Category : UNIX Files
Archive   : INTLX005.ZIP
Filename : INTLX005.TXT

Output of file : INTLX005.TXT contained in archive : INTLX005.ZIP

From: [email protected] (Michael I Bushnell)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd,comp.unix.sysv386,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Networking 2 release, BSDI, etc
Date: 2 Mar 92 20:43:13 GMT
Sender: [email protected]
MT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected]
u (Mark Lanett) writes:

[email protected] (Jim Lick) writes:

>The other future development is the Gnu OS based on their 'Hurd'
>kernel. No telling when this will be out though.

Actually, the "GNU OS" will be a gnu filesystem (HURD) running on Mach
(the unix successor being developed by CMU).

The Hurd is far more than just a filesystem.

-mib
--
Michael Innis Bushnell | This is a virulent meme. Whether or not you place
Email: [email protected] | this into your signature file is irrelevant. You
| mission, and will doubtless continue to do so.

[next article]
Article 808 (3 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (david d 'zoo' zuhn)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd,comp.unix.sysv386,alt.os.linux
Date: 2 Mar 92 22:16:46 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Usenet News Administration)

AJS> See ftp.gnu.ai.mit.edu for the GNU Hurd sources.

Don't expect these to work, or even compile. These are just a
snapshot of the current source tree. This isn't a real release of the
HURD.

[next article]

Article 809 (2 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (tim)
Subject: tape drives...
Date: 3 Mar 92 00:59:19 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (tim)

has anyone done any work on drivers for a tape dirve? if so for what
kind and where can info/sources be acquired?

thanks,

--

-tim
[email protected]

[next article]

Article 810 (1 more) in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected] (Charles Hedrick)
Subject: gcc 1.40 libc.a: vXprintf, etc.
Date: 3 Mar 92 02:43:59 GMT

I've just seen the 4th person independently fix vXprintf. Please, can
we have whoever is maintaining the 1.4 libc bless the fixes, so each
individual user doesn't have to do them? I have already put what I
believe is a reasonable libc on athos.rutgers.edu:/pub/linux. It
fixes this and a couple of other things, and adds the time/date stuff.
There was recently a rerelease of the 1.4 stuff because of floating
point problems, but from the posting, it didn't sound like this
affected libc. So it should be possible to use the new gnulib from
that and my libc, date, etc.

[next article]

Article 811 in alt.os.linux:
From: [email protected]
Subject: ProComm: tty errors
Date: 3 Mar 92 03:15:07 GMT

ProComm doesn't seem to want to echo back my session when I connect to a
computer. It doesn't send any output to my tty, even though the echo is
on. From another Virtual Console I can cat the data to that tty, so at least
I know I'm receiving something. Its probally something stupid I didn't Config
quite the way ProComm wants me to do it, but what????

From: [email protected] (Eric_Munson)

Subject: ARGGG
Date: 3 Mar 92 03:49:43 GMT

I recently got linux, and I have enjoyed playing around with it, it
looks to be a good alternative to other more expensive operating systems.
However I have a couple questions.
1. In release 0.13 or 0.95 I guess now, will it be distributed in a
more orderly fashion? I am having a very hard time finding and then
figuring out what goes where.
2. Is there a list of what the most current patches are? I have seen
so many in the mail list that I have given up trying to patch my
0.12 release.

Thanks.

--
Eric Michael Munson [email protected]
1148 Fairhaven "Man is a feeling creature..."

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Michael K. Johnson)

Subject: Re: bug fix for the new gcc 1.40
Date: 2 Mar 92 15:51:27 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

In article [email protected] (Ben Lippolt) writes:
[email protected] (Hongjiu Lu -- Graduate Student) writes:
>I just fixed a FP bug in gnulib, a bug in sqrt(0.0) of libsoft.a and put
>a new newgcc.tar.Z on tsx-11.mit.edu.

I've been looking on tsx-11 about once a day since the first announcement
of gcc-1.40, but I'm unable to find it. "/incoming" is unreadable and I
can't find it anywhere else. What's the status of it?

You can find it in the file
tsx-11.mit.edu:pub/linux/binaries/compilers/newgcc.tar.Z

michaelkjohnson
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (David Tucker / KC4ZGO)

Subject: Cawf, regexp: gcc can't hack it.
Date: 3 Mar 92 05:20:04 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I thought I saw a post where someone talked about a gcc unknown insn
error, but now I can't find it. Anyway that's my problem. Running
pmake on cawf, gcc quits in regexp at line 270 (regcomp) saying
that the insn was unrecognizable. Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

David Tucker / KC4ZGO / [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Al Clark)

Subject: Re: initial tty speed
Date: 3 Mar 92 04:46:05 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (A dam Thompson) writes:
>BTW: so when will 0.13 be out? I'm waiting... 'cause I just got my new
>9600/v22/v32/v32b/v42/v42b/MNP5 modem, and can't use it at anything faster
>then **4800** baud !!
> (serial port: loses characters...)

I'm using 0.12 with my 9600 ....MNP5 modem, no problems at 19200. Even
with kermit transfers I see no retransmissions. But my hardware has
NS16550 UARTS.
--
Al - [email protected] - My opinions are my own.
*** Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty! ***

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Rick Kelly)

Subject: Re: Running linux in < 500kB
Date: 3 Mar 92 03:24:02 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (D.Bolla) writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Mark William Hopkins) writes:
>> If someone's got the time and inclination, please modify the kernel so that
>>it can run in < 500kB RAM. No UNIX has any business using more than that.
>Considering the price of ram I suggest you buy more ram instead of
>Coherent. You can use the ram for DOS too ๐Ÿ™‚

500k of ram would be practically useless for Coherent. I run news and mail
on my Coherent system ( 386/33 ) and I have seen my memory usage climb above
the 3 meg mark on a regular basis.

>>Maybe better algorithms (that's what Coherent prides itself on, justifiably)
>>or something need to be used. If I have to go out and buy memory extensions,
>>then I might as well just save the trip and spend money on a Coherent or the
>>like.
>Well... Yes old UNIX was running on 64k ram. Today you want more...

Coherent = 64k code + 64k data + whatever you can stuff on the stack. And
there are virtual memory routines that can be used to extend the data space
of a process.

>> The idea of free public domain software is to get something that can run on
>>most machines without having to spend any money. Far too many machines are
>>being excluded by the 2MB limitation.
>I still think that 2MB is a fair number considered the price of ram today !
>BTW: How much does Coherent cost ?

Coherent costs $100.

Actually, 2 meg on an Intel box is more like 1.7 meg because of the no man's
land between 640k and 1 meg.

--

Rick Kelly [email protected] unixland!rmkhome!rmk [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Brian Mcbee)

Subject: signal(), elvis, and mmap
Date: 3 Mar 92 05:17:19 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

1. Is it my imagination, or does signal() not work under the new gcc 1.40
and library? Or am I doing something wrong...

2. I would really like elvis if there was something mapped to backspace.
I am constantly reaching for the backspace key in insert mode. Sorry,
instead do escape, x, a. I suppose I should just get the source and fix it,
eh?

3. Thanks to zorst for mmap and ega! It has allowed me to hack together
a mandelbrot set viewer under Linux. Great fun. Now if I could just get
it to return to 132x44 mode when it is done...

--
Brian McBee [email protected] or [email protected]
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Rwo-Hsi Wang)

Subject: Re: ProComm: tty errors
Date: 3 Mar 92 08:26:18 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:
>ProComm doesn't seem to want to echo back my session when I connect to a
>computer. It doesn't send any output to my tty, even though the echo is
>on. From another Virtual Console I can cat the data to that tty, so at least
>I know I'm receiving something. Its probally something stupid I didn't Config
>quite the way ProComm wants me to do it, but what????

I have the same problem with the Pcomm I downloaded from tsx-11.mit.edu.

Rwo-Hsi

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dylan Smith)

Subject: Re: emacs
Date: 3 Mar 92 10:38:47 GMT

In article [email protected] (Troy E Bull ) writes:

>Does anyone have a way to get the arrow keys to work in the non - micro
>emacs version. The version I got is from tsx-11.mit.edu, and my arrow
>keys don't work and I couldn't find a command to redefine them. Anyone
>had any more luck????

It dosen't work on our Solbournes (SunOS 4.1) unless you have certain things
in your .emacs file - this is probably the case with Emacs. Unfortunately,
I can't remember what these 'certain things' are, I'm going to try the
settings we have on the Solbournes under Linux.
--
Email : JANET [email protected] | Everywhere else [email protected]
FidoNet Address 2:252/204 | Data (v22/v22bis) phone 0491 875104

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dylan Smith)

Date: 3 Mar 92 10:36:22 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Rick Kelly) writes:

>Coherent might run on a 512k machine. The docs seem to say that you must
>have at least 640k. The kernel seems to allocated about 250k of memory for
>buffers and drivers. When I am expiring news and doing compiling and data
>transfers simultaneously, I get up in the 3 to 3.5 meg area of memory usage.
>I guees a 512k machine could be used if swapping was enabled, but it would
>be like watching paint dry.

True. People comparing coherent with Linux aren't comparing like with like.
Coherent is an inferior OS which can only run executables 64k or smaller,
where as Linux is a real UNIX in comparison.

From: [email protected] (Mark Saltzman)

Subject: shell under emacs?
Date: 3 Mar 92 13:32:14 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I can't get a shell to run in a window under emacs. I noticed in the
diffs something that appeared to deactivate this ability for linux. Did
I see this correctly? Is there no way to run a shell in the linux
version? Do I need to install the kernel patches that came with emacs?

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ron Pool)

Date: 3 Mar 92 13:46:06 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

In article [email protected] (Rwo-Hsi Wang) writ es:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] u writes:
>>ProComm doesn't seem to want to echo back my session when I connect to a
>>computer. It doesn't send any output to my tty, even though the echo is
>>on. From another Virtual Console I can cat the data to that tty, so at least
>>I know I'm receiving something. Its probally something stupid I didn't Config
>>quite the way ProComm wants me to do it, but what????
>
>I have the same problem with the Pcomm I downloaded from tsx-11.mit.edu.
>
>Rwo-Hsi

I'm the one who ported pcomm. I'm using it with a kernel that has the non-
blocking i/o patches that accompanied another package (I think it was mg).
It may be possible that those patches make pcomm work for me.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Karl R. Buck)

Date: 3 Mar 92 13:48:48 GMT

[email protected] (Dylan Smith) writes:

>In article [email protected] (Troy E Bul l) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone have a way to get the arrow keys to work in the non - micro
>>emacs version. The version I got is from tsx-11.mit.edu, and my arrow
>>keys don't work and I couldn't find a command to redefine them. Anyone
>>had any more luck????

There are two places you should look in order to answer this question.
First try downloading the emacs FAQ which I believe addresses this
question. Also, you might try taking a look at how it is done in
Demacs, the Messy-dos port of emacs. Both are available at
ftp.math.ksu.edu in /pub/pc/demacs/*.zip and
/pub/pc/demacs/misc/emacsfaq.zip.
--
Karl R. Buck Department of Mathematics Just say "no" to stupid
email: [email protected] Kansas State University ascii amiga checkmarks.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Thomas David Rivers)

Subject: Re: Killing init, shutdown, reaping zombies, anoying kernel messages
Date: 3 Mar 92 12:26:10 GMT

Although I completely agree with everything that was mentioned
regarding init, etc... I would like to point out that most of the
vixie-cron zombies should be going away in version 0.13; when
some signal handling (SIG_CHLD particularly) is (hopefully) cleaned
up....

Also; would we like another device for annoying kernel messages; or
some special handling of certain control characters for the console.
I know on some boxes, CNTRL- indicates that kernel messages
are no longer printed on the console; CNTRL- re-enables
them. I found that feature very helpful in the pre-X days.

- Dave Rivers -

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Adam Goldberg)

Date: 3 Mar 92 14:11:05 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)
Originator: [email protected]

Mark Hopkins writes:
[<500k stuff]

In <[email protected]> [email protected] (Rick Kelly) writes:
>500k of ram would be practically useless for Coherent. I run news and mail
>on my Coherent system ( 386/33 ) and I have seen my memory usage climb above
>the 3 meg mark on a regular basis.
> [...]
>Actually, 2 meg on an Intel box is more like 1.7 meg because of the no man's
>land between 640k and 1 meg.

This is not strictly true. Most motherboards map the missing 384k above
1M. ie, if you have a board with 2 meg, you get memory in the 0-640k
region, and memory in the 1M - 2.384M region.
--
Adam Goldberg ! Ask me how IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY is
[email protected] ! censoring my usenet access!!

From: [email protected] (D.Bolla)

Subject: Re: Easy video mode changes, nonstandard disk support, and v86 mode
Date: 3 Mar 92 15:53:43 GMT

[Talking about text based DOS programs]

>running KA9Q in another process, or after SL/IP support is added to the LINUX
>kernal!

A 386 or even a 486 coupled with the ISA architecture is NOT the best thing
to start playng with access to multiple resources.
I mean:
Have you tried with your Sun386i to run kermit at 19200 + compile + run one
of the DOS programs ? How is the kermit going ? How is the speed of the
machine ?
NOTE that the Sun386 is probably NOT an ordinary PCAT compatible.... it is
probably BETTER for UNIX !

>I don't want to run DOS for the GAMES, I want to run DOS for the commercial
>programs that just aren't or won't be ported to LINUX!
I believe that if Linux is:
FAST
STABLE
STANDARD ( with reference with posix and SysVr4 )
Support X11
You will have much better programs than under DOS.

Of course if it is
SLOW
UNSTABLE
it is less probale that this happens

>DOS trickery shouldn't have to be coded into the MM. However, if DOS tasks
Well...
The point is that DOS assumes that the machine is ALL for him !
Believe me, it is NOT simple. It is NOT simple to create a complete
virtual machine that is USABLE.

>should need something special added, that should not be a reason not to do it.
>espicially if its a simple thing to do! (I don't know, would it be a simple
The point is:
You believe that it simple.....
Yust TRY to do it !
I like better to try to port X11 or TCP-IP

>change?) I don;t wish to force instability in the kernal, but I also
>don't like some of the anti-DOS attitudes being aired around here here
>lately. It IS possible for DOS to run nicely under UNIX, SUN proved it!

The DOS you are talking is just one part of the DOS that there is around
This part is fading away as more and more windows applications come out.

If you want DOS + other stuff around just buy OS/2.

Before flaming... just remembar that I am not sayng that it is not
possible. I am not sayng that it should not be done. What I am sayng is
that FIRST we implement:

A STABLE linux
With TCP-IP
IPC
X11
Posix and AT&TSysVr4 compliant

Damiano

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Teresa Selling)

Date: 3 Mar 92 16:08:50 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

In article [email protected] (Rwo-Hsi Wang) writ es:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] u writes:
>>ProComm doesn't seem to want to echo back my session when I connect to a
>>computer. It doesn't send any output to my tty, even though the echo is
>>on. From another Virtual Console I can cat the data to that tty, so at least
>>I know I'm receiving something. Its probally something stupid I didn't Config
>>quite the way ProComm wants me to do it, but what????
>
>I have the same problem with the Pcomm I downloaded from tsx-11.mit.edu.
>
>Rwo-Hsi

I have a slightly different problem. It appears that the parity isn't being
set because I get garbage when connected to a 7-E-1 unix host. Suggestions
anyone?
--
Teresa Selling, IUSB, Indiana.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Subject: Re: signal(), elvis, and mmap
Date: 3 Mar 92 17:18:05 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Brian Mcbee) writes:

>2. I would really like elvis if there was something mapped to backspace.
>I am constantly reaching for the backspace key in insert mode. Sorry,
>instead do escape, x, a. I suppose I should just get the source and fix it,
>eh?

The touch typist can basically use VI without leaving home row. Just
use h,j,k,l when not in insert mode for left, down, up,right respectively.
In insert mode, CNTRL-H is backspace. Ant cntr-[ is escape to get you out to
: mode.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Branko Lankester)

Subject: ps uploaded to funic.funet.fi and tsx-11.mit.edu
Date: 3 Mar 92 14:10:42 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

I have uploaded the version of ps I have written for Linux to
funic.funet.fi and tsx-11.mit.edu (file ps012.tar.Z).

You have to apply some patches to the kernel before you can use
ps, the patches are for /dev/kmem and /dev/mem and a few other
fixes necessary for ps. Maybe it's a bad time to upload these
patches, with a new version of Linux beeing released in a few days,
but some people might want to experiment on the old kernel first.
I'll upload patches for version 0.13 when it's out.

Branko Lankester - [email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (I Reid)

Subject: Q's.: HD Boot, Oak SVGA, cm in termcap?
Date: 3 Mar 92 15:48:21 GMT

3 questions for anyone who can help...

1. Several people (myself included) want to boot entirely from HD but not using
shoelace (last time I looked at it I wasn't impressed). So, I have Linux fully
installed in it's own partition, swap partition set up etc but can only boot
using floppy as my first stage. How do I get the boot image (as generated by
make in /linux) onto the first track/sector of my Linux partition. Is this what
I need to do? As far as I can remember from last time I played with my
partition table I have to get part of it (first 512 bytes) into track 1/sector
0 (or is it 0/0?) and I have to edit my partition table to make the partition
bootable. What then? Where does the rest of the stuff in the image go? What
should it be called? Any clues anyone?

2. Oak SVGA.... anyone using one? I have one which Linux recognises as a SVGA
but doesn't give me a choice of modes so I'm stuck with 80x25 instead of 132x60
or whatever. Any hints?

3. I got fed up with kermit 'cos it kept losing the first coloumn of output
from nn when I logged on to my local unix host. I assumed this was a kermit bug
but now I'm not so sure. I wrote my own basic comms program and logged on. NN
produced the same results (writing directly to stdout.... p.s. have I killed my
/dev/tty or does it not work.... root owns it and doesn't like me opening it)
so I tried again with a logfile active. It is packed with ansi sequences
(mostly cursor motion (cm in termcap) and has ALL the information... column 1
and all) present so, why is the display mucking up? My terminal is the con80x25
entry which I assume is doing a vt100 implementation (as is the remote end) so,
any known "undocumented features"?

Any help gratefully acknowledged,

Iain

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: Tape drive warning...
Date: 3 Mar 92 18:56:43 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

I have an Irwin Accutrak 250 tape drive in my system and decided to see how
difficult it would be to write a driver to support it under Linux. I called
Irwin (apparently now owned by Maynard) and was told that they cannot give out
technical information on their drives!

So, does anyone know of a drive manufacturer with a more sane policy? I had
been a fan of Irwin drives but now find myself having to recommend that people
look elsewhere. Irwin *must* release specs under some circumstances as some
third party backup software supports Irwin drives!

Although Irwins are not true QIC-80 drives, does anyone know where I could get
information on how QIC-80 drives interface with the floppy controller?

On another front, it's great to see the SCSI drivers out. Great work, Drew!
I have an UltraStor 14F on order and plan to start a low-level driver for it
as soon as the specs arrive.

Dave Gentzel
*Join the League for Programming Freedom*
*Do you want to see any Linux authors sued for patent infringement?*

From: [email protected] (Rodney Armstrong)

Date: 3 Mar 92 19:22:24 GMT

I'm not sure this will make the newsgroup but here goes.
I had the same problem with Pcomm not echoing chars. I was
bringing it up while logged in as root. I tried with a different
user name and it worked! (altho I still had (have) problems with
the dialing directory). I can't quite make the connection why it
doesn't work with root, but, that's the way it works.

Rod

[next article]
From: [email protected] (John (MacGyver) Richardson)

Subject: Help with ESIA / ISA
Date: 3 Mar 92 18:52:10 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News manager - ulowell)
Originator: [email protected]

I'm about to buy a 486 and I am in cycles about buying a ESIA or a
ISA bus with it.

First, will linux be able to utilize the faster bandwith of the
ESIA bus if I have a scsi controller? Or will it not make much of a
difference? Will swapping be more bareable with ESIA?

When X finally gets devolped will it make sense to have the ESIA then
so the bandwith of an advanced SVGA card can be utilized?

So... can someone help me? Which should I buy? Money counts but
isn't the most important factor. I need performance a little better then
that of a DECstation 3100. (IE I don't need opaque moves but if it is
possible it would be nice :), but I'd like to have very quick response).

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Paul Richards)

Subject: parse errors
Date: 3 Mar 92 20:48:15 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Network News System)

I'm trying to compile tr.c from the bsd sources and I get the followinf
errors

extern.h:50 parse error before `__P'
extern.h:51 parse error before `__P'

the offending lines are

void err __P((const char *fmt, ...));
int next __P((STR *));

It looks like a macro but I don't know where from.

I also get an error in tr.c about optind not being declared, which it
isn't. Has anyone ported this and had this problem?

Also, I compiled patch but I first had to remove a line

int sprintf();

as far as I remember. Anyway, this line conflicts with the definition in
stdio.h, both the old one and the gcc 1.40 version. The conflict is not
whether it should be char or int but the emtpy ellipses. Does anyone
know anything about this?

While I'm raising queries, does bash support job control. When I run
bash the job command isn't recognised. It works fine under /bin/sh.
What is /bin/sh? I had assumed it was bash but they're obviously
different.
--
Paul Richards at Cardiff university, UK.

[email protected] Internet: spedpr%[email protected]
UUCP: [email protected] or ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!cf!thor!spedpr
+++

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Greg Lee)

Date: 3 Mar 92 23:17:14 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News Service)

In article [email protected] ell.edu (Ron Pool) writes:
}...
}I'm the one who ported pcomm. I'm using it with a kernel that has the non-
}blocking i/o patches that accompanied another package (I think it was mg).
}It may be possible that those patches make pcomm work for me.

I don't have those patches installed, but pcomm works (basically).
The first time I tried, though, because (not having read the document)
I didn't realize I had to make a dialing entry with no phone number
in order to connect directly with the modem, I also had a blank screen.
Perhaps others were as hasty as I?

--
Greg Lee

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Nick N.)

Subject: Hardware with Linux.
Date: 3 Mar 92 23:27:58 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News)

I am looking into Linux as a possibility for a 486 based UNIX system. I
was wondering what recommendations there are for hardware that would work
best with it. ie. What kind of motherboard, hard drives, controllers, etc.

Thanks,

Nick Nafpliotis
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (S3679988)

Date: 3 Mar 92 22:59:22 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

In [email protected] writes:

> In article [email protected] (Rwo-Hsi Wang) wr ites:
> >In article <[email protected]> [email protected]. edu writes:
> >>ProComm doesn't seem to want to echo back my session when I connect to a
> >>computer. It doesn't send any output to my tty, even though the echo is
> >>on. From another Virtual Console I can cat the data to that tty, so at least
> >>I know I'm receiving something. Its probally something stupid I didn't Confi g
> >>quite the way ProComm wants me to do it, but what????
> >
> >I have the same problem with the Pcomm I downloaded from tsx-11.mit.edu.
> >
> >Rwo-Hsi
>
> I'm the one who ported pcomm. I'm using it with a kernel that has the non-
> blocking i/o patches that accompanied another package (I think it was mg).
> It may be possible that those patches make pcomm work for me.

I have similar problems, but, it does work , what i do is this:

i dial, then i do a pass-through ^A-T for 5 secs. when it returns
from that, things work perfectly -- they aslo work during the pass through.
I am running an unmodified 0.12 kernel.

-- craig hagan

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Wayne P. Myers)

Subject: Linux installing bootimage
Date: 4 Mar 92 00:37:49 GMT

Linus,
I have an IBM(compatible) 386sx with 8meg of memory and two hard drives that add up to 100mb storage capacity. I had no problem booting up linux 0.12 but in the install docs it said that I had to change a word at offsets 508, and 509 in the bootimage. Fir
stly I haven't been able to get the bootimage over onto the hardrive, and I have n't got a clue as to how to alter an offset, (whatever that is),
in a binary file, or is the bootimage source readily available. I really want to learn a lot more about unix, and that's why I want to install a unix like os. I 'm an ex-VMS enthusiast, but when I was forced to learn Unix(by my boss), I lear ned how powerfu
l an operating system UNIX really is. Anyway I'm kinda new to this stuff, so if you help with some clues, it would be greatly appreciated.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Paul Allen)

Subject: Re: Tape drive warning...
Date: 4 Mar 92 03:26:02 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

[email protected] wrote:

[...about brain-dead tape drive manufacturers who won't release
their specs to driver writers...]

I have a CMS QIC-40 drive and had the same problem. The manufacturers
all seem to think that their DOS-based backup utilities give them
some sort of advantage, and they don't want competition. The good
news is that you can get the relevant standards documents for free
just by asking.

Here is an exerpt from the comp.os.minix posting that got me
pointed in the right direction:

|I got the QIC-40 specs *free* from the standards committee. Write to
| Freeman Associates
| Management Consulting
| 311 East Carillo St.
| Santa Barbara, CA 93101
|Ask for QIC-117 Rev A 19 Apr 88 "Common Command Set Interface Spec
|for Flexible Disk Controller Based Mini Data Cartridge Tape Drives"
|and QIC-40 Rev E 18 Sep 87 "Flexible Disk Controller Compatible
|Recording Format for Information Interchange using 1/4-inch Mini Data
|Cartridge Magnetic Tape Drives 40 Megabyte Capacity 20 Tracks,
|10000Bpi, MFM Encoded" and QIC-107 Rev A 5 Jun 86 "Basic Drive
|Interface for Flexible-Disk-Controller Compatible 1/4-inch Mini Data
|Cartridge Tape Drives"

This data is from Oct, 1989, and is probably out of date. If I remember
correctly, Freeman Associates has an 800 number that you can get by
calling 1-800-555-1212. I spoke with a nice woman who mailed me
what I needed the next day. If you want something other than
QIC-40, you might just ask for a list of the available standards
and then use that to determine what you really need.

Whether the QIC documentation will actually help you write a driver
remains to be seen. I've corresponded with several people over the
years who were interested in creating a Minix QIC-40 driver, but
I haven't seen one yet. All I've got for the time I spent on it
is some code that doesn't work and fond memories of many hours
spent hacking. ๐Ÿ™ I'll return to it someday.

Paul Allen
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ben Lippolt)

Subject: MGR + Cntl<->Caps + selecting video mode
Date: 3 Mar 92 22:13:57 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USEnet News)

A number of totally unrelated questions:

Has anybody tried to compiled MGR on Linux? I got the sources (with
patches for Minix), but before I'll try it I'd like to know if anybody
already did this. Or would it be better to wait for v0.13/0.95 and GCC-2.0?
Is everything I need for MGR available, or are some things missing?

I would like to exchange the Control and CapsLock keys. How do I do this?

When I boot from floppy I get the chance to choose a video mode. Since I
boot directly from my HD (with pfdisk and shoelace) I just see the menu
flashing by. I doesn't stop and I always end up in the standard 80x25 mode.
What to do about this?

Thanx.

Ben.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ben Lippolt)

Subject: Bug in gcc-1.40 libc (in sscanf)
Date: 3 Mar 92 22:26:30 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USEnet News)

I probably discovered a bug in the libc which came with gcc-1.40.
The following little program illustrates it.

----
#include
#include

main()
{
int id, len, res;
char *argp = "100 200";

res == sscanf(argp,"%i%n", &id, &len);
printf("res=%i, id=%i, len=%i\n", res, id, len);
}
----
It produces the following output:
res=0, id=100, len=200

According to the SunOS manual-page of sscanf it should be:
res=1, id=100, len=3
(this same program on the Sun actually produces: res=0, id=100, len=3)
This same bug might also be in the scanf and fscanf routines. I took a quick
look at the code of scanf.c, but decided I had to learn more about it than
I aspired to to solve this bug.

BTW. I used the libc-binary from tsx-11.

Ben.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (A. V. Le Blanc)

Subject: Re: interim release
Date: 3 Mar 92 09:23:19 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (cs87ejh) writes:
>Is anybody prepared to make an interim distibution of Linux (ie something
>between .12 and .13|.95.
>
>I am getting snowed under different libraries, floating point, compilers
>and patches. It would be nice to have a complete set of patched kernel,
>libraries etc at a decent version.

Several people have requested that an interim version of linux
be made available. I have been working on this for some time,
but the idea of having a tidy distribution with readme files
and full instructions is apparently out of reach due to lack
of time. I have in any case decided to make my day-to-day
interim versions available in the directory pub/linux/mcc-interim
on the same machine. It currently contains three subdirectories:
disks, patches, and sources.

I do not want to cause a lot of hassle with this, but please
let me know if any changes should be made. I have not applied
all possible patches, but I have included quite a few, including
swapon, poe-igl, and other updates.

-- Owen
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (A. V. Le Blanc)

Subject: Patches to poe-igl 1.2
Date: 2 Mar 92 15:35:31 GMT

I have adopted the following patches to the poe-igl release
1.2 files.

Note:
(1) I have added -s to gcc rather than strip the binaries as part
of the install target, in case 'make install' is not used.
(2) I have added getlogin, putenv, setenv, and utmp2 to libc.a, and
hence not compiled them here.
(3) I have made 'clean' a dependency of 'Clean' for the sake of
those of us who use 'egrep clean Makefile'.
(4) In last.c and who.c I have changed the abbreviated terminal
name to the expanded one. This eliminates the irritating use,
for example, of 'so' as an abbreviation for 'console'.
(5) I have removed the motd bits from login.c, since this is better
done in /etc/profile.
(6) I have made the library routines more ANSI and eliminated
some inconsistencies in the header files. Note in particular
that the definition of getdtablesize in param.h is not
consistent with the existing definition in stdio.h.

A. V. Le Blanc
University of Manchester
[email protected]

diff -rc2N poe-IGL/Makefile poe-new/Makefile
*** poe-IGL/Makefile Sat Feb 22 23:12:03 1992
--- poe-new/Makefile Mon Mar 2 06:07:35 1992
***************
*** 3,16 ****
# All this code is freely distributable.

! CC = gcc
CFLAGS = -O -I.

! loginobj = login.o utmp2.o putenv.o setenv.o
! whoobj = who.o utmp2.o
encryptobj = encrypt.o
lastobj = last.o
! gettyobj = agetty.o utmp2.o
initobj = simpleinit.o
! writeobj = write.o utmp2.o getlogin.o

.c.o:
--- 3,16 ----
# All this code is freely distributable.

! CC = gcc -s
CFLAGS = -O -I.

! loginobj = login.o
! whoobj = who.o
encryptobj = encrypt.o
lastobj = last.o
! gettyobj = agetty.o
initobj = simpleinit.o
! writeobj = write.o

.c.o:
***************
*** 17,25 ****
${CC} ${CFLAGS} -c $*.c

! all: libufc.a login who encrypt last agetty hostname init getlogin.o \
write

install: all
- strip login who encrypt last agetty hostname init write
cp login init agetty /bin
chmod 744 /bin/init /bin/agetty
--- 17,24 ----
${CC} ${CFLAGS} -c $*.c

! all: libufc.a login who encrypt last agetty hostname init \
write

install: all
cp login init agetty /bin
chmod 744 /bin/init /bin/agetty
***************
*** 65,68 ****
rm -f *.o

! Clean:
! rm -f *.o login who encrypt last agetty hostname init libufc.a write
--- 64,67 ----
rm -f *.o

! Clean: clean
! rm -f login who encrypt last agetty hostname init libufc.a write
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/last.c poe-new/last.c
*** poe-IGL/last.c Wed Feb 12 22:52:57 1992
--- poe-new/last.c Sun Mar 1 14:04:09 1992
***************
*** 8,11 ****
--- 8,12 ----
#include
#include
+ #include

main(int argc, char *argv[])
***************
*** 22,29 ****
(void)lseek(fd, (off_t)sizeof(struct utmp), SEEK_END);

! printf("Tty User Time\n");
while((pos = lseek(fd, (off_t)-2*sizeof(struct utmp), SEEK_CUR)) >= 0) {
(void)read(fd, (char *)&ut, sizeof(struct utmp));
! printf("%2s %-8s %s", ut.ut_id, ut.ut_user,
ctime(&ut.ut_time));
}
--- 23,30 ----
(void)lseek(fd, (off_t)sizeof(struct utmp), SEEK_END);

! printf("Tty User Time\n");
while((pos = lseek(fd, (off_t)-2*sizeof(struct utmp), SEEK_CUR)) >= 0) {
(void)read(fd, (char *)&ut, sizeof(struct utmp));
! printf("%-12s %-8s %s", ut.ut_line, ut.ut_user,
ctime(&ut.ut_time));
}
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/login.c poe-new/login.c
*** poe-IGL/login.c Wed Feb 26 21:58:20 1992
--- poe-new/login.c Sun Mar 1 14:02:10 1992
***************
*** 84,88 ****
*/

! #define TESTING

#ifdef TESTING
--- 84,88 ----
*/

! #undef TESTING

#ifdef TESTING
***************
*** 145,148 ****
--- 145,149 ----
#define TTYGRPNAME "other"
#endif
+ #define MAXPATHLEN _POSIX_PATH_MAX

/*
***************
*** 626,630 ****
struct stat st;

! motd();
(void)sprintf(tbuf, "%s/%s", _PATH_MAILDIR, pwd->pw_name);
if (stat(tbuf, &st) == 0 && st.st_size != 0)
--- 627,631 ----
struct stat st;

! /* motd(); */
(void)sprintf(tbuf, "%s/%s", _PATH_MAILDIR, pwd->pw_name);
if (stat(tbuf, &st) == 0 && st.st_size != 0)
***************
*** 730,733 ****
--- 731,735 ----
#endif

+ /*
jmp_buf motdinterrupt;

***************
*** 752,755 ****
--- 754,758 ----
longjmp(motdinterrupt, 1);
}
+ */

checknologin()
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/param.h poe-new/param.h
*** poe-IGL/param.h Wed Feb 12 22:52:58 1992
--- poe-new/param.h Thu Feb 27 08:54:45 1992
***************
*** 6,10 ****
#define HZ 100
#define EXEC_PAGESIZE 4096
- #define getdtablesize() (NR_OPEN-1)

#define NGROUPS 32 /* Max number of groups per user */
--- 6,9 ----
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/putenv.c poe-new/putenv.c
*** poe-IGL/putenv.c Wed Feb 12 22:52:58 1992
--- poe-new/putenv.c Sun Mar 1 12:36:35 1992
***************
*** 16,20 ****
not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave,
Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. */
- #define USG
#include
#include
--- 16,19 ----
***************
*** 41,46 ****
/* Put STRING, which is of the form "NAME=VALUE", in the environment. */
int
! putenv (string)
! char *string;
{
char *name_end = index (string, '=');
--- 40,44 ----
/* Put STRING, which is of the form "NAME=VALUE", in the environment. */
int
! putenv (char *string)
{
char *name_end = index (string, '=');
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/setenv.c poe-new/setenv.c
*** poe-IGL/setenv.c Wed Feb 12 22:52:58 1992
--- poe-new/setenv.c Sun Mar 1 13:01:02 1992
***************
*** 7,16 ****
#include
#include

void *malloc();

! void setenv(var,val,overwrite)
! char *var,*val;
! int overwrite;
{ char *p;
if(!overwrite && getenv(var))
--- 7,15 ----
#include
#include
+ #include

void *malloc();

! void setenv(char *var, char *val, int overwrite)
{ char *p;
if(!overwrite && getenv(var))
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/simpleinit.c poe-new/simpleinit.c
*** poe-IGL/simpleinit.c Fri Feb 28 20:15:57 1992
--- poe-new/simpleinit.c Sun Mar 1 14:05:43 1992
***************
*** 12,16 ****
#include

! #include "param.h"
#include "pathnames.h"

--- 12,16 ----
#include

! #include
#include "pathnames.h"

Binary files poe-IGL/ufc/crypt.o and poe-new/ufc/crypt.o differ
Binary files poe-IGL/ufc/crypt_util.o and poe-new/ufc/crypt_util.o differ
Binary files poe-IGL/ufc/ufc and poe-new/ufc/ufc differ
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/utmp.h poe-new/utmp.h
*** poe-IGL/utmp.h Tue Feb 25 21:40:58 1992
--- poe-new/utmp.h Sun Mar 1 12:43:30 1992
***************
*** 45,47 ****
void endutent(void);

! #endif
\ No newline at end of file
--- 45,47 ----
void endutent(void);

! #endif
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/utmp2.c poe-new/utmp2.c
*** poe-IGL/utmp2.c Wed Feb 19 19:33:26 1992
--- poe-new/utmp2.c Sun Mar 1 12:39:15 1992
***************
*** 5,9 ****
conform to the XPG2 and SVID2 standards */

! #include "utmp.h"
#include
#include
--- 5,9 ----
conform to the XPG2 and SVID2 standards */

! #include
#include
#include
diff -rc2N poe-IGL/who.c poe-new/who.c
*** poe-IGL/who.c Mon Feb 17 19:57:14 1992
--- poe-new/who.c Sun Mar 1 12:55:37 1992
***************
*** 13,20 ****
setutent();

! printf("User TTY Login-time\n");
while(ut = getutent()) {
if(ut->ut_type == USER_PROCESS)
! printf("%-8s %-2s %s", ut->ut_user, ut->ut_id,
ctime(&ut->ut_time));
}
--- 13,20 ----
setutent();

! printf("User tty Login-time\n");
while(ut = getutent()) {
if(ut->ut_type == USER_PROCESS)
! printf("%-8s %-12s %s", ut->ut_user, ut->ut_line,
ctime(&ut->ut_time));
}
***************
*** 21,23 ****
endutent();
}
!
\ No newline at end of file
--- 21,23 ----
endutent();
}
!
***************
-- End of patches --

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Theodore Ts'o)

Subject: Re: gdb 4.4 available
Date: 4 Mar 92 06:02:35 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 92 20:24:01 PST

I just uploaded gdb 4.4 for linux to tsx-11. It should work with
the ptrace in (0.13). I hope Linus didn't change things too much.
Please move it into the linux subdirs.

It's now in ~ftp/pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin/gdb-4.4.tar.Z on
tsx-11.mit.edu.

From: [email protected] (Branko Lankester)
Date: 3 Mar 92 14:10:42 GMT

I have uploaded the version of ps I have written for Linux to
funic.funet.fi and tsx-11.mit.edu (file ps012.tar.Z).

Now in ~ftp/pub/linux/sources/sbin/ps012.tar.Z on tsx-11.mit.edu.

- Ted

[next article]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (c t wilson)

Subject: need help with libcurses/probs with printw
Date: 4 Mar 92 15:26:58 GMT

I just installed Linux this weekend and, having installed the gcc 1.40,
(don't have the old one), I have tried a simple compile with the old
libcurses I found on tsx-11. It barfed (of course ๐Ÿ™‚ on the defs
for stdin and stdout, so I rebuilt it with gcc 1.40, and everything
seemed fine until I reached link time while porting torus (robots..
gotta have *one* game ๐Ÿ™‚ I got this error:

/usr/lib/libcurses.a (printw.o):undefined symbol _fwopen referenced
from text segment

I went and looked at printw.c and saw this def:

extern FILE *fwopen();

in _sprintw()

To make a long story short, I grabbed libc-0.12 and grepped everything..
no fwopen. Could someone point me to a fix for this? Is there a patch?
Is fwopen in some other libsource that I could grab?

thanks in advance,

Tom Wilson

[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Paul C. Janzen)

Date: 4 Mar 92 16:46:47 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Dylan Smith) writes:
>In article [email protected] (Troy E Bul l) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone have a way to get the arrow keys to work in the non - micro
>>emacs version. The version I got is from tsx-11.mit.edu, and my arrow
>>keys don't work and I couldn't find a command to redefine them. Anyone
>>had any more luck????
>
>It dosen't work on our Solbournes (SunOS 4.1) unless you have certain things
>in your .emacs file - this is probably the case with Emacs. Unfortunately,
>I can't remember what these 'certain things' are, I'm going to try the
>settings we have on the Solbournes under Linux.
>--
>Email : JANET [email protected] | Everywhere else [email protected]
> FidoNet Address 2:252/204 | Data (v22/v22bis) phone 0491 875104

The "certain things" are the map from the characters the keyboard actually
sends to the actions that you want to perform. (I usually use just a bunch
of (global-set-key)'s). But alas, my favorite trick for finding out what
keys emacs is getting doesn't quite work.

This bit of elisp is from the Emacs FAQ.

(defun see-chars ()
"Displays characters typed, terminated by a 3-second timeout."
(interactive)
(let ((chars "")
(inhibit-quit t))
(message "Enter characters, terminated by 3-second timeout.")
(while (not (sit-for 3))
(setq chars (concat chars (list (read-char)))
quit-flag nil)) ; quit-flag maybe set by C-g
(message "Characters entered: %s" (key-description chars))))

You type M-x see-chars, bang on a bunch of function keys, and then
Emacs (is supposed to) tell you what it got.

BUT ALAS!!!! This bit HANGS my emacs most heinously. It won't respond
to anything; fortunately, it doesn't kill my other virtcons's off.
Boo. So I've been using C-n and C-f, until I can go in and figure out
1) what's hanging Emacs and 2) what characters the f- and arrow-keys
actually send.

If anyone knows why this lisp hangs, PLEASE let us know, and better yet,
tell us how to fix it.

Thanks!

Paul C. Janzen From too much love of living, From hope
[email protected] and fear set free, We thank with brief
thanksgiving, Whatever gods may be, That
no life lives forever, That dead men rise
up never, That even the weariest river
winds somewhere safe to sea. --
Swinburne

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Steven Sweeney)

Subject: Keeping track of versions of the Source Code
Date: 4 Mar 92 17:18:41 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

Last night I was playing with the lp.12.tar.Z package trying to make it
work, and I seemed to misplace /src/linux/include/checkpoint.h probably
because I didn't backup my source code before patching. ๐Ÿ™

I'm not complaining I didn't backup the original source, what bothers me
is when I went to tsx-11.mit.edu to get original source code back on
my machine, checkpoint.h was not to be found. Forgive me if this
file was deleted/replaced and I did not catch it on a.o.l or this list.

This leads me to believe that the source code package linux-0.12.tar.Z should
have a README (even though these are far and few between) that states the
date of package creation.

Does anybody agree?

Steven M Sweeney
[email protected]
[email protected]

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Undergraduate Association of Computing Science)

Subject: mount/umount errors
Date: 4 Mar 92 17:15:37 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (News Administrator)

I have installed Linux 0.12 on my Opti 386/25 with 2 meg of RAM. It works
quite well, with the following exception:

after booting off of floppy, mkfs /dev/hd2 62000
That worked (Actually, I used -c)

mount /dev/hd2 /u0

That worked. Copied everything over, and shut the unit off (syncing first).

After that, I changed the boot disk so it would boot off of the hard
disk (take / as /dev/hd2). That worked. This doesn't:

mkfs /dev/fd1 1000
(this works)
mount /dev/fd1 /u1
mount: error 2

fsck /dev/fd1
(this works)

NOW.... I boot off of floppy (floppy as /).
mount /dev/hd2 /u0
mount: error 2

What did I do wrong? I always exited and sync'd the fs. I tried a fresh
boot and root image, and it won't mount /dev/hd2.
Apparently, error 2 is ENOENT (file not found?), but fsck, mkfs, mkswap,
ls, even cat, all know that /dev/hd2 exists. But mount does not.

Other than that, I am pleased with Linux and all of its utilities.

Could you please mail to my email address of [email protected]
(or post). This account gets used by several students for rn purposes.

-------
Dale Ulan ([email protected])

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Marc CORSINI)

Subject: Re: emacs, Arrows how make them avail.
Date: 3 Mar 92 21:18:02 GMT

Hi,
Below is part of my .emacs to handle the arrows key, it works
The code key can be found by C-q Keypressed
Hope this helps
Marc
------8<---->8-----
;;; et si on utilisait les touches du pave num pour emacs ???

(global-unset-key "\e[")
(setq esc-c-map(make-keymap))
(fset 'esc-c-prefix esc-c-map)
(define-key global-map "\e[" 'esc-c-prefix)
(define-key global-map "\e[B" 'next-line)
(define-key global-map "\e[A" 'previous-line)
(define-key global-map "\e[C" 'forward-char)
(define-key global-map "\e[D" 'backward-char)

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: Nice new ps comments ๐Ÿ™‚
Date: 4 Mar 92 18:48:27 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Just a small point.....
I installed the new ps. I like it ! I have much more informations now ! Good
Just that I had to take away the "optimization" that is double !!
to have it working... ( I had incorrect readings from /dev/kmem )
Is is just me or there is a problem with the following optimization ?

! switch (rw) {
! case READ:
!! while ((count -= 4) >= 0)
!! put_fs_long(*((long *) p)++,
!! ((unsigned long *) buf)++);
!! count += 4;
! while (--count >= 0)
! put_fs_byte(*p++, buf++);
! break;
! case WRITE:
! while (--count >= 0)
! *p++ = get_fs_byte(buf++);
! break;
! default:
! return -EINVAL;
! }
! p -= *pos;
! *pos += (int) p;
! return (int) p;

Damiano

P.S. The piece of code can be found in /usr/src/linux/fs/char_dev.c under
the routine that handle the /dev/kmem read.
BTW: I think that writing /dev/kmem should not be allowed.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Matthew Edward Patton)

Subject: Need some info.
Date: 4 Mar 92 19:23:03 GMT

I am a student at Carnegie Mellon Univ. and have run across some mention
of a 386 unix written by someone in MIT , the OS being named linux.
Hence, my posting on this board. At CMU we are developing what is known
at MACH (same idea as linux but huge) and I was interested in possibly
running my 386-33 with 8mg ram as a unix box on occation. Could someone
be so kind as to refer me to some informational messages, FAQ's etc that
deal with the practicality of using linux, whether it uses XWindows, how
much space (HD) it needs, where to find the software, can Dos
applications run under it. Is it compatible with Qemm and Desqview
(QuarterDeck Office Systems) or does it totally ignore such software in
bootup, etc. etc.

Basically I need some info on this OS.

All help much appreciated.

"Oh, Hey! I jsut love these things!...
Crunchy on the outside and a chewy center."
[scene of polar bear eating an igloo (and occupant). from FarSide Jan 22]

Matthew E. Patton Box 2098
1060 Morewood Ave.
412-268-3937 Pittsburgh PA 15213

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ben Lippolt)

Subject: Re: Bug in gcc-1.40 libc (in sscanf)
Date: 4 Mar 92 19:05:49 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USEnet News)

Yesterday I reported a bug in sscanf in the new libc.
Dan Stromberg mailed me a small problem with the example program I used.
Instead of
res == sscanf(argp,"%i%n", &id, &len);
it should be:
res = sscanf(argp,"%i%n", &id, &len);
This solved the problem with the return value, but the problem with the
incorrect handling of the "%n" still remains.

----
main()
{
int id, len, res;
char *argp = "100 200";

res = sscanf(argp,"%i%n", &id, &len);
printf("res=%i, id=%i, len=%i\n", res, id, len);
}
----
It now produces the following output:
res=2, id=100, len=200
^^^wrong!

Thanks Dan,

Ben.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ben Lippolt)

Subject: Re: MGR + Cntl<->Caps + selecting video mode
Date: 4 Mar 92 19:21:17 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USEnet News)

[email protected] (Dan Stromberg) writes:
>In article you write:
>>
>>Has anybody tried to compiled MGR on Linux?
>
>The primary focus seems to be getting X, and not MGR, as far as GUI's goes.
>I gather MGR is perhaps "more in tune with the unix philosphy", but X
>has really caught on, and there's a lot of good free stuff written for
>it.

I too would love to have X, but how long is it going to take before we
have a stable version; 2 months, 6 months, a year? So basically I was
asking how difficult it would be to get MGR up and running. If it can be
done quickly without too much trouble it might be nice way to pass the
time until X arrives.
BTW. My question about how long it will take to get X running is a serious one.
Does anybody have any idea how long it might take. I'm even interested in
very rough estimates.

>>Is everything I need for MGR available, or are some things missing?
>I suppose you could probably do it all with a working /dev/port, and
>/dev/mem.

What's /dev/port?
I normally work on Sun and there is no /dev/port. Still MGR works on Sun.

> - Dan

Ben Lippolt.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Dylan Smith)

Date: 4 Mar 92 19:26:57 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (G reg Lee) writes:
>In article [email protected] nell.edu (Ron Pool) writes:

>I don't have those patches installed, but pcomm works (basically).
etc.

Obviously you have Pcomm - where did you get it from? The compressed file from
tsx-11 appears to be corrupt - it won't compress either on Linux (hangs) or
our Sun4 (makes a file over 40Mb long)

Thanks.

From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Subject: Re: Need some info.
Date: 4 Mar 92 20:30:31 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article [email protected] (Matthew Edw ard Patton) writes:
>I am a student at Carnegie Mellon Univ. and have run across some mention
>of a 386 unix written by someone in MIT , the OS being named linux.

Linus Torvalds - he's Finish and not an MIT hacker

>Hence, my posting on this board. At CMU we are developing what is known
>at MACH (same idea as linux but huge) and I was interested in possibly
>running my 386-33 with 8mg ram as a unix box on occation. Could someone
>be so kind as to refer me to some informational messages, FAQ's etc that

Back postings of this news group, either one of the archive sites tsx-11.mit.edu
/pub/linux, nic.funet.fi /pub/OS/Linux

>deal with the practicality of using linux, whether it uses XWindows, how

It's fairly practical - most software runs out of the box. The patches
floating around, some of which made it into .95, make it even more so.
Right now, X is not supported. However, there is a mmap(2) patch (didn't
make .95), and a socket emulation library that does UNIX domain sockets ,
.95 has shared libraries, so we should be able to get X up without
too many problems, using the stock X386 server. Some people are working
on it.

>much space (HD) it needs, where to find the software, can Dos

I have every utility imagineable, except EMACS, full kernel / library
source, other source, spare kernels, object code from kernel builds,
all in a 32M partition, of which ~14M are free.

Software can be found at either of the above mentioned archive sites in
binary form - most programs will compile "out of the box" - as the
C compiler (gcc) is ansi compliant, with full headers and
libraries.

>applications run under it. Is it compatible with Qemm and Desqview
>(QuarterDeck Office Systems) or does it totally ignore such software in
>bootup, etc. etc.

Linux is a real operating system. The kernel boots itself off of floppy using
BIOS, then kicks into protected mode and ignores BIOS completely. DOS is
nowhere in the picture (other than the fact that mtools can read / write
DOS files)

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ron Pool)

Date: 4 Mar 92 21:02:39 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

>Obviously you have Pcomm - where did you get it from? The compressed file from
>tsx-11 appears to be corrupt - it won't compress either on Linux (hangs) or
>our Sun4 (makes a file over 40Mb long)

I just grabbed pcomm12.tar.Z from tsx-11.mit.edu in /pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin
and unpacked it on a SPARCstation 2 running SunOS 4.1.2. It uncompressed and
untarred without any problems. This file contains binaries, documentation,
and config files only -- no source. I don't recall where the source file is,
but I can look for it and try unpacking that too.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Troy E Bull)

Subject: RCS
Date: 4 Mar 92 21:52:14 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USENET News System)

Why do I get the message: Please set logname who are you?

And is there a FAQ or some documentations for it??
--
Does a machine that imitates human beings perform any useful service at all?
(We are not running short of human beings.)

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Drew Eckhardt)

Date: 4 Mar 92 21:55:44 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Daily Planet)

In article [email protected] writes:
>[email protected] (Dan Stromberg) writes:
>>

>I too would love to have X, but how long is it going to take before we
>have a stable version; 2 months, 6 months, a year? So basically I was

Linux is getting more SYSV / POSIX compatable. A memmap(2) call has been
added, as well as UNIX domain socket emulation in the socket library. This
will allow the use of a virtually unmodified x386 server - the only
changes being IO read/writes with /dev/port IO in place of the assembler
in / out.

>>>Is everything I need for MGR available, or are some things missing?
>>I suppose you could probably do it all with a working /dev/port, and
>>/dev/mem.

/dev/mem will be slower than memmap()ing the frame buffer into your user
space.

>What's /dev/port?

/dev/port is basically like /dev/mem or /dev/kmem, only it reads/writes from/to
IO space not memory.

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Kevin Brown)

Subject: Re: parse errors
Date: 4 Mar 92 22:49:41 GMT
Sender: [email protected]

Don't know if anyone responded to this via email or not...

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Paul Richards) writes:
>I'm trying to compile tr.c from the bsd sources and I get the followinf
>errors
>
>extern.h:50 parse error before `__P'
>extern.h:51 parse error before `__P'
>
>the offending lines are
>
>void err __P((const char *fmt, ...));
>int next __P((STR *));
>
>It looks like a macro but I don't know where from.

I don't know what header file defines it, but if you can't find the
definition, then try putting the following before line 50:

#ifdef __STDC__
#define __P(x) x
#else
#define __P(x)
#endif

The offending lines are attempting to do prototyping if it's supported.

> Paul Richards at Cardiff university, UK.
>
> [email protected] Internet: spedpr%[email protected]
> UUCP: [email protected] or ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!cf!thor!spedpr
>+++

Kevin Brown ([email protected])

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Ben Lippolt)

Subject: Patch for exchange of Ctrl and CapsLock keys
Date: 4 Mar 92 22:07:40 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (USEnet News)

Yesterday I asked how to exchange the function of the Control and
CapsLock keys (I simply can't get used this aspect of the PC keyboard; I'm
used to normal Unix keyboards). I got the tip to look in keyboard.S (thanks
Dan) and did it myself. Here's a patch for "kernel/chr_drv/keyboard.S"

Ben Lippolt.
----
*** keyboard.S-old Wed Mar 4 22:13:16 1992
--- keyboard.S Wed Mar 4 22:22:05 1992
***************
*** 520,522 ****
.long do_self,do_self,do_self,do_self /* 18-1B o p } ^ */
! .long do_self,ctrl,do_self,do_self /* 1C-1F enter ctrl a s */
.long do_self,do_self,do_self,do_self /* 20-23 d f g h */
--- 520,522 ----
.long do_self,do_self,do_self,do_self /* 18-1B o p } ^ */
! .long do_self,caps,do_self,do_self /* 1C-1F enter ctrl a s */
.long do_self,do_self,do_self,do_self /* 20-23 d f g h */
***************
*** 527,529 ****
.long do_self,minus,rshift,do_self /* 34-37 . - rshift * */
! .long alt,do_self,caps,func /* 38-3B alt sp caps f1 */
.long func,func,func,func /* 3C-3F f2 f3 f4 f5 */
--- 527,529 ----
.long do_self,minus,rshift,do_self /* 34-37 . - rshift * */
! .long alt,do_self,ctrl,func /* 38-3B alt sp caps f1 */
.long func,func,func,func /* 3C-3F f2 f3 f4 f5 */
***************
*** 552,554 ****
.long none,none,none,none /* 98-9B br br br br */
! .long none,unctrl,none,none /* 9C-9F br unctrl br br */
.long none,none,none,none /* A0-A3 br br br br */
--- 552,554 ----
.long none,none,none,none /* 98-9B br br br br */
! .long none,uncaps,none,none /* 9C-9F br unctrl br br */
.long none,none,none,none /* A0-A3 br br br br */
***************
*** 559,561 ****
.long none,none,unrshift,none /* B4-B7 br br unrshift br */
! .long unalt,none,uncaps,none /* B8-BB unalt br uncaps br */
.long none,none,none,none /* BC-BF br br br br */
--- 559,561 ----
.long none,none,unrshift,none /* B4-B7 br br unrshift br */
! .long unalt,none,unctrl,none /* B8-BB unalt br uncaps br */

From: [email protected] (Rick Kelly)

Date: 4 Mar 92 03:38:08 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Dylan Smith) writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Rick Kelly) writes:

>>Coherent might run on a 512k machine. The docs seem to say that you must
>>have at least 640k. The kernel seems to allocated about 250k of memory for
>>buffers and drivers. When I am expiring news and doing compiling and data
>>transfers simultaneously, I get up in the 3 to 3.5 meg area of memory usage.
>>I guees a 512k machine could be used if swapping was enabled, but it would
>>be like watching paint dry.

>True. People comparing coherent with Linux aren't comparing like with like.
>Coherent is an inferior OS which can only run executables 64k or smaller,
>where as Linux is a real UNIX in comparison.

I wouldn't exactly call Coherent inferior, it just has different goals.
Coherent 286 is a good implementation of Version 7, while Linux is coming
up to speed as an implementation of SYSTEM V. Coherent 386 will be more
of a SYSV os, and will ship with all the tools that it has currently.

Back in 1981 there was a UNIX clone that ran on the 8088 called Coherent.
A guy named Andrew Tannenbaum decided that he wanted to develop a UNIX-like
os for teaching purposes. The development platform was Coherent. In 1991
a guy named Linus Torvald decided he was sick of Minix and wrote Linux using
Minix as the development platform. At some point, someone will decide that
they can write a much better kernel than Linux. And they will use Linux as
the development platform.

Coherent -> Minix -> Linux -> ?

There has to be a certain amount of sophistication at every level to develop
something that surpasses the previous generation.

From: [email protected] (Lawrence C. Foard)

Subject: X windows person where did you go?
Date: 5 Mar 92 00:18:04 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

Would the person at kodak.com that was working on X please send me
e-mail. Your old address disappeared and I have your socket emulation
library working with tubes instead of PTY's.

I hope we didn't lose X ๐Ÿ™

[next article]
From: [email protected] (Jiansheng Zhao)

Subject: mtools
Date: 5 Mar 92 01:13:43 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

Where can I find mtools' binary file? only sources code can be found at
tsx-11.mit.edu.
Thanks.

[next article]
From: [email protected]

Subject: Undeliverable Mail
Date: 5 Mar 92 02:19:25 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (Mr Background)

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 92 20:54:24 EST
From: jim wiegand
Subject: net etiquette
To: [email protected]

hi all;
normally i am an easy-going fellow but this has been a bad week for me.
so i'll take it out on you all ๐Ÿ™‚

PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE if you download a package PLEASE read
EVERYTHING that comes with it.

there must have been 20 messages or so in the past two days that
went like this:

> i downloaded x and i can't get it to do y

and his brothers:
> i'm looking for foo and i can't find it
> the file george is missing the author must be a creep
> when is feature zzyzzyx going to be written i don't have the time

i guess this is kind of redundant for all of you nice folk already
reading this news letter.

a couple of ideas:
use ARCHIE.RUTGERS.EDU to search for files ( telnet: login archie )
send E-MAIL to the package authors ( they WANT to know! )
READ the documentation ( and not after you've gotten it to work! )
FTP as much as you can. As Stroustrup said there are millions of
lines of code out there. Port something to Linux!
READ the source code! It really is 'creative writing'.

well i guess i've wasted enough space saying there's too much mail.
i just HAD to say something. and this IS better than digital controls
homework.
jim the cranky [[email protected] -- no .sig just BEEF]

ps anybody still need the make fixed for uids !=0 ?

Archive   : INTLX005.ZIP
Filename : INTLX005.TXT

  1. Very nice! Thank you for this wonderful archive. I wonder why I found it only now. Long live the BBS file archives!

  2. This is so awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€ I’d be cool if you could download an entire archive of this at once, though.

  3. But one thing that puzzles me is the “mtswslnkmcjklsdlsbdmMICROSOFT” string. There is an article about it here. It is definitely worth a read: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/mtswslnk/