Category : UNIX Files
Archive   : INTLX024.ZIP
Filename : INTLX024.TXT

Output of file : INTLX024.TXT contained in archive : INTLX024.ZIP
From: Bill Dueber

Subject: Simple help mounting a floppy needed
Date: Wed, 27 May 92 14:03:19 EST

Hey folks. After an enormous amount of screwing around (makes me wonder if
I'm wise because I'm starting to know how much I don't know) I've got
Linux 0.96a onto my hard drive. The problem is I can't get anything else
off of floppy (say,oh, the m-tools) and I'm a bit stuck.

I tried rawriting the mtools-n.tar file to a high-density 1.44 M floppy,
and then tried to mount it with

mknod /dev/fda b 2 28 <-- Is this right for a 1.44M floppy in a:?
mount /dev/fda /floppya

And I continuously get a magic number error on the mount attempt. If I
do a mkfs to /dev/fda everything works fine; of course, my file is no
longer on the disk in that case, and I'm stuck with an empty floppy mounted
under /floppya.

Could someone explain (using small words ๐Ÿ™‚ what it is that I'm doing wrong?
I thought that rawriting a tar file to a floppy was enough (saw something to
that effect in the newsgroup, I thought) but I'm obviously doing something
incorrectly. Help!

--
Bill Dueber [email protected]
"If I met myself, I think I'd hate me for a while, until I got to know

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Al Clark)

Subject: Re: shutdown procedure?
Date: Wed, 27 May 92 18:33:06 GMT

In article [email protected] (Ajay Shah) wri
tes:
>My /etc/rc sets up a swap and mounts a 2nd partition into /usr/home.
>
>Does that mean a few syncs and powerout are still all we need by
>way of a shutdown procedure?
>
>(Why is Sun's /usr/etc/shutdown program 25k long (and world unreadable??)?)
>
>What is a decent fsck (not toothless while still not being too slow)
>command to put into /etc/rc? I would be happier if the filesystem was
>verified at each boot.
>
>Thanks,
>
> -ans.
>--
>
>Ajay Shah, (213)749-8133, [email protected]

I have started using the "Interactive" peoples approach; make sure all
is well at each shutdown. I only fsck at boot time if I know there was
a shutdown problem (like a power failure - not one panic so far!!!).
My rudimentary shutdown follows. The idea is to exit with an error
message if a problem; correct the problem and rerun shutdown. Upon
completion you're ready for poweroff or reboot. You can do the same
sort of thing at boot time, but this way, if I'm sure all is okay, I
can sync;sync;sync and reboot without bothering with 'shutdown', and
get rebooted rapidly. Works for me, your mileage may vary.

========================= cut here ===============
:
# for linux (Change devices to match your configuration)
cd /
umount /dev/hda4
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
echo "Can't unmount /dev/hda4 - aborting"
exit 1
fi
echo "Doing fsck on /dev/hda4"
fsck /dev/hda4
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo /dev/hda4 ok
else
echo /dev/hda4 probs - aborting
exit 1
fi
echo "Doing fsck on /dev/hda4"
fsck /dev/hda2
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo /dev/hda2 ok
else
echo /dev/hda2 probs - aborting
exit 1
fi
echo "Syncing"
sync
sync
sync
echo "Sync done - ready for power off or reboot"
============================ end ===========================
--
Al - [email protected] - My opinions are my own.
*** Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty! ***

[next article]
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.os.linux
From: [email protected] (Hansruedi Heeb)

Subject: Re: IBM PS/2 ESDI driver (a warning)
Sender: [email protected] (NNTP News Poster)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1992 18:56:45 GMT
Disclaimer: This posting represents the poster's views, not necessarily those of
IBM

About porting the MINIX EDSI driver to LINUX:

The MINIX driver was not written by Andy Tanenbaum, but by Doug Burks,
therefore it may be legal to port it. THE DRIVER WORKS ONLY ON
SMALLER PS/2s! Quote:

> As the original author of this disk driver, I would like to clarify this
> a bit. I don't have complete reports, but the driver only has known
> problems with disks that are not IBM's 60MB or 120MB disks and any disk
> on a Model 80. I have definite reports of success with the Model 60's
> and 70's. In fact, it was developed on a Model 70, and has run without
> error on it for well over a year now.
>
> Doug Burks _O_
> [email protected] |< She really is!!

On my PS/2 80 it trashed the hard-disk. Others reported that it works
fine for models
Hansruedi Heeb - [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)

Subject: Re: longer filenames dilemma
Date: 27 May 92 19:08:15 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] wr
ites:
7.math.TU-Berlin.DE (Gregor Schmid) writes:
>> Changing this value to s.th. else (preferred 2^n - 2) and recompiling
>> should give you a kernel that handles longer filenames (right Linus ?).
>> The problem: You have to rebuild mkfs with the new header and remake
>> your file system. That's inconvenient but unavoidable.
>
>Here's the problem bothering me: why does the filesystem have to be rebuilt?
>This implies that the full MAX_NAME bytes of space are allocated on the
>filesystem for file names. This is very bad. BSD, for instance, uses
>a linked-list of filename/inode pairs to represent directories on disk.
>This is read into memory and converted to an array of char * for efficiencies'
>sake.

I'll try to clarify once more about the linux filesystem implementation:

Nothing in the linux vfs depends on any particular name-length or on the
fact that names are fixed-length: it's just the minix filesystem that
doesn't support anything else. You /can/ just change the current
routines to use longer names, but this isn't a good idea: as Gregor
Schmid noted, this means the old filesystem no longer works.

Adding a second filesystem type that doesn't have the minix limitations
isn't that difficult: Remy Card did it even in 0.95 as he needed longer
filenames in order to compile mach under linux. In 0.96 vfs is a bit
better suppoted, so it should be even easier as long as you know what
you are doing. Card is now working on a better filesystem (his first
one was essentially the minix one, but using 30-character names, I
believe), and I hope it will make it into 0.97.

When you add a new filesystem by way of the vfs routines, it means that
old filesystems are still supported - no need to re-mkfs everything, and
copying between filesystems is totally transparent, as long as the
underlying filesystem doesn't have some requirements (like 8+3 filenames
or similar).

Linus

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Darren Senn)

Subject: Re: Simple help mounting a floppy needed
Date: 27 May 92 19:58:22 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

iana.edu (Bill Dueber) writes:
> I tried rawriting the mtools-n.tar file to a high-density 1.44 M floppy,
> and then tried to mount it with
>
> mknod /dev/fda b 2 28 <-- Is this right for a 1.44M floppy in a:?
> mount /dev/fda /floppya
>
> And I continuously get a magic number error on the mount attempt. If I
> do a mkfs to /dev/fda everything works fine; of course, my file is no
> longer on the disk in that case, and I'm stuck with an empty floppy mounted
> under /floppya.

You can't mount a floppy to which you've written a tar file. You simply
access the floppy with tar. If a particular file is advertised as a
disk image, then you can rawrite it to a floppy, and then mount the
floppy -- otherwise no.

To access a tar file you've written to a floppy:
tar -tvf /dev/fd0
^ ^^^ ^
| ||+-------- This tells tar to access a file other than /dev/rmt8
| |+--------- Verbose listing
| +---------- Type the directory of a tar file
+-------------- Tape ARchiver: program to access tar files.

The big leap that you have to make is realizing that under UNIX, everything's
a file: devices, memory, and of course files. If you've written some data
to a device, then the file that names that device actually names the _data_
in that device. So the [special] file /dev/fd0 isn't so much floppy drive
0, as the data on the disk in floppy drive 0.

--
Darren Senn Phone: (408) 479-1521
[email protected] Snail: 1785 Halterman #1

[next article]
From: [email protected] (JAMES LEWIS NANCE)

Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1992 20:22:48 GMT

iana.edu (Bill Dueber) writes:

|>Hey folks. After an enormous amount of screwing around (makes me wonder if
|>I'm wise because I'm starting to know how much I don't know) I've got
|>Linux 0.96a onto my hard drive. The problem is I can't get anything else
|>off of floppy (say,oh, the m-tools) and I'm a bit stuck.
|>
|>I tried rawriting the mtools-n.tar file to a high-density 1.44 M floppy,
|>and then tried to mount it with
|>
|>mknod /dev/fda b 2 28 <-- Is this right for a 1.44M floppy in a:?
|>mount /dev/fda /floppya
|>
|>And I continuously get a magic number error on the mount attempt. If I
|>do a mkfs to /dev/fda everything works fine; of course, my file is no
|>longer on the disk in that case, and I'm stuck with an empty floppy mounted
|>under /floppya.
|>
|>Could someone explain (using small words ๐Ÿ™‚ what it is that I'm doing wrong?
|>I thought that rawriting a tar file to a floppy was enough (saw something to
|>that effect in the newsgroup, I thought) but I'm obviously doing something
|>incorrectly. Help!

I think you can get mtools off of the disk by using
tar xpf /dev/PS0. I dont believe you can mount a raw written floppy because
the directory structure is not on the floppy.

-Jim Nance

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Darren Senn)

Date: 27 May 92 20:09:56 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

In article , [email protected] (Ajay Shah) wr
ites:
> (Why is Sun's /usr/etc/shutdown program 25k long (and world unreadable??)?)

Sun's /usr/etc/shutdown program is an actual program, not a shell script, so
it doesn't have to be readable by anyone to be executed (that's why the
"execute" permissions flag exists).

The program backgrounds itself, and sends a write to all users on the system
saying:
System going down in , please log off.
It then sends that message again 30 minutes , 15 minutes , 5 minutes , 1 minute,
and 30 seconds before the shutdown. If the original duration (you can set
it on the command line) is less than 30 minutes, than it starts at the
appropriate part of that list.

After the time has expired, it forcibly logs off anyone who is logged in
(including root), waits 30 seconds, then calls the system functions sync(),
and reboot().

This is why Sun's /usr/etc/shutdown is 25k and world unreadable.

I would personally LOVE to have a similar setup under Linux, but I've got
bigger projects I'm working on right now.

From: [email protected] (Doug Mayfield)

Subject: Has anyone ported xload??
Date: 27 May 92 20:58:05 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Well, have you?? If so please let me know what you are
measuring as load on the CPU. Also couls you send me a copy
or ftp it somewhere??? I am interested in finding out how the
load changes on my system.

Douglas B. Mayfield
[email protected]
(Computer Science Dept.)
(University of California at Davis)

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Kevin C. Dorff)

Subject: 0.96a and SCSI drive problem
Date: 27 May 92 21:38:43 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I am trying to bring up Linux on my 386/25 DX machine. I boot
the BOOT disk, all goes well. Skip the SVGA settings (neither
work correctly for me on my ATI VGA Wonder, no big deal),
and it comes up with the following:

Linux Version 0.96a-10
Host 0 is detected as a(n) Seagate ST-01/ST-02
Seagate ST-0X SCSI Driver by Drew Eckhardt
$header: /usr/src/linux/kernel/blk_drv/scsi/RCS/seagate.c, v1.1
1992/04/24 18:01:50 root Exp root$
1 host adapters detected
Detedcted scsi disk at host 1, id 0, lun 0
Detected 1 disk 0 tapes total
Warning: scsi device at host 1, id 0, lun 0 failed READ CAPACITY
status = 1, message = 00, host = 00, driver = 00
sense not available
Block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB
Insert root floppy and press enter

My Hard Disk is an ST296N (83mb) with an ST-01 (I think) controller.
I have it formatted (one partition) for DOS 5.0. When I put in the
root image disk, it all comes up (it is 0.95a root image), but 'fdisk'
returns nothing at all, just a command prompt.

I would be interested in knowing if there is something I am doing
wrong.

Thanks for any help possible.

--

Kevin Dorff
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Kevin Cummings)

Subject: Re: X11 problem
Date: 27 May 92 21:32:31 GMT
Sender: cummings@hammer (Kevin Cummings)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wri
tes:
> When I select "exit" on the twm menu, it kills the window manager but the
> actual X does not exit. It returns me back to a gray screen (like bootup)
> from which I can do nothing.

This is an X user configuration issue. When you invoke xinit, it reads your
.xinitrc file and executes it. When this file returns, X stops running.
So, to kill X, you must kill the process running your .xinitrc file.
How to do that easily. According to the O'Rielly Books, the last thing in
your .xinitrc file should be an xterm, invoked without using & and probably usin
the -C option to make it your CONSOLE window (does LINUX-X support this?).
When you type a ^D in that Xterm window, the X server should die. I changed my
.xinitrc file so that the last thing in it is my window manager. Now when I kil
TWM, I also kill my X server (what good is an X server without a decent
window manager, anyways. Note that restarting TWM by re-sourcing my .twmrc
file does NOT cause my X server to stop. (I do this under SUN/OS on my SUN
workstation, and it works fine. I haven't run X under LINUX yet, but the theory
should be the same.)

Obviously your mileage may vary (as may your file names).

Kevin J. Cummings Prime Computer Inc.
20 Briarwood Road 500 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, Mass. Framingham, Mass.

Work: [email protected]
Home: [email protected]

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
I've come to the conclusion that your new
defense system SUCKS..." -- War Games

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Paul H. Hargrove)

Subject: Re: memory hungry uncompress?
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 27 May 1992 22:07:59 GMT

Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga) writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Jeff Blanchet) writes:
>>> in article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Timothy Culli
p) says:

>>I recently tried to uncompress the boot image for 0.96a and got the same
>>error. The compressed file is only 97461 bytes. I could uncompress it fine
>>on a unix system at work.
>
>The compress on the 0.95 rootimage is BAD. Get a new one. Better yet,
>get the FAQ.

This is not the only reason that uncompress could go nuts. I recently
found that the garbage that an xmodem transfer appended to a compressed
file (to pad it to a multiple of 128 bytes), caused uncompress to just
sit there and eat memory and spit out bytes to the output like there was
no tomorrow.
I would still consider this to be a BUG, and I know that uncompress on
a Sun doesn't behave this way (tried it on the same file). I think there
is probably some basic sanity checking missing from the (un)compress code
that was ported to linux.
--
Paul H. Hargrove
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Kevin Cummings)

Subject: Re: new ka9q ready
Sender: cummings@hammer (Kevin Cummings)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1992 22:06:16 GMT

In article , hedrick@dartagnan
.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
> The new ka9q is now ready.

In the documentation that cam with the first version of KA9Q I got for
LINUX, it was mentioned that KA9Q for LINUX was a port of a rather
old version of KA9Q. It doesn't support all of the commands and
options that the latest DOS version does. In particular, does this
version of KA9Q support the TIP command? I find it useful to establish
the initial modem link via TIP (and then reset the TIP session) ever since
kermit started dropping DTR (or is that LINUX doing it when kermit
finishes executing?) and causing the modem to disconnect. Come to think of
it, KERMIT is doing the same thing for me under DOS as well (which is
why I want to be able to use TIP under KA9Q).

From: [email protected] (Alex C. Liu)

Subject: MGR for Linux (beta)
Date: 27 May 1992 16:49:53 -0700
Sender: [email protected] (Alex Liu)

(I know I am going to regret this but...)

Hi,
Beta version of MGR is available for download at
"banjo.concert.net" (/pub/Linux/MGR)

It works with a Microsoft compatible serial mouse, a VGA monitor and
386 (or better) running Linux pre0.96 (or better).

There is support for high resolution SVGA modes for Trident 8900c
cards.

Alex C. Liu
[email protected]

Notes for people running v0.01b:
There are diff files for upgrading MGR to the current version. The
VGABLIT library was changed a lot, so you must get the source code for
the library. (It is separate from the MGR source code now)

Changes for this new release:
Faster scrolling. (Added a fast_scroll routine written mainly in
assembly)
And the copyright bug is gone now.
Simulated 3rd mouse button is supported.

Also, I fixed the libmgr.a file. It works and some of the demo
programs do compile. Still, most of them do not work since they
access the Sgtty interface directly.

--
Alejandro Liu |EMail: [email protected] |All mispellings are intentional
3131 Mc Clintock #373F |Voice: 213-745-2431 |Anything mentioned here is not

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Edward J.M. Colbert)

Subject: making a swap file
Date: 27 May 92 23:47:38 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

A short question: can I create a swap file on an existing linux
partition without destroying the data that's already on it?

Ed

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Kayvan Sylvan)

Subject: X386 latests Linux work.
Sender: [email protected] (Kayvan Sylvan)
Date: 27 May 92 15:44:35

Will the latest X386 work done for Linux port to my ESIX 5.3.2D box???

I'm looking for a free way to bring up X386 with X11R5 on my machine.

---Kayvan
--
| Kayvan Sylvan, Sylvan Associates, [email protected], (408) 978-1407 |
| Consulting, Training, Development, SysAdmin, {BSD,SVr3,SVr4} Unix Systems |

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Kayvan Sylvan)

Subject: Re: DDJ? (was: Something else)
Sender: [email protected] (Kayvan Sylvan)
Date: 27 May 92 15:49:09

In article <[email protected]> [email protected]
(Dylan Smith) writes:

I did mail the person who writes the UNIX section in the days of 0.12 (his
mail address is [email protected]). Unfortunately, he didn't seem at all
interested at the time and wrote me a very hostile reply (he dosen't seem
to like free software for some reason, and tends only to write about
commercial stuff).

Well, think about most computer magazines' advertisers...

---Kayvan

From: pmacdona@sanjuan (Peter MacDonald)

Subject: Accolade for the invisible
Date: 28 May 92 00:53:57 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

People are always extending thanks to Linus for the os and Obz for X, but few
mention Hlu for gcc/libs. Months ago, when shared libs were just being hacked
out, and gcc2 was on the horizon, it became clear that the libs were in a
shifting state. Hlu has done a tremendous amount of work coordinating patches,
modifying and maintaining the shared libs design, and of course porting Gcc.

Just felt something should be said for the excellent job well done, partly
because at that time I considered (and rejected) taking it on myself.

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: BUGS in linux-0.96a
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 00:53:55 GMT

Just compiled using gcc-2.11a linux-0.96a with digest210 patch1
digest216 sys.c and digest222 keyboard.c

Tried to use XC, it displayed phone number when did a dial but modem
didn't dial. CTRL-C did not help.

Did a ps -U and then ps -axl and killed two processes with wchan
"read_chan".

Tried again. Same result. [didn't report that /usr/spool/uucp still
contained LCK..ttys2 from first try.

Tried with 0.96 bootimage --- same result

Powered modem off/on 0.96 bootimage reports lock file.

I tried to do ps -U with 0.96 bootimage --- of course it failed as
/usr/src/linux is 0.96a and need to mv /usr/src/linux to
/usr/src/linux-0.96a and restore /usr/src/linux-0.96 to /usr/src/linux
to have valid ps -U

IMHO: Not to nice to have to keep old kernels around. I probably will
write script to save old psdatabase when do ps -U.

Anyway, linux-0.96a had problems with XC and modem.

Sorry about side-track on ps -U, I would abort sending this message if
the system I'm on allowed.
John

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jim Burns)

Subject: Re: What files to grab ?
Date: 28 May 92 01:12:27 GMT

in article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Theodor
e Ts'o) says:

> * It wants to take over the entire disk (it doesn't use the
> MS-DOS partition scheme). Also, in general, it seems to
> require more disk space.

Not entirely true. There has been much discussion about this in comp.unix.bsd,
and what some people are doing is this:

The first track on the disk is needed for a 'disklabel' that describes the
geometry of the disk, and the bootstrap loader. The disklabel is created
from the parameters defined in a disktab configuration file for several
harddisk types (like what termcap is to terminals). Nothing says those
parameters *have* to cover the whole disk. You just need to specify begin
and end tracks (preferably on cylinder boundaries) for the root, swap, and
/usr (?) BSD logical partitions. If you leave out track ranges, 386bsd
(theoretically) ignores them (within the limits of an alpha release).
Apparently, there is still room left for the partition table, tho' exactly
where I haven't seen yet. I *believe* the master boot + partition table is
still the 1st sector, and the disklabel is the 2nd. Whether that requires
(minor) source code changes, I'm also not sure.
--
BURNS,JIM (returned student)
Georgia Institute of Technology, 30178 Georgia Tech Station,

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: ignore previous message
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 01:15:45 GMT

XC appears to work under 0.96a (most of the time???). JOhn

[next article]
From: [email protected] (KEVIN HERRIN)

Subject: Problems running X period!
Date: 28 May 92 01:23:43 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Linux Users!

I got the xuser0a? files from banjo.concert.net and I copied them
to their respective places according to the rather short readme.

Anyway, I know very very little about X,Linux, or computers in
general compared to most on this newsgroup. I have tried to keep
up and I've looked for some kind of FAQ or help sheets but to no
avail. My errors are when I run startx. I get this message:

General Protection: 0064
EIP: 0008:0000BEAF
EFLAGS:00013212
FS:00013212
BASE: 24000000,LIMIT : 04000000
PID:16,PROCESS NR:9
1f 07 0f a1 0f a9 83 c4 04 cf
xinit: server error

When I just run X:

General Protection: 0064
EIP: 0008:0000BEAF
EFLAGS:00013212
FS:00013212
BASE: 24000000,LIMIT : 04000000
PID:16,PROCESS NR:9
1f 07 0f a1 0f a9 83 c4 04 cf
Segmentation Fault

Barring a typo that is what I have.

Could some one out there in computerland PLEASE mail me some
simple step by step instructions to run this thing.

I have:

386/40 AMD
Trident TVGA cheapo! 1024x768 512k VRAM
4 megs of RAM
microsoft compatable(I hope) mouse

-Thanks ALOT!

-Kevin

[next article]
From: [email protected] (n.h.chandler)

Subject: Re: misc questions(gcc2.11, filenames, this group)
Date: 28 May 92 01:52:57 GMT

In article , [email protected] (Kay
van Sylvan) writes:
> In article [email protected] (Al Clark) writes:
>
> I see. You don't want to use the technology available (kill files and
> miscellaneous other methods) because it's personally inconvenient. Yet
> you don't hesitate to break up the newsgroup, which would be an
> inconvenience to a lot more people.
>
> I vote we keep the group the same. I read it all and I don't want to
> be on a gazillion mailing lists each devoted to one corner of the
> Linux world.
>
> ---Kayvan
> --

I vote we leave the group as it is!

Neville Chandler
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (H.J. Lu)

Subject: README PLEASE: Re: top, linux 0.96 etc..
Date: 27 May 92 21:21:25 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

Richard Harry) writes:
>Hi there linuxers, I've been lurking in this newsgroup and a.o.l since
>0.12, only now do I have the urge to post a request.
>
>top very gradually uses up available memory, so that I periodically have
>to kill it and restart it. I think I remember reading the reason for
>this and a possible fix, but I can't find it in any of my archives. So
>does anyone have the answer ?

The old "top" is linked with the buggy lib. Please relink top with gcc
2.11a or above. If you still have the problem, please tell me.

Gee, I thought I saw this before and it was a known bug.

H.J.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (David Engel)

Subject: Re: Accolade for the invisible
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 04:35:04 GMT

pmacdona@sanjuan (Peter MacDonald) writes:
: Just felt something should be said for the excellent job well done, partly
: because at that time I considered (and rejected) taking it on myself.

Seconded. Thanks, again H.J.

David
--
David Engel Optical Data Systems, Inc.
[email protected] 1101 E. Arapaho Road

[next article]
From: [email protected] (David.L.)

Subject: make 0.96 w/gcc-2.11c blows
Date: 27 May 92 16:53:22 PDT

Hi

Finally .. tried to compile 0.96 using gcc 2.11c.

Ported gcc-2.11c, placed the sources / headers the way recommended.

In Makefile defined CPP as g++, took out the /no standard include/, changed the
system dependent entries.

Had to adjust the dependency on config.h to /usr/include.., instead of
include/..

Tried a make .. got a zillion ;^} .. bellyaches when attempting to:

g++ -traditional boot/bootsect.S -o boot/bootsect.s

about (silly value) '!' junk char, at start of line .. rest of line ignored ...

took out the -traditional .. got 2 unterminated values or strings.

HELP ...

BTW - HOW do I get an output listing INCLUDING line numbers, so as to be able
to locate errors ? did I get totally corrupted using VAX tools ?
--
----> [email protected] OR [email protected]
David L.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Al Clark)

Date: Thu, 28 May 92 02:35:55 GMT

an Sylvan) writes:
>In article [email protected] (Al Clark) writes:
>
> (Yes, I know about kill files, but they use
> up so much time and space resources that I avoid them.)
>
> But using the mailing list topics as the initial set of breakouts is
> probably a good start.
>

>I see. You don't want to use the technology available (kill files and
>miscellaneous other methods) because it's personally inconvenient. Yet
>you don't hesitate to break up the newsgroup, which would be an
>inconvenience to a lot more people.

That's not exactly what I said. Kill files use up resources on a shared
system on this end. I was adding a vote to a number of people who would
like to see the group further broken out, as is quite normally done when
volume gets large on newsgroups. I don't understand the "inconvenience
to a lot of people". Unless there's something I don't understand about
the complexity of "breaking up the news group". comp.mail has articles
in it as well as having subgroups, for example. I was suggesting that
the current topics (like X) could be an initial set of subgroups,
like c.o.l.X, c.o.l.scsi, and so forth.

>I vote we keep the group the same. I read it all and I don't want to
>be on a gazillion mailing lists each devoted to one corner of the
>Linux world.
>
> ---Kayvan
>--

I don't understand your point. I don't want to be on a bunch of mailing
lists either; I was agreeing with others that wanted to avoid mailing
lists and still not wade through a lot of c.o.l traffic.

to all the groups, with no inconvenience I can see. There are a few
posters that don't cross post and post to multiple groups, but I haven't
noticed very much of it. And people could still post general info to
c.o.l

From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Subject: Re: breakout lists/discussion channels
Date: 28 May 92 11:22:42 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:
>The list/c.o.l. news group may not have split, and may never split, but there
>are many lists for the discussion of various topics under linux.
>I know of two, linux-man, and linux-serial.

There was also linux-scsi (replaced by the SCSI channel of the linux-activists
list). There is also linux-standards.

>As far as I know, anyone that wants to can set up their own list,
>but they ought to check with their sysadmin first.

Unless you have root permission on your machine, or an
automated mechanism for adding sendmail aliases, you will
need to check with your sysadmins first.

And, if your site uses a distributed aliases file, it might
be more problematic than that.

If you run your own mailing list, there are two viable options :
1. Use a sendmail include file.

This is an include file, such as /headrest/users/drew/linux-scsi.alias,
which has all of the sub aliases. This will be editable by you,
and allow easy modification of the list.

The main limitation of this method is that sendmail has a 1024 byte
limit per alias, imposed by the DBM files it uses.

2. Use a mailing list manager

This is the preferable method, as users can be automatically added
to the mailing list.

Also, the mailing list manager, a single small entry (pipe to program)
in the aliases file is unaffected by the 1024 byte per alias
limit.

An easier alternative to this whole mess is to use the MailNet
program that runs the linux-activists list.

Simply mail to linux-activists a message with the following in the
header :

Where channel is the name of the channel you want -
ie

created the SCSI channel to create a channel.

Users can join it by saying

leave with leave, etc.

The

field determines what channel a message goes to.

X-
>PS, for those interested, the above mentioned lists are as follows:
>[email protected]
>join by sending mail to [email protected]
>[email protected]
>join by sending mail to [email protected]
>PLEASE NOTE: these lists are being maintained by Michael K Johnson as
>[email protected] and [email protected]
>Michael, if I've got anything wrong here, let me know. ๐Ÿ™‚

Add to that the various channels of linux-activists, namely
X11, MGR, NORMAL, SCSI.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Subject: Re: Easy Questions, maybe? on SCSI and X
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 05:21:56 GMT

aterloo.edu (Mark Pundsack) writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Neal Stephenson) writes:
>>Hi,
>> I have two questions pertaining to different machines. I have
>>Linux on my home machine RLL drive, 4M ram, 5M swap, Vga. it works
>>fine installation was a breaze. So I try my work machine, a lot
>>better, 16M ram, 486, SVGA, huge SCSI drive, great perfect hardware. I
>>got the SCSI boot disk and 0.95 root . It boots identifies the drive,
>>then fdisk does not work. what am I missing do, I have to make new
>>entries in /dev If someone could help me out I'd appreciate it. (I
>>read the FAC and didn't see anything).
>> Thanks,
>> Neal.
>
>I also have a SCSI drive and have booted Linux from floppy. It boots fine
>and recognizes the controller (Adaptec 1542a) and both the hard drive and
>tape drive. The problem is that fdisk doesn't return anything and pfdisk
>doesn't seem to work.
>Any ideas? I have read the FAQ, but I thought that if I was using the 0.96
>release, that there shouldn't be any problems.

The Linux partitioning programs do not have support for the SCSI devices -
recompiling them with appropriate strings will fix this.

Partitioning from DOS, through either fdisk, the Norton Utilities, etc
is an acceptable way to do this. Just mark the start of the partition with
some easily identifable signature (ie, by using DEBUG or your favorite
sector editor) and confirm that that is the partition you want under
Linux (ie, by using dd, and piping it's output through something like
od so your output isn't a scrambled mess) before mkfs'ing it.

>On a related note, is there any way for Linux to use the tape drive?

Not yet. SCSI tapes will be in "sometime", and are currently behind
disconnect / reconnect on the Seagate lowlevel driver, multi-lun
support (trivial), and performance enhancements in the SCSI drivers.

>Obviously it is aware of it, but will it be able to control it and how do
>I get at it? I didn't see anything about a /dev for a tape drive. I would

No. The stubs are there for SCSI tapes (ie, they are detected in
the initialization code, and there is a SCSI IOCTL which can leave the
results of a SCSI command in user space, the "backbone" of any
character device), but nothing is actuall implemented.

As far as a device, SCSI tapes will be a character device, major 9,
and the naming convention will be /dev/st and /dev/nrst,
where N is the drive number, assigned in the same dynamic fasion that
SCSI drive numbers are assigned.

>have thought that I would need a /dev specifically for my tape drive type.
>It is a Tandberg using QIC525.

This is correct, but the kernel support isn't quite there yet.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Subject: Re: Keyboard lights (Was: 0.96 and 0.96a comments (and a bug report))
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 05:24:12 GMT

In article [email protected] (Johan Myreen) wr
ites:
writes:

>>I have just started using 0.96a. I have noticed no major problems
>>yet, but I have noticed a minor keyboard problem---the keyboard LEDs
>>don't work.
>
>My bug, sorry. An error slipped in when I translated keyboard.S to C.
>In the file kernel/chr_drv/keyboard.c, function kb_ack() change the
>line
>
> if (inb(0x64) == 0xfa)
> if (inb(0x60) == 0xfa)

Deleting the calls to kb_ack() works too.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 05:40:20 GMT

In article [email protected] (Ajay Shah) wri
tes:
>My /etc/rc sets up a swap and mounts a 2nd partition into /usr/home.
>
>Does that mean a few syncs and powerout are still all we need by
>way of a shutdown procedure?

Yes.

However, on larger systems, you also want to notify any NFS clients,
stop smtp, lpd daemons so they don't just die in the middle of things,
etc.

>(Why is Sun's /usr/etc/shutdown program 25k long (and world unreadable??)?)
>
>What is a decent fsck (not toothless while still not being too slow)
>command to put into /etc/rc? I would be happier if the filesystem was
>verified at each boot.

echo fscking :
for DRIVE in /dev/foo /dev/bar; do
echo $DRIVE
fsck -r $DRIVE
done

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: Re: Video support for X
Date: 28 May 92 04:43:14 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Garry M. Paxinos)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Kevin
Cummings) writes:
> I have a Diamond Stealth 1280 VRAM, an S3 card I believe, and though I
> realize that it is not supported by the release version of X, I read
> what seemed to indicate that not only were some people with S3 cards
> using X, but that there was indeed a driver available (albeit not for
> free). My question then is this: Does an S3 driver exist for X, and if
> so how can I get it (how much $ - etc)?

I really don't think you want to know how much bucks. For commercial
grade software???? BIG BUCKS!!

I don't think I'd say BIG BUCKS... We're in the process of porting our
servers (ega, vga, svga, 8514, TIGA, Microfield, TARGA,...) over to BSD. I
can't give you a schedule or price just yet. But as it will be a
server only release it will be significantly cheaper than our normal
X runtime package price of $299.00. (Not counting Xv real-time video
in a window support... ๐Ÿ™‚

Pax.
--
Email : [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
USNail : 3868 NW 21 Ct. Coconut Creek, Fl 33066 Voice : 305-973-8478

From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Subject: Re: making a swap file
Date: 28 May 92 11:33:18 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Edward J.M. Colbert) writ
es:
>A short question: can I create a swap file on an existing linux
>partition without destroying the data that's already on it?
>
>Ed

Yes. First, you need to make a file - there are a number of ways of
doing this, but the simplest will be to use dd.

dd of= bs=1024 count=

where swapfile is the name of the swapfile to create, and count
the size in K.

Now, you need a data source for dd - something you pipe into it.
Some people have suggested using the raw disk device, but if
dd encounters read errors, it will stop, which is BAD.

So, you want to do something like

yes REALLY_REALLY_LONG_STRING | dd of= bs=1024 count=

Then do a mkswap on that file.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Subject: Re: problems with ps, pcomm95c+1 and more...
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 06:20:22 GMT

ardt) writes:

>>>Yes, but *how* do you build it?
>>>

>>ps -U
>
>This must be the worst part of Unix. Ideally there should be a system call
>to get the ps statistics, so ps doesn't need to rebuild its database all the
>time (or even need a database). At the very least, would it be possible to
>add a new system call to Linux to return a pointer to a table of addresses
>in kernel memory? These addresses would be those required by ps to do its
>kernel lookup work. A table of strings (for the labels) and actual addresses
>to allow for easier expansion and less offset-dependence maybe.

See below.

>Sure, this call is not "standard Unix", but having to rebuild the kernel to
>use ps is plain grungy, and really isn't a good thing for those not
>interested in kernel hacking to be doing. (Yes, there are those of us who
>want to use Linux and not hack it ๐Ÿ™‚ .

Pester Linus about providing the kernel nlist file (/etc/psdatabase) with
each new kernel binary.

BSD 4.4 does this with the "get kern info" (with some mangling through
the use of underscores) library function, which does either a syscall
on a live kernel, or does the right thing on a core dump of a dead kernel.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Lance Pickup)

Subject: Linux on MicroChannel PS/2
Date: 28 May 92 12:08:28 GMT
Sender: @watson.ibm.com

I decided to try out 0.96a on my MicroChannel PS/2 based on a few
reports that people had gotten it working on floppies. Here are
my results:

1) It didn't reboot after telling me there were 4 pty's. But the
screen did go blank right after that. I found that hitting a
key brought the screen back, only to disappear about a second
later. Does Linux have a screen blanking feature? This is
what it appears to be doing, except it blanks it after only a
second!

2) By holding down a key, I can get the boot to proceed. It doesn't
matter if I hit the key one key at a time or let it auto-repeat,
but obviously it goes faster if I just hold the key down. The
point is that it appears to be looking for keystrokes. My guess
is that the code thinks it has a keystroke waiting (when it really
doesn't) and is sitting in the keyboard interrupt service routine
until I hit a key? Okay, so by holding down a key for long enough,
I can get it to get as far as prompting for the ROOT diskette.
This is after it reports 0 disks (which I expected based on some

3) When prompted, I put in the ROOT diskette and hit ENTER. The
system tries to read from the floppy twice unsuccessfully???
and then panics. I don't think I have a bad ROOT diskette,
although I was using the 0.95 ROOT (I didn't want to download
the entire 0.96a ROOT until I was sure the BOOT would work).
It seemed to fail immediately, like right after I hit ENTER.

Well, I am pleased I got as far as I did, but I still can't make
it work, even with the screen blanking on me every second and having
to hold down a key. I guess the interrupt processing is still too
far away from the MicroChannel. I would be interested in other
PS/2 user's comments.

Thanks,
--
...Lance

Lance Pickup VNET/IBM Internet: lpickup@btv
IBM/Vendor Systems Internet: [email protected]
Technology Products
Burlington, VT Phone: (802) 769-7104 (tie 446)

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Anthony Rumble)

Subject: Oak and X386
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 13:25:43 GMT

Has anyone gotten X386 to work with an Oak VGA card?

If so.. could you PLEASE mail me your Xconfig file as I cant
even get it working in 640x480 mode!

I keep getting the dredded "no screens found" error.. which I
just cant seem to fix..

Help..

Anthony Rumble

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Toshiyasu Morita)

Subject: uemacs311a fixed & mawk porting problems...
Date: 28 May 92 08:30:24 GMT

I patched uemacs311 to handle ctrl-S properly (i.e. not stop screen output) and
uploaded it to banjo.concert.net in pub/Linux/Incoming.

The file's called ue311a-fix.tar.Z, and contains executable only.

On a different note I'm having problems porting Mike Brennan's mawk to Linux.
It will compile fine, but when the makefile tries to run "mawktest" to verify
the integrity of the executable it (mawk) crashes with a general protection
error: 0000. Anybody know what it means? (help Linus!)

Also, the really funny thing is the error message doesn't always appear on
the right vc. Sometimes I will run mawktest in vc 4, and the message will
show up in vc 3, and vice versa...very strange!!!

Toshi Morita
[email protected]
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (James Michael Chacon)

Subject: Bug in 96a
Date: 27 May 92 23:43:35 GMT

I found what I think are some bugs in 96a.

1) Take a floppy, and fill it up completely with files (i.e. < 20K free)
Then do some commands dealing with thoses files such as cp * /tmp
On my system this will copy all files correctly, but then output
errors saying it couldn't read blocks. These blocks are numbered past
the end of the disk. Obviously the read ahead feature is going to far
and eventually timing out. I will dig into the sources tommorow to try
and find where it is.

2) The error messages from above do not go to the tty they occured on.
They are output on the current tty. This is a problem when I am editing on
one tty and using the cp command from above on another. Those error messages
shouldn't appear on my tty, they should go on the tty that caused them
I may look into this problem, but it doesn't appear on any other errors,
so it isn't immediate

Otherwise thanks for a great system Linus

----------------------- ---------------------------
-I will not carve gods- James Chacon [email protected]
----------------------- ---------------------------

-

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Werner Almesberger)

Subject: Re: Bug in Linux 0.96a with patch 1?
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 13:14:52 GMT

I'm getting occasional keyboard lockups too. (0.96a kernel with my floppy
patches. Maybe also in earlier 0.96 versions.) Sometimes it's just the DEL
key that stops working. Hitting the keys a few times usually makes the
problem go away. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen frequently enough that
I could see a pattern. And yes, I run a getty for my terminal on
/dev/ttys2.

- Werner
--
/ Werner Almesberger, ETH Zuerich, CH [email protected] /
/ IFW A44 Tel. +41 1 254 7213 [email protected] /

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Kayvan Sylvan)

Sender: [email protected] (Kayvan Sylvan)
Date: 28 May 92 02:08:25

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Robert J.
McNamara) writes:

>make it much easier to implement and test it. Another filesystem that
>would be nice to have is a MS-DOS filesystem, so that people would be
>able to access a DOS filesystem transparently from Linux, without
>needing to use the mcopy, mdir commands.

And get stuck with the 8.3 filenames? Ugh....Howabout the OS/2 HPFS
filesystem? (or is that protected?)

Why would you be "stuck" with it? It's an added capability, and adds
more options.

---Kayvan

From: [email protected] (Chris Taylor)

Subject: X11 on paradise
Date: 28 May 92 09:21:23 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News Owner)

Can anyone tell me what configuration I need in Xconfig for
a paradise SVGA (I *think* its a WD90C00)....

-Chris
Chris Taylor: [email protected]
X400: /S=ccx062/OU=cck/O=coventry/PRMD=UK.AC/ADMD= /C=GB/
Coventry Polytechnic, Computing Services. Tel: (0203) 631313 ext:8644

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Chip Salzenberg)

Subject: Re: longer filenames: how to solve the dilemma
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 17:36:24 GMT

You could add long filenames like SCO did: by using multiple 16-byte
directory entries. The subsequent directory entries providing the
extra characters are tagged with an impossible inode number (0xFFFF).
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT , <[email protected]>
"Informix 4GL is not a 4G, and it's barely an L." -- John Tombs

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Bob Doolittle)

Date: 28 May 92 14:10:48
<[email protected]>

In article [email protected] (Al Clark) writes:

(Yes, I know about kill files, but they use
up so much time and space resources that I avoid them.)

But using the mailing list topics as the initial set of breakouts is
probably a good start.

I see. You don't want to use the technology available (kill files and
miscellaneous other methods) because it's personally inconvenient. Yet
you don't hesitate to break up the newsgroup, which would be an
inconvenience to a lot more people.

I vote we keep the group the same. I read it all and I don't want to
be on a gazillion mailing lists each devoted to one corner of the
Linux world.

That's the whole point, in my view. We already have a gazillion mailing
lists for things such as X11 and GCC, which are not posted to the net
(except in the digests of linux-activists), in order to keep the net
traffic down. This makes joining a channel of linux-activists a tough
proposition - for context of the discussions you have to find the digests,
and pick out the messages for your channel from the digests (where they're
all grouped together in one big file), without all the nice
subject-following interface commands you're used to when reading netnews.

Al's point was to make a branch of the newsgroup for each of what is
currently a channel of linux-activists as a starting point. This would
simplify life greatly. Then we can make more subgroups as the need arises
(SCSI would be a good candidate, although there may already be a channel in
linux-activists for this).

-Bob
--

Bob Doolittle Thinking Machines Corporation
(617) 234-2734 245 First Street

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Bob Doolittle)

Subject: Re: Problem with gcc 2.1 (why do I have to flush stdout?)
Date: 28 May 92 19:22:18 GMT

David Giller) writes:

[email protected] (Budi Rahardjo) wrote:
>I have problem with gcc 2.1 with a simple (test) program :
>
>#include
>char line[255];
>main(argc, argv)
>int argc; char *argv[];
>{
> printf("Testing gcc 2.1\n");
> printf("Enter a string: ");
> scanf("%s", line);
> printf("You entered: %s\n", line);
> printf("Enter another string: "); /* I have to flush stdout */
> scanf("%s", line);
> printf("You entered %s\n", line);
>}
>
>When I try to run it, it won't display the "Enter another string:".
>I have to flush stdout explisitly to display it. What gives ?
>Is this a gcc bug or somehere something is buffering my stdout...

Welcome to ANSI C. ANSI C says that you can't rely on printf() flushing
your output. Lots of people are getting bitten my this with the new
IBM compiler for OS/2 also.

I guess you have to add fflush() calls here and there. Seems awfully
kludgy to me, but who ever said the standard way was the best way?

Doesn't setbuf exist under ANSI? It can be used to change the default line
buffering mode for a stream. You can change it to always flush output and
then you don't need fflush(stdout) any more.

-Bob

From: [email protected] (Paul Fox)

Subject: Re: Sources of utils....
Date: 28 May 92 15:28:12 GMT

[email protected] (Dan Miner) writes:
:
: I have found sources for many for programs for linux, even
: linux itself. But there is one thing I have not found...
: The sources for tar, ls, chmod, etc... The binaries that come with
: the rootimages for new releases. Where can I find these little
: utils that make life livable.... ? ๐Ÿ™‚

And people were wondering why the "source is available" notices are
supposed to be PROMINENT, according to the CopyLeft?

paul

--
paul fox, [email protected], (617)494-1999
Cayman Systems, 26 Landsdowne St., Cambridge, MA 02139

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ben Cox)

Subject: shoelace problem
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 18:16:22 GMT

Hello all; I got my machine yesterday, and have installed lotsa stuff
onto it (I put mcc-interim 0.95c+ on, am using a 0.96a kernel, and
have emacs, perl, gcc/g++, etc.).

The next thing I'd like to do is install shoelace to boot off my hd.

I did the test-laceup on a floppy and booted from that. The WiniBoot
menu came up just fine, and displayed my correct partition table, but
after the prompt timed out, the floppy went nuts: it said "Non-System
Disk or Disk Error" with constant grind/seeking. Only the Big Red
Button (well, okay, the Big Beige Button :->) could help.

I couldn't find any help for this in the FAQ or in the mcc-interim
README files. Anybody know what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any clues, and thanks to Linus and everyone who
is helping with FAQ's, Beginners' Guides, etc. This is the first
problem I had that wasn't covered!

--
Ben Cox
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Michael Kraehe)

Subject: Minix-ZModem
Date: 28 May 92 08:23:00 GMT

Hy folks,

I wanna port my MausTausch (a pointprogram with is based on ZModem) from
Minix->Linux, and it works nearly ok.

When I sz a textfile all right, but sz of compressed files give me :

general protection: 0000
EIP: 000f:00000114
EFLAGS: 00010202
ESP: 0017:03BFFBDC
fs: 0010
base: 2C000000, limit: 04000000
Stack: 000043D0 00000000 00000009 00007108
Pid: ..., process nr: 11
6f 9c 71 46 19 64 04 57 65 9d

Can anybody explain to me what this mean, and how to use it as a debugging
information. Perhaps sombody portet Minix-ZModem to Linux and can tell me
where the BUG is. rz of compressed files works fine ????

By Michael

PS : I'm working on a MCC-0.95c+

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ian Wells)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.os.linux

Date: 28 May 92 20:35:21 GMT
<[email protected]>

<[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected] (The news facility)

I'm looking to implement this myself at the moment, from Doug Burks'
code (although I'm noty copying code, just using it as a reference,
'cos I can't get hold of any of the PS/2 docs. around here, and
anyway, MINIX uses a different convention for interrupts). It's not
surprising that it doesn't work with Model 80's, since model 80's use
SCSI disks, as I recall. Other IBMs (the low-end ones, I suspect,
and maybe not any 386's) use a different sort of controller again,
what I take to be the replacement for ST-506 controllers, which MINIX
also supports.
In any case, after hunting around the network, I found that all the
source was publicly FTP-able, and none of it had copyright messages
in, which I can only assume means using it at least as a base is
permissible.
I will distribute this if it does work for me (we have 55sx's here, as I
recall, with 60MB hard disks) but of course, if it falls over with
your hard disk then don't blame me. (But at least it won't core-dump
over your HD like other famed operating systems! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Ian.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ian Wells)

Subject: Re: make 0.96 w/gcc-2.11c blows
Date: 28 May 92 20:45:53 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The news facility)

The reason you're getting silly problems is simple: CPP = C
preprocessor, compared to g++ = c++. Replace CPP with gcc -E
-traditional (or gcc-cpp -traditional, someone correct me if I'm
wrong) and you should be fine. The bootsect.S file simply needs to be
preprocessed, compiling it as C++ definitely won't work. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Ian.

[next article]
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.os.linux
From: [email protected] (Al Clark)

Subject: Re: IBM PS/2 (not clone) Disk Controller - registers needed for Linux
Date: Thu, 28 May 92 20:50:08 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Mark E
vans) writes:
>[email protected] (Ian Wells) writes:
>: One of the more recent upgrades for MINIX has a PS/2 ESDI driver in
>: it. It might be worth looking at that for help (although I wouldn't
>: recommend nicking any code, MINIX people seem to be a bit touchy
>: about that).
>: Also, the keyboard driver didn't work on the PS/2s I
>: tried. It completely ignores the backspace key, which is very
>: frustrating.
>The backspace problem is apparently a problem with the latest version of linux
>switching to another VC usually cures it.

There is a know problem like this associated with the shell on the
distribution disk. Same symptoms. If that's it, use bash instead.

From: [email protected] (Bob Doolittle)

Date: 28 May 92 17:58:35

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Darren Senn
) writes:

After the time has expired, it forcibly logs off anyone who is logged in
(including root), waits 30 seconds, then calls the system functions sync(),
and reboot().

Actually, it's slightly (but importantly!) more complex. First it sends a
signal SIGTERM (15) to all processes and waits for them to die, then if
they stuck around it sends a SIGKILL (9) which is uncatchable.

The point of this procedure is to allow programs which wish to do their own
cleanup to catch SIGTERM, do their thing, and exit themselves cleanly. If
they don't explicitly catch SIGTERM they die unless they're really stuck,
in which case SIGKILL will take care of most of them.

-Bob

From: [email protected] (Gregor Schmid)

Subject: additional keys (Alt cursor etc...)
Date: 28 May 92 22:53:15 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News Manager)

Hello folks,
how about adding a little more keys to linux?
I'd like to be able to use 'Alt Cursor up' or 'Ctrl Home' etc. in emacs.
Linux doesn't recognize those combinations, though it would be trivial to
add them. The question is: what key codes should be used? Is there any
standard? If not, is anyone else interested so we can set up a standard of
our own? Otherwise I'm just going to configure my system as I need it.
Regards,
Greg

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: Re: Micro-Channel Version of Linux ?
Date: 28 May 92 13:54:55 -0500

.Edu (Tony Lang) writes:

> Well, since no one responded to my message ages ago, I'll give it one more
> try.
>
> IS there a Micro-Channel version of Linux ?

Somebody at IBM is working on one, but it is taking a while. BTW, I'm willing
to beta-test when it gets to that point.
--
Mark H. Wood, Lead Analyst/Programmer +1 317 274 0749 [@disclaimer@]
Internet: [email protected] BITNET: IMHW400@INDYVAX

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Timothy L. Nali)

Subject: No more general protection errors
Date: 28 May 92 23:59:00 GMT

Several people, myself included, posted here saying that nothing they
compiled would run. The compile would work o.k., but when they execute
the program, it seg. faults with something like this:

general protection: 0000
EIP: 000f:00000114
EFLAGS: 00010202
ESP: 0017:03BFFBDC
fs: 0010
base: 2C000000, limit: 04000000
Stack: 000043D0 00000000 00000009 00007108
Pid: ..., process nr: 11
6f 9c 71 46 19 64 04 57 65 9d

Well, today I installed gcc 2.11c and now everything I compile works
fine. But I still don't know why it didn't work before. Could there be
an incompatibility between the 0.96 kernel and the old gcc 2.1?

BTW, kudos to Linus and everyone else who has worked on Linux.

Tim Nali \ "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
[email protected] \ the dreams" -Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Timothy L. Nali)

Subject: Missing scorefile for sokoban
Date: 29 May 92 00:02:59 GMT

I got sokoban to compile ok, but it complains about a missing scorefile.
I tried "touch highscore" in the right place, but that didn't work.
Sokoban won't run without a valid scorefile (it returns an error in
reading the scorefile). I don't feel like messing with the code right
now, so could someone please email me a valid scorefile or tell me how
to make one.
Thanks.

BTW, I'm using the source from tsx-11.mit.edu

From: [email protected] (Timothy L. Nali)

Subject: UMoria works...almost
Date: 29 May 92 00:14:11 GMT

I have an old version of moria (4.85 i think) ported to linux. It seems
to work except that it's buffering input. I have to hit 4 keys before
the program recieves any input. I remeber people having similar
problems with pcomm. This buffering makes the game unplayable.

Also, could someone tell me where I can get the source for the latest
version of moria. Thanks.

From: [email protected] (Bryan Curnutt)

Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 05:51:25 GMT

In article [email protected] (Ajay Shah) wri
tes:
>(Why is Sun's /usr/etc/shutdown program 25k long (and world unreadable??)?)

I don't know how much of the bloat this accounts for, but Sun's
/usr/etc/shutdown does a fair amount of work that isn't in a
simple "sync;sync;halt" procedure.

It parses its arguments and does conversions to find out when the
specified shutdown time occurs (you can specify times such as "now",
"+5", "23:45"). It also sends out messages at regular intervals to
everyone logged in, telling them that the system is going down. It
looks in /etc/xtab to see what hosts are mounting disks via NFS from
the machine being shut down, and sends messages to those machines so
those machines can notify users that the machine is being shut down.
Five minutes before shutdown (sooner if shutdown was invoked for a
time < 5 minutes into the future), it creates the file /etc/nologin
to disallow logins. And, of course, it uses syslogd to record messages
logging the shutdown.

Most of this is overkill if you're the only user on the machine.
--
Bryan Curnutt bryan%[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: Programming MouseMan mouse
Date: 29 May 92 02:25:26 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

I would like to program a M-CJ13 MouseMan mouse which uses Logitech
Mouseware version 6.0 mouse.com while starting/running X11.

This would be simple i.e.

echo -n 'char string' >/dev/ttys1 except don't know what strings to use.

I assume baudrates are *n thru *q I assume sample rates are JKLMN for
R?? thru R200.

I am most interseted what letters for MI (MICROSOFT) MP for microsoft
plus and also MM and 5 byte

If I could program the mouse, I hope I could get it to operate with
X386.

I experimented with random letter sequences. A letter I caused it to
almost behave in the X direction except direction was reversed.

Also interested in boff to turn off ballistics.

Thanks,

John

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Wen-Chun Ni)

Subject: Zip revisited
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 03:41:51 GMT

After getting gcc 2.12, I recompiled the PD zip programs. This time, it
almost works. No something like "internal logic error." But the "-r"
option doesn't work. After examining the /usr/include/dir*.h and /usr/include/
sys/dir*.h, I found that there seem to exist some inconsistencies between
the files. Would HJL explain this?

I also figure out this problem by gdb-ing the zip program. It just skips
whenever it encounters some subdirectories.

If this problem can be solved, the unzip program will be ported immediately.

Wen-Chun Ni

P.S. Too many #ifdef #endif in the source code are making my eyes strained.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Theodore Ts'o)

Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 03:53:09 GMT

From: [email protected] (Bob Doolittle)
Date: 28 May 92 19:10:48 GMT

Al's point was to make a branch of the newsgroup for each of what is
currently a channel of linux-activists as a starting point. This would
simplify life greatly. Then we can make more subgroups as the need arises
(SCSI would be a good candidate, although there may already be a channel in
linux-activists for this).

Keep in mind that it takes 60 days to create a new newsgroup --- 30 days
for discussion, 30 days for voting. By that time, the nead for a
particular channel may be long gone.

Keep in mind that the original use of at least the GCC was as a place
for beta testers could get frequent updates about the state of the
world. (And indeed GCC v2 up until very recently was changing almost

daily.) So to put that on a mailing list, separate from comp.os.linux
is somewhat reasonable.

Yes, yes, I know, Linux is still beta software. Personally, I would
have preferred to see all of the discussions which take place on
joker.cs.hut.fi channels take place on comp.os.linux instead, but
apparently some people seem to be more comfortable with a mailing list
instead. Sigh....

- Ted

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Daniel Brahneborg)

Subject: getty on the serial port?
Date: 29 May 92 00:57:22 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News Administrator)

After hours of trying, I've given up. Somebody wrote here that he had
managed to get getty to work with his modem. Could he (or somebody
else) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me exactly how he did it? I'd like
the complete /etc/inittab and /etc/rc, and maybe even a getty,
if you need another version than the one in the mcc-distribution (0.95c+).
Now I have 0.96a, but all the programs are still from 0.95c+.

If I put this entry in /etc/inittab:
tty64:vt100:/bin/getty -h 2400 ttys0
(I might have forgotten something, this is from memory)
I get a process that keeps sending stuff to the modem, but when noone
answers, it dies, and I get a new process.
When somebody calls he immediately get the data from getty, which
makes the modem hang up (it doesn't want anything to happen while
connecting). If I deleted the entry in inittab and started getty manually
right after I heard that the modem had connected, everything went fine.
That's not a very good solution, though.

/Basic

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\ When hacking : Basic /\ The best way to accelerate /
/ In the real world: Daniel Brahneborg \/ a M*c is with \
\ On the net : [email protected] /\ 9.82 m/s^2 /
/ Phone: +46 90 198198 Fax: +46 90 197085 \/ \
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Hi! I am a .signature virus. Copy me into your .signature to join in!

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Wen-Chun Ni)

Subject: Re: Zip revisited
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 04:40:20 GMT

After exchanging only one "#ifdef DIRENT" to "#ifndef DIRENT" in file
"fileio.c", if works. This is the logic for Linux ;-). Th other stuffs
are essentially the same as we have in Minix. I am doing comprehensive
checks. If it really works as perfectly as the Sun/MSDOS version, I will
upload it to tsx-11 as soon as possible. The same should apply to unzip
and I am doing the download right now.

Wen-Chun Ni

From: [email protected] (James L. Paul)

Subject: How to set up the shadow passwd files?
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 04:23:53 GMT

I have compiled and installed the tools in shadow.tar.Z from tsx-11.
These are the John Haugh password suite tools. The poster to the archive
didn't include his name or address in the package, as far I can see.

I've got the tools running and working, in a fashion. However, I'm
unable to find information about initial setup, such as creating the
needed files like shadow and gshadow. I've gotten things to work by
creating a shadow file by hand, but don't know the format for the
gshadow file.

I tried using mkpasswd on nshadow and npasswd after doing a pwconv,
but this created only empty files.

How do I create complete files in the proper formats?

--
James L. Paul

Internet: [email protected] | AppleLink: D1231 | CompuServe: 72767,3436
UUCP: {apple,amdahl}!netcom!james | GEnie: J.PAUL | Voice: 607 776-3070
Packet: N6SIW@WB2PSI.#WNY.NY.USA.NA | Delphi: JLPaul | Home Fax: 607 776-3070
America Online: JLPaul or Memorex | BIX: JLPaul | Prodigy: PWTB41A

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Charles Hedrick)

Date: 29 May 92 05:18:58 GMT

[email protected] (Kevin Cummings) writes:

>In the documentation that cam with the first version of KA9Q I got for
>LINUX, it was mentioned that KA9Q for LINUX was a port of a rather
>old version of KA9Q. It doesn't support all of the commands and
>options that the latest DOS version does. In particular, does this
>version of KA9Q support the TIP command? I find it useful to establish
>the initial modem link via TIP (and then reset the TIP session) ever since
>kermit started dropping DTR (or is that LINUX doing it when kermit
>finishes executing?) and causing the modem to disconnect. Come to think of
>it, KERMIT is doing the same thing for me under DOS as well (which is
>why I want to be able to use TIP under KA9Q).

I don't have a TIP command. In my view it makes more sense to use
Kermit. Kermit has good scripting and dialing facilities, so you can
set it up to dial for you. I'd rather not put that all into KA9Q. I
don't have any trouble with Kermit hanging up my phone. I've never
seen it on the DOS version. I do recall having to modify it on some
other version of Unix to have a command that would exit without
dropping DTR, but I haven't seen the problem with Linux. I'd rather
see Kermit fixed so it can exit without dropping DTR, rather than
duplicating Kermit's functionality within KA9Q.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (H.J. Lu)

Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 04:37:36 GMT

writes:

>After getting gcc 2.12, I recompiled the PD zip programs. This time, it
>almost works. No something like "internal logic error." But the "-r"
>option doesn't work. After examining the /usr/include/dir*.h and /usr/include/
>sys/dir*.h, I found that there seem to exist some inconsistencies between
>the files. Would HJL explain this?

First read the book. /usr/include/sys/dir.h is for SVR2, BSD4.2 and
XENIX only. No one in Linux should use it. Next time I will delete it
when a new gcc is out. Hi, guys, please do a

rm -f /usr/include/sys/dir.h

and fix your source code.

From: [email protected] (James Michael Chacon)

Subject: Binaries compiled under older versions of linux
Date: 29 May 1992 01:59:50 -0500

Just thought I'd post a quick note about this:

I downloaded gnuchess and tried to run it, and all I got were segmentation
errors. So, I downloaded the source, edited my curses.h to exclude HZ, and
recompiled. Now it works like a charm (i.e as I write this, It is beating
the pants off me on another tty). My advice to people having segmentation
faults on binaries they download, is to get the sources and cdiffs and recompile
Obviously some binaries that were compiled under older version of linux wont
work on 96a without recompilation. Granted, this should not be true, but
it happens when both the OS and the compiler upgrade. Anyone else that wants to
add on to this is welcome.

----------------------- ---------------------------

From: [email protected] (Ajay Shah)

Date: 29 May 1992 00:20:40 -0700
Sender: [email protected] (Ajay Shah)

[email protected] (James Michael Chacon) writes:

>Obviously some binaries that were compiled under older version of linux wont
>work on 96a without recompilation. Granted, this should not be true, but
>it happens when both the OS and the compiler upgrade.

If it's not too much to ask, could we also promote a style where the
person who creates the binary .tar.Z includes a short note defining
the OS and compiler version he used? That would save some trouble.

(I found elvis drops core... could this be the cause?)

-ans.

From: [email protected] (Anthony Rumble)

Subject: Re: Minix-ZModem
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 09:02:05 GMT

[email protected] (Michael Kraehe) writes:

>Hy folks,

>I wanna port my MausTausch (a pointprogram with is based on ZModem) from
>Minix->Linux, and it works nearly ok.

>When I sz a textfile all right, but sz of compressed files give me :

>general protection: 0000
>EIP: 000f:00000114
>EFLAGS: 00010202
>ESP: 0017:03BFFBDC
>fs: 0010
>base: 2C000000, limit: 04000000
>Stack: 000043D0 00000000 00000009 00007108
>Pid: ..., process nr: 11
>6f 9c 71 46 19 64 04 57 65 9d

>Can anybody explain to me what this mean, and how to use it as a debugging
>information. Perhaps sombody portet Minix-ZModem to Linux and can tell me
>where the BUG is. rz of compressed files works fine ????

yes.. This looks like the same problem I was getting before..

This can be fixed by getting the latest GCC (Errm.. 2.1? should do)
And recompiling SZ (I have 3.14 which compiles fine with option SYSVr3)

Then it works fine after that..

Anthony Rumble

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Gerard A. Allan)

Subject: BOOT/KEYBOARD problem
Date: 29 May 92 09:05:59 GMT

Boot problem

I've tried to boot my PC clone (DX-33MHz,4MB RAM,3.5in floppy,AMIBIOS)
using a number of different verions of boot disk (from 95c+ and up)
but always get the same problem.
(the boot disk works fine on an Elonex SX-25Mhz)

The keyboard does not appear to work eg when asked to type return it has
no effect. I can get an "any other key" by pressing the "print screen"
key but after that I'm stuck since I can't type return to load the root
disk.

Has anyone had similar problems and more importanly is there some fix.

Thanks

Gerry
(this is a bit depressing since I bought the pc to run linux)

Gerard A. Allan | Post: EMF
[email protected] | Kings Buildings
JANET:[email protected] | University of Edinburgh
Internet:gaa%[email protected] | Edinburgh
EARN/BITNET:gaa%castle.ed.ac.uk@UKACRL | Scotland
UUCP:gaa%[email protected] | EH9 3JL

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Matt)

Subject: Gcc2.1 ... Problems with admin utils
Date: 28 May 92 20:08:09 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News Owner)

There seems to be problem with the admutil-1.0.tar.Z, I cann't link
these,it firstly gives warnings of conflicting types in strings.h and
then falls over while trying to compile shutdown.c giving :

shutdown.c:240: TIOCLINUX undeclared

And while trying to link :-

undefined symbol : ___stderr refence from text segment

Cheers

--
---
Matthew Roderick /Email: [email protected] | \ //\ |`. |

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Bluebeard)

Subject: Linux swapping
Date: 28 May 92 20:11:20 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News Owner)

I have 2megs of memory and 4megs of swap.

Does this give me a total of 6megs or only 4 ?

A unix expert, told me that the actual memory maps onto the swap, so only the
swap space above the system memory is available.
Is this true on linux ?

I'm considering upgrading to 4meg of RAM, but as I've only got a 40meg
partition, I wasn't intending to increase the swap space.

Thanks for any info on the above.

--
* FLESH: Charlie Freckleton * JANET: [email protected] *
* ALIAS: Bluebeard * or : [email protected] *

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dylan Smith)

Subject: More problems...
Date: 29 May 92 09:02:52 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet poster for nntp (tj - 17/12/91))

Hello all,

I've got a working Linux system on my 386, and most things work (including
GCC 2.1) However, I have one or two problems.

tcsh dosen't work properly - I can only get the last command in command
history and none before it, and if I run a program (for example) fsck,
and I need to press a key, it dosen't do anything unless I press it a lot
of times. Bash works fine though, and exhibits none of these problems.

Gnuplot dosen't work very well, the only thing that works is world.demo
(and that bombs out when it finishes.) I keep getting this message :
d9ff fxxx not implemented
Illegal instruction.

Rogue thinks I am root regardless of what user I log on as

Tetris never displays the high score table.

I'm positive this isn't anything to do with the faulty 'tar' on the 0.95
rootimage - I've got the old 0.12 tar. Plus I didn't use tar to extract
these things (apart from gnuplot) on my machine, instead I extracted them
on one of our Sun4's, then zipped them, then used unzip to get them out
when I got home. I compiled the last two (rogue and tetris) from source
(got from tsx-11).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Email : JANET [email protected] | Everywhere else [email protected]

From: [email protected] (Werner Almesberger)

Subject: Re: Floppy patches (experimental)
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 09:56:01 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] wr
ites:
> Before you patch the kernel to fix this problem, I suggest you check your
> termination packs on your floppies... If they're not correct, then you'll
> experience the problem above.

Hmm ... does incorrect termination only break the media changed signal or
does it break drive selection (and possibly many other things too) ? If
it's only the media changed line, then bad termination may indeed be the
reason why people see this problem.

I haven't received any feedback on my patch yet, so I suspect that nobody
has tried it yet. Could somebody who has experienced any of the following
problems please apply it and tell me whether it helps or not ?

1) Problem: Floppy X is mounted and data is written to it. Floppy X is
unmounted and replaced by floppy Y (in the same physical drive). Now,
floppy Y appears to contain a partial copy of the data of X.
Diagnosis: The media changed line doesn't seem to work on some drives.
Therefore, the kernel doesn't know when to flush its caches and
carries cached data to the new media.
Fix: My patch adds a possibility to (manually) tell the floppy driver
that a media change has occurred. (See my previous posting in this
thread.)

2) Problem: 360kB ("PC") drives are unusable with 0.96 kernels.
Diagnosis: this might be caused by an invalid signal on the media
changed line. (Old drives use that line to indicate whether the
drive is ready. They don't have a media change detection.)
Fix: The patch disables automatic media change detection for 360kB
drives. The command setfdprm -d /dev/whatever has to be issued when
the disk is changed.

The patch is on banjo.concert.net in pub/Linux/Incoming/fd-misc.tar.Z

- Werner

From: [email protected] (Peter Orbaek)

Subject: Re: getty on the serial port?
Date: 29 May 92 09:42:25 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Peter Orbaek)

[email protected] (Daniel Brahneborg) writes:

>After hours of trying, I've given up. Somebody wrote here that he had
>managed to get getty to work with his modem. Could he (or somebody
>else) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me exactly how he did it? I'd like
>the complete /etc/inittab and /etc/rc, and maybe even a getty,
>if you need another version than the one in the mcc-distribution (0.95c+).
>Now I have 0.96a, but all the programs are still from 0.95c+.

You must tell your modem to shut up. It should be set to non-echoing mode,
and be told not to answer "OK" to every thing. This will confuse getty.

Maybe you should also remove the /etc/issue file.

>If I put this entry in /etc/inittab:
>tty64:vt100:/bin/getty -h 2400 ttys0
>(I might have forgotten something, this is from memory)
>I get a process that keeps sending stuff to the modem, but when noone
>answers, it dies, and I get a new process.
>When somebody calls he immediately get the data from getty, which
>makes the modem hang up (it doesn't want anything to happen while
>connecting). If I deleted the entry in inittab and started getty manually
>right after I heard that the modem had connected, everything went fine.
>That's not a very good solution, though.

You may also want to get the modemctl.tar.Z package, it will talk to your
modem and start getty after someone has connected.

You can ftp the package from ftp.daimi.aau.dk:/pub/Linux-source

You may also want to get hold of uugetty...

- Peter.
--
Peter Orbaek ----------------- [email protected] | ///
Hasle Ringvej 122, DK-8200 Aarhus N, DENMARK | ///
| \\\///
"Strong typing is for people with weak memories" | \XX/

[next article]
From: [email protected] (David Giller)

Subject: Re: Programming MouseMan mouse
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 10:09:28 GMT

[email protected] wrote:
>I would like to program a M-CJ13 MouseMan mouse which uses Logitech
>Mouseware version 6.0 mouse.com while starting/running X11.
>
>If I could program the mouse, I hope I could get it to operate with
>X386.

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't there a setting for 'mouseman'
in the Xconfig?

Also, something interesting: 'mousesystems' and 'busmouse' seem to be
the same. I can use either on my Logitech MouseMan Bus mouse and it
works fine.

-Dave
--
David Giller, Box 134 | Q: How many Oregonians does it take to screw in a light
Occidental College | bulb? A: Three. One to replace the bulb, and two to

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Michael O'Reilly)

Subject: Re: More problems...
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 10:46:59 GMT

[email protected] (Dylan Smith) writes:
: Hello all,
:
: I've got a working Linux system on my 386, and most things work (including
: GCC 2.1) However, I have one or two problems.
:
: tcsh dosen't work properly - I can only get the last command in command
: history and none before it, and if I run a program (for example) fsck,
: and I need to press a key, it dosen't do anything unless I press it a lot
: of times. Bash works fine though, and exhibits none of these problems.
Try
'set history=20' in tcsh. The reason you only get the last command is
that you haven't told tcsh to save more. Bash does this because the root
disk is distributed with a .bashrc that sets up the history.

.tcshrc is the file to put the about command in.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Branko Lankester)

Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 10:57:39 GMT

[email protected] (Bob Doolittle) writes:

>Actually, it's slightly (but importantly!) more complex. First it sends a
>signal SIGTERM (15) to all processes and waits for them to die, then if
>they stuck around it sends a SIGKILL (9) which is uncatchable.

I have these lines in my halt/reboot script:

trap "" 1 15
kill -TSTP 1
kill -15 -1 2>/dev/null
sleep 3
kill -9 -1 2>/dev/null
sleep 1

if kill -9 -1 2>/dev/null
then
echo "WARNING: some process(es) wouldn't die"
fi
sync

You need a shell with a builtin kill for this (bash, ksh), and you
must run it as root.

Branko

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ron Daisy)

Subject: Interaction between the DOS and Linux partition - a problem.
Date: 29 May 92 10:51:13 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I installed Linux on a 80Mb HD on a part of about 20Mb.
(The partition was 60M for DOS and 20M for Linux)
When I loaded DOS and type dir, I saw that there is about 80Mb
free space on the HD. (There was no program installed on the DOS
part at that time)
When I added some stuff to the DOS part (about 60Mb stuff)
and later try to load Linux I have got "kernel panic".
My question is:

Is there interaction between the two parts of the partitioned
HD?

Why do DOS "see" ~80Mb free space even if its part is about 60Mb?

What can I do to prevent DOS to invade to the Linux part?

(My machine is 386 dx 40MHz )

Wating for an answer...
Thanks a lote.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Peter Thomson)

Subject: help quick problem I think (I know !)
Date: 29 May 92 12:52:36 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Hi guys, I had a bad system crash ( don't know the reason for it yet)
but I lost the complete disk :-(.

Anyway I've just about got the system up again, but I'm having problem
getting gcc (ver 2.1) to understand where ld is.

I have ld in both /bin & /usr/bin but each time I try to compile anything
I get the following message

gcc can't exec ld (or something along those lines)

Any Ideas anybody

Thanks in advance Peter.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jay Lawrence)

Subject: X -> can't access display 0:
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 13:55:32 GMT

I have gotten X up and running on my system with little trouble!
Later I will post my Xconfig info for my system (I am not near
my machine).

Anyway, xinitrc works for the most part. I get xclock and xterm
find, twm starts up. But then if I want to run any more xprograms
I get an error to the effect of can't access display 0:. What
have I done wrong? Well, I have set the /usr/X386/bin/* to root/root.
My environment has DISPLAY="0:". I can't think of anything else.
Hmmm.

Next question, how _exactly_ do I join the xwindows mailing list???
(Perhaps listing the command to get the different topics from the
mailing list - ie/ send a command such as 'topics' to linux-activists-
requests ... or list them in the help file?)

Thanks for the great system that has been put together guys! I hope
that I can be of some help in the future!!!

Jay Lawrence
UWaterloo

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jerry Weiler)

Subject: Re: X -> can't access display 0:
Sender: [email protected] (NETnews )
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 16:30:42 GMT

waterloo.ca (Jay Lawrence) writes:
I have gotten X up and running on my system with little trouble!
Later I will post my Xconfig info for my system (I am not near
my machine).

My environment has DISPLAY="0:".

Well, that's your problem... The syntax is DISPLAY="machinename:displaynumber"

So, you should have DISPLAY=":0"
"unix:0" should also work, but that's old style. just use ":0"

Then when you use hostname (I have '/bin/hostname Linux' in my /etc/rc),
you should be able to say something like DISPLAY="Linux:0"

Next question, how _exactly_ do I join the xwindows mailing list???
(Perhaps listing the command to get the different topics from the
mailing list - ie/ send a command such as 'topics' to linux-activists-
requests ... or list them in the help file?)

send mail to [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (n.h.chandler)

Subject: Source for fsck
Date: 29 May 92 15:49:54 GMT

I've looked on tsx and banjo and couldn't determine where
to find "fsck.c". Would some kind soul point me in the
right direction? Thank you.

Neville H. Chandler
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (James L. Paul)

Subject: Re: Linux swapping
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 15:05:25 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Bluebeard) w
rites:

>I have 2megs of memory and 4megs of swap.
>
>Does this give me a total of 6megs or only 4 ?
>
>A unix expert, told me that the actual memory maps onto the swap, so only the
>swap space above the system memory is available.
>Is this true on linux ?
>
>I'm considering upgrading to 4meg of RAM, but as I've only got a 40meg
>partition, I wasn't intending to increase the swap space.
>

>Thanks for any info on the above.

As another Linux beginner, I'd like to hear the answer to this too.
My question is, does Linux swap or page? The use of the term swap is
prevalent in Linux (ie, swap space, swapon) but I also saw descriptions
of swap space given in pages?

Most modern unixes page, not swap. Is linux among them?

BTW, My understanding is this: Swapping involves management at the
process level, and each active process must be fully in physical ram.
This limits efficiency, since memory available to be swapped out is
limited to that of inactive processes. Paging happens at a lower
level, and makes it possible (although slower) to keep only part of
an active process in physical ram. Since paging requires memory
management hardware to be effective, and Linux needs the 386 for
this, I'm guessing that Linux uses paging, not swapping. Do I have
this right? (And is demand paging different from paging? How?)

From: [email protected] (Steve Chapin)

Date: 29 May 92 16:02:07 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

}} In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (James L. Paul) writes
:
}}
}} BTW, My understanding is this: Swapping involves management at the
}} process level, and each active process must be fully in physical ram.
}} This limits efficiency, since memory available to be swapped out is
}} limited to that of inactive processes. Paging happens at a lower
}} level, and makes it possible (although slower) to keep only part of
}} an active process in physical ram. Since paging requires memory
}} management hardware to be effective, and Linux needs the 386 for
}} this, I'm guessing that Linux uses paging, not swapping. Do I have
}} this right? (And is demand paging different from paging? How?)

There is a third possibility: paging and swapping. You demand page
each process, and when you notice that your page fault rate is too
high, you reduce the contention by swapping all the in-memory pages
for a process out to the swap device. Later, when the page fault rate
drops, you can swap (at least part) of the process back in.

SunOS does both swapping and paging.

}} James L. Paul

[email protected] Steve Chapin Today's Grammar Lesson:
"If you loose your arrow, you're likely to lose it in the weeds,"
was often heard in days of yore.

If I don't want it in my back yard, I don't want it.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ian Wells)

Date: 29 May 92 14:48:27 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The news facility)

n.ac.il (Ron Daisy) writes:

I installed Linux on a 80Mb HD on a part of about 20Mb.
(The partition was 60M for DOS and 20M for Linux)
When I loaded DOS and type dir, I saw that there is about 80Mb
free space on the HD. (There was no program installed on the DOS
part at that time)
When I added some stuff to the DOS part (about 60Mb stuff)
and later try to load Linux I have got "kernel panic".

You seem to have made your partitions overlap. The partition table is
not designed well enough to prevent this if you get something wrong.
So your 20MB Linux partition is taking the same disk space as the last
20MB of your 80MB partition (use fdisk under either OS to confirm
this, but that's what it sounds like). If that's the case, thenyour
Linux partition will be trashed, and there will be no space to make a
new one since the DOS partition is taking up the whole of disk. The
answer is to remove both partitions (after backing up what you want to
keep, assuming it's still OK) and recreate both partitions, making
sure that they both fit on disk and they don't occupy the same amount
of space.
What did you partition your disk with? Most programs are careful to
prevent this.

Ian.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Steve Chapin)

Date: 29 May 92 16:30:54 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

}} In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Steve Chapin) write
s:
}}
}} SunOS does both swapping and paging.

I should have said,

For example, SunOS does both swapping and paging. I haven't looked at
the Linux source to see exactly what it does.

From: [email protected] (Chris)

Subject: TCP/IP for linux
Date: 29 May 92 12:12:32 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News Owner)

Can someone tell me is the tcp socket suite for ethernet available for linux
yet, and if it is, what do I need ??
(I ask this cos the ka9q package implies that it does)

If it is available, is it available for ne1000 ?

-Chris

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Paul Nakada)

Sender: [email protected] (Oracle News Poster)

Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 17:43:28 GMT

In article hedrick@dartagnan.
rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
[email protected] (Kevin Cummings) writes:

>In the documentation that cam with the first version of KA9Q I got for
>LINUX, it was mentioned that KA9Q for LINUX was a port of a rather
>old version of KA9Q. It doesn't support all of the commands and
>options that the latest DOS version does. In particular, does this
>version of KA9Q support the TIP command? I find it useful to establish
>the initial modem link via TIP (and then reset the TIP session) ever since
>kermit started dropping DTR (or is that LINUX doing it when kermit
>finishes executing?) and causing the modem to disconnect. Come to think of
>it, KERMIT is doing the same thing for me under DOS as well (which is
>why I want to be able to use TIP under KA9Q).

I don't have a TIP command. In my view it makes more sense to use
Kermit. Kermit has good scripting and dialing facilities, so you can
set it up to dial for you. I'd rather not put that all into KA9Q. I
don't have any trouble with Kermit hanging up my phone. I've never
seen it on the DOS version. I do recall having to modify it on some
other version of Unix to have a command that would exit without
dropping DTR, but I haven't seen the problem with Linux. I'd rather
see Kermit fixed so it can exit without dropping DTR, rather than
duplicating Kermit's functionality within KA9Q.

kermit/linux does drop DTR when kermit exits. The way I've been
using sz/rz is to use the kermit shell escape command to spawn
subprocesses.

so something like
kermit> ! net

should do it.

-Paul
--

Paul Nakada | Oracle Corporation | [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)

Date: 29 May 92 17:12:14 GMT

writes:

>>I have 2megs of memory and 4megs of swap.
>>
>>Does this give me a total of 6megs or only 4 ?

It gives you 6MB of memory (but remember that 1MB is used by the kernel).

>>A unix expert, told me that the actual memory maps onto the swap, so only the
>>swap space above the system memory is available.
>>Is this true on linux ?

This is true on some unixes (I think SunOS does it that way), but linux
uses swap as /additional/ memory. (well, one page of the swap-space is
used for the good-page bitmap and the swapspace signature).

>>I'm considering upgrading to 4meg of RAM, but as I've only got a 40meg
>>partition, I wasn't intending to increase the swap space.

I'd sertainly suggest upgrading to 4MB ram and 4MB swap: you'll notice
everything is much snappier, especially compiles.

>As another Linux beginner, I'd like to hear the answer to this too.
>My question is, does Linux swap or page? The use of the term swap is
>prevalent in Linux (ie, swap space, swapon) but I also saw descriptions
>of swap space given in pages?

Linux does only paging, no swapping in the meaning "write out one whole
process to disk".

The reason I have called it swapping is that linux used paging for
memory management on a low level from the first version (0.01), but
didn't page to disk at all until version 0.12 (well, there was a
testversion out for 0.11, but 0.12 was the first version that did it
"officially"). So when paging to disk came along, I called it swapping
to distinguish it from the memory management paging linux has done all
along.

> And is demand paging different from paging? How?

Demand-paging is really "demand-loading of executables" and is totally
independent of the page-swapping algorithms, although they obviously
have similarities. When linux starts up a process, no actual code space
is loaded: I let the page exceptions load in the executable as needed.
Thus linux demand-loads the code and initialized data it needs.

Demand-loading has a couple of very good points: (1) it simplifies the
exec system call, (2) it means page-sharing between processes that have
executed the same file is easy to implement, and (3) it cuts down on the
amount of memory required. When linux runs out of real memory, it
starts to look for pages it can swap out: but if it notices that the
page is clean, it just forgets about it, and demand-loads it when it's
needed again. That means the swap-file isn't needed as much, especially
when running big binaries like gcc, where the code-pages can be
demand-loaded as you wish.

Point (3) means that even without any swapspace, you can usually run
slightly larger programs than your memory setup would actually permit.
I've noticed this while running X and doing a kernel compile + something
else when I've forgotten to turn on swapping: free reports 0 pages
available, but things still work, although performance is of course
slightly down..

Linus

[next article]
From: [email protected] (R Michael McMahon)

Subject: libg.a and ld
Sender: [email protected] (C-News)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 17:55:20 GMT

Does anyone know the purpose of libg.a or where to get it? I was
getting link errors like "libg.a not found", and sure enough, I don't
have it. By doing an "ln -s <..>/libg++.a libg.a", everything seems
to work. I checked around on a Sun & an HP, and libg.a is only 68 bytes,
with no symbol list. What gives?

Also, "ld" doesn't work at all, while linking with "gcc" or "g++" does.
Might I need a new version of ld? BTW, I'm using gcc 2.11c.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Peter Brown)

Subject: Re: X video problems (STB Powergraph ERGO/Mitsubishi Diamond Scan)
Date: 29 May 92 15:33:14 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet Administration)

I have an STB powergraph, (I don't think its an ERGO), and a 16" diamond scan
monitor. I finally got a stable X picture last night. I got my timings from
the timings program. Yoou have to make sure that you feed timings a mode
number that corresponds to a mode with the same resolution as the one you
want. If you want I can mail you what I ended up with. My numbers are at home
though. Feel free to email with questions, I'll try to help.
Cntrl-Alt-+ and - hand my system to (actually, crash it). I did get a
mousesystems mouse working though.

.
|> Local : 104D, Bldg 17A Ma Bell : 205 730 7194(W) 464 080
6(H)
|> USNail : Intergraph Corp.,MS IW17A3 Fax : 205 730 7296
|> One Madison Industrial Park UUCP : uunet!ingr!b17a!guru!ra
mesh
|> Huntsville, AL 35894-0001 INTERNET : [email protected]
OM
.

--
Peter Brown -- Data General Corp. -- email: [email protected]
My views, thoughts, opinions and spelling errors are definitely my own!

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jaime Jofre)

Subject: X 1.0 can't find fixed font ERROR!!!!
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 19:01:08 GMT

I got the X 11.0 binaries today and after going through the installion, the
server complained that it coul not find the fixed fon, and that it could not
set the font paths? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jaime

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Pratip Mukherjee)

Subject: e-mail of a copy of FAQ
Date: 27 May 92 17:41:13 GMT

I have joined this group recently. I want to read the FAQ before asking any
simple and stupid question. The problem is that due to enormous volume of
posting it has been erased from my site and I may have to wait a long time
to get it. So can someone kindly e-mail me a copy of the most recent FAQ?
Thanks in advance.

[next article]
From: Anthony Lovell

Subject: Re: Need help with internal modem
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 09:28:40 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

NANCE)

> Hello all,
> I have just installed linux.96 on a PC wiht an internal modem, and I have
> no idea how to talk to the modem. Can anyone help me

Well if your modem is on com2 you can talk to it via /dev/ttys2
I don't know what comms binary you're using but if it's xc try
xc -l /dev/ttys2 (I think)
don't get to use mine much I have to redrive a friend's system
when he's in a good mood ,but I hope to have my own soon

--
Anthony Lovell |
|Itinerant Hackers of the World Unite
[email protected] |

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Joe Waters)

Subject: Question on MFM bad block management
Date: 29 May 92 21:18:44 GMT

Okay, here's my problem. I've got a 40 meg Priam MFM drive as my /usr drive -
there are some bad sectors on the disk. When I low-level formatted, they got
put into the bad track table on the drive... But I just started having
problems with bad blocks in Linux - I do a "fsck /dev/hdb1" and it runs for
a while and then either a) reports a HD I/O error (after a couple of HD
resets) or b) it crashes completely (if I'm in X11). Is there any way to
map out bad blocks if I know where they are? Recently I've been trying to
recompile the kernel but when I untarred a new version of the source into
/usr/src/linux, part of the source just happened to fall across those bad
blocks. Needless to say the kernel compile explodes. Before, I was trying
to get the new gcc2.11c onto my system and cpp untarred across bad blocks,
so that would die too... Is there any way to map these blocks out so that
the file system will save around them? Does the linux file system look at
the bad sector map hardcoded onto the drive at format time?

Thanks for any help. Other than those few HD problems, everything is running
exceptionally well; I'm impressed at the directions this OS is going. Thanks
for all the hard work, all the people who have been doing such ground-breaking
development....

Thanks,

Joe
--
/-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------\
| Joe Waters ("Falc") | "Most any problem can be solved with duct tape |

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Date: 29 May 92 20:53:35 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Bluebeard) w
rites:

>I have 2megs of memory and 4megs of swap.
>
>Does this give me a total of 6megs or only 4 ?
>
>A unix expert, told me that the actual memory maps onto the swap, so only the
>swap space above the system memory is available.
>Is this true on linux ?

You "Unix expert" is hopelessly narrow minded in that he gave a
response appropriate for (I'll make an assumption here) 4.3 BSD.
4.4BSD, Linux, Mach, and inumerable other operating systems are not
bound by it.

2 megs real memory + 4 megs swap = 6 megs.

>I'm considering upgrading to 4meg of RAM, but as I've only got a 40meg
>partition, I wasn't intending to increase the swap space.

You don't have to.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Date: 29 May 92 21:04:27 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

writes:

>>I have 2megs of memory and 4megs of swap.
>>
>>Does this give me a total of 6megs or only 4 ?
>>
>>A unix expert, told me that the actual memory maps onto the swap, so only the
>>swap space above the system memory is available.
>>Is this true on linux ?
>>
>>I'm considering upgrading to 4meg of RAM, but as I've only got a 40meg
>>partition, I wasn't intending to increase the swap space.
>>

>As another Linux beginner, I'd like to hear the answer to this too.
>My question is, does Linux swap or page? The use of the term swap is
>prevalent in Linux (ie, swap space, swapon) but I also saw descriptions
>of swap space given in pages?

Linux pages, but in the vernacular, the two are interchangeable,
and I'll assume that Bluebeard meant "paging".

>Most modern unixes page, not swap. Is linux among them?

Linux pages.

>BTW, My understanding is this: Swapping involves management at the
>process level, and each active process must be fully in physical ram.
>This limits efficiency, since memory available to be swapped out is
>limited to that of inactive processes. Paging happens at a lower
>level, and makes it possible (although slower) to keep only part of
>an active process in physical ram. Since paging requires memory
>management hardware to be effective, and Linux needs the 386 for
>this, I'm guessing that Linux uses paging, not swapping. Do I have
>this right? (And is demand paging different from paging? How?)

You are correct. Demmand paging is where you don't load
all of the executable when you exec(), instead you load pages
as you touch them. This increases the exec() speed, as well as reducing
real memory usage.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Darren Senn)

Subject: Re: Bug in 96a
Date: 29 May 92 22:06:35 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (James Mic
hael Chacon) writes:
> 2) The error messages from above do not go to the tty they occured on.
> They are output on the current tty. This is a problem when I am editing on
> one tty and using the cp command from above on another. Those error message
> shouldn't appear on my tty, they should go on the tty that caused them
> I may look into this problem, but it doesn't appear on any other errors,
> so it isn't immediate

Those error messages are kernel errors, printed by such functions as printk().
I consider it a feature that kernel errors appear regardless of your current
VC.

From: [email protected] (Rick Sladkey)

Subject: Re: libg.a and ld
Sender: [email protected] (Rick Sladkey)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 23:42:04 GMT

chad> Does anyone know the purpose of libg.a or where to get it? I was
chad> getting link errors like "libg.a not found", and sure enough, I don't
chad> have it. By doing an "ln -s <..>/libg++.a libg.a", everything seems
chad> to work. I checked around on a Sun & an HP, and libg.a is only 68 bytes,
chad> with no symbol list. What gives?

Create an empty libg.a in /usr/lib. The following will work.

ar cr libg.a /dev/null
ar d libg.a /dev/null

chad> Also, "ld" doesn't work at all, while linking with "gcc" or "g++" does.
chad> Might I need a new version of ld? BTW, I'm using gcc 2.11c.

Try using "gcc -v" to see the ld command that is normally run. The libraries
are in odd places. Try it for both "gcc -v" and "gcc -v static." Mimic
what you see happening there.
--
Rick Sladkey
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (David.L.)

Subject: fdformat
Date: 29 May 92 15:28:31 PDT

Hi

Finally got 0.96 & gcc2.11c ;-} to 'be'

Compiled 'fdformat.c' and ran it on 1.44 & 1.2 Mb. diskettes ๐Ÿ™‚ happy me ๐Ÿ™‚
BUT - the results are unreadable by mtools or dos ๐Ÿ™

????
--
----> [email protected]
David L.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Michael Pereckas)

Subject: Re: fdformat
Sender: [email protected] (Net Noise owner)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 01:29:04 GMT

[email protected] (David.L.) writes:

>Compiled 'fdformat.c' and ran it on 1.44 & 1.2 Mb. diskettes ๐Ÿ™‚ happy me ๐Ÿ™‚
>BUT - the results are unreadable by mtools or dos ๐Ÿ™

fdformat only low-level formats the disk. It does not write any
filesystem information. To use the fdformated disk for a DOS filesystem,
run mformat on the disk. Mformat writes DOS filesystem information to
the disk, but does not low-level format it. To put a Linux filesystem
on the disk, use mkfs.

Michael Pereckas

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Mike Kiefer)

Subject: Please post FAQ
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 00:17:22 GMT

There have been several requests for the FAQ list lately. Could
someone post it please.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike Kiefer
[email protected]

--
Mike Kiefer
C&L - AAFES: is30hq2@asapdev

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: cacheing IDE controllers anyone?
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 02:13:16 GMT

I just installed a caching IDE controller in a customers machine, and it seems
to be quite nice. ๐Ÿ™‚ It has support for 4 floppies(does linux?) and 2 IDE's.
It has read-only cache(using SIMM's), writes go straight to disk. This got me
to thinking how much I would like haveing a 4MB cache for my hd. Has anyone
tried this yet? If so, does it work with linux? (I would have tried, but I
had to deliver the system) ๐Ÿ™

Also, What is the best/fastest video card for Linux(X)?
I beleive that the dream linux machine(as of right now) is a 486-50,
REAL BIG HD, (scsi or IDE), 20" minimum non-interlaced monitor, and best ET400
err, ET 4000 card you can find.(I find that it is VERY difficult to read
X fonts on my 14" monitor, and as soon as I can, I am going to get a BIG (TM)
monitor >=20"
If anyone has anything better than the above, please e-mail. ๐Ÿ™‚
(I am stuck with a 386-33, 100MB, 4MB, 14" non-interlaced ACER 25, BOCA SVGA
w/ET4000AX and 1MB, terminal on ttys4, pc on ttys2, modem on ttys3, mouse on
ttys1, 1.44 fd0, 1.2 fd1, 360 waiting to be fd2) ๐Ÿ™‚

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: serial FAQ list
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 02:16:44 GMT

This is the FAQ.serial file for FAQ dealing with Linux serial.
Many thanks to Michael K. Johnson, for help and corrections. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you have any suggestions, corrections, additions, e-mail me
at [email protected]
-Jim

QUESTION: Is there a list somewhere where I can get help with serial
communications under Linux?

ANSWER: (Jim Gifford -- [email protected])
There is a new list for the discussion of serial communications under
Linux. It is for problems, drivers, new developments, etc... with
the Linux serial devices. The list is: [email protected]
To join, send mail to [email protected]
I hope that this list will prove beneficial to the improvement of
Linux. This list is maintained by Michael K. Johnson as
[email protected]

QUESTION: When I run kermit under Linux, I get "Warning, Read access
to lock directory denied". What am I doing wrong?

ANSWER: Nothing, you just need to create /usr/spool/uucp (kermit 4.6?)
or /usr/spool/locks (this is for the kermit5A), which is where kermit
like to lock files.

QUESTION: What are the major, minor numbers for the serial ports under linux?

ANSWER: Major 4, Minor :
64 /dev/ttys1 - com1
65 /dev/ttys2 - com2
66 /dev/ttys3 - com3
67 /dev/ttys4 - com4

QUESTION: can anyone give me a sample /etc/inittab entry for login
from a pc attached to serial line /dev/ttys2?

ANSWER: "Humberto speaking :)"
First set up the modem to turn off echo and enable auto answer, I do
this in kermit by connecting to the modem and typing "ate0s0=1"
followed by enter (w/o quotes). Then setup inittab to spawn getty on
the modem
ttys2:console:/etc/getty -m 1200 ttys2

Then it should work. Some modems can be permanently set to disable
echo and set auto answer, see your manual.

Jim Weigand says:
disable all messages. This will prevent getty from hanging up
your modem.
Set For:
ATE0 No echo
ATQ1 No messages
ATS0=2 Answer 2nd ring
ATS7=60 1 minute to answer (shorter if 2400 baud)
You can use kermit to set these. Do an AT&W to save for power-up.

Michael K. Johnson says:
If you would rather not save these commands as defaults to come up
on power-up, perhaps because you want to use your current modem
settings under a DOS communications package, you can also shove
these command out ttys? from /etc/rc (or /etc/rc.local) using
the command:
echo "" > /dev/ttys?

QUESTION:
How do I set parameters like parity for serial login?

ANSWER: Use stty and redirect output to serial line.
ex: stty parodd > /dev/ttys2 which gives ttys2 odd parity. type stty
by itself to get an idea of possible parameters.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Bill Pardee)

Subject: X386 blues on a Compaq
Sender: [email protected] (News)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 21:10:13 GMT

A couple days ago I downloaded linux and got it running on my Compaq 386/20e.
It's got 9 meg of ram but I still added 10 meg of swap. Then I was already to
to get X running, but I ran into some difficulty. I read Peter Hawkins
X assistance post but I'm still cornfused.

Configuration:

Compaq 386/20e
9 meg of ram
NEC/MultiSync 3D
Linux 0.96a

What are the proper setting for the builtin VGA card on a Compaq? I've tried
the default setting for the graphics driver and all it does it writes some
startup info and the screen go black. I can't even go to any other pttys so
I have to alt-cntl-del. Has anybody else tried getting X to run on a
Compaq. Then again I've also been wondering if my mouse (Logitech mouse
CJ13) is causing problems. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Here's my Xconfig

Logitech "/dev/ttys1"
BaudRate 1200
# SampleRate 150
# Emulate3Buttons

#
# The graphics drivers
#
vga256
Virtual 640x480
ViewPort 0 0
Modes "640x480"
Clocks 25 28

ModeDB
# clock horzontal timing vertical timing
"640x480" 25 640 672 768 800 480 490 492 525
28 640 672 768 800 480 490 492 525

# "800x600" 36 800 816 952 1056 600 608 610 633
# 36 800 832 966 966 600 600 609 631
# 39 800 872 968 1104 600 600 606 624
# 39 800 864 896 1008 600 600 606 624

# "920x690" 62 920 952 1088 1168 690 688 718 724

# "1024x768i" 44 1024 1064 1224 1264 768 777 785 817 Interlace
# 45 1024 1064 1224 1264 768 777 785 817 Interlace
# "1024x768" 62 1024 1092 1220 1344 768 786 791 810
# 62 1024 1096 1272 1328 768 776 778 808
# 62 1024 1072 1176 1272 768 778 779 804
# 62 1024 1072 1200 1240 768 766 782 786

# "1152x900" 62 1152 1184 1288 1360 900 898 929 939 Interlace

--
Bill Pardee
Martin Marietta Information Systems

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Derrick C. Cole)

Subject: Re: Question on MFM bad block management
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 00:36:59 GMT

I'm having the same exact trouble (but with different files.)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Derrick

--
"Graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with a major in
Physical Education, Recreation or Business and one year experience in the

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jim Burns)

Subject: Re: Source for fsck
Date: 30 May 92 03:10:03 GMT

in article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (
n.h.chandler) says:

> I've looked on tsx and banjo and couldn't determine where
> to find "fsck.c". Would some kind soul point me in the
> right direction? Thank you.

Anon ftp to ftp.mcc.ac.uk:dsk/pub/linux/mcc-interim/0.95c+/sources, file
misc.tar.Z.

From: [email protected] (The Crouton Man)

Subject: Re: showpgm.c -- grey scale veiwer. -- greyscale gif veiwer!
Date: 30 May 92 03:44:31 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

another semi-related comment:

in vgalib, you should probably change it so that it reads from /dev/tty
rather than from stdin for vga_getch. otherwize, when you read a
pix from stdin, it will exit imeadiately apon finishing drawing.

to do this (i have made so many other changes to my vgalib to get
it to work with my dead card that it doesn't make sense to diff it)
you need to add a global variable like tty_fd, in init(), add a couple
lines that open this fd (and check for error condition, just copy and
modify the lines for /dev/mem or something), and change the vga_getch()
to read from that fd rather than from stdin. i did this with read(),
but it might be nicer to do it all with streams in which case you should
probably use fopen(). also, it would be nice if the tty was set
to not echo using ioctl or whatever commands, but i haven't put these
in yet. (you will need atexit() to set it back again).

also, it would be nice if it caught sigint (and sigquit and so on)
and ignored them, or cleaned up after itself (read setmode(TEXT))
and exited nicely.

perhaps these changes could be made in the next release of the
vgalib???

hope this all helps.

croutons

[next article]
From: [email protected] (The Crouton Man)

Date: 30 May 92 03:27:43 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

i have written the following program based very heavily
on the showpbm (bitmap format --> black and white 1 bit only)
program by Michael Cain. it uses vgalib by [email protected]
(Tommy Frandsen) [ thanks MUCH ].

i use the G320x400x256 mode, as it is the best my dieing card
can do.. i haven't got the cash to get a new X-comapt card
and th moment due to car repairs..:(.

anyway, it works just like the pbm veiwer. it takes stdin or
a list of .pgm files (or without the .pgm..)

i compiled it with gcc.211c and Linux.096a.

technical aspects: it uses grey scale, but only 64 grey 'colours',
as the VGA regs are only 6 bit deep, rather than 8. i get around
this by mapping the vga-indecies to change on the mod-4 boundry.
i haven't tested it with pix with more than 255 grey 'colours', nor
with the format 'P2', but i have been using it with 'P5'.

to view gif files in grey: (better than not at all:)
get pbmplus from banjo.concert.net. compile it. if you don't have
a LOT of memory (or swap), you will not be able to compile the tiff
extentions. (i did it without swap, but it took all 16.3 Meg (i have
20Meg on board).

then just set up the pipeline:
giftoppm | ppmtopgm | showpgm

if you want it to go faster, convert the gif file to pgm format
then view it, but this takes a fair bit of disk space.

you need showpgm to be owned by root and setuid (chmod u+s), as it
uses the vgalib calls that use mmap and ioperm.

i hope to write showppm soon, with more features.. this one
only shows what it can show on the screen and forgets the rest.
i hope to get showppm to be able to kick out some versbose
stuff, and to be able to "drive" the image around the screen.

hope this all helps.

croutons

/* showpgm: show portable greyscale format file on VGA with vgalib.
*
* orignally showpbm, written by [email protected] (Michael Cain)
* heavily modified by Christopher Platt, The Crouton Man.
* [email protected], [email protected]
*
*/

#include
#include
#include
#include "vgalinux.h"

long bitmapWidth, bitmapHeight;
int xoffset, yoffset;
int windowWidth, windowHeight;
FILE *pgmopen();

main(argc,argv)
int argc;
char *argv[];
{
FILE *input;
extern void process();
int i;

if (argc == 1) process(stdin);
for (i=1; i input = pgmopen(argv[i]);
if (input == 0) {
fprintf(stderr,"showpgm: unable to open file %s\n",argv[
i]);
exit(1);
}
process(input);
}
fflush(stdin);
vga_getch();
vga_setmode(TEXT);
}

FILE *
pgmopen(name)
char *name;
{
FILE *file;
char scratch[128];

strcpy(scratch,name);
file = fopen(scratch,"rb");
if (file) return file;
strcat(scratch,".pgm");
file = fopen(scratch,"rb");
return file;
}

int
pattern[] = { 0x80, 0x40, 0x20, 0x10, 0x08, 0x04, 0x02, 0x01, };

void
process(file)
FILE *file;
{
int c, magic, x, xa, y, i, exitFlag, tmp, apx;
long sum, size, height, width, maxgrey;
extern void setpixel(), initWindow();

initWindow();

c = fgetc(file);
if (c != 'P') {
vga_setmode(TEXT);
fprintf(stderr,"showpgm: bad magic number\n");
exit(1);
}
c = fgetc(file);
if (c != '2' && c != '5') {
vga_setmode(TEXT);
fprintf(stderr,"showpgm: bad magic number\n");
exit(1);
}
magic = c;
c = fgetc(file);
while (isspace(c)) c = fgetc(file);
if (!isdigit(c)) {
vga_setmode(TEXT);
fprintf(stderr,"showpgm: looking for decimal width\n");
exit(1);
}
sum = c - '0';
c = fgetc(file);
while (isdigit(c)) {
sum = 10 * sum + (c - '0');
c = fgetc(file);
}
bitmapWidth = sum;
while (isspace(c)) c = fgetc(file);
if (!isdigit(c)) {
vga_setmode(TEXT);
fprintf(stderr,"showpgm: looking for decimal height\n");
exit(1);
}
sum = c - '0';
c = fgetc(file);
while (isdigit(c)) {
sum = 10 * sum + (c - '0');
c = fgetc(file);
}
bitmapHeight = sum;
while (isspace(c)) c = fgetc(file);
if (!isdigit(c)) {
vga_setmode(TEXT);
fprintf(stderr,"showpgm: looking for decimal maxgrey\n");
exit(1);
}
sum = c - '0';
c = fgetc(file);
while (isdigit(c)) {
sum = 10 * sum + (c - '0');
c = fgetc(file);
}
maxgrey=sum;
while (isspace(c)) c = fgetc(file);
xoffset = (windowWidth - bitmapWidth) / 2;
yoffset = (windowHeight - bitmapHeight) / 2;

tmp = (maxgrey / 64) + 1 ;
#define fix(i) (((i)%tmp)?0:1)
/* ASSUME 255 colour or LESS */
for(i = 0; i < maxgrey ; i++ )
vga_setpalette(i,i/tmp,i/tmp,i/tmp);

size = bitmapWidth * bitmapHeight;
x = 0;
xa = 0;
y = 0;

apx = 11 * windowWidth / windowHeight + 1;

if ( magic == '2' ) {
while (1) {
int readFlag;
readFlag = 1;
switch (c) {

case '0':
case '1':
case '2':
case '3':
case '4':
case '5':
case '6':
case '7':
case '8':
case '9':
sum = c - '0';
c = fgetc(file);
while (isdigit(c)) {
sum = 10 * sum + (c - '0');
c = fgetc(file);
}
if (!((x%11)+1)%apx) {
x++;
size--;
break;
}
vga_setcolor(sum);
vga_drawpixel(x,y);
size = size - 1;
x++;
if (x == bitmapWidth) {
x = 0;
y = y + 1;
}
break;

case '#':
while (c && c != '\n') c = fgetc(file);
readFlag = 0;
break;

case EOF:
vga_setmode(TEXT);
fprintf(stderr,"showpgm: unexpected EOF\
n");
exit(1);

default:
break;
}
if (size == 0) break;
if (readFlag) c = fgetc(file);
if (c == EOF) break;
}
if (file == stdin)
while ( c != EOF ) c = fgetc(file);
}

if ( magic == '5' ) {
while (1) {
vga_setcolor(c);
vga_drawpixel(xa,y);
size = size - 1;
if (((x%11)+1)%apx) {
if (c = fgetc(file) == EOF) {
break;
} else {
x++;
size--;
}
}
x++;
xa++;
if (x >= bitmapWidth) {
x -= bitmapWidth;
xa = 0;
y = y + 1;
}
if (size == 0) break;
c = fgetc(file);
if (c == EOF) break;
}
if (file == stdin)
while ( c != EOF ) c = fgetc(file);
}
}

void
initWindow()
{
vga_setmode(G320x400x256);
vga_setcolor(15);
windowWidth = 320;
windowHeight = 400;
}

void
setpixel(x,y)
int x;
int y;
{
x += xoffset;
y += yoffset;
vga_drawpixel(x, y);
}

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Wen-Chun Ni)

Subject: Tib
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 05:01:41 GMT

Has anyone ported the tib bibliography system to Linux? Thanx!

Wen-Chun Ni

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Wen-Chun Ni)

Subject: Zip and unZip
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 06:11:44 GMT

I have uploaded the binary version of zip to tsx-11. The source will show
up later. Since this is my first time, I don't know whether sending the
files to /incoming is correct. Also I hope somebody tell me whom I should
notify. Thanx!

The other note: I compiled the unzip source I got from wuarchive. No hassle.
This means you can get the source directly from the same site and compile
it. So I don't think it's necessary to get the file to tsx-11, unless somebody
request it.

Wen-Chun Ni

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Steve Z)

Date: 29 May 92 23:36:29 GMT

In article [email protected] (Daniel Brahneborg) writes:
>After hours of trying, I've given up. Somebody wrote here that he had
>managed to get getty to work with his modem. Could he (or somebody
>else) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me exactly how he did it? I'd like
>the complete /etc/inittab and /etc/rc, and maybe even a getty,
>if you need another version than the one in the mcc-distribution (0.95c+).
>Now I have 0.96a, but all the programs are still from 0.95c+.

I put a new getty/uugetty package (getty_ps) on tsx-11 recently.
There will be an announcement to this group when it is available.

>If I put this entry in /etc/inittab:
>tty64:vt100:/bin/getty -h 2400 ttys0
>(I might have forgotten something, this is from memory)
>I get a process that keeps sending stuff to the modem, but when noone
>answers, it dies, and I get a new process.

Sounds like your modem is talking back to getty, echoing what getty sends to
it for example. The original getty assumed a dumb modem, so you had to turn
off all echoing and command responses (to make your modem into a dumb one!)

getty_ps handles the modem responses, and even uses them to set the incoming
baud rate.

--
Steve Robbins -- iconoclast at large
"Dyslexics of the world, untie!"

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Vince Skahan)

Subject: linux newbie (should be) FAQs
Sender: [email protected] (System Security Officer)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 06:10:01 GMT

I've just gotten the mcc-interim release up on my 386-33 (8MB memory)
and firstly, the mcc install stuff is wonderful!!! Virtually plug-n-play
once I figured that fdisk wanted no extended partitions after the DOS
stuff and that it would make the linux partition(s) for me...

I have the following questions:
- mtools (etc.) doesn't seem to work right. I have the
harddisk on /dev/hda1, swap on hda2, and dos on hda3.
1.2 MB as a: and 1.44 MB as b:

what should my /etc/mtools file look like? I couldn't do
anything with it without running mformat first even though
the floppy was already dos-formatted. When mformat was
done, it was reporting over 2 MB on a 1.44 MB floppy, making
it unreadable from DOS (which is I thought why mtools exists ?)
Obviously, I have something screwy (?)

- ok, I have the binaries working and linux on the hard disk.
Now what ? How do I get all the goodies that are on PC
floppy into the linux partition ?

- I have an internal 2400 baud modem on COM2. What do I need in
my .kermrc to set it up ? show dial in kermit reports
modem unavailable.

- the mcc-interim release sets up the utilities floppy to be the
new boot floppy pointing to root on the hard-disk (cool...).
I have the 0.96a boot disk also. Should I be using that
rather than the mcc-interim ? How to set it up for root
on the hard-disk ?

- my system is SVGA but a cheapie card actually. Linux reports
that I can get into a couple SVGA 132xNN setups but when
I pick one, the monitor goes whacko...so I'm stuck at the
moment at 80x25. How do I go about looking into getting my
video into different modes that work ?

[next article]
From: kenc@sol (Ken Corey - Operator)

Subject: General Protection error?
Sender: [email protected] (UNT USENet Adminstrator)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 06:35:05 GMT

Hoping not to waste bandwidth, can someone tell me how to fix general
protection errors when I have just set the boot image to find root on the
hard drive?

My setup: 386-25, ST01 SCSI controller, ST296N drive. 40MB Linux partition.
I'm trying to boot bootimage.96a. When booting off floppy it works just great
and seems to like my system. (Once I figured out how to format the proper
partition)

When booting off the hard drive, I get all the way to the point when the login
prompt is given, and I get a general protection error 0000. After that,
everytime I try to log in, it happens again, and I'm dropped out to the login
prompt again.

Thanks in advance all.

-Ken

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Michael O'Reilly)

Subject: Re: linux newbie (should be) FAQs
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 07:11:13 GMT

[email protected] (Vince Skahan) writes:
: I've just gotten the mcc-interim release up on my 386-33 (8MB memory)
: and firstly, the mcc install stuff is wonderful!!! Virtually plug-n-play
: once I figured that fdisk wanted no extended partitions after the DOS
: stuff and that it would make the linux partition(s) for me...
:
: I have the following questions:
: - mtools (etc.) doesn't seem to work right. I have the
: harddisk on /dev/hda1, swap on hda2, and dos on hda3.
: 1.2 MB as a: and 1.44 MB as b:
/etc/mtools comes configured for 1.44 as a: and 1.2 as b:. To fix it,
rebuild your mtools to look like...
A /dev/fd0h1200 12 80 2 15
B /dev/fd1H1440 12 80 2 18
note also, that the hard disk entry in /etc/mtools will like need to be
edited. By default it comes with a 12 bit FAT. Mine is 16 so mine is...
C /dev/hda1 16 0 0 0

: - ok, I have the binaries working and linux on the hard disk.
: Now what ? How do I get all the goodies that are on PC
: floppy into the linux partition ?

Fix mtools, and use that to read the dos floppies. Note that mtools can
read your dos paritition if you have set it up right. See above.

: - I have an internal 2400 baud modem on COM2. What do I need in
: my .kermrc to set it up ? show dial in kermit reports
: modem unavailable.
You need to create the directory /usr/uucp/lock. (I think )
This is in the FAQ. FAQ is at tsx-11.mit.edu::pub/linux/something

: - the mcc-interim release sets up the utilities floppy to be the
: new boot floppy pointing to root on the hard-disk (cool...).
: I have the 0.96a boot disk also. Should I be using that
: rather than the mcc-interim ? How to set it up for root
: on the hard-disk ?
You use shoelace. cd to /shoe or /root/shoe, and look at the README in
that file. NOTE: shoelace is on the comp.disk part of the distribution.
Shoelace does away with the need for floppies at all. ๐Ÿ™‚ It boots
directly from the hard disk. It also gives you a boot menu, so you can
select which partition to boot. Ie. you can select DOS or Linux at boot
time.

: - my system is SVGA but a cheapie card actually. Linux reports
: that I can get into a couple SVGA 132xNN setups but when
: I pick one, the monitor goes whacko...so I'm stuck at the
: moment at 80x25. How do I go about looking into getting my
: video into different modes that work ?
Grin. Get the source. And bash it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think actually that the problem
might be your monitor. I think some monitors can't handle the higher
sync rate of the larger modes. I think. ๐Ÿ˜‰

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Pete Chown)

Subject: I have uploaded the system call based ps
Date: 30 May 92 02:17:05 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The news facility)

I have uploaded the version of ps that was discussed earlier to
banjo.concert.net (in the incoming directory, called ps.tar.Z). This
version of ps uses a system call to read the process structure, rather
than looking through /dev/kmem. This means that you don't need to
build up a psdatabase.

The files are also available for ftp from alpha.gnu.ai.mit.edu, in
directory tmp/pc, and called ps.tar.Z again. Note that for some
reason it is not possible to get a directory listing on alpha, but if
you know what a file is called you can download it nevertheless.
--
__________________________________________________ I look forward to the time
Pete Chown, mail [email protected] (Internet) | when machines do what we

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Paul Simundza)

Subject: Re: Linux on MicroChannel PS/2
Date: 30 May 92 09:01:20 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

The floppy version of .95a works great on my Ibm ps/2 Microchannel,
everything seems fine, booting and logging in, except I am limited
to floppy....

--
Paul Simundza | Cleve.Freenet: ae454.cwru.edu
| Compuserve: 71441.217.compuserve.com
| CSU(Internet): madnick.cba.csuohio.edu

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ceramic Mug)

Subject: NEED HELP in figuring what's needed for LINUX.
Sender: [email protected] (Net Noise owner)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 08:51:51 GMT

Hi, Thanks for reading my help request! I'm currently planning to
buy a new computer system, and I would like to know some system requirements
for the new LINUX (.96) and X.

Here're some facts: I don't want to waste too much money, but I'll
spend a couple hundred extra for things that'll seriously improve system
performance. I used to own a 386/40 system, but later sold it. But I didn't
sell the hard disk with that 386/40 system, and it's got a 40MB LINUX
partition on it. I also have a gray-scale VGA monitor and SVGA card and
4MB left over from the sale.

Ok, here's what I like to do with LINUX. I'd like to run X,
develop X applications, do some regular C development with the latest gcc,
run slip and kermit, YACC, and LEX. I don't mind waiting that much on
compiles (if you don't mind, I probably won't) and I don't have too much
money for new hard disk (but if you think I'll really need it, please, by
all means, tell me).

Here's what I'm planning on: another 386/40 board with my old HD
(125MB, LINUX has 40MB), 4 more MB RAM (making 8 total RAM), keep my
original display (i.e. gray-scale display), and buy a 387/20 or 25.

And here's what I'm worried about: The X for LINUX doesn't run
nicely on VGA gray-scale (i.e. it needs SVGA or for other reasons -- please
tell me); 8MB is not enough for LINUX and X and still be able to do some
development work; 40MB HD space is too small for LINUX and X and company
(I'm thinking about either giving it 20MB more from the same HD or buying
another 40MB HD for LINUX, what's the advantages/disadvantages in having 1
60MB partition or 2 40MB partitions).

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated! And I'll post a summary
if there's interest.

Please email (or post)!
-Ching

[next article]
From: [email protected] (The Crouton Man)

Subject: gcc2 code dieing on doubles?
Date: 30 May 92 03:58:50 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

has anyone else had problems with gcc producing bad code for
heavy math stuff. i don't have a mathco, so it might be in the
emulation.

i am running gcc2.11c, linux-96a.

following the debugger, i have found (on a rather complicated
program that is rather specialized.. i haven't traced it enough
to make a test program that also dies) that it doesn't update
double variables properly. this occurs mostly in optimized
code (-O, -O3), but also a little later in the program in non-optimized.

example:
y = (x/sqrt(epsilon)) - (step_y/4);

where y, x, and epsilon are all doubles and step_y is either double
or #defined to a float value.
this will not update the variable 'y' after it runs. infact, it
sometimes even skips the line following it. i have tried static
on the variables, various schemes for initializing the vars, etc..
i don't know.

i have seen something sorta similar on an RS/6000 with other code
(but also gcc2.1).

will this be fixed in gcc2.2, i hope?

later
croutons.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dylan Smith)

Date: 30 May 92 09:14:41 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet poster for nntp (tj - 17/12/91))

I (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:

>Haven't tested 386BSD, but I assume it will be pretty good in a month or
>two, and it's probably quite useable already. If you want NFS and full
>networking, it's the way to go. Comments, anyone?

I haven't used BSD - it said in the README file that a maths co-processor
is one of the minimum installation requirements. This means I can't run it
at all.

From: [email protected] (rdw)

Subject: screens cascading in X11!
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 04:34:52 GMT

I have been working w/ X11 for a couple of days now.
Everything seems to work except that my screen seems to cascade the
same picture about 4 times. I don't know if it is my card or
if I need to mess with my timings a little more. If anyone has any suggestions
I would greatly appreciate them.
Thanks in advance,
Ricardo Williams

[email protected]
[email protected]
--
Ricardo Williams

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Charles Hedrick)

Subject: kermit 5A is behaving inconsistently
Date: 30 May 92 09:36:40 GMT

I've recently started playing with kermit 5A, from binaries/usr.bin on
tsx-11.mit.edu. I'm interested in getting a script to work.
Unfortunately I find that it's hard to get this version of kermit to
work. Now and then it does. But most of the time, when I do a
"connect", it just comes right back to the kermit> prompt. If I
reboot the system, the first time, things will work, but then they
stop working. Any idea what's going on?

Also, a minor detail, but there are some CRLF's missing. When I type
commands like connect and take, the cursor stays at the end of the
command line, whereas it should echo the CR I type at the end of the
command.

I'm using 0.96a plus patch 1. The old kermit, version 4F I think,
works just fine all the time.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Wes Santee)

Subject: SHOE barfs!
Date: 30 May 92 12:21:18 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Netnews Owner)

'Lo netters:

After successfully bringing up my linux partition I attempted to
install SHOE so I could pick my partition at boot time.

Right now I have the 'interim' release of Linux v0.95c+ which
is already set up for shoe to be used.

After telling shoe what partiton Linux was on via the 'laceup _______ wini'
cmd I installed it with the 'laceup -w x _______' cmd to install to the
boot sector.

When the menu comes back up on boot, only my DOS partition will boot.
The linux partition hangs horribly. I don't even any screen output.
I read the FAQ and it just says how to install, not how to
troubleshoot SHOE. Same with the SHOE readme.

I've triple-checked that my command to laceup is correct (at least
how the README on the interim release says to do).

Any ideas on what to do? Playing with active partition flags, etc>

Any help is appriciated.

--
Wes Santee | "It all seems so stupid,
[email protected] | it makes me want to give up.
| But why should I give up, -Martin
| when it all seems so stupid." Gore

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Douglas E. Quale)

Subject: Re: serial FAQ list
Date: 30 May 92 15:50:08 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The News)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:

> This is the FAQ.serial file for FAQ dealing with Linux serial.
> Many thanks to Michael K. Johnson, for help and corrections. ๐Ÿ™‚
>
>QUESTION:
> How do I set parameters like parity for serial login?
>
>ANSWER: Use stty and redirect output to serial line.
> ex: stty parodd > /dev/ttys2 which gives ttys2 odd parity. type stty
> by itself to get an idea of possible parameters.

This has come up a couple of times already (including the case of
serial mice as well), but for the record stty acts on stdin not stdout.
Old stty's (from V7 through BSD4.3) used stdout, but this is suboptimal
and doesn't conform to POSIX. The GNU stty you are likely using on Linux
uses stdin, as does the stty distributed with BSD Networking Release 2.
(Also, ``stty -a'' is more informative about possible parameters, although
it's pretty hard for me to remember what 90% of that stuff does without
refering to the man page.)

--
Doug Quale
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Joel M. Hoffman)

Subject: swapping to a second HD. Better or worse?
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News system)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 16:30:05 GMT

I just purchased a second HD, which I'll devote entirely to Linux
(sure it's a free OS, but now I have to buy a second HD, and probably
an SVGA monitor....). It seems to me that I'll get better performance
if I put the swap partition on one HD, and Linux on the other. That
way, the Linux drive won't seek as much. Is there something I'm not
seeing? Is this a good idea?

Thanks.

-Joel
([email protected])

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Britt Park)

Subject: X11v1.0 dies.
Date: 30 May 92 16:31:40 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr News)

Has anyone else been having difficulties getting X11 v1.0 running? V0.1
had been running beautifully. On startup, hewever, with v1.0, X386
goies into graphics mode just fine and in a few seconds returns to text
mode with the error messages:

giving up
xinit: Interrupted system call (errno 4)
xinit: Could not connect to server: no such process (errno 3)

Most of the v1.0 clients work except xeyes gives "floating point
exception" and quits. I'm pretty sure that it's a problem with X386
itself, since the old xinit and the new X386 give the same behavior.
Have I somehow corrupted the image or what?

[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Kristian Ejvind)

Subject: Re: SHOE barfs!
Date: 30 May 92 17:32:09 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet)

u (Wes Santee) writes:
> After telling shoe what partiton Linux was on via the 'laceup _______ wini'
> cmd I installed it with the 'laceup -w x _______' cmd to install to the
> boot sector.
>
> When the menu comes back up on boot, only my DOS partition will boot.
> The linux partition hangs horribly. I don't even any screen output.

I also anstalled shoelace today. Here are some things I can imagine
that might have gone wrong for you:

1) Have you copied your bootimage to somewhere on your linux-fs?
I copied it to /vmlinux. Remember to use a version which you have
patched to boot from harddisk ( I forgot...), or which you have
compiled youself.

2) Have you edited /etc/config? It should contain only one line
uncommented, saying 'boot /vmlinux' or whereever you put
your bootimage. Put a # in front of all the other lines or just
delete them ( the config-file is made for use on a minix-system).

> I read the FAQ and it just says how to install, not how to
> troubleshoot SHOE. Same with the SHOE readme.
>
> I've triple-checked that my command to laceup is correct (at least
> how the README on the interim release says to do).
>
> Any ideas on what to do? Playing with active partition flags, etc>

Not needed.

> Any help is appriciated.
>

> --
> Wes Santee | "It all seems so stupid,
> [email protected] | it makes me want to give up.
> | But why should I give up, -Martin
> | when it all seems so stupid." Gore

/Kristian

[next article]
From: [email protected] (James Thomas)

Subject: MGR questions
Sender: [email protected] (The News)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 17:22:25 GMT

I've been playing around with MGR (the Sunday, May 24 version), and have
some questions:

1) If Bash (v 1.12) is the current shell, MGR fails to start it in windows
it creates. If ash (the crummy default shell on the root disk) is the
current shell, it is started up and I can run commands normally. Is
this a known bug? (I'm running Linux 0.96a if this helps).

2) I've copied the termcap info for MGR into my termcap file, but still
certain keys fail to function. For example, backspace doesn't work
in ash, and sometimes enter doesn't work in MicroEMACS.

3) Does the font support work yet?

4) I notice that the demo programs use Sgtty, and thus cannot be compiled
on Linux. What is the eventual solution? Rewriting the demos or writing
a Sgtty emulator?

Despite these problems, I rather like MGR and am glad that somebody is
porting a window manager that is more reasonable in its demands on memory
and disk space than X. (Not everyone has 16 MB of memory and 100 MB free
disk space!)

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Wen-Chun Ni)

Subject: zip/unzip in banjo.concert.net
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 17:34:58 GMT

They are in /pub/Linux/Incoming. Thanx!

Wen-Chun Ni

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Michael K. Johnson)

Subject: new stuff at tsx-11...
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1992 18:50:37 GMT

In the last few days, I have put up a few things at tsx-11, and now I
am getting around to announcing them.

/pub/linux/docs/bash-man.tar.Z
bash manual in dvi format with fonts and instructions

/pub/linux/patches/diff0.96-0.96a.Z
patch from 0.96 to 0.96a

/pub/linux/sources/libs/vgalib.tar.Z
new vgalib sources

/pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin.X11/xtetris.tar.Z

/pub/linux/sources/usr.bin/gnuplot.src.tar (not compressed: it's
smaller this way)
/pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin/gnuplot.tar.Z
gnuplot. Notice that the source is distributed as original source and
diffs, as that is what the gnuplot license requires.

/pub/linux/sources/system/getty_ps-src.tar.Z
Here is the announcement that [email protected] (Steve Z) asked me
to make:

Short Advertisement for 'getty_ps'

This is a replacement getty/uugetty program, pulled from comp.sources.misc,
with a few changes so it compiles under linux. The major features of this
package are:

+ Can be used as a normal getty, or as "uugetty" to allow
bi-directional usage of modem lines.

+ Reads a "defaults" file at runtime, so that a single binary
can be configured differently on individual lines. This also
allows you to change getty's behavior without recompiling.

+ Let's you specify a program other than "login" to be executed
after the user name is entered.

+ (and the best for last:) The line can be "initialized"
before sending the login banner (/etc/issue) and prompt with
the use of an expect/send sequence not unlike that used by the
UUCP L.sys (or Systems) file.

+ (and new in version 2.0:) The CONNECT message from the modem
can be used to set the line speed; no more having to toggle
the speed by sending 's or CR's.

I posted source only, because of the admonitions about distributing shared
lib binaries. The static versions are 100k each, about 3 times a shared
binary. At any rate, it is fully configured, all you need to do is type
'make' to build it.

Steve Robbins

getty_ps-src.tar.Z includes source and man pages.

michaelkjohnson
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dylan Smith)

Subject: Lunar lander
Date: 30 May 92 19:13:52 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet poster for nntp (tj - 17/12/91))

I've ported Lunar Lander to Linux (at 11:30pm last night!) and have uploaded
the sources to tsx-11.mit.edu. I know your'e supposed to mail someone at
tsx-11 to say youv'e done this, but I don't know who to mail! I expect they
will see this though...

From: [email protected] (Charles Hedrick)

Subject: Kermit5A problem solved; scripts start SLIP easily
Date: 30 May 92 20:53:01 GMT