From: [email protected] (Alex R.N. Wetmore)
Subject: gcc problems
Date: 2 Apr 92 20:53:52 GMT

I just installed linux on my system yesterday, but have been running
across problems getting gcc working. I looked over the faq, but it
didn't help.

Anyway, I am trying to install gcc-1.40 (figured I would start with
something stable). I got it from tsx-11.mit.edu, and undid the two tars
in my /usr directory. I also got the source for the kernel (the FAQ
said that limits.h was there, but it wasn't in the one that I have). I
then went in search of limits.h, and found it in an archive called
include.tar.Z in the kernel directory of nic.funet.fi. Now when I
compile I get general protection faults, and a whole bunch of garbage.

Otherwise, a few more questions. Linux seems to be missing quite a few
of the process utils (kill, who, etc). I assume that this is just
because of the betaness.

Otherwise it looks very promissing? Is there planned support for
ethernet based tcp/ip in the future? If so I will probably stick with
it (I was planning on moving over to mach).

thanks,
alex

[next article]

Article 7 (50 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Joel M. Hoffman)
Subject: as from newgcc segmentation faults / uncompress runs out of mem.
Date: 2 Apr 92 22:11:39 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News system)

1) I just tried compiling a ``hello world'' program under 0.95a, with
newgcc. But as doesn't work. I tried just typeing as, but I got:

general protection: 0000
EIP: 000f:00000180
EFLAGS: 00010246
fs: 0010
base: 38000000, limit: 04000000
Stack: 00000150 0001CABC 00000000 00000080
Pid: 127, process nr: 14
10 89 55 fc 8b 45 fc 80 38 2d
Segmentation fault

Any ideas?

2) I was trying to uncompress mtools.n.tar.Z, but uncompress killed
the rest of the machine (I could switch VC's, but none was responsive)
until it ran out of memory. Even after it ran out of memory it kept
running. Finally it responded to a ^Z (I'm using bash), but the
machine was still TERRIBLY slow. Only when I killed the process did I
get control of the machine back. In the mean time, some misc.
processes had been killed. One shell was killed, and my kermit
connection was killed.

I have a Dell '386 running at 25MHz, 2M RAM, 25M Linux partition (10M
used) and 5M swap space.

Any ideas??

-Joel
([email protected])

[next article]

Article 8 (49 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Joseph Knapka)
Subject: Compress badness
Date: 2 Apr 92 23:35:39 GMT

... And then one day, compress went flaky. Works for everything except
one file, /home/tar/misc.tar, which has within it shoelace.tar, some
patches for shoelace, and some other odds and ends. I say, "compress
/home/tar/misc.tar", and compress pounds on the disk a litte while,
and then back comes the root: prompt --- and misc.tar is totally
unchanged --- there's not even a .Z on the end of its name. I do a
"tar tf" on it, and tar has no problem with that, it gives me a table
of contents. So misc.tar hasn't been touched. I tried giving it
another name and compressing it, no joy. What on earth could be going
on here? BTW, I *am* in the right directory, I *do* have write
permission on the file, etc...

Terribly confused,

Joseph

[next article]

Article 9 (48 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Adam Justin Thornton)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: New gcc, same problems, aaaaaaaaaargh!!!
Date: 2 Apr 92 23:19:05 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News)

I went and got the current gcc2.1 from tsx-11, thinking my old one might
be corrupted, rm -rf'd /usr/gcc2, and untarred evrything, which went smoothly.

I also have symbolic links from /usr/bin/gcc, /usr/bin/cc1, /usr/bin/cpp to
/usr/gcc2/bin/gcc, /usr/gcc2/lib//{cpp | cc1}.

Whenever I try to compile anything, _bad_ things happen. Hello world gets
a "parse error before '(' in line 1". Line 1 is simply main().

When I try to compile free (from ps), it barfs on line 108 of stdio.h,
claiming the same damn parse error. I don't understand. Does anyone know
what is going wrong? Can anyone suggest anything besides giving up in
disgust and heading back to gcc1.4?

Adam
--
"This howling in the distance, it's a captivating sound/ Can't tell if it's
ecstasy or pain." | These aren't Rice's opinions, just mine, thank God.
>Radio Free Preterition from Pig Bodine and the Whole Sick Crew | 64,928<

[next article]

Article 10 (47 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Rik Faith)
Subject: > 16Mbyte?
Date: 2 Apr 92 20:55:24 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Has anyone patched linux so that it can use more than 16Mbytes? I looked
at the appropriate boot files, but there are a few magic numbers I don't
understand. Also, because of Linus' warning, I didn't want to miss any
necessary changes.

[next article]

Article 11 (46 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Kevin Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.os.linux,comp.os.minix
Subject: Comments on Gateway2000 486DX 50MHz System
Date: 2 Apr 92 22:08:39 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

In the near future I'll probably be buying a 486 system. I don't know
which one yet, but I've been talking with several people and companies
about their products.

I'd like to get the net's opinion of Gateway and their 486 50MHz (or any
other of their systems) as compared to an Austin system or a Zeos system.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Of particular interest is their compatibility and capability to run Un*x
of Un*x clones (ala Linux, 386BSD, or Minix), and their performance
compared to the other machines out on the market.

Please e-mail responses to the address below.

Thanks,
Kevin
___
Kevin E. Martin University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
[email protected] Department of Computer Science

[next article]

Article 12 (45 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Jeff Johnson)
Subject: IP number for tsx-11.mit.edu?
Date: 2 Apr 92 16:34:55 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Jeff Johnson)

I'm sure this is a FAQ. Sorry. Will a FAQ document be posted to this
group. Unfortunately, we didn't receive alt.os.linux here, so I'm a
newcomer to the LINUX world.

Thanks!
JT Johnson ([email protected])

[next article]

Article 13 (44 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Mike Dodds)
Subject: Re: Help, can't compile 0.95a!
Date: 3 Apr 92 01:18:25 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

[email protected] (Nicolai Wadstr|m) writes:

>I'm unable to compile Linux 0.95a, I have installed the new sources
>and bootup with the 0.95a binary kernel image, using the old gcc (1.40?),
>and I get and error "cc1 got return code 16" when compiling fork.c!
>Does this anything to to with the old gcc compiler? Or do I need new library
>for 0.95a?

Well,
I can only offer my solution, not any reason why. It seems
that my 4Meg of RAM is insufficient for this mem hog. So, what
I did was to go down the tree stucture manually, finding all the
sub-Makefiles, and "make"-ing them. Yes, I know, "UUUuugh!". But,
it seemed to work. The only exception was that console.c was too big,
so we hand compiled it. Don't ask me why, I just work here. I've
probably got something configured wrong (as if I could configure
something right!), so if anyone out there who actually has a working
.95a system, let me know.

- The Magister

[next article]

Article 14 (43 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Martin Schulte)
Subject: Problem with gcc2
Date: 3 Apr 92 02:59:41 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet News System)

I took gcc2misc.tar.Z and gcc2lib.tar.Z from nic or tsx-11. I untared them
in /usr. /usr/gcc2/bin/gcc of a script which only contains the
line "#include " leads to the error-message:
In file incluced from gcc2test.c:1:
/usr/gcc2/include/stdio.h:99: parse error before '('

Any help appreciated, Martin

--

[next article]

Article 15 (42 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Martin Schulte)
Date: 3 Apr 92 02:50:43 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet News System)

I took gcc2misc.tar.Z and gcc2lib.tar.Z from tsx-11. I untared them
in /usr. /usr/gcc2/bin/gcc of a script which only contains the
line "#include " leads to the error-message:
In file incluced from gcc2test.c:1:
/usr/gcc2/include/stdio.h:99: parse error before '('

Any help appreciated, Martin
--

[next article]

Article 16 (41 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Martin Schulte)
Date: 3 Apr 92 02:55:51 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet News System)

I took gcc2misc.tar.Z and gcc2lib.tar.Z from nic or tsx-11. I untared them
in /usr. /usr/gcc2/bin/gcc of a script which only contains the
line "#include " leads to the error-message:
In file incluced from gcc2test.c:1:
/usr/gcc2/include/stdio.h:99: parse error before '('

Any help appreciated, Martin
--

[next article]

Article 17 (40 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Stewart Baker)
Subject: HD timeout Errors (with .95a)
Date: 3 Apr 92 03:05:17 GMT

Is there anyone else having problems with their disk in .95a? I have
two IDE hard disks, a Conner 170MB as the master, and a Maxtor 120MB as
the slave. I have / and /usr on the Conner disk, and a 10MB swap partition
on the slave. Sometimes when I compile using gcc-1.40 I get a HD timeout
error and then a general protection that looks like:
general protection: 0000
EIP: 000f:00002A08
EFlags: 00010202
ESP: 0017:03BFFE80
fs: 0010
base: 28000000, limit: 04000000
Stack: 00008000 00044001 00044001 03BFFEE0
Pid: 22, Process nr:10
00 A4 2B 00 00 C9 2B 00 00 00
Program got fatal signal 22.

If I keep running gcc, I will continue to get the same error. However,
I can usually fix the problem temporarily by switching to another terminal,
logging in as root, and running sync or fsck.

Does anyone have ANY idea as to what is going on and if there is a way to
fix this? Am I stuck until the next version of linux?

Thank's for your help
Stewart Baker
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 18 (39 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (William A. Calderwood)
Subject: shar unshar
Date: 3 Apr 92 03:48:06 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Are there any shar unshar utilities ported yet to linux.

Also thanks to the many many many wonderfull people who mailed me
about linux. I've already installed it on my Gateway 2000 386DX 25 and
haven't any problems yet.

Oh yea Does linux support port numbers too. I was thinking of porting
Galactic Bloodshed (GB) to linux.

Thanks Again.

Bill

[email protected]
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 19 (38 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Jiansheng Zhao)
Subject: diskbackup -> broken pile
Date: 3 Apr 92 04:22:33 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet News Maintenance)

When I tried diskbackup with compress
tar -cf - bin .. | compress |diskbackup "day one"
I always got an error message: broken pipe. What might be the problem?
I tried find | sort > list, the pipe seems working. Anyone has similar
problem (bug in compress?)

[next article]

Article 20 (37 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Andy I. Liaw)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: SOS! linux refuses to go on my IDE drive!
Date: 3 Apr 92 03:56:33 GMT

can anyone help me please? i'm REALLY stucked. here's the story:

i found linux on a local ftp site (sc.tamu.edu, in /pub/free_unix). the
files in there are images of miniroot, boot-floppy-ide, boot-hd-ide, and
4 bin disks. i managed to get these files onto floppies and naively
think that i can do the installation. so i scratched my 125mb dos
partition and created a 84mb partition for dos, thinking this would leave
enuff room for linux.

then i bootup linux from floppy without any problems. i ran fdisk, and
it reported /dev/hda4 as 16-bit dos. i ran pfdisk /dev/hda4. it told me
i have 306 cyl., 4 heads, 17 sectors. i did a G 1001 15 17 according to
CMOS, then 2 129 671 999 to set up the minix partition. then wq, sync
3 times, and reboot. ran fdisk again, it still only report the dos
partition. i tried everything i could think of, pfdisk just doesn't
cooperate. each time i reboot pfdisk tell me the wrong disk geometry.
can anyone help me? my hard disk is a seagate st1144 130mb ide with
1001 cyl., 15 heads, and 17 sectors.

i'm getting very frustrated. is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

andy liaw [email protected]

[next article]

Article 21 (36 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Jiansheng Zhao)
Date: 3 Apr 92 05:09:31 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet News Maintenance)

In [email protected] ( Mike Dodds) writes:

>[email protected] (Nicolai Wadstr|m) writes:

>>I'm unable to compile Linux 0.95a, I have installed the new sources
>>and bootup with the 0.95a binary kernel image, using the old gcc (1.40?),
>>and I get and error "cc1 got return code 16" when compiling fork.c!
>>Does this anything to to with the old gcc compiler? Or do I need new library
>>for 0.95a?

>Well,
> I can only offer my solution, not any reason why. It seems
>that my 4Meg of RAM is insufficient for this mem hog. So, what
>I did was to go down the tree stucture manually, finding all the
>sub-Makefiles, and "make"-ing them. Yes, I know, "UUUuugh!". But,
>it seemed to work. The only exception was that console.c was too big,
>so we hand compiled it. Don't ask me why, I just work here. I've
>probably got something configured wrong (as if I could configure
>something right!), so if anyone out there who actually has a working
>.95a system, let me know.

> - The Magister

I compiled 0.95a with gcc2.1 today on my 386/33 with 4 MB.with little
difficulty. Iain had mentioned
on the net that when using gcc1.4, lines in Makefiles under
linux/kernel and linux/kernel/chr_drv have to be changed:
original:
#GCC_OPT = -fcombine-regs
you should delet the commnet sign # for gcc1.4, otherewise compiling will
stop at fork.c.

[next article]

Article 22 (35 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Zeyd M. Ben-Halim)
Subject: Re: Problem with gcc2
Date: 3 Apr 92 06:11:49 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (netnews admin account)

[email protected] (Martin Schulte) writes:

Could somebody post an answer to this question? It has come up at least half
a dozen time already. (Un)fortunately I never got these error when I use gcc2.

Zeyd

>I took gcc2misc.tar.Z and gcc2lib.tar.Z from tsx-11. I untared them
>in /usr. /usr/gcc2/bin/gcc of a script which only contains the
>line "#include " leads to the error-message:
>In file incluced from gcc2test.c:1:
>/usr/gcc2/include/stdio.h:99: parse error before '('

>Any help appreciated, Martin
>--

[next article]

Article 23 (34 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Karl R. Buck)
Subject: Reduce "gcc is broken" postings, was:HD timeout Errors (with .95a)
Date: 3 Apr 92 06:55:26 GMT

[email protected] (Stewart Baker) writes:

>Is there anyone else having problems with their disk in .95a? I have
>two IDE hard disks, a Conner 170MB as the master, and a Maxtor 120MB as
>the slave. I have / and /usr on the Conner disk, and a 10MB swap partition
>on the slave. Sometimes when I compile using gcc-1.40 I get a HD timeout
>error and then a general protection that looks like:
>general protection: 0000
>EIP: 000f:00002A08
>EFlags: 00010202
>ESP: 0017:03BFFE80
>fs: 0010
>base: 28000000, limit: 04000000
>Stack: 00008000 00044001 00044001 03BFFEE0
>Pid: 22, Process nr:10
>00 A4 2B 00 00 C9 2B 00 00 00
>Program got fatal signal 22.

[...]

Hmmm. I have a single 40mb IDE drive and am getting the following:

general protection: 0000
EIP: 000f:00000180
EFLAGS: 00010246
ESP: 0017:03BFFE70
fs: 0010
base: 20000000, limit: 04000000
stack: 00000150 0001CABC 00000000 00000008
Pid: 677, Process nr:8
10 89 55 ff 8b 45 fc 80 38 2d
Internal compiler error:
Program as got fatal signal 11

I've been getting similar errors like this, and have not been able to
compile even a "hello world."

As an aside: I really think the compiler is fast becoming the biggest
source of problems with Linux. It really is great that people are
donating their talents working on the latest and greatest versions of
gcc (first first 1.40, 2.0 now 2.1), but now there are rumblings on
the horizon about 2.2 and a reliable (what I define as reliable
anyway ๐Ÿ™‚ is still a thing of the future.

I'm not sure what the answer is; perhaps a more comprehensive FAQ for
gcc? Different type of beta-testing program?

At any rate, I have high hopes for version 2.1 and hope I'll actually
be smart enough to be able to compile a "hello world" one of these
days. ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't want to sound ungrateful to the good people porting
gcc,(Thanks for the work!), I would just like to start seeing some of
the common gcc problems posted to the net reduced a bit.

--
Karl Buck, [email protected] ๐Ÿ™‚

[next article]

Article 24 (33 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected]
Subject: Quick! Post the FAQ before it's too late! ๐Ÿ™‚
Date: 2 Apr 92 16:31:32 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News Feed Account)

Now that comp.os.linux exists, many people who didn't get alt.os.linux
will suddenly be wondering what linux is. Would the keeper of the FAQ
please post it as soon as possible!

Richard D. Nichols
Teradyne Inc., Telecommunications Div.
Phone: (708) 940-9000
Email: [email protected]

[next article]

Article 25 (32 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Hongjiu Lu -- Graduate Student)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ps095: problem with gcc2.1? and vile 3.13
Date: 31 Mar 92 20:47:20 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dahai Li) writes:
|> Hi,
|>
|> I am experiencing problem with ps095, compiled with gcc2.1.
|>
|> I rebuilt the patched 0.95a kernel according to I Reid's post "Compiling kern el,
|> installing ps: a solution".
|>
|> The compilation of of 0.95a (using gcc2.1) went without any problem.
|>
|> However, on linking ps, ld complained about unresolved external "_ctype".
|> So I made the ctype.o of linux' lib.a one of ps' objects. It linked
|> succesfully.

Please do not do anything like that to gcc 2.1. You don't know what you are doin g.

|> But when I called "ps -U /usr/src/linux/tools/system", Linux chocked, gave
|> me a segment fault.
|>
|> The system I am running Linux is a 2Meg Zenith 386 Laptop (Tubors PORT
|> 386).

Glad to hear gcc 2.1 can run with 2MB. How big is your swap space?

|> Any one has any idea what's wrong, and what should I do to overcome the
|> problem?
|>
|> Thanks in advance.
|>
|> Dahai Li

Please wait for a few days. I will post a patch for ps with gcc 2.1. Here is
a very short description.

I added some goodies to this pacth. Now you can configure your kernel
at Makefile of the top level. Read the Makefile and edit it.

One bug in free.c is fixed.

I am waiting for feedback from a guy.

H.J.

[next article]

Article 26 (31 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Hongjiu Lu -- Graduate Student)

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: vile 3.13 + gcc 2.1 anyone?
Date: 31 Mar 92 20:54:40 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

How good is vile? 3.13 is out. Is anyone doing the porting? If you are not
using gcc 2.1, please do.

H.J.

[next article]

Article 27 (30 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Bill Bogstad)
Date: 3 Apr 92 07:05:16 GMT

In article [email protected] su.edu (Mike Dodds) writes:
>[email protected] (Nicolai Wadstr|m) writes:
>
>>I'm unable to compile Linux 0.95a, I have installed the new sources
>>and bootup with the 0.95a binary kernel image, using the old gcc (1.40?),
>>and I get and error "cc1 got return code 16" when compiling fork.c!
>>Does this anything to to with the old gcc compiler? Or do I need new library
>>for 0.95a?
>
> I can only offer my solution, not any reason why. It seems
>that my 4Meg of RAM is insufficient for this mem hog. ...

I have a 8 Meg system and also am having problems compiling fork.c.
I would have thought that would have been sufficient....

Bill Bogstad
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 28 (29 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Mark H. Wood)
Subject: Re: What is linux?
Date: 3 Apr 92 12:47:58 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (L ance Pickup) writes:

>While not part of the original question, it's worth mentioning that
>Linux requires an ISA bus--no MCA )-;

Is this just because nobody's done it, or LINUX' structure would make it too
difficult, or is it a matter of principle ๐Ÿ™‚ ? Seriously, if anybody is
working on MCA mods, I'd like to know. If not, I may take a stab at it
myself, so my poor underemployed PS/2 can have a real operating system, in
addition to MeSs-DOS.

[next article]

Article 29 (28 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Lance Pickup)
Date: 3 Apr 92 13:20:49 GMT
Sender: @watson.ibm.com

In article , [email protected] (Mark H. Woo d) writes:
|> Is this just because nobody's done it, or LINUX' structure would make it too
|> difficult, or is it a matter of principle ๐Ÿ™‚ ? Seriously, if anybody is
|> working on MCA mods, I'd like to know. If not, I may take a stab at it
|> myself, so my poor underemployed PS/2 can have a real operating system, in
|> addition to MeSs-DOS.

I'm not aware of any development on an MCA version (although I would
to hear the contrary myself). If I can find any free time, I'll be
taking a stab at it, but I won't guarantee my success! I've gotten
most of the required tools together (notably missing as86 which is
kind of a bummer!) that work on DOS and have at least recompiled the
code successfully. Once I find a way to get the bootsect and setup
stuff available without as86, maybe I'll be able to actually try
building my own boot disk!

I am optimistic that an MCA version can be done without too much
hassle (i.e. I will be able to port it). I'll keep people posted
if I make any progress, but keep in mind that I have very little
free time, so progress will be slow.
--
...Lance

Lance Pickup VNET/IBM Internet: [email protected]
IBM/Vendor Systems Internet: [email protected]
Technology Products
Burlington, VT Phone: (802) 769-7104 (tie 446)

[next article]

Article 30 (27 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Suzuki Shinji)
Date: 3 Apr 92 10:41:00 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Hi. First of all, my thanks to all of you driving the evolution of Linux.

Seems some have seen trouble recompiling 0.95a kernel.
This is my positive acknowledgement on the matter.

In article
[email protected] (Mike Dodds) writes:
>[email protected] (Nicolai Wadstr|m) writes:
>
>>I'm unable to compile Linux 0.95a, I have installed the new sources
>>and bootup with the 0.95a binary kernel image, using the old gcc (1.40?),
>
>Well,
> I can only offer my solution, not any reason why. It seems
>that my 4Meg of RAM is insufficient for this mem hog. So, what
>I did was to go down the tree stucture manually, finding all the
>sub-Makefiles, and "make"-ing them. ...

When I tried to rebuild the kernel using gcc1.4, I had to compile
two files w/o -O flag and -Iinclude had to be added to linux/Makefile.
Worse, booting with new kernel got stack-limit exception, halting the
machine. Then I found a comment in linux/kernel/Makefile, which says
#gcc2 doen't have these:
#GCC_OPT = -fcombine-regs
After switching to gcc2, rebuilding the kernel was a snap.
If I remember, adding '-Iinclude' was everything. I have 16M, though.

By the way, I have a quick (also dirty) hack on keybord.S to
exchange CTRL and CAPS-LOCK, and to have ALT work as meta key.
If you're interested, just drop me a note. However, I understand
that 'kernel debugger package' has an easily configurable driver.
Using it might be a better idea.

cheers,
-shinji suzuki
I have a .Signature but it's in kanji.

[next article]

Article 31 (26 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Lawrence C. Foard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,alt.test
Subject: hello?
Date: 3 Apr 92 07:32:41 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News)

Is comp.os.linux dead everywhere?
--
Disclaimer: Opinions are based on logic rather than biblical "fact". ------
This is a mutated signature virus, if you don't put it in your .sig \ /

[next article]

Article 32 (25 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (James L Nance)
Subject: Help Mr. Fortran
Date: 3 Apr 92 14:20:14 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

I remember reading a post here not too long ago from the person who was writing
gnu FORTRAN. I was wondering if this person, whose name I can not recall, has
considered porting FORTRAN to Linux. I would like to see if I can get Spice2g6
ported to Linux, but parts of it (lots of it) are written in FORTRAN and
I think
it would be a Major job to translate them into C.

Thanks,
Jim Nance

[next article]

Article 33 (24 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Subject: Re: HD timeout Errors (with .95a)
Date: 3 Apr 92 14:41:29 GMT

In article <19[email protected]> [email protected] (Stewart Baker) writes:
>Is there anyone else having problems with their disk in .95a?
> [ description deleted ]

I'm afraid there are people still having problems with the 0.95a
harddisk drivers: the problems show up in "unexpected HD interrupt" and
"HD timeout" messages. These messages sometimes result in read-errors,
it seems: general protection errors and sometimes even bad filesystems.

I'll make a new alpha-patch available tomorrow, which has some
corrections to the harddisk driver: they aren't guaranteed to help you,
but I hope the few persons experiencing these errors will try them out
and report to me what happened.

The upcoming alpha-patches will also contain other corrections: the
387-emulation had bugs (corrections were already sent to the gcc-2
beta-testers) and there has been some further work done on the VFS-code
(thanks to entropy and card) as well as some other corrections (hedrick,
bruce evans etc pointed out bugs..)

I'm afraid the patches will be against a clean 0.95a once more: people
with other patches might have problems. The ps-patches are incorporated,
btw.

Linus

[next article]

Article 34 (23 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Paul Mather)
Subject: Re: Help Mr. Fortran
Date: 3 Apr 92 16:09:50 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Paul Mather)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (James L Nance ) writes:
> I remember reading a post here not too long ago from the person who was writin g
> gnu FORTRAN. I was wondering if this person, whose name I can not recall, has > considered porting FORTRAN to Linux. I would like to see if I can get Spice2g 6
> ported to Linux, but parts of it (lots of it) are written in FORTRAN and
> I think
> it would be a Major job to translate them into C.

Have you tried running the FORTRAN stuff through f2c, the FORTRAN to C
translator? You never know, it might work.

F2c is (I'm fairly sure) available from the netlib library (on
research.att.com[?]) and on other good archive sites, as they say...

Cheers,

Paul.

--
e-mail: [email protected]

If your mailer can't reach me, I'm obviously not worth talking to.

[next article]

Article 35 (22 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Joseph Knapka)
Date: 3 Apr 92 16:03:01 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] ( Zeyd M. Ben-Halim) writes:
>[email protected] (Martin Schulte) writes:
>
>Could somebody post an answer to this question? It has come up at least half
>a dozen time already. (Un)fortunately I never got these error when I use gcc2.
>
>Zeyd
>

>>I took gcc2misc.tar.Z and gcc2lib.tar.Z from tsx-11. I untared them
>>in /usr. /usr/gcc2/bin/gcc of a script which only contains the
>>line "#include " leads to the error-message:
>>In file incluced from gcc2test.c:1:
>>/usr/gcc2/include/stdio.h:99: parse error before '('
>
>>Any help appreciated, Martin
>>--

I had this problem early on with gcc-2.0. Someone posted about the tar
on the 0.95a distribution disk corrupting files. I switched to another
tar (I think from fileutils.tar.Z on tsx-11, but I'm not sure) and
untarred the gcc-2.x stuff with that, and everything worked after
that. Other people seem to be having problems like this that aren't
fixed by switching to another version of tar, though.

Joseph

[next article]

Article 36 (21 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Tim Rhodes)
Subject: Swapfile vs. Swap partition
Date: 3 Apr 92 17:07:16 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I am planning on installing linux this weekend. I'll have to repartition my
hard drive which I plan to do with regular DOS tools. My question is which is preferable, using a partition for swap space or or a swapfile? For my setup,
how many partitions should I define. Also in using a seperate partition, the
RELNOTEs remark is not clear if I need to make a file system on a swap
partition or if the mkswap does it all. Sorry if these questions are answered in docs on the floppy images. Thanks ...

--
Tim Rhodes [email protected] (NeXTMail accepted)
Sr Systems Engineer [email protected]

[next article]

Article 37 (20 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Pradeep K Tapadiya)
Subject: Any disk compression utility for linux?
Date: 3 Apr 92 17:00:36 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Howdy netters,

In the DOS world, there is a great disk compression program, STACKER.
It keeps all the files in a compressed form, compressing/decompressing
them on the fly. My 65M harddisk reports 125M after using stacker.
Since my disk i/o is slow, the overall performance of my machine has
improved after using stacker.

I probably can fit linux in another 30M harddisk I have. However, I wish
I could have some more space. Is there any disk compression program
which can be used with linux?

Thank you.

Pradeep
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 38 (19 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (R. Ramesh)
Subject: Re: diskbackup -> broken pile
Date: 3 Apr 92 17:36:38 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

In article , [email protected] (Jiansheng Zhao ) writes:
|> When I tried diskbackup with compress
|> tar -cf - bin .. | compress |diskbackup "day one"
|> I always got an error message: broken pipe. What might be the problem?
|> I tried find | sort > list, the pipe seems working. Anyone has similar
|> problem (bug in compress?)

The problem is as follows: The disckbackup and restore assumes that a read
of x bytes from a pipe always returns x bytes. But this is not true in 0.95a
the read returns successfully even if it did read only y < x (y > 0) bytes.
(and this is a commonly accepted and proper? behaviour) Therefore diskbackup
and diskrestore are obsolete and need to be fixed before they can be used
reliably(?) on pipes. I do have a fixed version (that I have not used
extensively and hence can be buggy) available. Once again if there is enough
interest I can post/upload it.

BTW, the fixes needed are very simple. You just have write a readpipe function
which takes same set of parameters like read but insists on reading x bytes by
doing repeated read(.) system call. While you are fixing disksplit package you
might also be interested in changing FLOPPYSIZ so that you fill you disk
as much as possible.

Good luck.

Ramesh

PS. read from disk files will get x bytes when requested x bytes (of course,
unless EOF or EIO occurs) - RR.

[next article]

Article 39 (18 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)
Subject: Re: Any disk compression utility for linux?
Date: 3 Apr 92 17:35:33 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Pradeep K Tapadiya) wri tes:
>Howdy netters,
>
>In the DOS world, there is a great disk compression program, STACKER.
>It keeps all the files in a compressed form, compressing/decompressing
>them on the fly. My 65M harddisk reports 125M after using stacker.
>Since my disk i/o is slow, the overall performance of my machine has
>improved after using stacker.
>
>I probably can fit linux in another 30M harddisk I have. However, I wish
>I could have some more space. Is there any disk compression program
>which can be used with linux?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Pradeep
>[email protected]

Not at this time. You can however "pklite" your executables with a
shell script like the following :

#!/bin/sh
WHAT=/usr/compressed/$0.Z
if [ -f ${WHAT} ]
uncompress < ${WHAT} > /tmp/$0
/tmp/$0
rm -f /tmp/$0
else
echo ${WHAT} does not exist.
exit 1
fi

chmod it to permissions 555.
Make symbolic links to the name of the file it replaces.

Also, if you are a brave and hardy pioneer, and wish to be
involved in the beta testing of gcc2.x, or can wait until
the beta release (if everything goes well, it should be
within the week), you can use executables compiled with shared libraries.

With shared libraries, executable size drops by a factor of 2-4
for small executables (Extreme example : Hello World, from 25K to 5,
typical example is by a factor of 2 for normal small utilities, 50K for a ~150K application like vile).

Note that this could also be combined with the above shell script.

[next article]

Article 40 (17 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Mark Saltzman)
Subject: Experience with Elite Group or Pony 386/33 motherboards ($99!)
Date: 3 Apr 92 18:01:28 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Has anyone ever heard of or used Elite Group or Pony motherboards?
A kind of shady looking operation is selling them locally for $99. I
would snap one up in a second if it can run linux and the performance is
decent.

[next article]

Article 41 (16 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Hongjiu Lu -- Graduate Student)
Date: 3 Apr 92 17:02:42 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (James L Nance) writes:
>[email protected]>
>Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1992 14:20:14 GMT
>
>I remember reading a post here not too long ago from the person who was writing >gnu FORTRAN. I was wondering if this person, whose name I can not recall, has
>considered porting FORTRAN to Linux. I would like to see if I can get Spice2g6 >ported to Linux, but parts of it (lots of it) are written in FORTRAN and
>I think
>it would be a Major job to translate them into C.

It is MUCH easier than you thought. Grab f2c from research.att.com. Then
you can figure it out yourself.

> Thanks,
> Jim Nance

H.J.

[next article]

Article 42 (15 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Sergio L Aponte)
Subject: Since I haven't seen an FAQ...
Date: 3 Apr 92 19:04:50 GMT

Can somebody give me a two-three liner description of what is LINUX
and what hardware it runs on?

I have been trying to figure it out by reading the group, so far
I got "FREE BSD for 80386 PCs". Is this the right track?

Inquiring minds want to know...

--
=============================================================== _|||_
Sergio L. Aponte, SMTS @ Ingres, an ASK Company <*,*>

[next article]

Article 43 (14 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (STEPHEN HUFNAGEL)
Subject: new-user
Date: 2 Apr 92 14:45:00 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

I have finally gotten linux version .95a installed and sort of running on my
25 meg 386. I am having some problems transfering *.tar.Z and *.Z files into
usable files. The machine uncompresses some of the files and writes some of
them, but for some reason it falls flat with the binaries. Newgcc.tar.Z is
one of the ones troubling me. The machine hangs before transfering any of the
binaries. My machine has 4Mb ram + swap,with 24 Mb on the Linux partition,
and 8 Mb for swap. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am a very
novice unix user.

My E-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks,
bob

[next article]

Article 44 (13 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (William A. Calderwood)
Subject: Re: backspace doesn't work with ash: work-around!
Date: 3 Apr 92 19:34:08 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

>The no-backspace problem only happened to me in the first VC, and only
>when using the floppy as root. I didn't think much about not having
>the BS trouble, until I decided to boot with floppy as root again, and
>it showed up. Anybody else see this?

yea the same thing has happened to me. I guess the solution is to not
use the floppy as root.

Bill
[email protected]
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 45 (12 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Joseph Dougherty)
Subject: .95a kernel panic? HELP
Date: 3 Apr 92 19:55:49 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News System)

I managed to get through Iain Reid's superior directions,
make some path changes, move some files around, and get the kernel
recomplied to prepare adding in ps and lp. I did my recomplie to a
floppy disk, and after rebooting, I get this message:

8 virtual consoles
4 pty's
stac segment: 0000
EIP: 0008: 0000D262
EFLAGS: 00010202
fs: 0010
base: 00000000
limit: 000A0000
pid: 0, process nr: 0
8b 45 cc 66 c7 04 cd e0 a4 00
Kernel panic: Trying to free up swapper memory space
In swapper task- not syncing

I had to copt this by hand, so I believe this is exactly how it looked.
I run from hdb1, which is set before the compile. I have 4 megs RAM, and
have a swap to a 5 meg disk file run from my profile. However, this
boot doesn't seem to get that far.
I applied the patches in linus-95a-patches from tsx, but the problem
is still there.
If anyone has an idea of what the fix is for this, how about a reply?
Shhot me something e-mail if you like. Thanks in advance.

Joe Dougherty
[email protected]
having frustrated fun....

[next article]

Article 46 (11 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Jiansheng Zhao)
Subject: gcc2.1, no as (gas)?
Date: 2 Apr 92 17:26:30 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet News Maintenance)

I installed gcc2.1 according to FAQ in 2misc.tar. However, I can't compile
0.95a kernel with it (no problem for gcc1.4). It asked for as, cpp. What
change I have to make to compile the kernel with gcc2.1. I know there are
pioneers who have gone through all of this. (link cpp to /usr/bin ?)
Thank you.

[next article]

Article 47 (10 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Brian Vandivier)
Subject: HD timeout
Date: 3 Apr 92 20:35:48 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

As I booted my computer off of the bootimage disk and after the question
about the monitor, my system puts up the tty info and then I get several
HD timeouts and then procedes to ask for the rootdisk and finishes booting.
I log into as root and then do a fdisk and it shows my two hard drives and
then I proceded to partition the second drive for Linux. After rebooting,
I get the same HD timeout as I did before. After logging in I do an fdisk
it shows a hdb5 partition with an error message. I did have success in
installing on to the second drive. I used pboot to use hdb1 for root, and
after when I used that disk to boot, I got the same HD timeout and then
said it was unable to mount root. I attempted the samething on my 1st hard
drive and got the same exact errors on it. I saw the post about getting
HD timeouts while compiling and someone was making a patch for bootimage.
Will this patch fix my problem? Both of my hard drives are ST-251 40megs
I belive MFM, but I'm unsure.

Thanks in advance.
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 48 (9 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Ira M. Laefsky)
Subject: Help with BOOTANY or PARTIT10 (not SHOESTRING) EMAIL RESPONSE REQUEST
Date: 3 Apr 92 20:48:10 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I am trying to use bootany and/or partit10, two programs which claim to allow
mutiple partition booting on the IBM PC (since I hope to I hope to use these
with a derivative which does not provide a master boot record replacement
Shoestring is not an acceptable alternative). So far in my experiments with
these programs on a 386-25 with AMI BIOS and 2 IDE drives, attempting to boot
a DOS_5 partition and a Coherent parttion I was successful in booting the
DOS_5 partition if it was made bootable by inserting a 80h value in the
partition table, I have had no success with the Coherent partion whether or
not it was bootable. Perhaps this is a result of what these programs do
when they cannot recognize the partion type field in the MBR partiontion table.
Since I read that people experimenting with Linux have had similar experience
I am asking for your help with any success you have had in working with
these programs.

Thanks in advance for any help, I would appreciate it if you can respond by
email to: [email protected]

[next article]

Article 49 (8 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Date: 3 Apr 92 21:27:41 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Bill Bogstad) writes:

> I have a 8 Meg system and also am having problems compiling fork.c.
>I would have thought that would have been sufficient....

Ok, the problem isn't memory: it's gcc-1.40. For some strange reason
the older gcc runs out of registers when optimizing some of the files in
the linux source distribution, and dies. This one isn't the same bug as
the "unknown insn" which was due to my hacks in the earlier 1.40 - this
one seems to be a genuine gcc bug.

Linux 0.95a is compileable with the older gcc if you just add the flag
"-fcombine-regs" to the command line. In fact, the only thing you need
to do is to remove a "#" from the makefiles: the line

#GCC_OPT = -fcombine-regs

should be uncommented, and gcc-1.40 will have no problems compiling the
source. This was documented in some of the release-notes for 0.95, but
I guess I forgot it for 0.95a.

Why remove the flag in the first place I hear you say? Simply because
gcc-2 doesn't understand -fcombine-regs, as it seems to do the
optimizations even without asking. There are other things I had to
change in the source to get gcc-2 to compile it, but this is the only
problem that made the old gcc choke.

With the advent of an official gcc-2.1 (this weekend?), people might
want to change to that one: note however that gcc-2.1 is about twice as
big as 1.40, so it's going to be slower on machines that swap... People
with just 2M of mem might not want to upgrade (*). I like the changes
to 2.1: the code quality seems to be a lot better (esp floating point).

On a slightly related note: the as-binary in newgcc has been reported by
several people to have problems. Getting as from the original
gcc-distribution by me (gccbin.tar.Z) might be a good idea if you have
problems with the newgcc version.

Linus

(*) Even with only 2M of mem, using gcc-2 has it's good points. The
shared libraries should cut down on memory use as well as loading time
and disk-space use. Shared libraries work even with 1.40 if you know how
to build them, but 2.1 does it all automatically...

[next article]

Article 50 (7 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Date: 3 Apr 92 21:44:00 GMT

In article [email protected] (Mark H. Wood ) writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] ( Lance Pickup) writes:
>
>>While not part of the original question, it's worth mentioning that
>>Linux requires an ISA bus--no MCA )-;
>
>Is this just because nobody's done it, or LINUX' structure would make it too
>difficult, or is it a matter of principle ๐Ÿ™‚ ? Seriously, if anybody is
>working on MCA mods, I'd like to know. If not, I may take a stab at it
>myself, so my poor underemployed PS/2 can have a real operating system, in
>addition to MeSs-DOS.

It's not due to some internal linux-design: linux does count on a 386+
processor, but there isn't any heavy kernel dependancy on the AT-bus.
HOWEVER: most device driver will probably have to be changed to some
degree, but I haven't got the slightest idea of what is needed.

The minimum needed to make a PS/2 port is a very thorough knowledge of
the interrupt and IO system of the MCA systems, as well as patience and
a feel for kernel programming (debugging is /hell/ when nothing works -
no debugger I know of can follow the code from real mode to protected
mode and paging-setup etc - you'd probably need an emulator). I can
help with questions about the current code, but I have /no/ idea of what
the microchannel architecture changed with respect to the ISA standard,
so you are essentially on your own in that respect. I assume DMA, A20
etc have changed - I know the keyboard seems to work differently etc...

Linus

[next article]

Article 51 (6 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Farhan H Garib)
Date: 3 Apr 92 21:03:54 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Network News)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Stewart Baker) writes:
>Is there anyone else having problems with their disk in .95a? I have
>two IDE hard disks, a Conner 170MB as the master, and a Maxtor 120MB as
>the slave. I have / and /usr on the Conner disk, and a 10MB swap partition
>on the slave. Sometimes when I compile using gcc-1.40 I get a HD timeout
>error and then a general protection that looks like:
>general protection: 0000
>EIP: 000f:00002A08
>EFlags: 00010202
>ESP: 0017:03BFFE80
>fs: 0010
>base: 28000000, limit: 04000000
>Stack: 00008000 00044001 00044001 03BFFEE0
>Pid: 22, Process nr:10
>00 A4 2B 00 00 C9 2B 00 00 00
>Program got fatal signal 22.
>
>If I keep running gcc, I will continue to get the same error. However,
>I can usually fix the problem temporarily by switching to another terminal,
>logging in as root, and running sync or fsck.
>
>Does anyone have ANY idea as to what is going on and if there is a way to
>fix this? Am I stuck until the next version of linux?
>
>Thank's for your help
>Stewart Baker
>[email protected]

I am having the same problem. A couple little programs that
would compile last week now produce this error. I can't remember
what I have changed since the last compile that worked either.

-Greg

[next article]

Article 52 (5 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Alex R.N. Wetmore)
Subject: make and terminal problems
Date: 3 Apr 92 21:23:18 GMT

What should the permissions bits be set to for make? I used to get an error:
make: setuid: not owner (or something like that), now I get make:
setgid: whateverr. I have tried setting make g+s but with no luck, any
ideas.

Also, is it just me or is the terminal emulation having some trouble
with cursor movement. Also, sometimes I get it in a mode were the
terminal output all goes to one line, with no way of fixing it that I
can think of (except rebooting). I have played around with setterm with
no luck.

alex

[next article]

Article 53 (4 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Haohui Wang)
Subject: Using a modem under Linux?
Date: 3 Apr 92 22:16:17 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I've ftp'ed pcomm12b from tsx-11.mit.edu
After I read the docs, i still have no idea which /dev/* to use.

Is /dev/ttys[1-4] the serial ports?

Is so how should I change the config files to using com4 (where the modem is)?

Thanks

howie

[next article]

Article 54 (3 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)
Date: 3 Apr 92 22:20:22 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] du (Mark Saltzman) writes:

>Has anyone ever heard of or used Elite Group or Pony motherboards?
>A kind of shady looking operation is selling them locally for $99. I
>would snap one up in a second if it can run linux and the performance is
>decent.

At that price it doesn't include a CPU.

[next article]

Article 55 (2 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)
Subject: Bootsector patch
Date: 3 Apr 92 23:29:30 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

here is a corrected bootsector patch, which adds the eliminated # sign.
This code just doesn't see as much use now that people don't write linux
to 360K disks... =8^)

*** bootsect.S Sat Mar 14 08:45:32 1992
--- bootsect.S.orig Tue Feb 25 23:48:06 1992
***************
*** 317,322 ****
--- 317,324 ----
print_loop:
push cx ! save count left
call print_nl ! nl for readability
+
+ cmp cl, #5
jae no_reg ! see if register name is needed

mov ax, #0xe05 + 0x41 - 1

[next article]

Article 56 (1 more) in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (William A. Calderwood)
Date: 3 Apr 92 22:59:59 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I think I read somewhere that linux doesn't support slave drives yet.
(but some one is working on it) I could be wrong. Try making your
swap space on the master.

Bill,
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 57 in comp.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (William A. Calderwood)
Date: 3 Apr 92 23:00:59 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I think I read somewhere that linux doesn't support slave drives yet.
(but some one is working on it) I could be wrong. Try making your
swap space on the master.

Bill,
[email protected]

[next article]

End of newsgroup comp.os.linux.

Article 795 (26 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Dragan Cvetkovic)
Subject: Linux and SX, maybe FAQ?
Date: 31 Mar 92 11:43:15 GMT

Hi! Maybe it is a FAQ, but I am new to this group. So, my question is:
I am going to get one 386SX/25MHz PC compatible with 2 Mb RAM, and 80 Mb
hard disk, so I ask: is it possible to run Linux in this enviroment? I just
get it over FTP, but if I can not use it, I will better not try to.
Thanks. D. Cvetkovic
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 796 (25 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Hongjiu Lu -- Graduate Student)
Subject: Re: gcc2.1 -- where can I get it?
Date: 2 Apr 92 17:17:32 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:

> From: [email protected] (Michael Hamilton)
> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1992 20:49:04 GMT
>
> I strongly suspect that /pub/linux/binaries/compilers/gcc-2.0 at
> tsx-11.mit.edu does in fact contain gcc-2.1.
>
>Yup. I've since renamed the directory to gcc-2.1, to reduce confusion.
>Sorry about that!
>
>Note the warning in the README file in this directory:
>
>|NOTICE: GCC v2 is still in beta-test, and as such these files are usually
>|out of date within a day or two. For the most recent copies, see the
>|anonymous FTP site dec1.eecs.wsu.edu.

dec1 is gone.

>|Once GCC 2.x is more stable, this file (and this warning) will go away.
>

>In other news, someone has compiled oleo and dropped it off on TSX-11.
>(I'd appreciate it if people who did that also sent mail to
>[email protected] --- thanks!) It's now available in
>~ftp/pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin/oleo.tar.Z
>
> - Ted

This gcc 2.1 is pre-beta. I didn't intend to release it to public. I
just got some fixes for the libraries. And I am working on the other
bug. The official gcc 2.1 beta may be released this weekend. Stay
tuned.

H.J.

[next article]

Article 797 (24 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (PTed Garvin)
Subject: Re: taylor-uucp and smail
Date: 2 Apr 92 21:56:53 GMT

[email protected] (Thomas David Rivers) writes:

>In trying to do the same, I discovered that strtok() in linux was
>damaged.

>I was able to get most of taylor uucp going by replacing the inline
>assembly code with a C version (taken from the net.)

>Unfortunately, I was unable to get a reasonable connection going, so
>I gave up...

>(I sent a note to linus detailing the problem, I don't know if the new
> strtok() got implemented in the 0.95 libraries. If anyone wants to
> give taylor-uucp another try, let me know and I'll mail you the
> strtok() I used.)

> - Dave Rivers -

I have Taylor uucp up and running now under Linux 0.95a. I did the port
under 0.12 but it just kept dying. I think that the fixes to the sleep
functions in 0.95a is what fixed it. I havn't tested it very will yet.
I am about to install smail so that I can test sending mail. I was able
to receive several batches of news files with no problem, however when
it tried to run rnews the files just disappeared. Must be because I have
no rnews yet. ๐Ÿ™‚ I rarely post articles yet because I do not have my
own account. A friend was nice enough to let me post this on his account.
As soon as I get mail and news up and running on my Linux machine I plan
to send it to tsx-ll and post an article to let everyone know.
(that is if nobody else beats to it ๐Ÿ™‚

- Vincent Stemen

[next article]

Article 798 (23 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (KARSTEN WINKOVICS INFORMATIK)
Subject: how to get linux
Date: 2 Apr 92 09:22:06 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News system account)

As a new user to the internet, I read all the stuff on public domain unix-
like Systems such as linux, minix or even a free BSD release.

I would really like trying them out. The only problem seems to be:

How to lay my hands on one of those? I've been able to locate Minix 1.5, but
that's it.

Are there any ftp sites in Europe or, preferable, Germany, that stock these
OSs?

Thanx a lot in advance,
with regards from NATO's biggest aircraft carrier (the FRG)

Karsten Winkovics

[email protected] (UseNet)
[email protected]:247/23.0 (FIDONet)
[email protected] (ZERBERUS)

[next article]

Article 800 (22 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Michael K. Johnson)
Subject: Porting Software to Linux
Date: 3 Apr 92 00:55:52 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 92 16:08:47 -0800
From: Chuck Boyer

I uploaded at 'tsx-11.mit.edu' in /incoming/guide.1a which is the
pre-release of the final draft of the (DOS) BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO
LINUX/unix that I will update as per everyone's instructions,
comments, on Sunday, April 5.

tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/docs/guide.1a

michaelkjohnson
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 801 (21 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)
Subject: Re: SCSI Question.
Date: 3 Apr 92 02:07:06 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:
>In article [email protected], [email protected] (Ke-Wei Ma) writes:
>>
>> Since there wasn't a response from a similar post a ways back, I
>>dare ask if Linux will support systems with an Adaptec AHA-154x
>>controllers? If not, is there one in development?
>>
>>Ke-Wei
>
>Tommy Thorn is working on integrating his adaptec driver into
>Drew Eckhardt's generic scsi package.
>
>In the meantime, I do have an interim adaptec scsi version of
>95a linux, based on Thorn's original hd.c driver. This version also
>has all of Linus' and Charles Hedrick's extended partition patches.
>Full installation packages, including boot and root images are
>available from anonymous ftp at sc.tamu.edu.
>
>dave safford
>[email protected]

I have recieved Tommy's Adaptec lowlevel driver that works with the
generic package, have integrated it cleanly, and will be sending
out a new version of the SCSI package (diffs, and bootables)
that works on Adaptec, Seagate, and Ultrastor adapters this
weekend.

[next article]

Article 802 (20 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (I Reid)
Subject: Beginner's Guide: Installation
Date: 2 Apr 92 22:18:33 GMT

This is an updated release of my guide to installing Linux. It mostly corrects
one or two errata but there are one or two new bits. It is being reposted
because the original is disappearing from many news feeds and I think there is
still a demand for it.

A plea for errors
-----------------

I've been fortunate.... for the most part installation of Linux has been easy
and completely trouble free for me. If you have had problems with installation
then please tell me what they were, where they were, what was on the screen,
how you fixed them etc etc.

The other thing to be said is....

I will be trying to keep this document up to date as new developments occur
(e.g. the new fdisk command) but there is probably not too much to be done
here. Is there any aspect of Linux which you feel isn't well covered in the
documentation available? Please let me know and I'll see if I want to work on
it (well, I have to enjoy myself doing it!).

Iain [[email protected]]

p.s. Mail on any subject is always welcome and I'll try to help with specific
problems if I can. Please check the FAQ and the other documentation if
possible 'cos many of the common problems are covered there.

p.p.s A rough contents list is

Section 1: First tests with floppies, rawrite etc
Section 2: Installing to hard disk (including non destructive partitioning)

A Beginner's Guide to Linux
---------------------------
Purpose
-------

This document is intended to be a complete beginner's guide to the
installation and running of Linux (a free Unix clone) and, as such,
tries to make as few assumptions as possible. However, some familiarity
with Unix at an "ordinary user" level (i.e. no sysadmin experience) is
assumed/required but I'll try to keep to a "hand-holding" level for anything
out of the ordinary. I don't intend this as a technical reference
guide, merely something to get you started and keep you clear of trouble!

I hope to cover everything you need to get "up and running"
but if not please let me know so that I can change things. Similarly,
if there is anything you think is a "must know", a useful tip, or a
waste of space please let me know so I can do something about it.
Email is best 'cos I can't guarantee to see all the stuff posted to
alt/comp.os.linux.

Hope this helps and happy hacking,

Iain Reid [[email protected]]

This document is quite big (and growing all the time). Despite this you might
find it helpful to print it out. I appreciate that this is damaging to
rainforests, aardvarks etc but then again, do you really want to be stuck in
the middle of something tricky with nothing to refer to if everything starts
to go wrong?

Errors: Where possible I have included details of potential errors and
troublespots (with solutions where known). These are marked as

[Error n]

where n is a number. A description of the error and solution etc can be found at the end of each section. I badly need feedback on these
(list of other problems etc 'cos this bit is a bit sparse at the moment)

Required abilities
------------------

To get Linux and keep up to date with new releases you will need
to be able to get files from your nearest Linux archive site,
uncompress some of them and transfer them to a DOS filesystem. If you
don't know how to do this you should ask someone at your local site to
show you because the exact method used is highly dependant on your
local hardware and software.

All the files and utilities mentioned should be available from the
Linux archive sites.

Ok, ready to start.... First and foremost....

BACKUP EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I don't expect you to have problems but if you do then why risk losing
everything? You'll need to do this before installing to hard disk
anyway so why not do it now?

Section 1. Preliminary testing (otherwise known as 10 steps to happiness)

Q. Will Linux run on my hardware?
A. If you have a 386Sx or above with 2 or more megabytes of memory
then the chances are that Linux will run but the easiest way to
check is to try running from floppy.

You will need - the current bootimage (bootimage-0.95a.Z)
- the current rootimage (rootimage-0.95a.Z)
- rawrite.exe (a utility to write the boot & root images
to floppy from within DOS)
- Two formatted floppies (2 x 1.2 Mb or 2 x 1.44 Mb but
both must be the same capacity)

It's up to you whether you use 1.2 Mb or 1.44 Mb disks but you
should use whichever type you can boot your machine from. For example,
my disk drives (under DOS) are

A: 3.5" 1.44 Mb floppy drive [ bootable ]
B: 5.25" 1.2 Mb floppy drive [ NOT bootable]
C: 110 Mb IDE Hard Disk [ bootable ]

In my BIOS setup program I can choose to boot from drive A or C so I
would choose 1.44 Mb floppy disks.

What to do:

1. Get the three files listed above from your nearest archive site.
2. Uncompress the boot and root images and transfer them plus
rawrite.exe to DOS
3. Run rawrite.exe and you should see something like the following
(type bootimage or rootimage where prompted and use whichever
drive you can boot from)

c:\> rawrite
Rawrite 1.2 - Write disk file to raw floppy diskette

Enter source file name: bootimage
Enter destination drive: a
Please insert a formatted diskette into drive A: and press -ENTER-:
Number of sectors per track for this disk is 18
Writing Image to drive A:. Press ^C to abort.
Track: nn Head: n Sectors: nn

4. Save bootimage (about 200 Kbytes) and rootimage (about 1100
Kbytes) to separate disks using rawrite as above. You should
see some information about tracks and sectors and the numbers
should keep changing until it is finished and the command
prompt comes back. Bootimage is fairly quick to transfer but
rootimage is sloooooow so leave it running and have a quick (3 minute)
cup of tea or something.

5. Reboot your machine with the boot floppy (i.e. the one with
bootimage on it) in your floppy drive. If all goes well your
floppy sho

Article 803 (19 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Blah Blah Blah)
Subject: hd.h in config95.a
Date: 3 Apr 92 04:38:02 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

Call me stupid, but I can't find the hd.h file when trying to patch and build a new kernel with the config95a patches. everything else works, and the patch resu lt shows no failures. I have looked around the tree and found no hd.h.
Just for the record, I'm using gcc2.0. (I also, I've patched many kernel s by now, just so no one asks me if I've ever done this before 8^] ).

Thanks for help.

Steve
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 804 (18 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (David H. West)
Subject: Non-destructive repartitioning (was Re: What is linux?)
Date: 3 Apr 92 05:30:59 GMT

> >> it is possible to non-destructively repartition under Messy-Loss.
> >
> >How can you repartition ms-dos drives without loosing info?
>
> [...] In princip~ql it's easy. In practice, it's difficult.
>
>Could someone with these instructions please mail them to me?

IMHO this info is important enough to merit a separate (i.e. findable)
file at the archive sites.

--
-David West [email protected]
"Animals, which move, have limbs and muscles; the earth has no limbs

[next article]

Article 805 (17 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (.)
Subject: Description of files?
Date: 3 Apr 92 06:29:57 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News)

I look at the nic.funet.fi sites, and thre are _tons_ of files there, and there
are 'indexes' that show all the files in the directory.

Is there anything similiar to the 00-Index.txt files on Simtel? that have
name & descrptions of each file? Also, where do things go? all in the usr
directory usually?

okay and 2 technical questions: (1) I got the gcc 2.1. but How do I make
a path for it so I can 'make' from any directory?

(2) I keep loggging in as root. how do I make a login?

(3) how do I copy from floppy to linux's hd? if I rawrite emacs.Z
to a floppy, & then

cp /dev/PS0 emacs.Z

it makes a 2880 block file. not much good.

(4) were these on any FAQ sheets? I looked around, but didn't find
any answers.

follow up or e-mail. Thanks in advance.

Frank Wang
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 806 (16 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Doug Liston)
Subject: LINUX problems on a EISA 486
Date: 2 Apr 92 21:26:43 GMT

I am having a problem with booting LINUX on my 486.

I have a Advanced Loginc Research 486/33 EISA machine with 17 MEG of
RAM on which I am trying to get LINUX "up and running". The boot and
root disks are correct (I have tried them at work on a COMPAQ 386).

Whenever I try to boot the system, I get to the part where it asks me if
I want to see the available SVGA modes and the the computer does a COLD
REBOOT. Does the memory POST tests and everything.

Any ideas? I thank you in advance for your superior knowlege and
assistance.

Thanks, Doug Liston

[next article]

Article 809 (15 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Roger Books)
Subject: Re: gcc2.0, are the two .Z files all that are needed?
Date: 30 Mar 92 14:09:10 GMT
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Chuck Boyer) wri tes...

>Very basic question, but are the '2lib.tar.Z' and '2misc.tar.Z'
>files the only two that are necessary to get gcc2.0 up and running?
>(is it 'ar' or 'as' the compiler complained about missing...
>for instance). And I'm the one writing the (DOS) Beginner's
>Guide to Linux/unix. (I appreciate the help knowlegable persons
>have given on correcting me on the first drafts...error's caught
>now...).
>thanks
>[email protected]
>chuck

I recently installed the GCC 2 stuff, 'as' was missing from 2 but is in
1.40. as86 does not work for GCC purposes.

Roger Books

[next article]

Article 810 (14 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Martin Junius)
Subject: Alt=Meta doesn't work with Emacs 18.5[78]
Date: 3 Apr 92 12:37:34 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Newsfiles Owner)

The emacs binary from tsx-11 doesn't recognize the left Alt key
as a meta key. stty tells cs8 and -istrip, it works with bash, so
why no with emacs?

Is there any way of getting the Alt key to work with emacs?

Martin
--
_____ _____
| |___ | Martin Junius FIDO: 2:242/6.1 2:242/6.0
|_|_|_|_____| W-5100 Aachen, Germany Phone: ++49-241-86931 (voice)

[next article]

Article 811 (13 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Martin Junius)
Subject: reboot() missing ...
Date: 3 Apr 92 12:41:32 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Newsfiles Owner)

Just tried to compile the small programs reboot.c and cad.c
posted to this newsgroup some days ago. gcc (version 1.40)
complains about undefined reference reboot. Looks like the
library (from gcc 1.40 binary on tsx-11) doesn't implement the
reboot() system call interface.

So: where to get reboot()?

Martin
--
_____ _____
| |___ | Martin Junius FIDO: 2:242/6.1 2:242/6.0
|_|_|_|_____| W-5100 Aachen, Germany Phone: ++49-241-86931 (voice)

[next article]

Article 812 (12 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Alex R.N. Wetmore)
Subject: Re: Linux and SX, maybe FAQ?
Date: 3 Apr 92 12:32:26 GMT

Excerpts from netnews.alt.os.linux: 31-Mar-92 Linux and SX, maybe FAQ?
by Dragan [email protected]
> I am going to get one 386SX/25MHz PC compatible with 2 Mb RAM, and 80 Mb
> hard disk, so I ask: is it possible to run Linux in this enviroment? I just
> get it over FTP, but if I can not use it, I will better not try to.
> Thanks. D. Cvetkovic
> [email protected]

Possible, yes. But you might want to spend an extra $100 (or more if
it costs more in germany) to get another 2 megs of memory.

alex

[next article]

Article 813 (11 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Dragan Cvetkovic)
Date: 3 Apr 92 14:00:36 GMT

[email protected] (Dragan Cvetkovic) writes:

> Hi! Maybe it is a FAQ, but I am new to this group. So, my question is:
>I am going to get one 386SX/25MHz PC compatible with 2 Mb RAM, and 80 Mb
>hard disk, so I ask: is it possible to run Linux in this enviroment? I just
>get it over FTP, but if I can not use it, I will better not try to.
> Thanks. D. Cvetkovic
> [email protected]
I got a few answers on my question. Thanks.
Dragan Cvetkovic

[next article]

Article 814 (10 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (William Michael Lye)
Date: 3 Apr 92 15:18:11 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

[email protected] (Michael K. Johnson) writes:

>Could someone with these instructions please mail them to me? I don't
>want to use it right now, but I should have some appendix in the
>manuals that explains how to do this with appropriate warnings.

>(I know how to change the PT, but how to modify the FAT was
>non-obvious when I looked at it yesterday)

>Thanks,

>michaelkjohnson
>[email protected]

It's actually quite simple. When you modified the partition table, you
reduced the number of sectors in the partition in addition to adjusting
the starting & ending cylinder/head/track numbers. You actually don't have
to modify the FAT. You just go into the DOS Boot Record, in DOS Logical
Sector 0. Look at the sector with a hex editor. The two bytes at offsets
13h and 14h give the total number of sectors (if there are fewer than 64K
sectors). If you have more than 64K sectors, the 4 bytes at 20h through 23h
give the total number of sectors. You simply change the appropriate value
to give the same number of sectors as you had in the Partition Table. Re-
boot, and it should work. This means that there is some space in the FAT
that is not used (the portion that was for the tail end of the partition)
but if you were to reduce the size of the FAT, you'd have to mess with the
file link-ups in the root directory, and start moving files around, major
FAT surgery.

If you want to be sure, you can use something like NU to write garbage to
the very last logical DOS sector, and then find it again on the disk in
the absolute cylinder/head/sector to make sure that it is indeed at the end
of the partition. Just be aware that DOS can leave a small number of un-
used physical sectors at the end of the partition because DOS always works
in terms of an integral number of clusters.

--
Bill Lye, [email protected]
SFU claims these views....NOT!

[next article]

Article 815 (9 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (I Reid)
Subject: Selection compile oddities
Date: 3 Apr 92 12:58:33 GMT

I decided to try the selection patches last night so, having patched
the kernel (0.95a + ps + HD timeout hack) I rebuilt and went off for a
mug of tea. Came back to find a general protection error but a
seemingly ok kernel build (i.e. make completed everything). Logged out
(well, tried to but the machine hung, waited 30 seconds to give it a
chance to sync... it didn't, then rebooted with the NEW kernel, compiled
up selection and all looked good (selection is brilliant.... if you
don't have it you should get it :-)).

I decided to rebuild the kernel to see if I got another general protection
error. Got two this time + a message about page tables (sorry forget the exact
wording). Tried a rebuild with the OLD kernel but the new kernel source- more
protection errors + a message about possibly corrupt memory.

I set up a fresh copy of 0.95a source, compiled it up under the old kernel
without problems. Rebooted with that and all was well. Patched in the ps
stuff, rebuilt and all went well. Rebooted and all was well. Saved all
the working kernel stuff and patched in selection. Compiled up and all
went well, rebuilt and all was well, rebooted and all was well (and is
still running as I write this). The only difference I can see between
what I did originally and what I did this time is that I did a kernel
clean (make clean) before patching the first time but not before the
second. It's all a bit odd anyway 'cos as far as I know my kernel source tree
was exactly the same on both occasions. Any ideas anyone?

Iain

p.s. Selection wanted TIOCLINUX which my /usr/include/termios.h didn't seem to
have so I copied the appropriate line from /usr/src/linux/include/termios.h and
everything seems to be ok. I thought all my include files were up to date but
maybe not.

[next article]

Article 816 (8 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (I Reid)
Subject: OAK SVGA recognition (80x86 assembler question)
Date: 3 Apr 92 12:59:58 GMT

I am trying to get Linux (0.95a) to recognise my SVGA board (Oak 0-67 Video
Bios with 512K RAM) and, after much searching, have finally managed to find
some details on how to recognise it. Unfortunately, my abysmally limited
knowledge of 80x86 assembly language is causing me problems and I need some
help. I would be eternally grateful if someone could give me a hand with this.

Thanks,
Iain

Info: (from vgadoc.zip)

here's a bit of hacked up pascal that correctly recognises my board
p.s I'm not a pascal programmer so I'm working on guesswork ๐Ÿ™

-----
procedure _oak;
begin
if testreg2($3de,$d,$ff) then
begin
name:='OAK 037C';
if testreg2($3de,$11,$ff) then name:='OAK-067';
end;
end;

function tstrg(pt,msk:word):boolean; {Returns true if the bits in MSK
of register PT are read/writable}
var old,nw1,nw2:word;
begin
old:=port[pt];
port[pt]:=old and not msk;
nw1:=port[pt] and msk;
port[pt]:=old or msk;
nw2:=port[pt] and msk;
port[pt]:=old;
tstrg:=(nw1=0) and (nw2>0);
end;

function testreg2(pt,rg,msk:word):boolean;
var old,nw1,nw2:word;
begin
port[pt]:=rg;
testreg2:=tstrg(pt+1,msk);
end;
----

I reckon I'm ok with

mov ax,#0xd <--- testreg2
mov dx,0x3de
out dx, ax

inc dx <--- testrg
in ax,dx

but I'm not sure how to handle the and not msk bit (and the couple of lines
after it). Which registers can I use? Can I push ax and cx out of the way, use
them as temp space and then pop them back?

The other info I've got is

----
OAK Technologies OTI-067 and 037C.

OTI037C apparently has max 256Kb and no banking registers.
OTI-067 has 256K or 512K and banking registers.

3DEh index Dh (R/W):
bit 7 512K if set, 256 else.

3DEh index 11h (R/W):
bit 0-3 Bank no (Read/Write or two separate banks ??)
4-7 Bank no
Note: Some sources gives this register as 3DFh with no index.

Bank Switching: (OAK OTI-067 Only)

Two banks exist in reg 3DEh index 11h.

ID Oak VGA:

if exist($3DE,$d) then
if exist($3DE,$11) then OAK_037
else OAK_067

Modes:

(OTI 067)

4Fh T 132 60 16 (8x8)
50h T 132 25 16 (8x14)
51h T 132 43 16 (8x8)
52h G 800 600 16 planar
53h G 640 480 256 packed
54h G 800 600 256 packed
55h G 1024 768 4 ??
56h G 1024 768 16 planar
57h G 768 1024 4 ??

(OTI037C "UNIQUE" VGA)

50h T 132 25 16 (8x14)
51h T 132 43 16 (8x8)
52h G 800 600 16 planar

(OTI037C with NEL Electronics BIOS)

50h G 640 480 16 planar
51h T 80 30 (16x9)
52h G 1024 480 16 planar
53h T 80 25 (16x8)
54h T 132 43 (8x8)
55h T 132 25 (14x8)
56h T 132 43 (8x9)
57h T 132 25 (14x9)
58h T 80 43 (8x8)
59h T 80 43 (8x9)
5Ah T 80 60 (8x8)
5Bh G 800 600 16
5Ch T 100 37 (16x8)
5Dh T 100 75 (8x8)
5Eh G 800 600 16
6Ah G 800 600 16
6Bh T 100 37 (16x8)

[next article]

Article 817 (7 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (DAVE EINSTEIN)
Subject: newgcc
Date: 3 Apr 92 16:08:25 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

To those installing gcc-1.40 this should be of help.

These are instructions for installing gcc-1.40 on Linux-0.95a.
Lunux-0.95a contains everything you need to install and run gcc 1.40
however an editor would certainly be helpful for testing.

You will need to get include-0.12.tar and newgcc.tar to your linux system.
It is probably easiest to uncompess them and Rawrite them to floopies under
DOS. You should also read newgcc.FAQ.

Now cd to / and untar the include files (include-0.12.tar)
For example if you have rawritten your uncompressed include-0.12
files to a 5 1/4 inch disk put your floppy in drive a: and type

tar -tvf /dev/at0 | more
(This shows you what files are in the tar, as well as detecting some errors. If Murphy's laws do not apply to you, you can skip it.)

tar -xvf /dev/at0
(This should write a bunch of *.h files into /usr/include . If you are
paranoid go to /usr/include and look at some of them.)

Now cd to /usr and untar newgcc.tar.
If you are working with rawritten floppies put in the floppy with
newgcc.tar and

tar -tvf /dev/at0 | more (for people with healthy paranoia)
tar -xvf /dev/at0

This will overwrite some of the include files from include-0.12,
don't panic, thats why you untarred the include files first.)

Now gcc looks for ccp and cc1 in /usr/local/lib while they are actually in
/usr/lib so you will need to create symbolic links with

ln -s /usr/lib/cc1 /usr/local/lib
ln -s /usr/lib/cpp /usr/local/lib

Now to test it create the file hello.c

#include

main()
{
printf("Hello Linux\n")
}

and compile it by

gcc -o hello hello.c

If you get a gp-fault here then the problem is probably 'as'
the as that comes with newgcc seems to have problems on some machines,
(it works fine on mine). Try getting the 'as' from gccbin.tar.Z, that
has helped some people with this problem.

There are still some problems with gcc-1.40. It will occasionally
die during compiles with optimization turned on, this is usually curable
by turning optimization off entirely ( no -O flag), sometimes by adding
-fcombine-regs or some other -f switch.

gcc 2.x:
There are various versions of gcc 2.x around. The gcc 2.x releases
come with much more extensive include files, libraries etc. However, please
realize that gcc-2.x and the the gnu libc and the new binutils are considered
to be PRE-BETA at the FSF end, and so wierd problems will occurr. In general
I have found gcc-1.40 to be quite sufficient for most uses, but if you really
need 2.x contact [email protected] to get on his list of testers. ( a copy
of gcc-2.x that you happen across on the net is almost gauranteed to be out
of date.)
Enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚
Dave Einstein

[next article]

Article 818 (6 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Michael K. Johnson)
Subject: Help, can't compile 0.95a!
Date: 3 Apr 92 18:33:34 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

From: [email protected] (Bill Bogstad)
>>I'm unable to compile Linux 0.95a, I have installed the new sources
>>and bootup with the 0.95a binary kernel image, using the old gcc (1.40?),
>>and I get and error "cc1 got return code 16" when compiling fork.c!
>>Does this anything to to with the old gcc compiler? Or do I need new librar y
>>for 0.95a?
>
> I can only offer my solution, not any reason why. It seems
>that my 4Meg of RAM is insufficient for this mem hog. ...

I have a 8 Meg system and also am having problems compiling fork.c.
I would have thought that would have been sufficient....

Read the FAQ -- search for -fcombine-regs. Basically, 1.40 needs
-fcombine-regs, which is not needed for 2.0. The sources come ready
to compile with gcc2 -- so you need to edit the makefiles to take out
the # comment before the line containing -fcombine-regs

michaelkjohnson
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 819 (5 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (gary a moyer)
Subject: virtual memory problems
Date: 3 Apr 92 18:34:31 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I have been having some trouble with swappping. I have a
2 meg machine. I have a swapfile of 4megs and it still
seems that I run out of memory using make on a 27k source
file. Is this right? Secondly, with swapping I run
into trouble using zmodem file transfer. Although I cannot
remember the exact errors from zmodem, I think its skips some
bytes and gets a bad block error. Anyone else had that problem?

Concerning swap file, how big should it be? I am using gcc 1.4
with either make or pmake (pmake is rougly 30k smaller). I figured
that with 4megs virtual + 2 megs on board would be enough.

Thanks. Gary Moyer

[next article]

Article 820 (4 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Dahai Li)
Subject: ps095, gcc2.1, and 2Meg
Date: 3 Apr 92 18:45:25 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

Hi H.J,

Thanks for the good work on GCC2.1. I have gcc2.1 running on a 2Meg 386,
with 4Meg swap space (it is painfully slow :-(), but it compiles 0.95a
kernel, mtools, ps095 without much trouble, except make tends to give a
segment fault after building one utility. So I just need to compile them
one by one :-().

Anyway, about ps095. I followed somebody's suggestion to use gcc2.1's
ctype.h rather than linux' ctype.h. I compiled successfully. But when I run
it, the same kind of failure as before.

It is possible that 2Meg RAM failed ps (rather than gcc2.1). I would like
to hear some one who succesfully run ps on a 2Meg 386.

I am going to try it on a 8Meg 486 later on, and see how it goes.

Looking forward to seeing your ps patch.

Regards

Dahai

[next article]

Article 821 (3 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Johan Rudolf Sundstr|m)
Subject: Linux doesn't recognize my HD
Date: 3 Apr 92 11:20:36 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet pseudouser id)

Hi

I would like to use Linux but it doesn't recognize my HD. I have a SCSI drive
and I think it is an Adaptec controller.(The machine is writing something
about Adaptec AT/SCSI bios when booting). I have tried following things:

Metod Status

bootdisk-0.95a.scsi Kernel panic: Unable to mount root

fdisk No result at all

fdisk.scsi floppy I/O error
dev 021c 63222 blocks
: No match

pfdisk Can't read/write to dev

mkfs Can't write to dev

My HD is about 160 Mb and I have one DOS partition (60 mb) and two Minix
partitions (50 MB resp. 50 Mb) made by edpart or part - I don't remember.
I don't think it will be of any help but my machine is a

ARCHE 386-25Mh Pro-file

Could someone help me please?

Thank You for any advice ๐Ÿ˜‰

[email protected]

--

[email protected] Skit happens all the time
[email protected] and then you marry one!

[next article]

Article 822 (2 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Guido Kueppers)
Subject: Disk formatting utility for 0.95a anyone?
Date: 3 Apr 92 20:21:57 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

Greetings,

there used to exist a format utility for 0.12 which I found rather useful.
Has anybody tried to bring this to 0.95a? The old patches don't apply anymore,
I think and I doubt that I have the expertise to fix it.

Guido

[next article]

Article 823 (1 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Theodore Ts'o)
Date: 3 Apr 92 21:00:34 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

From: [email protected] (Karl R. Buck)
Date: 3 Apr 92 06:55:26 GMT

As an aside: I really think the compiler is fast becoming the biggest
source of problems with Linux. It really is great that people are
donating their talents working on the latest and greatest versions of
gcc (first first 1.40, 2.0 now 2.1), but now there are rumblings on
the horizon about 2.2 and a reliable (what I define as reliable
anyway ๐Ÿ™‚ is still a thing of the future.

GCC 1.40 should be quite stable. GCC v2 is still in beta test, and so
of course it is not quite as reliable as we would all like it to be. I
wouldn't say that the compiler is "fast becoming the biggest source of
problems with Linux." GCC 1.40 for Linux has been unchanged since
version 0.10 or 0.12.

- Ted

[next article]

Article 824 in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)
Subject: Re: Linux doesn't recognize my HD
Date: 3 Apr 92 22:26:47 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Johan Rudolf S undstr|m) writes:
>Hi
>
>I would like to use Linux but it doesn't recognize my HD. I have a SCSI drive
>and I think it is an Adaptec controller.(The machine is writing something
>about Adaptec AT/SCSI bios when booting). I have tried following things:

Adaptec support in the generic SCSI package is "RSN" - I have Tommy's driver
patched in, and a new release in source and binary form will be made after
this weekend. Currently, the SCSI distribution only comes with
Ultrastor 14f and Seagate ST01/02 support.

If you want to be immediately aware of any changes, new revisions, etc of
the SCSI support, subscribe to the linux-scsi mailing list.

The request address is
[email protected],
the mailing list linux-scsi.

An archive of the latest SCSI distribution is maintained at the same
site.

[next article]

End of newsgroup alt.os.linux.

 December 31, 2017  Add comments