How to Install The Desktop Internet Reference
- The Desktop Internet Reference is a Windows Help file and uses
- the program winhelp.exe, supplied with Microsoft Windows
- 3.x as a presentation utility. You NEED Windows 3.x to use
- the Desktop Internet Reference.
* Quick Installation Directions:
Copy the file DIR10.HLP to a directory where you want it to reside;
most people copy it to C:\DIR10. Then, create an icon in Program
Manager by choosing "File" - "New" - "Program Item" and filling
in the "Program Item Properties" with the following information:
Description: Desktop Internet Reference
Command Line: WINHELP C:\DIR10\DIR10.HLP
Working directory: C:\DIR10
* Longer Installation Directions:
- You first need to copy the Desktop Internet Reference file,
DIR10.HLP, to a directory on your hard drive.
- If you know how to use the File Manager, copy DIR10.HLP to
a directory on your hard drive called "C:\DIR10"
If you want to use DOS to copy the file: first type "C:", then
type "MD C:\DIR10" and finally "COPY A:\DIR10.HLP C:\DIR10"
- Load Windows up. The Program Manager is the first thing
you see when windows starts up.
- From the Program Manager, use your mouse to click on FILE
from the pull down menu.
- Click on NEW.
- A dialog box titled "New Program Object" appears. Use your
mouse to click on the OK button.
- A new dialog box appears titled "Program Item Properties" and a
cursor appears next to a label titled "Description"
- Use the keyboard to type in "Desktop Internet Reference" - do not
type the quotation marks!
- Press the Tab key or use your mouse to move the cursor to
the box which has the "Command Line" label to the left of it.
- Use the keyboard to type in "WINHELP C:\DIR10\DIR10.HLP"
- Press the Tab key or use your mouse to move the cursor to the
box which has the "Working Directory" label to the left of it.
- Use the keyboard to type in "C:\DIR10"
- Press the Enter key or use your mouse to press the button
- A new icon titled "Desktop Internet Reference" appears. Press
return or double click the icon to run it.
3520 Connecticut Ave, #33
Washington DC 20008