COMMUNICATIONS FROM AESC:

Date: 01-29-87 (09:09) Number: 696
To: ROBERT FLORES Refer#: NONE
From: MARTY BRANCAMP Read: NO
Subj: PC GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

Robert, thanks much for PC Gazette; I especially appreciate "Tiny Gems"
like TinyPrint and QT. I found it difficult to get around the gazette
at first but have gotten used to the scrolling. I hope someday I can
contribute something; right now I'm learning by leaps and bounds!
Marty

Date: 01-29-87 (09:13) Number: 697
To: ALL Refer#: NONE
From: MARTY BRANCAMP Read: (N/A)
Subj: UPLOADS/ Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

This is one of the greatest boards I've ever seen and I see numerous
files I'd like to have. Since I've only been at this a month or so, I
really don't have much to upload, though I do upload files to a couple
of the smaller boards. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my
upload/download ratio might be pretty bad for a while, I'll eventually
contribute more than I take. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?
The messages are more fun than the files!
Marty
Date: 02-04-87 (05:26) Number: 733
To: MIKE SABOT Refer#: NONE
From: RENE BOISVERT Read: NO
Subj: PC BOARD Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

Hi Mike, Great board here!
We're just started running PC Board for our users group in Portsmouth,NH
We 're part of the Boston Computer Society. We started using Fido but
found that it was very limited. There's better support for forums.
I'd read the PC Gazette that I got from you yesterday. What a great
magazine!! Would it be possible that we could offer it on our board?
Let me know, I'll be back on in a couple of days. Our temp phone for the
board is in Maine right now, but we have new equipment and 2 phones
lines going in NH, in the next week. Temp # 207-439-5150.
I like seeing good boards with more to offer than files.
<< Rene >>

Date: 02-04-87 (08:02) Number: 736
To: RENE BOISVERT Refer#: 733
From: SYSOP Read: YES
Subj: PC BOARD Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

Rene, all you have to do, is leave a comment to Robert Flores in the
Gazette conference on this board or any Net board. He will get back to
you.

Date: 01-28-87 (20:46) Number: 50
To: ROBERT FLORES Refer#: NONE
From: PAUL WILLIAMS Read: NO
Subj: PCG Status: RECEIVER ONLY

Hi Robert,
A friend and I were encouraged to begin a type of computer magazine
of our own. We were wondering if you could give us a few hints from
experience.
Thanx,
Paul Williams
.
P.S.-What program do you use to make your text so even? Is it public
domain?
Directory Assistance
--------------------
/
--------------
\
-----------
REPLY:
1: I use PC Write to produce the text files that I author. I am not sure
2: what the other authors use. The program uses a few routines that I
3: either wrote or modified to display the scrolling.

Date: 02-02-87 (01:45) Number: 51
To: ROBERT FLORES Refer#: NONE
From: JEFF HIBBARD Read: NO
Subj: ARTICLE? Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

Will there be an article on the best of P.D. programs of 1986? I have
yet to see ANY publication discuss any of the programs that I think are
terrific. (i.e. Fconsole, E88, SST, Comm. packages {Procomm, Qmodem, or
the new kid GT Powercomm}, Arc programs (has anyone else noticed that
SEA has started advertising commercially? Sure seems strange to think
that since everyone knows that no one pays for P.D. software that
writing it is a labor of love and paying for commercial space to
advertise it is sheer lunacy. (Hmmm...wonder if someones' assumptions
might not be off?) What about an article on the relative merits of the
'average` P.D. software vs. the average commercial stuff. (Personally, I
think that the P.D. side has a distinctive edge overall).

-JC

REPLY:
1: We had the Readers Poll and it was not very well supported. As far as
2: someone saying this program is the best and that one is not....it is
3: only relative. It depends on what YOU like. But you bring up some good
4: points to consider for future articles....Thanks..
5:

Date: 02-04-87 (23:55) Number: 52
To: ROBERT FLORES Refer#: NONE
From: JIM SLEMENDA Read: NO
Subj: BETA BITS Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

In Beta Bits for January, Automaxx is pretty highly recommended as an
upgrade of an earlier program, Automenu. While the latest version
definitely has some added features, the problem is that Mr. Smith never
bothered to get the permission of the author of Automenu to use his
program. In other words, he swiped a piece of copyrighted shareware.
The author of Automenu is Marshall Magee of Atlanta. His attorney has
been in touch w/Smith, and they're apparently going round and round.
The version of Automenu that Smith used is an earlier version of
Automenu, the most recent shareware version being 3.01. Marshall has
now gone commercial with version 4.0, although he does intend to release
that in a shareware version also. Smith even copied parts of the
documentation word-for-word. For more information, you can contact
Marshall W. Magee at Magee enterprises, 6577 Peachtree Industrial Blvd.,
Norcross, GA 30092-3796. His phone is 404-446-6611.
Plagiarism is not dead.

REPLY:
1: Thank you for bringing out those facts. I will pass them on to Tim
2: Conner (who authored Beta Bits)....Robert
3:

COMMUNICATIONS FROM MICROSELLER
===============================

Date: 12-30-86 (23:35) Number: 1
To: ALL Refer#: NONE
From: SYSOP Read: (N/A)
Subj: THIS CONFERENCE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

I am happy to announce that MicroSellar has joined the PC-Gazette Net-
work of bulletin board systems. As a result, the PC-Gazette conference
has been born, where support will be provided by Robert Flores, editor
of this extraordinary electronic magazine. Please address all mail to
him, as he will be checking in on a weekly basis. All issues of the
magazine have been moved into this conference, where they will be avail-
able for downloading. Additionally, I have shifted the PC-Gazette door
from the main board to this conference, where you will be able to read
the latest issue online. Your support is requested to make this con-
ference a success. Thanks, and enjoy!

Date: 01-04-87 (11:43) Number: 4
To: SYSOP Refer#: NONE
From: JEFF SUMBERG Read: YES
Subj: PC-GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

I downloaded one of the gazettes last night and I must say Im impressed.
What I wanted to ask you however was is this a private thing, or may I
upload the issue to the sailboard for others to enjoy. I wont do
anything till I know what the story is.

Date: 01-04-87 (13:16) Number: 5
To: JEFF SUMBERG Refer#: 4
From: SYSOP Read: YES
Subj: PC-GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

It took you long enough to take the plunge ! The PC-Gazette
magazine is slickly done, as I said, and I'm glad that you liked it.
All issues are available for download in this conference, and may be
distributed freely. Posting of the issues on your bbs is, by all means,
encouraged.

Date: 01-04-87 (21:41) Number: 7
To: SYSOP Refer#: 5
From: JEFF SUMBERG Read: YES
Subj: PC-GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

I shall by all means post them on my board. in fact I might (Probably)
even download em all, and put them there. Thanks

Date: 01-06-87 (16:22) Number: 10
To: ROBERT FLORES Refer#: NONE
From: CECIL HUANG Read: NO
Subj: READING PC GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

I wonder, how would I go about reading PC Gazette? Do I unarc it and
then print it all out? That's a lot of paper.

Or do I use something like LIST60J by Vern Buerg?

Or is there a special program that I can use just to read these
gazettes?

Date: 01-07-87 (11:03) Number: 11
To: CECIL HUANG Refer#: 10
From: CHARLES ETON Read: YES
Subj: READING PC GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

All you have to do is unarc the package, and type "reader" - you're off
and running!

More: [Y], [N], [NS], [T], [#], [+], [-], [RE]?

Date: 01-07-87 (19:53) Number: 12
To: CECIL HUANG Refer#: 10
From: JEFF SUMBERG Read: YES
Subj: READING PC GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

you un-arc it, and in it there is a program called PCGxxx.COM where
xxx=the issue number. run that program, and the rest is menu driven.

More: [Y], [N], [NS], [T], [#], [+], [-], [RE]?

Date: 01-15-87 (21:07) Number: 14
To: ALL Refer#: NONE
From: STEVE MILLARD Read: (N/A)
Subj: PC-GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

I downloaded a PC-GAZETTE file yesterday and was duly impressed with it.
You're really missing something if you don't check it out!!!

Date: 01-15-87 (21:09) Number: 15
To: STEVE MILLARD Refer#: 14
From: PHIL JACOB Read: NO
Subj: PC-GAZETTE Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

How true !!! It is really terrific to look at.....

Hope you do have color graphic screen as well...
Phil...

Date: 02-05-87 (14:17) Number: 24
To: SYSOP Refer#: NONE
From: PHIL JACOB Read: NO
Subj: EDITOR CHECKING IN.... Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

Don't mean to offend the editor of this PC-Gazette... I think he has not
checked in once in aawhile ???? It is pretty long time ago that I
left him message and heard nothing from him ????

Is he aware of this BBS ? Even though the
information inside the file saying MICROSELLAR is a part of the system
and I don't see any.....

Phil....

REPLY:
1: I stand guilty as charged....No excuses....except for busy lines...
2: Feb issue will be available the first part of next week. I appreciate
3: all the fine messages from this IMPORTANT part of the system.
4: Thanks....Robert
5:

COMMUNICATIONS FROM LAPD
========================

From : Sysop (Eric) Message : 50
To : Robert Flores Security : Public
Subject : PC Gaz Jan '87 Reply to : n/a
PostMark: 01-20-87 4:34pm Received : 01-23-87 7:02am
Replied : no Thread # : 50

Robert, although it was late, the January issue was pretty good. Gad
you changed the format to PCGxx87.ARC. I have some problems wit Mr.
Conner's review, however.

He wrote, with no evidence to support such a staement, that ANSI Paint
has become "...universally accepted as the standard for use by bulletin
board operators." Rober, I am a Bulletin Board Operator, and I know
hundreds of Bulletin Board Operators. Not to put down ANSI Paint, but
I do not even KNOW a SINGLE Sysop who uses ANSI Paint!!! Everyone Sysop who I
have talked to about ANSI uses THEDRAW or ANSI of LA, one said ANSIDRAW
and I know some use tDoodle (as I used to). THEDRAW is an excellent
program, and I like to think ANSI of LA is as well, as I am the
author. I am sure the authors of THEDRAW will be as upset at this
totally false and unsupported statement as I am, as soon as they find out.
Obviously Mr. Conner uses ANSI Paint, and other Sysops as well, but by no
means is it "universally acepted as the standard". You are even the
author of an ANSI editor yourself. and I'm sure many Sysops use it as
well!

Mr. Conner also stated that BOYAN will work ONLY with Hayes-Compatible
Modems. BOYAN v. C1 lets you define your modem dialing prefixes, modem
init strings, and other modem-related commands. I spoke with the
Justin Boyan today, voice, and asked him if it was true. He said
"No!". BOYAN v. C1 may have had some problems with non-Hayes modems,
and maybe even some Hayes-compatible modems, but I think it is very
irresponsible to make such a statement without checking with the
author(s) of such programs beforehand.

Eric Lambart, Sysop/LAPD
President, Cavan International

REPLY:

Could there be two sets of standards?....Or, at least be thousands of
Sysops, instead of hundreds?....Or, could we programmers have a tendency
to be a little partial? I guess a little controversy helps make life a
a fresher experience.

Archive   : PCGFEB87.ZIP
Filename : IOPORT.PCG

  1. Very nice! Thank you for this wonderful archive. I wonder why I found it only now. Long live the BBS file archives!

  2. This is so awesome! 😀 I’d be cool if you could download an entire archive of this at once, though.

  3. But one thing that puzzles me is the “mtswslnkmcjklsdlsbdmMICROSOFT” string. There is an article about it here. It is definitely worth a read: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/mtswslnk/