioned
10meg C: for COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC etc and Windows 3.1 Temp file and
a 120 meg D: that uses DRDOS SSTOR compression. So... When I wanted to install
Linux, I wanted a 10 meg C:, 80 meg D:, and 40 meg Linux... All the inst. stuff
tells about 2 part. but not 3...

I saved everthing... ๐Ÿ™‚

Then... I used DOS fdisk to make a 10meg primary and a 120 meg ext. partition.
I then split the ext. part. to a 80 meg D: and 40 meg E:

I booted up Linux and ran fdisk. It shoes hda3 as 10meg... hda4 as 120 meg
with a big (don't use) after it. Then a hda5 as 80 meg and hda6 as 40 meg...
hmmm... hda6 also said "don't use"....

I used it anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰

I did mkfs /dev/hda6 and continued with the install. (no problems)
I made a boot disk using "06 03" at ?? offset.

Everything works fine... I installed GCC and X.. No problems...

I guess I'm helping with the "Testing" ๐Ÿ™‚ I saw somewhere that Linux could
use ext. part. but it was untested... Well... It works for me...

LINUX is Great!!!

-John

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Brendan B. Boerner)

Subject: Re: another permissions problem. THANKS!
Sender: [email protected] (The Netnews Manager)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 23:36:51 GMT

(Michael O'Reilly) writes:
>GRIN. You might want to do something like
>'chown root /bin/login' and
>'chown root /bin/su' and
>'chown root /bin/passwd'. Haveing these owned by bin and suid, is very
>troublesome when trying to log in other users... ๐Ÿ˜‰
>
>These programs should be set euid root.

Thanks to Michael and Oren Kastner for
this info. This was my problem.

Brendan

[next article]
From: [email protected] (H. Peter Anvin N9ITP)

Subject: Re: Linux in Ext. Partitions...
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet on news.acns)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 00:01:56 GMT

This is also a success story regarding using Linux with extended
partitions. My set up is:

/dev/hda1 = OS/2 Boot Manager 1 Mb
/dev/hda2 = DOS 5.0 C: 128 Mb
/dev/hda3 = Linux filesystem 64 Mb
/dev/hda4 [extended]
/dev/hda5 = DOS 5.0 D: 90 Mb
/dev/hda6 = OS/2 2.0 HPFD 194 Mb
/dev/hda7 = Linux swap 20 Mb

Before I installed OS/2 2.0 I had to change my /dev/hda3 around, and backed
it up to /dev/hda6. Both as a filesystem and swap, as well as using
mtools, I have had no problems using extended partitions with Linux.

/hpa

--
INTERNET: [email protected] TALK: [email protected]
BITNET: [email protected] HAM RADIO: N9ITP, SM4TKN
IRC: Scalar NeXTMAIL: [email protected]
Seeg?? I don't need no goddamn seeg!

[next article]
From: [email protected] (A. V. Le Blanc)

Date: 5 Jun 92 07:25:27 GMT

) writes:

>Finally, fsck -r /dev/sd11 returns:
>/root: bad directory: '.' isn't first
>/root: bad directory: '..' isn't second
>
>But, the next time fsck is run, it happens again.

This is because fsck cannot actually deal with 'bad directories'
(except for giving a bad directory error message). I would like it
to be able to convert the bad directory to a file as an option; this
sould allow you to save links to any files which it contained, then
convert it to an ordinary file, which could be deleted. I tried to
change fsck to do this, but didn't know enough to succeed in the
limited time available. Contributions (of working code) would be
most welcome!

-- Owen
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Robert J. McNamara)

Subject: Re: Mouseman on serial port
Date: 6 Jun 1992 00:31:29 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Paul Fink) writes
:
->
->Anyone tried logitech mouseman on a serial port?
->It seemd messed up. It jumps around on the screen and
->moving it cuases the twm menu to appear.
->
->I thought the mouseman was the same a logitech mouse, in fact it works
->on the X terminal at work.

Works fine for me. I just put a
stty -istrip > /dev/ttys1
near the end of my xinit file, and make sure you have
Logitech "/dev/ttys1"
in your Xconfig file. (assuming that your mouse is hooked up to com1 -- tty2
otherwise) If that doesn't work try MouseSystems in place of
Logitech (I've got it working but I don't remember exactly which one I used).
Baudrate in the Xconfig should be 1200, and samplerate should be commented out.

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Rob McNamara | Happy! Happy! | Lankhmar BBS |
| [email protected] | Joy! Joy! | 1-916-757-6391 |
| LBL EE CAD/CAE | | 1200/2400/9600/14.4k HST/v.32bis |
+-=-=-=-=S=t=e=a=l=t=h=-+S=i=g=n=a=t=u=r+e=-=V=i=r=u=s=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

[next article]
From: [email protected] (n.h.chandler)

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 00:33:21 GMT

(Andrew Mendelsohn) writes:
> When attempting to start mgr, I get the following message:
> "can't find the mouse, or it is already in use
> :no such file or directory"
>
> I am using last weeks version og mgr from linuxmgr.tar.Z on

> running in MS mode on COM1 using the Linux 96a kernel and

Please post responses!

Neville Chandler
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (H. Peter Anvin N9ITP)

Subject: Re: Linux and OS/2's Boot Manager
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet on news.acns)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 00:31:01 GMT

I have a 500 Mb Fujitsu IDE drive, and use the OS/2 2.0 boot manager with
Linux.

This is my setup: (approximate partition sizes)
1 Mb /dev/hda1 Boot Manager
120 Mb /dev/hda2 DOS C:
64 Mb /dev/hda3 Linux file system
/dev/hda4
90 Mb /dev/hda5 DOS D:
194 Mb /dev/hda6 OS/2 HPFS E:
20 Mb /dev/hda7 Linux swap

I used the OS/2 FDISK to set up all partitions except /dev/hda3. I created
/dev/hda3 using EDPART under DOS. I then used a self-hacked program to set
the partition types of /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda7; although net exactly
necessary it keeps DOS from seeing an E: drive and OS/2 an F: drive that
really isn't there.

Then I booted Linux, and installed
Shoelace on the Linux partition. Note that the Shoelace instructions tell
you to run laceup twice, once for the Linux partition (laceup /dev/hda3
wini) and once for the master boot record. DO NOT perform the second step.
Now run OS/2 FDISK again, and put the main DOS, OS/2 and Linux partitions in
the Boot Manager menu. It worked very well for me.

Included is the DOS program APART.COM; it will list the partition table on
any cylinder, and optionally change the type of an entry.

APART = Look at master partition table (cyl 0)
APART = Look at partition table on cylinder
APART = Set entry # on cyl to
(entry = 0,1,2 or 3, type = hex)

For my disk:

C>APART
A 0A OPUS 861 0 1 863 15 63 3024
06 DOS 4.0+, FAT16, over 32M 0 1 1 243 15 63 245889
9F Unknown 864 0 1 993 15 63 131040
05 Extended partition 244 0 1 860 15 63 621936
^^^
Cyl# of next entry

C>APART 244
A 06 DOS 4.0+, FAT16, over 32M 244 1 1 426 15 63 184401
05 Extended partition 427 0 1 819 15 63 396144
00 Unknown 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
00 Unknown 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

C>APART 427
A 07 OS/2 HPFS, QNX, Adv. UNIX 427 1 1 819 15 63 396081
05 Extended partition 820 0 1 860 15 63 41328
00 Unknown 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
00 Unknown 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

C>APART 820
A 05 DOS 3.0+, FAT16, < 32M 820 1 1 860 15 63 41265
00 Unknown 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
00 Unknown 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
00 Unknown 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

In order to set the partition types, now:

APART 0 2 81 = 81 for Linux filesystem
APART 820 0 82 = 82 for Linux swap

NOTE: 1. Do this is native DOS
2. Turn off your disk cache if you have one
3. Reboot immediately afterwards

Here is the program...

begin 400 apart.com
MC,HNB18- [[email protected]( BQXL ([:HQ$2*)+BTBZ!8!Q#X/(HO'
MB]BY_W_\\J[C84,F. 5U]H#[email protected]/?9B0X/(KD! -/[email protected]\,(@^/XB1X3(HS:*^J+
M/[email protected]?\ G,'OP "B3Y.*H'')CUR* ,^1BIR(K$$T^]'.^]R&8,^3BH = >#
M/D8J '4.OP 0.^]W!XO]ZP/I70&+WP/:B1XE(HD>*2*A%2(KV([ M$I7S2%?
MT^?ZCM*+Y_LSP"[email protected]#O^(KN28]*\_\\ZJT ,T:B18;(HD.'2(S[;Z0(;^<
M(>C( "Z.'@T#+L8&OP)[email protected]( _S8-(O\V"[email protected]%[email protected]!KZ<(;^<
M(>B; "Z.'@T#_Q;8*/\6VBC_%MPH+HX>#0/H50"+[+1,BD8"S2&Y#@"ZS2'I
MP0 >N US2&)'ODAC ;[(;@$- 2*,[email protected],BN 8U
MS2&)'@4BC 8'([email protected] )8S*CMJZ- +-(1_#'[email protected] )<46^2'-(1\>N 0EQ1;](M'QZX!27%%@$BS2$?'[email protected]&)<46!2+-(1_#M/^+UXO>.]]T%( __W0*.&M9P&+TX/#!NOH.]=T((O:'@<[email protected]#\ [email protected]?_+HX>#0-T!R;_7P(?Z\4F_U<"'^N^
MP[1 NP( S2'#N1X NMLA+HX>#0/HZO^X P!0Z!;_ %6+[%:[email protected]+QB4_
M (M>!HD'B\8EP #1X-'@B]:[email protected]#[email protected]/"BUX(B0=>7<-5B^[email protected]_P"Q
M"-/@4(M&!%H#PHM6!H'B /1^M'Z \)=PU6+[('[email protected]^!H-^! %^"?]U
M NC0"UGK C/ B4;TC8;T]U"X 0!0_W;T,\!0N( 4.C1 8/$"KA" %"A\B4M
[email protected]"-EO3W \)0C8:R]U#[email protected]#Q :!OO+W5:[email protected]@)5#H2P99N $ 4.A?!%DS
M]NF_ (V&HO<64(O&L033X(V6LO<#PAY0N1 [email protected];^ #K%XM&_KH* /?J
MB]B*AS B.H:F]W04_T;^BT;^[email protected] ]^J+V("_,"( ==B-1OI0C4;\4/^VI/?H
MY?Z#Q :-1O90C4;X4/^VJ/?HT_Z#Q ;_MK#W_[:N]_]V^(J&I_>T %#_=O;_
M=OR*AJ/WM !0_W;ZBT;^[email protected] ]^J+V/^W,B**AJ;WM [email protected]+ZB]P!T!;A! .L#
MN" [email protected])5#[email protected]@6#[email protected]_X$?0/I.?^#[email protected]#?P/IIP#_=03HH I9B_"-1OY0
MN&PE4/][email protected]"8/[email protected]? 6#[email protected]^$+AO)5#H0P59N $ 4.A7 UF#?OX ? >!
M?O[_ 'X0N)[email protected]!5FX 0!0Z#H#68O>L033XXV&MO<#V([email protected]'_W;^_W;T
M5KB_)5#[email protected]#Q [email protected]!0C8:R]U"A\[email protected]"-EO3W \)0Z)<,@\0&C8;T]U"X
M 0!0_W;T,\!0N( 4.B< (/$"C/ 7UZ+Y5W#58OL,\!04%!04/]V!%#[email protected]#
MQ Y=PU6+[%:A]"6Q"]/@!>[email protected]! %#[email protected][email protected][email protected];[email protected] @!0Z#<*@\0.

MB_"#[email protected][email protected]! "L&]"6C]"6Q"]/@!>[email protected]! %#[email protected][email protected][email protected];[email protected] @!0
MZ 0*@\0.B_#_-O(EH?0EL0O3X 7D+%#[email protected]@N#Q :+QEY=PU6+[%;_-O(E
M_W8,H?0EL0O3X 7D+%#HR0N#Q :A]"6Q"]/@!>[email protected]! %#[email protected][email protected][email protected];_
[email protected] P!0Z*0)@\0.B_"#[email protected]@! "L&]"6C]"7_-O(E_W8,L0O3X 7D+%#H
[email protected]#Q :A]"6Q"]/@!>[email protected]! %#[email protected][email protected][email protected];[email protected] P!0Z%D)@\0.B_"+
MQEY=PU6+[%97BW8$B_ZY!0"[] M*@&X&2;I) &X-B;I'@&X0R;I& &+WH'C'P"#^Q%V ^E_ -'C+O^GT ?'!N(L
M6R;K=L<&XBQ<)NMNQP;B+'4FZV;'!N(LC";K7L<&XBRA)NM6QP;B++(FZT['
M!N(LOR;K1L<&XBS,)NL^QP;B+.PFZS;'!N(L^";K+L<&XBPI)^LFQP;B+#TG
MZQ['!N(L4"?K%L<&XBQB)^L.QP;B+&XGZP;'!N(LD"?_-N(LN.([email protected]+$5E9
M]\[email protected] '[email protected]#[B*P!T#;B>)U"[email protected]=0N.(K4.BK$%E9]\9 '0A
[email protected]#[B*P!T#;BT)U"XXBM0Z)$065FXMR=0N.(K4.B$$%E9]\: '[email protected]#[B*P!T
M#;C$)U"XXBM0Z&H065FXQR=0N.(K4.A=$%E9N.(K7UY=P\D&T0;9!N$&Z0;Q
M!OD& 0<)!Q$'&0[email protected][4)R!U!;@! .L3BQ[4)]'CBT8$B8?D//\&U"M)]'C_Y?D/*'4)_\.U"<+P'7K_W8$Z+SY65W#58OL5E>[email protected]+]G4%Z', ZVLY
M= YT!;C__^[email protected] ?"GW1 (( '4*B\8%!0 Y1 IU%L<$ "[email protected]% #E$"G4(
MBT0(B40*ZS7K,[email protected],$0(OXBP0KQXD$5XM$"(E$"E"*1 284.A_!8/$!CO'
M= [W1 ( G4'@4P"$ #KFC/ 7UY=PU6+[$Q,5E?'1OX +\4 +[>*.L2]T0"
M P!T"%;H7_]9_T;^@\80B\=/"\!UYXM&_E]>B^5=PU6+[%[email protected]\ ?0B+
M1P8#!T#K"HM>!(L'F3/"*\*+\(O(BUX$]T<"0 !T NLOBUX$BW\*@S\ ?1WK
M"4^+WX _"[email protected] =?#K$(O?1X _"[email protected] =?"+P5]>7<(" %6+
M[%:[email protected]?^60O = 6X___K2H-^"@%U$(,\ '[email protected]@B!9 )?
M_L<$ "+1 B)1 [email protected][email protected][email protected]:*1 [email protected]!!X/$"(/Z_W4*/?__=06X___K
M C/ 7EW#[email protected]^P$5HMV!(I$!)A0Z#P$68E&_(E6_H,\ '[email protected]_YD!1OP1
M5O[K"U;H"?^9*4;\&5;^BU;^BT;\7HOE7<-5B^RX4PM0N.XH4/]V!(U&!E#H
MM_WTWBP1 B02+7 K_1 [email protected])#V(!_=$ @@ =!V /B0]"G0'@#XD/0UU#U;HT_U9
M"\!T!KC__^FT .FL /=$ I =0?W1 (" '4'@4P"$ #KXH%, @ [email protected]& '1$
[email protected] = M6Z)S]60O = +KQXM$!O?8B02+7 K_1 [email protected])#V(!_=$ @@ =!F /B0]
M"G0'@#XD/0UU"U;H:OU9"\!T NN5ZTB /B0]"G4?]T0"0 [email protected]! %"X2"I0
MBD0$F%#H4Q*#Q 8] [email protected]! %"X)#U0BD0$F%#H.Q*#Q 8] 0!T"O=$ @ "
M=0/I8O^@)#VT %Y=PU6+[%:[email protected][BA05NCT_EE97EW#58OL3$Q65XM^!HMV
M!(E^_O=$ @@ =";K&E:[email protected][email protected]*!YA0Z,C^65D]__]U!3/ Z?< B\=/"\!U
MW^GJ /=$ D =0/[email protected]"#? 8 =&4Y? 9S*(,\ '0+5NBB_%D+P'0"Z\Q7_W8(
MBD0$F%#HGQ&#Q 8[QW,"Z[?IK0"+! /'?!J#/ !U"KC__RM$!HD$ZPM6Z&K\
M60O = +KE%[email protected]_= KHSP6#Q :+! /'B00!? [email protected]*1 284.A/$8/$
M!CO'

LVBP1 B00+P'T6BUP*_T0*4XM>"/]&"(H'[email protected]'
MM #K#U:[email protected][email protected]*!U#HU_U963W__W4#Z2;_B\=/"\!UP^L65_]V"(I$!)A0
MZ,[email protected]\0&.\=S ^D'_XM&_E]>B^[email protected] H.(HF%#H' 19"\!U!H$FX"C__;@
M E#W!N H )T!;@! .L",\!0,\[email protected] (/$"*#R*)[email protected]#60O =0:!
M)O H__VX )0]P;P* "= 6X @#K C/ 4#/ 4+CN*%#H! "#Q C#58OL5E>+
[email protected][email protected]= YU#(-^" )_!H'__W]V!KC__^FF (,^3"H =0Z!_NXH=0C'!DPJ
M 0#K$X,^2BH =0R!_MXH=0;'!DHJ 0"#/ !T$;@! % SP#/24%)6Z"/\@\0(
M]T0"! !T!_]T".B5$%F!9 +S_\[email protected] B\8%!0")1 B)1 J#[email protected]@"=#T+_W8Y
MQP;8*"D/@WX& '465^@T$5F)[email protected]+P'0'@4P"! #K ^EM_XM&!HE$"HE$"(E\
M!H-^" %U!8%, @@ ,\!?7EW#58OL5HM>!(LW_P>*!(K0"L!U!;C__^L$BL*T
M %Y=PU6+[(M>!O\/7<-5B^[email protected]_W8&C48$4+C9#5"[email protected]#@\0*7<-5
MB^[email protected][email protected]:[email protected]+BZ#5#[email protected]#Q I=PU6+[[email protected]! % SP#/24%[email protected]
MB0*#Q A=PU6+[('[email protected]!65XM&"$ ] @!S!3/ Z=8 BUX$T>/WAQXJ (!T$O]V
M"/]V!O]V!.CZ#H/$!NFW (M>!-'[email protected]:<>*O_]BT8&B4;XBT8(B4;\ZU?_3OR+
M7OC_1OB*!XA&^SP*=03&! U&BD;[B 1&C89V_XO6*]"!^H ?#.+UBO0B_I7
M4/]V!.BC#H/$!HE&_CO'=!6#?OX M?OP =9V-AG;_B]8KT(OZB\(+P'8H5XV&=O]0_W8$Z%[email protected]\0&B4;^.\=T$H-^
[email protected]!S NNWBT8( T;^*\?K XM&"%]>B^5=PU97OP0 OMXHZQ#W1 (# '0%[email protected]
M^5E/@\80"_]U[%]>PU6+[%9758MV!/PKP)FY"@"W +_7)XH<1O8! 77XO0
[email protected]/LK= : ^RUU!$6*'$: ^SEW+H#K,'(I]^$#PQ+6=.OK$HOZN0H ]^&7A]'W
MXI*7 \,3T8H<1H#[.7<%@.LP<^%-? [email protected]]H 75]>7<-5B^[email protected]_]9
M7<-5B^P>!XIF!(I&#HM>$(M."M'IT>F X< "[email protected]*;@J*[email protected]*[email protected];-$X!^! AU
M!8D/B5<"BL2T %W#58OLBT8$B][email protected] ".\)S!Z,A(C/ ZPG'!ADB" "X__]=
MPU6+[(M&!([email protected],&(2*#[email protected]"+R O2=1"!P0 "<@H[S',&AP8A(NL)QP89(@@
MN/__7<-5B^[email protected]/]97<-5B^[email protected]#HM_]965W#58OL5HMV! OV?!6#
M_EA^ [Y7 (DV4"J*A%(JF(OPZQ&+QO?8B_"#_B-_Y<<&4"K__XDV&2*X__]>
M7<(" %6+[[email protected] 1(M>!,TADB6 %W#58OLBUX$T>.!IQXJ__VT0HI&"HM>!(M.
M"(M6!LTA<@+K!5#HC/^97<-5B^R#[")65P:[email protected]>!XM>"(/[)'[email protected]/L"[email protected][email protected][email protected]'X& '[email protected]_?9]]B#V0"-=M[C#Y$KTO?SD??SB!1&XPGK
M\2O2]_.(%$8+P'7UC4[>]]D#[email protected]"G,$!#KK P)&!*KB[[ [email protected]>[email protected]?
M7HOE7<(, %6+[(-^" IU!HM&!)GK!8M&!#/24E#[email protected];[email protected] 5"P85#H7O]=
MPU6+[/]V!O]V!/]V"/]V"K 4+!A4.A$_UW#58OL_W8&_W8$_W8(_W8*@WX*
M"G4%N $ ZP(SP%"P85#H'_]=PU6+[%97C-B.P(M^!(MV!HM."-'I_/.EMBT8$7UY=PU6+[(/L*E97QT;\ #'1OH .L9BWX,]D;_('0'Q#V#[email protected]$PXL]
M'@>#[email protected]"PP;\BW8*K K =%T\)71#* O:PJ
M 74KDPK;>!B OZPJ 741_T;Z_W8(_U8$60O ?^;I30/[email protected]_U8&65G_3OKK
ML3O'=*[email protected]_U8&65G_3OKI0 /I/0/'1O;__\9&_P"LF(EV"I<+_WP9BIVL
M*[email protected][email protected]/I" /1XR[_ITX6E^EX_^D. X!._P'KU(/O,(=^]@O_?,JX"@#W
MYP%&]NO @$[_"[email protected]$[[email protected]$[_ [email protected]&;_W^[email protected]$[_(.NBBT;Z*]+V1O\!
M=$_KE;X( .L,[email protected] ZP>^$ #K C/V]\<@ '4(BD;_# 2(1O^-1OA0C4;Z4(M&
M]B7_?U!6_W8(_W8&_W8$Z'@#@\[email protected][X 'X8]D;_ 74/_T;\Z+G^J_9&_P1T
M I*KZM.G05"\!^#/]V"%#[email protected]?].^EJ,V^L;Z Z54"6PO ?A!24_]V"%#[email protected]
M6?].^EM:]D;_ 740Z$K^_T;\DJOV1O\@= *3J^E5_NGC 8U&^%"-1OI0N/]_
M(T;V4/]V"/]V!O]V!.B,#(/$#(-^^ !^.(I&_YBI 0!U*>@'_O]&_/9&_P1T
M!;@$ .L-]D;_"'0%N @ ZP(SP%!7Z%L,@\0$Z?S]Z%8,Z?;]Z% ,?)SIDP'H
M #IE 'V1O\!=0;HQ/W_1OR!9O;_?W0I]D;_ 74!JO]&^@;[email protected][email protected]!PO
M?A(*P'@)DX"_K"H!DWX%_T[V?]<&_W8(4/]6!EE9!_].^O9&_P%U [ JNF2
M_?9&_P%U ^AN_8MV]@OV?0.^ 0!T&O]&^@;[email protected][email protected]!PO ?!;V1O\!=0&J
M3G_F]D;_ 74#_T;\Z5?]Z>4 *\#\%@>-?M:Y$ #SJZR 9O_O/%YU!8!._Q"L
MM "*T(OXL0/3[[D' 2+*TN4(:]:L/ !T)CQ=="4\+77A.A1WW8 \7738K"K"
M=.4"T-#%@]< "&O6_LAU].O5Z9P B78*@6;V_W^+=O;V1O\!=0/HR/Q.?%#_
M1OH&_W8(_U8$60<+P'Q/EHO>L0/3[KD' 2++TN6$:M:6DW0(]D;_$'0(ZP_V
M1O\0= GV1O\!=<2JZ\$&_W8(4/]6!EE9!_].^D8[=O9]"?9&_P%U!O]&_+
MJNF!_$8[=O9]#/9&_P%U!K JO]&_/]V"+C__U#[email protected]^_ OP !XM&
M_.F& /]&^O]V"/]6!%D+P'X3"L!X"9. OZPJ 9-TY5F#P0/_X73X6>N_*]*Y
M! #_3O9\15)1_T;Z_W8(_U8$65E:"\!^-?[)?#&*Z(#M,'([email protected]/T* [1%R
M((#]!G(*@[email protected]+1XM'B M7KMBO @/D$= [email protected]\$#_^%9
MZ5__7UZ+Y5W#NQ6[%;L5IA*M$K,2A!3W$O<2 1/$$\<2TQ+-$O(2*!3"%.42
M_!)6$]D2WQ)[email protected] ^PEV"SK9M .L"6_G#[email protected]^P&5E?&1O\ QT;\ #'1OH! /]&_/]V"/]6!%D+P'QHF)/V
MPX!U"+_7)_8! 77CD_].#'Q:/"MT!SPM=1;^[email protected]\2O]&_/]V"/]6!%D+
MP'PU*_:+_HM."[email protected]_DD=RZ ^0)R*3PP=6N ^1!U9/].#'PR_T;\_W8(_U8$
M63QX=%$\6'1-ZW/'1OK__^L%QT;Z #[email protected]_U8&65G_3OPKP)GIIP#IE \
M,,=&"@H =2/[email protected]\[_]&_/]V"/]6!%G'[email protected]( #QX= 0\6'4MQT8*$ #K%XM.
M"I/H]?Z3MW>LJEO?AEX?*]^(#]Q/[email protected]\(/]&_/]V"/]6!%[email protected]*/^DW/6
M_W8(4/]6!EE9_T[\B]>[email protected]'[_ '0']]KWV(/: (M^#HM>_ $=BWX0BU[ZB1WK
M%KC__[K_?P)&_X#4 (/2 ,=&^@( Z]A?7HOE7<-5B^[email protected]>!XO7,L"Y
M___RKHUU_XM^!KG___*N]]$K^8?W]\8! '0"I$G1Z?.E7<-5B^Q6
M5XS8CL#\BWX&B_7<.*[email protected]" (K"U!"[email protected]"
M (;@!) G%$ GJL-5B^R![)8 5E?'1NX ,=&[% QT;J #K1E>Y__\RP/*N
M]]%)7\,VB 5'_D[L=2]345(&C89J_ROXC89J_U!7_W8(_U8*"\!U!<[email protected]$
MQT;L4 !?NZ-OFK_!UI96\,&_(V^:O^)[email protected]:L"L!T$CPE=!$VB 5'
M_D[L?^[HK/_KZ>GN XEV\*P\)73GB7[\,\F)3O*)3OZ(3O7'1OC__\=&]O__
MZP&L,N2+T([email protected]@@/[email protected]M3OX!Z]" _0!W[[email protected]+KQ8#] '[email protected]'[U*W0#B%;UZ[6#9O[?ZP2#[email protected]
MIX#] '=-]T;^ @!U*[email protected] >N3Z4P#BWX$-HL%@T8$ H#] G,2"\!Y!O?8
[email protected][^ HE&^+4#[email protected]/T$==>)1O;^Q>EB_X#]!'/*M03_1O;I5?^2+#"[email protected]/T"
M=QFU H=&^ O ?-'1X(O0T>#1X /" 4;XZ3/[email protected]/T$=9N'1O8+P'2UT>"+T-'@
MT> #[email protected]%&]ND7_X-._A#I9?^!3OX 8-F_N_I6?^W".L*MPKK"K<0L^D"VL9&
M]0"(5OLSTHA6^HM^!#:+!>L0MPK&1OH!B%;[BWX$-HL%F4='B78&]T;^$ !T
M!3:+%4='B7X$C7Z["\!U+PO2=2N#?O8 =2F+?OR+3OCC&H/Y_W05BT;^)[email protected]
M= 2R,.L"LB"*[email protected])_N+YZ4G^@T[^!%)05XK'F%"*1OI04^@4]A8'BU;V"])_
M ^GQ .G\ (A6^XEV!HU^NHM>!#;_-T-#B5X$]T;^( !T$#:+%T-#B5X$%@?H
M>_VP.JH6!UKHMB%;[BWX$-HL%@T8$ A8'C7Z[,N0VB06Y 0#IN0")[email protected]:([email protected]@ '4-
M-HL]@T8$ AX'"__K"S;$/8-&! 2,P O'=04>![^,">@S_3M.]G8#BT[VZWV)
[email protected]:([email protected]+3O8+R7T#N08 [email protected]! "-&_E"+1OZI %T";@( (-&
M! KK!X-&! [email protected]!0Z* $%@>-?KOW1OX( '08BU;X"])^$>C6_": /2UU 4DK
MT7X#B5;RBD;U"L!T$B: /2UT#(-N\@O( 3R:(!>BL_(OWBW[\BU[XN 4
M(T;^/04 =1.*9ON _&]U#8-^\@!_!<=&\@$ ZQN _'AT!8#\6'[email protected][^0$M+
[email protected][R GT%QT;R #3O+W1OX" '4,ZP:P(.AE_$L[V7_V]T;^0 !T"[ PZ%3\
MBD;[Z$[\BU;R"])^)RO**][email protected]\+70(/"!T!#PK=0MZ"3\XOF'RN,2*]DFK#:(!4?^3NQ_ ^@7_.+P"]M^"8O+L"#H ?SB^>E!_(EV
M!HM^!/=&_B =0LVBSV#[email protected]"'@?K!S;$/8-&! 2X4 J1NP#1NXFB07W1OX0
M '0'1TMN/__ZP.+1NY?7HOE7<(( '\9:1FT&709XAGO&2T:-!HY&IT98AI &D0:2!K>
M&HH;+AM.&\0< !T '0 =CQF5&56+[(M>!-'C]X<>*@ (=!.X @!0,\ STE!2
M_W8$Z#[email protected]\0(M$"[email protected][email protected][email protected];-(7(/4(M>!-'[email protected]\>*@ 06.L$4.C'\EW#
MNI0KZP.ZF2NY!0"T0+L" ,TAN2< NIXKM$#-(>DRY0<.!E6+[%97'L5V!L1^
M"OS1Z?.E$\GSI!]?7EW*" %97B_2+7 :#ZP1R#CL>R"MT
M!>A" .L#Z , 7U[#.1[&*W0CBW<"]@0!= :)[email protected] [-L8K= V+WNA4 (M'
M J/(*^L-B]XSP*/&*Z/(*Z/**U/HN/%;P_\/.Q[&*W08BW<"BP2H 74/ P>)
M!(L_ _N)=0*+WNL#Z#( BS\#^XL%J %T <,!!XOW _")7 *+WXM_!CO?= Z)
M/LHKBW<$B74$B7P&P\<&RBL ,.+-LHK"_9T$(M\!HEM'LHKB5\$B5\&PU97B_2+1 8+P'12!04 M'LHK"]MT#8O3.0=S&HM?!CO:[email protected]#K(>B* .LM-W/IZ&O__P>+PP4$ %]>PU SP%!0Z/CP6ULE 0!T"3/24E#HZO!;6UA0,]M3
M4.C?\%M;/?__=!2+V(D>QBN)'[email protected]$")!X/#!(O#PULSP,-0,]M34.BX\%M;
M/?__=!:+V*'(*XE' HD>R"M80(D'@\,$B\/#6#/ PRD'B_,#-XO^ _A B02)
M7 *)=0*#[email protected]+QL.+[%-045#H%?];B]@+P'0?'@?\B_B+=OZ+#(/&!%:#Z071
MZ?.EB4;^Z"3^6XM>_H/$!L.+PH/""#O1=S6+T3L>R"MU#XD'_P<#PU-0Z WP
M6UOK'HO[ _B)70(KT"D7B_<#\HE\ D*)%8O+B]_H-_Z+V8/#!,-65U6+[(M>
M"(M&"@O =#<[email protected]^L$BP])B]"#[email protected]#XOZ#^@AS [H( #O*<@QW!8/#!.L(
MZ(?_ZP/H3_^+P^L-4.AE_NL&4^B0_3/ 6UU?7L/_)MHK_R;<*_\FWBO_)N K
M "/!M KCP;2*X\&U"LNC!YW((DVUBN)/[email protected]_(X&%2*^@ RY":L0(S%A]:3
MBS8/(D9&N0$ @#X7(@-R$8X&$2*+_K%_,L#[email protected]/%_4(O! \- )?[_B_PK
M^')M= 0\"77H,L#KY O = ="[email protected] =0%#AN RP/GC%:Q)+")T#P0B/%QU!X \(G4"
MK$D+]L/IQ>%9 \HNCAYW((D>S"M# ]N+](OL*^MRYHOEB2[.*^,.B78 @\4"
M-JP*P.#Z=/ SP(E& "Z.'G<@BS;6*XL^V"O_-M0K_S;2*Z',*Z,)(J'.*Z,+
M(O\FT"L H4, $'[email protected] %1UM<'ER:6=H=" Q.3DP($)OMM "8])CT 0(^(V#_ "
M ("3B, $ EDC ( $ !0-R(P 8"A2, " 0 ' I\C
M " &Y(P D"R2, * MPC $ +A(P
M $ "YB, !1 O(C [email protected]+](P &,"%20 !D C(D
M =0(Y) ( "/R0 $ 0"! DLD ! $ @@)G)
M ),"?20 "4 I D MP*E) [email protected]"P20 #; MTD
M \@'U) " ! /\!""4 [email protected] 1$]3(#(N,"LL
M($9!5#$R %A%3DE8(')O;W0 1$]3(#,N,"LL($9!5#$V+"[email protected]@,S)- $5X
M=&5N9&5D('!AM+S(@2%[email protected]+"!!9'8N(%[email protected] 04E8(&9I;[email protected]M;V]T('!AM*0!#4"]-+"!-:6-R;W!O7-6+S,[email protected],[email protected]+VEX+"!-
M86-H+"!(55)$ $YO=F5L; !00R]I> !-:6YI>" M,2XT80!-:6YI>" Q+C1B
[email protected][email protected]@9FEL92!S>7, [email protected]@M82!F:6QE('-YMM $-O;F,N($-0+TTL($,N1$]3+"!#5$]3 $1/4R S+C,K('-E8V]N9&%R>0!"
[email protected]')[email protected]&%B;&4 56YK;F]W;@!";V]T('-I9VYA='5R92!I;G9A;&ED
M"@ E8R @)3 R6" @)2TS,"XS,',@("4T9" E,[email protected])3)D(" [email protected])3)D("4R
M9" @)3=L9 H )[email protected] "D524D]2.B!087)T:71I;[email protected];G5M8F5RM=&\@,PH "D524D]2.B!087)T:71I;[email protected](&9R;[email protected],# @=&\@[email protected]:&5X
M"@ *0VAA;F=I;F<@96YTM>"4P,[email protected]* @ 26YT97)[email protected])R;W( 2&%R9"!D:7-K(&YO="!R96%D
M>0!5;[email protected])R;W(@;[email protected]:&%R9"!D:7-K %-T871UM96YS92!O<&5R871I;[email protected]%I;'5R90 0DE/4R!R97!OM86YD $%D9')EM960 4V5C=&]R(&YO="!F;W5N9 !297-E="!F86EL960 1&ES:R!C:&%N9V5D
M $1IM0V]U;[email protected];F]T(&-O;7!E;[email protected]]R($1-02!A8W)OM87)Y $)A9"!S96-T;W(@9&5T96-T960 0F%D('1R86-K(&1E=&5C=&5D %5N
MM82 H=V%R;FEN9R!O;FQY*0!5;FMN;W=N(&5RM9F%I;'5R90 L( !3965K(&9A:6QUM(" @(" @("$A(2$A(" @(" @(" @(" @(" @(" @ 4! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$!
M0 (" @(" @(" @) 0$! 0$! %!04%!04! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 1
M0$! 0$ [email protected][email protected](" @(" @(" @(" @(" @(" @("$! 0$ @
M + @L""P( ) @
M #>* "@(! [[email protected] (" @ /XH !# @,
M .*0 [email protected]($ 'BD _P "XI
M /\ ^*0 #_ 3BD _P %XI
M /\ !N*0 #_ ?BD _P
M (XI /\ ">*0 #_ KBD _P
M +XI /\ #.*0 #_ WBD _P
M .XI /\ #^*0 #_ #BH!( (@
M B $H *@________________________________________ -
M$ !," @0%[email protected]@("!05!1/_%@41 O________________\%!?__________
M__________\/_R,"_P______$___ @(%#P+___\3__________\C_____R/_
M$_\ (" @(" @(" 0$! 0$" @(" @(" @(" @(" @(" @(! @(" @," @("
M! (" @("!04%!04%!04%!0(" @(" @(" @('"A4*# D" @L"% X" @(" @@"
M A(" A "$ (" @("[email protected]<*"@H,"0("#0(1#A," @\"" ("[email protected](" @(" @(H;G5L
M;"D !04 105%!04% ( % ,$% D%!04%!04%!044%!04%!04%!04% \7#[email protected]
M%!0'%!84%!04%!04%!0-%!04%!04%!04%! *#P\/" H4% [email protected]%!01% P4
M% T4%!04%!04 '!R:6YT('-C86YF(#[email protected];F<@<&]I;[email protected]]R;6%T
end
--
INTERNET: [email protected] TALK: [email protected]
BITNET: [email protected] HAM RADIO: N9ITP, SM4TKN
IRC: Scalar NeXTMAIL: [email protected]
while ( 1 ) ; cp /dev/zero /dev/null & end

From: [email protected] (Chris Maxwell)

Subject: Running SZ/RZ
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 18:05:37 GMT

Ok, I have rz/sz working, I assume. However, I have a little Unix
problem, but I am unsure whether there will be a uniquely Linuxian
solution.
The Problem: RZ wishes to read the current tty for its I/O. I want
it to read ttys2. I have never had this problem before, as I have
always been issuing this command to a remote system. I am trying to
transfer a file between a remote Unix machine also running rz/sz, which
I am talking to over a modem connected to the second serial port.

How does one connect ttys2 to the stdin for rz.

rz < /dev/ttys2 > /dev/ttys2

does not work, as it is able to detect that it is not connected to a real,
interactive, tty, so just stops.

I have tried to use PComm, but it just seems to hang, so I am
uncertain as to whether the problem is in the Zmodem programmes (I can't
get the remote sz to work with the ZMODEM programme in DOS, but others
get it working with different computers, so...) or in the passing
performed by Pcomm. What I would like is to drop out of Kermit to
do the transfer, then come back in after, or somesuch.

Anyway, thanks for any help/suggestions tendered.

--
-Chris Maxwell
[ [email protected] (dalcsug.bitnet) / [email protected] (dalac.bitnet) ]
| My employers might not think as I
"Rise up and throw down your oppressed!" | Do.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Michael Pereckas)

Subject: Re: Calc and Emacs
Sender: [email protected] (Net Noise owner)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 03:19:46 GMT

[email protected] (Ken Seergobin) writes:

>Hi,

>Why am I unable to compile calc? I have uncompressed
>and detarred all of the files from the emacs directory
>from tsx to their respective directories.

"It works fo me."

The install instructions are a little vague and spread out.

Add the following lines to /usr/local/emacs/lisp/default.el

;; for GNU Calc

(setq load-path (append load-path (list "/usr/local/emacs/calc-2.02/")))
(global-set-key "\e#" 'calc-dispatch)

(autoload 'calc-dispatch "calc" "Calculator Options" t)
(autoload 'full-calc "calc" "Full-screen Calculator" t)
(autoload 'full-calc-keypad "calc" "Full-screen X Calculator" t)
(autoload 'calc-eval "calc" "Use Calculator from Lisp")
(autoload 'defmath "calc" nil t t)
(autoload 'calc "calc" "Calculator Mode" t)
(autoload 'quick-calc "calc" "Quick Calculator" t)
(autoload 'calc-keypad "calc" "X windows Calculator" t)
(autoload 'calc-embedded "calc" "Use Calc from any buffer" t)
(autoload 'calc-embedded-activate "calc" "Activate =>'s in buffer" t)
(autoload 'calc-grab-region "calc" "Grab region of Calc data" t)
(autoload 'calc-grab-rectangle "calc" "Grab rectangle of data" t)

;; end of GNU Calc stuff

The first line containing the load-path stuff is needed if the calc
*.elc files are not in the default lisp directory, normally
/usr/local/emacs/lisp/
Modify it as appropriate or leave it out in you put calc in the default
lisp directory.

To get the info online manual to work, add the line

* Calc: (calc). GNU Calc

to /usr/local/emacs/info/dir

Make sure the info files are in /usr/local/emacs/info

Michael Pereckas

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ken Corey - Operator)

Subject: Need testers for JOT (Just an Organizing Tool) and TELL
Sender: [email protected] (UNT USENet Adminstrator)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 03:42:41 GMT

Anyone who needs some simple data tools for saving and retrieving
data on a Unix system, give me a holler.

My program is meant to be used in conjunction with all the other
little text tools for Unix, not as a complete solution. (This
is NOT DBASE IV....;) Hrm....I could call it ANDI, "Andi aiNt
Dbase Iv"....;)

Anyway, send a note if you want a copy of it. (the tar.Z file is
only 8K)

-Ken

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dan Miner)

Subject: Maybe no one noticed: mouse problem (possible)
Date: 6 Jun 92 04:10:40 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I see that alot of people hard having troubles with
this mouse or that one. How do you use a mouse? By running
X or MGR.

X requires lots of memory, disk space (100 meg w/ sources
or about 10 meg w/o source), SVGA (mostly Tseng chip sets), and
a mouse.
MGR is better on all of this but you don't get the same
functionality.

Now, with the release of vgalib, we have got access to
graphics. I currently writing a very primitive font system (bitmaped).
I plan to release this to the net (font is based on my WD90C00 character
set. Only one is supported so far. I need format info for other bitmap
fonts. HELP?!) Anyway..
Here is what I see as a possible problem. The mouse.
So many of them, so many formats of communication to the mouse. X and
MGR are having troubles dealing with this... What about the graphics
program that running independently of X and MGR? What if they want to
use the mouse? Re-write mouse drivers? NO! Why not write a mouse
system with a set of functions for it. An app could use these, space
space and help compatiblity.

Many will say... Write it for X.. Can you say catch-22?
"I can't run X! No "
I am one of these people. I have no mouse, 2 megs ram, 40 megs.
WD90C00 card (Paradise/Western Digtial). 386SX-20 MHz
I got alot of expanding to do just to run any "X like" server.

What do you think? I'm just rambling... ๐Ÿ™‚

Later.
Dan "in over head" Miner

From: [email protected] (Peter Williams )

Subject: Re: summary: uucp,etc...
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 01:43:42 GMT

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

|> A note for anyone taking this approach that knows little about uucp:
|> Change the conf.h and policy.h files to use TAYLOR CONFIG FILES because the
|> source comes WITH documentation for those files(If you have a formatter,
|> you can even read the documentation. I assume that ?roff should be used) ๐Ÿ˜‰

The documentation is texinfo which is formatted by typing

tex uucp.texi

BTW you also need the file texinfo.tex which contains the texinfo macros. Should
be available from GNU sites as it is part of the GNU documentation setup.

--
Peter Williams |e-mail: [email protected]
Key Centre for Design Quality |phone: +61-2-692 2053 or +61-2-660 6156

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Alex C. Liu)

Subject: vgaregs for MGR (And vgalinux)
Date: 5 Jun 1992 22:45:26 -0700
Sender: [email protected] (Alex Liu)

Hi,
I just put up in banjo a new vgaregs program to generate the
mode table for Linux MGR and for the vgalinux library with my 800x600
mode hack.

To use just download to msdos and type:

regs biosmode > output

biosmode is a number in hex.

From: [email protected] (Douglas E. Quale)

Sender: [email protected] (The News)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 06:57:46 GMT

(Douglas E. Quale) writes:
>>This has come up a couple of times already (including the case of
>>serial mice as well), but for the record stty acts on stdin not stdout.
>>Old stty's (from V7 through BSD4.3) used stdout, but this is suboptimal
>>and doesn't conform to POSIX. The GNU stty you are likely using on Linux
>>uses stdin, as does the stty distributed with BSD Networking Release 2.
>
>Say what you will, but "stty -istrip > /dev/ttys2" got my mouse to work
>with X. If it works, do it. ๐Ÿ™‚

The stty written by Lawrence Foard acts on stdout (fd 1) and has this
behavior. The stty in the GNU utils acts on stdin and thus conforms to
POSIX.

--
Doug Quale
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Chris Petrilli)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss

Date: 6 Jun 92 05:37:08 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

[email protected] (Randy Burns) writes:

>What is being done/thought about to allow software developed originally
>for DOS and MS Windows to be used with free OS's.

Not alot since most of it is commercial, and the FSF I believe as Stallman
would state will do aboslutely NOTHING to support commercial software.

>I have heard about a program that would allow MS DOS to to be run under
>Linux under 8086 emulation mode. I've also head some rumors about a free
>DOS 2.1 clone.

I have to ask WHY? There is very little that runs under DOS for me at least
that doesn't have a better version under Unix. I think this is just
encouraging people to hold an cling to a dead paradigm and not move forward,
something I don't think the FSF should do.

>My own sense is that there is a window of opportunity right now for
>free software. Microsoft is quite a ways from getting their "real" OS-
>Windows NT to market.

How is this an opporunity for FREE software? So far you've proposed
something that will go farthest to benefit commercial users.

>There are a few things that could, I think dramatically expand the installed
>base of the free software users, now that Linux is becoming more widely
>available:

I believe you're proposing people use FREE software to run commercial
software. As I think you'll find in the GNU manifesto, that is NOT what
the FSF is about. I don't speak for the FSF, but I can't see any reason to
expend energies on supporting a commercial software company. Let THEM write
it if they want it.

>1) A kernel hack that would allow MS Windows 3.0 or 3.1 to run under the
> DOS emulation mode under Linux. My understanding is that this would
> essentially involve writing a set of DOS Protected Memory Interface
> routines.

Why? What does Windows give you except access to more commercial software?
I still find it a technically-inferior product to X Windows. It doesn't
support network execution or anything similar to that.

> a) there is quite a bit of good Mac and Windows Public domain software
> out there. A lot of it fills niches that it will be a long time
> before they would be otherwise filled in the X windows arena. The
> availability of these programs would mean that a lot of people could
> use Linux and eventually Hurd and BSD who would otherwise be shut out.

This would also require implementing the brain-dead MSDOS file system, and
all of the Mac window calls. I don't think that is really the most
constructive of projects. You're talking about only slowing the transition.

> b) The availability of such products could spur the use of Free OS's for
> cross development purposes. My sense is that a lot of programmers
> would convert before the corporate end-user base would.

Perhaps, but I would rather see people write for the OS itself than waist
their time on commercial technology. You see you're still encouraging
propreitary technology (MS and Mac)...

>3) We need to establish a universally available GUI API similar approach and
> availability to the XVT product that would make it possible to develop
> software for all major installed user bases using a common API. My sense
> is that rather than promoting a consumer boycott of Apple, it may well be
> more constructive to in effect promote a _gradual_ abandonment by
> programmers of the proprietary Microsoft and Apple API's.

By continuing to encourage support of their paradigms and other language
libraries? Seems like the WRONG way to me. That makes us only slightly
better, if any.

>4) We need to develop more snazzy software that appeals to end-users. In
> particular we need some genius out there to develop a free product which
> empowers end users in the same way that products like Hypercard have.

I do agree wholeheartedly with you here. HOWEVER, I think continuing to
encourage the use of propreitary interfaces is the WRONG way to do it.

Chris
--
| Chris Petrilli ____
| [email protected] \ /
| I don't even speak for myself. \/

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Craig Burley)

Subject: Linux and Me
Date: 6 Jun 92 08:12:14 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Well, I've gotten Linux up and running on my 486 and gotten some real work
done already! I've managed to get gcc 2.1 to build itself through all
three stages, also to build my Fortran front end and run my little test
suite, coming up with the same ~3MB output file (modulo some minor floating-
point differences) as did the Sun4 to which I last ported my code!

Some things I've noticed, the first being a kind of nasty bug. I'm running
vanilla 0.96a boot and 0.95c rootimage, with various new versions of things
for the root image but having not yet applied patch1 to the boot image. At
the end of this post is my system configuration in some detail.

1. Once in a while Linux drops or rearranges disk blocks, apparently during
the 30-second update, but perhaps at other times as well.

2. When disk accesses happen, the whole system can hang for quite a while,
responding only to VC switching and the like.

3. CTRL-ALT-DEL serves only to permanently hang my keyboard (except, again,
for VC-switching), but does not reboot my system.

I'm using the default shell, not bash, and maybe that means I shouldn't
use "z"), Kermit manages to hang everything up as well, requiring me to
wait for an auto-sync and then reboot.

5. I really really want to get extended partitions, larger partitions, and
longer filenames supported. I've got 807MB of space out there I can't
use yet, but will need soon when I start doing serious Fortran testing.

6. Compiling and linking my Fortran compiler seems about as fast as it ever
has on any other machine, including Sun4 and '040 NeXTs.

7. I'd love to get Adaptec AHA-1740 support working so we could take our
1740s out of standard mode and put them in enhanced mode, this would make
disk accesses go even faster.

Elaborations:

1. (Disk blocks dropped/corrupted) Symptoms include: one C source file (my
own) that was successfully uncompressed/untarred, loaded into EMACS,
then subjected to a global search and replace of ordinary text, ended up
with exactly 1024 characters missing at an arbitrary point in it (not
related in any obvious way to the global change & replace, which by the
way worked just fine on the other 40 or so source files). The compiler
caught it, of course, and perhaps that 1024 bytes appeared elsewhere in
the file, but it was easy to reload the backup version and redo the
global changes for just that file.

Another symptom: when having my installed gcc build itself in stage1,
the resulting stage1/gcc immediately crashed. Yet that was after the
stage1 build completed (when I tried starting the stage2 build, which
uses stage1/gcc instead of installed gcc as the compiler), and the
end of the stage1 build _already_ uses stage1/gcc to compile things like
enquire.c -- and worked fine. Later, a similar thing happened to cc1 in,
I think, the stage2 build -- it worked for a short while, then stopped
working. In both cases, the 30-second update clearly could be the
culprit, and in both cases, deleting the file and forcing a rebuild of
it by an earlier stage fixed the problem.

Another: I did a "cp -pr dir1 dir2 dir3 /foo" where /foo was my other
partition. It copied, as expected, some 7MB of stuff, which I then
planned to delete from the current partition to free up space. Being
wary at this point, I tried "diff +recursive dir1 /foo/dir1", and with
all the disk activity, it reported that one binary file differed (which of
course it shouldn't have, unless a corruption happened), then reported a
SCSI disk error ("scsidisk error" or some such was the message I think)
indicating an attempt to read a block beyond the target (/foo) partition
size yet on that partition (given the major/minor numbers in the message)
but within the other partition size, then later reported another
binary-file difference. A subsequent invocation of the _identical_
command reported only the _first_ difference, no scsidisk errors, no
second difference.

2. (Disk accesses hanging system) I've read this is expected for 0.96a,
something about queue_command() being disabled for the Adaptec SCSI
interface temporarily, in favor of command(), or something. It'd be nice
to fix it someday.

3. RESET works. No idea why my system doesn't reboot on CTRL-ALT-DEL under
Linux -- it works under DOS.

4. (Kermit hangs) Sometimes I get a "login" message when I try ^D in this
situation, then various things at that point can result in weird messages
like "?Kermit background blah blah blah" or such like. I end up
rebooting, though often in these cases I'm able to use another VC to
sync.

5. (Extended, larger, and longer-name-supporting partitions/filesystems)
If nobody else does one or more of these soon, and if my Fortran work
gets held up, I'll do it myself. I think I can, I think I can....

6. (Speed of Linux) On the whole, I'm _extremely_ delighted to have sunk
major $$ primarily into hardware and have gotten this excellent software
for free, along with source code (which I have yet to peruse), which
despite these annoying little bugs, seems likely to enable me to work more
productively than ever before!

7. (AHA-1740 extended-mode support) Again, if nobody else volunteers and I
get bored (or suddenly need faster access times to my disk, not as
critical as #5), I'll try doing it myself. Any idea, out there, how easy
it'll be for me to obtain detailed and accurate info on the AHA-1740,
SCSI-2, etc? Or whether I'd still be able to access my Maxtor PO-12S
under DOS after switching my 1740 to extended mode?

I'm still a babe in the woods with regards to really knowing UNIX, though of
course I'm learning every day. Pretty soon I'll take the time to make myself
a login other than root (I already have the home directories set up) and do
other exploring (like making bash my default shell). I'd also like to explore
getting X and/or MGR up and running on my L-View display, but that'd probably
require some other things (like extended/larger-partition support) first.
(Oh, add a driver for my Colorado Jumbo 250 tape drive to the list of things
I'd like to have/write for Linux!)

I hope to add a free Fortran compiler (GNU Fortran) to the wonderful world of
Linux software within a few months, if all goes well, and if it does, I think
lots of people will be very interested in just the idea that I did some of
my Fortran-compiler development work on a system consisting _entirely_ of
Free Software (Linux + FSF stuff + etc)!

I don't get tired seeing this posted: Kudos to Linus, HLU, and so many others
I've lost track!

---- Here's my system configuration, to help with my bug reports ----

Central stuff:
Tower case w/8 drive bays and 250-watt power supply
Intel 32-bit 80486 CPU @33MHz
Micronics EISA motherboard
64KB cache RAM standard
Support for Weitek 4167-33 math co-processor (don't need the chip yet)
Phoenix 80486/EISA ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.01.22-2
16MB RAM, @70ns?
2 serial ports, 1 parallel port
8 EISA slots

Peripherals:
Adaptec AHA-1740 SCSI-2 controller (BIOS v1.34)
Maxtor PO-12S 1.2GB SCSI-2 hard drive
5.25" (1.2MB) internal floppy
3.5" (1.44MB) internal floppy
Colorado Jumbo 250 tape drive (thru floppy interface, I think)

Hard Drive:
64MB DOS, 807MB DOS extended, 62MB Linux, 64MB Linux partitioning (first
two done by DOS FDISK, latter two done by hand using DOS DEBUG)

Wetware Interface:
Sigma Designs L-View 1664x1200 120dpi 4-gray-scale monitor & card
Northgate Computer Systems' OmniKey/101 (modified so CTRL to left of
"A", CAPS LOCK left of SPC, etc)
Standard Technologies Mouse (switchable Microsoft/Mouse system)
Howtek Scanmaster
--

James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson [email protected]
Member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF)

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Nathan Laredo)

Subject: gcc2 woes
Date: 6 Jun 92 08:28:59 GMT

Today I decided I'd conduct a little experiment with gcc under
linux and compare it with the gcc 2.1 implementation on our
Sequent S81 here at Georgia Tech. The results were somewhat
disturbing. I would have expected the assembler output to
be the same using the same command line options. Here's
what I got:
Stripped a.out filesize: Sequent S81: 8192 bytes
Linux on my 486DX-33mhz: 9220 bytes

I suppose that's understandable given that Dynix is an established
OS with probably better support, but the following is what I found
most disturbing:

For those who are not familiar with the Sequent S81, it's a multi-
processor 386 16Mhz machine. We as lowly students would never be
allowed however to compile things to work with multiple processors
or else we'd bring the system to it's knees with a 100+ user load.
The following is the source followed by the assembler output, which
I had originally expected to be identical. It was not.

/* This is a test */

#include

main()
{
int i;

puts("start");
for (i=0;i<10000000;i++);
puts("done");
}

Sequent S81 with gcc -O6 -S test.c:

.file "test.c"
gcc2_compiled.:
.text
LC0:
.ascii "start\0"
LC1:
.ascii "done\0"
.align 2
.globl _main
_main:
pushl %ebp
movl %esp,%ebp
call ___main
pushl $LC0
call _puts
addl $4,%esp
movl $9999999,%eax
.align 2
L4:
decl %eax
jns L4
pushl $LC1
call _puts
leave
ret
.align 2

Now that was short, sweet and to the point... almost as good as I'd
write it in assembler. Now look at this:

My 486 under Linux with gcc -O6 -S test.c:

.file "test.c"
gcc2_compiled.:
.text
LC0:
.ascii "start\0"
LC1:
.ascii "done\0"
.align 2
.globl _main
_main:
pushl %ebp
movl %esp,%ebp
call ___main
pushl $__cout_sbuf
pushl $LC0
call _fputs
addl $8,%esp
cmpl $-1,%eax
je L3
movl __cout_sbuf+24,%edx
cmpl %edx,__cout_sbuf+20
jb L5
pushl $10
pushl $__cout_sbuf
call ___overflow
addl $8,%esp
jmp L3
L5:
movl __cout_sbuf+20,%eax
movb $10,(%eax)
incl __cout_sbuf+20
.align 2,0x90
L3:
movl $9999999,%eax
L9:
decl %eax
jns L9
pushl $__cout_sbuf
pushl $LC1
call _fputs
addl $8,%esp
cmpl $-1,%eax
je L12
movl __cout_sbuf+24,%edx
cmpl %edx,__cout_sbuf+20
jb L14
pushl $10
pushl $__cout_sbuf
call ___overflow
leave
ret
.align 2,0x90
L14:
movl __cout_sbuf+20,%eax
movb $10,(%eax)
incl __cout_sbuf+20
.align 2,0x90
L12:
leave
ret

It's trash! Look at how wasteful it is... In fact, I
took the other assembler code from the sequent, put
it through as on my machine and it still worked perfectly.
IMHO there's something definately screwey around here...
I find the whole thing repulsive. The same compiler for
the same platform should not be doing this. There is also
absolutely no reason for half the statements that I see
there in the Linux assembler output. Are we all now so
blinded by high level languages that we forget to look
at what's underneath? I'd think in 24 years we'd come
up with something that optimized better than this, back
24 years ago (I was not there but I'm told) there were
such things as optimizing compilers that could even
outcode the best assembler programmer because it was
really good at bookkeeping. Well it's 24 years later
and gcc2 sure can't outcode me, and I'm nothing but
an undergrad CS student... you'd think the level of skill
in writing compilers would be to the point today where I
might not even be able to understand what comes out of
the compiler, but it turns out trash in this case...
but the sequent version isn't all that bad. Same
software, different OS, so what's the deal?

-Nathan Laredo
--
Nathan Laredo |begin 600 mean.msg.Z
Georgia Institute of Technology |@'YV06V)T`;$"!`@B;]R4,Box 37080 |`

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Giles D Malet)

Subject: Anyone having problems with Taylor uucico dying ?
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1992 21:33:37 GMT

Due (I think) to the kernel dropping the odd character, my uucico
has an annoying habit of just sitting there after a few minutes /
hours transmission. Eventually the remote gets fed up with the
lack of response to polls, & drops the line.

Well, make that a `had'. I finally got annoyed enough as the
problem got severe enough under kernel 0.96 / GCC 2.1c to prompt
me to fix it.

Is it just me / my crummy modem & Hell Canada, or are others
suffering this ? Mail me if so. If enough interest, I will
rustle up my patches (one thanks to Ian Taylor himself), an
post the lot.

Giles.

--
Giles D Malet [email protected] [email protected]
Waterloo, Ont, Canada +1 519 725 5726 [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Bennett E. Todd)

Subject: Backups, and transferring large files
Date: 6 Jun 92 00:46:22 GMT

Some time ago I uploaded some tools that can help in managing large amounts
of data under Linux. On tsx-11.mit.edu, there's

pub/linux/sources/usr.bin/floptools.shar.Z

It contains shell scripts and a simple little helper C program. With
floptools, you can run anything that can generate a stream of data on
stdout, and feed it into a command that will prompt you to stuff in
floppies. This lets you make datasets that are as large as you like,
assuming you don't run out of diskettes or patience:-).

For example:

cd /;tar cf - * | compress | wrflops /dev/fd0

and recover with

rdflops /dev/fd0 | compress -d | tar xvf - [pathnames]

Since it is simply splitting the data across the floppies, it is trivial to
interchange data with any other Unix machine with compatible floppy drives.
For example, I use this all the time for bringing home new goodies from the
work machine, which is a Sparc.

If you want incremental backups, you can make a decent approximation with
find(1), cpio(1), and a timestamp file. E.g.

Full:
find / -print | cpio -oc | compress | wrflops /dev/fd0
touch /etc/Timestamp

Incremental:
find / -newer /etc/Timestamp -print | cpio -oc | ...

Want multilevel incrementals? Use multiple timestamp files.

Alternatively, GNU tar has support for all of this stuff (including
incrementals and multi-volume archives) built in. Some would say that it
shouldn't....

-Bennett
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Rik Faith)

Subject: New files on archives
Date: 5 Jun 92 21:48:13 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I have uploaded the following files to tsx-11.mit.edu:/incoming and to
banjo.concert.net:/pub/Linux/Incoming. All GNU utility files contain static
binaries, man pages, and a README.linux which tells how to patch the source
to compile under gcc 2.11c. Some may also contain info files. All are more
recent than the versions on tsx-11 at the present time. I had some problems
using some of the older versions (especially gawk), so I recompiled with a
later gcc and with latest GNU versions.

fd-1.6.tar.Z

This is my Future Domain TMC-1660/TMC-1680 driver. These are patches
against 0.96a + Linus' first patch. NOTE: These patches are *only* for
the 1660 and 1680. These are Future Domain's 16bit cards that are for
16bit ISA busses only. Future Domain made some cards with 16bit edge
connectors that would work in PC's and in AT's: THIS DRIVER IS *NOT*
FOR THOSE CARDS! Neither is this driver for Future Domain's 16bit
cards that were introduced earlier this year. PEASE CHECK YOUR MODEL
NUMBER BEFORE YOU WASTE YOUR TIME.

bison-1.18bin.tar.Z

This is the latest GNU Bison (a yacc replacement).

fileutl-3.2bin.tar.Z

This is the latest GNU FileUtilities release. This file contains the
following utilities: chgrp, chown, chmod, cp, dd, du, install, ln, ls,
mkdir, mkfifo, mknod, mv, rm, rmdir, and touch. These file are
essentially straight GNU versions. If Linux needs special versions of
these files, please send me e-mail and explain. They worked fine in my
limited tests.

gawk-2.13.2bin.tar.Z

This is the latest GNU Gawk (an awk replacement).

shutil-1.6bin.tar.Z

This is the latest GNU ShellUtilities release. This file contains the
following utilities: basename, date, dirname, env, expr, groups, id,
logname, pathchk, printenv, printf, sleep, tee, test, tty, whoami, yes,
uname, nice, nohup. Again, please send e-mail if Linux needs special
versions of these tools (perhaps for the tty stuff?). They worked fine
in my limited tests.

More GNU utilites are on the way. . .

--
Rik Faith: [email protected]
Paradox is the Question of Chaos.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Joel M. Hoffman)

Subject: Still looking for sources/patches to GNU Emacs and TeX
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News system)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 14:17:45 GMT

I'm looking for the patches needed to compile TeX and GNU Emacs (18.58)
on Linux. Are they available?

-Joel
([email protected])

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Pratip Mukherjee)

Subject: Compiling vgalib on 0.95c+ without kernel source code
Date: 6 Jun 92 02:26:46 GMT

While trying to compile vgalib with linux 0.95c+ (mcc-interim) I got the error
message which says that /usr/include/sys/mmap.h missing. It looks like
this file has some definition about mapping-in some of unmapped memory to linux.
The README file somewhat vaguely mentions that you need kernel sources.

I do not have enough disk space for the kernel source. Is there any way to get
vgalib to compile without the kernel source? Is there a compiled version (for
0.95c+) available?

Thanks in advance.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dan Miner)

Date: 6 Jun 92 16:08:10 GMT

Sender: [email protected]

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Pratip Muk
herjee) writes:
>While trying to compile vgalib with linux 0.95c+ (mcc-interim) I got the error
>message which says that /usr/include/sys/mmap.h missing. It looks like
>this file has some definition about mapping-in some of unmapped memory to linux
.
>The README file somewhat vaguely mentions that you need kernel sources.
>
>I do not have enough disk space for the kernel source. Is there any way to get
>vgalib to compile without the kernel source? Is there a compiled version (for
>0.95c+) available?
>
>Thanks in advance.

This is one the reasons I updated to 0.96a. To get things
like graphics and networking to work, you need at least three (about)
mapping functions. These are in vgalib but you need to patch them into
the kernel and recompile. With the Image file, you create a new boot disk.
To me that is alot of work for minimium support. I doubt there is
a pre-compiled version for you. But in X, there is a testimage
(pre 0.96?) that should be close enough to 0.95c+ that you should
not notice.

Hope this helps,
Dan

From: [email protected] (n.h.chandler)

Subject: How does one join the MGR Channel?
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1992 16:51:40 GMT

The Subject line says it all! Please post or e-mail any responses.
Thank you.

Neville H. Chandler
[email protected]

Leave a Reply