Category : Information about the Internet from the early 1990's
Archive   : GOPHERN.ZIP
Filename : GOPHERN.07

Output of file : GOPHERN.07 contained in archive : GOPHERN.ZIP
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 08:10:19 EDT
Sender: Let's Go Gopherin'
From: Jim Gerland - Network User Support
Subject: #7 A CMS Gopher Client - Help file
To: Multiple recipients of list GOPHERN

NAVIGATING THE INTERNET: LET'S GO GOPHERIN'

Richard J. Smith and Jim Gerland

GOPHER HELP

At my System prompt I type the word "gopher gopher.uiuc.edu" and retrieve the
following menu:

********
Rice CMS Gopher 2.4.2 gopher.uiuc.edu
1/22 More

Welcome to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Gopher
Campus Announcements (last updated 8/18/93)
What's New?(last update: 8/17/93)
Information about Gopher
Keyword Search of Gopher Menus
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Campus Information
Champaign-Urbana & Regional Information
Computer Documentation, Software, and Information
Libraries and Reference Information
Newspapers, Newsletters, and Weather
Other Gopher and Information Servers
Phone Books (ph)
Internet File Server (ftp) Sites
SPECIAL: FLOOD RELIEF INFORMATION (ILLINOIS CES)
IMPORTANT!NEW TERMINAL SERVER CHANGES GO INTO EFFECT AUGUST

1= Help 2= Open 3= Return 4= Print 5= Save/Rcv 6= Find
7= Backward 8= Forward 9= Bookmark 10= Booklist 11= 12= Quit
********

The bottom of the Gopher menu has options from which you can choose. Help
can be selected by pressing the PF1 key from most points in Gopher. Here is the
help screen:

********

CMS Gopher - Viewing Directories

You are presented with a menu of items. These may be files, directories
of files, links to other Gopher servers, or other special functions.
To "open" an item, place your cursor on or under the item then press .

Before each item is symbolic text explaining what type of item it is:

(nothing), this item is a plain-text file
this item leads to another directory or Gopher
this item leads to a CSO/qi Phonebook search
this item leads to a keyword search
this item represents a telnet session
this item is a graphic
(requires a grphics terminal to view)
this item is a "binary" file
(not interesting to view, but downloadable)

Function keys active are:

ENTER select an item
PF1 help (gives you this screen)
PF2 select an item (same as ENTER)
PF3 go back to previous menu (if any)
PF6 find particular string within the menu
PF7 Scroll UP in the menu
PF8 Scroll DOWN in the menu
PF9 set a BOOKMARK on this panel
(or delete the BOOKMARK at the cursor
if you're viewing your bookmark list)
PF10 go to the BOOKMARK list/select panel
PF12 quit completely

********

This quick Gopher on-line help comes in handy when you forget how to move
around "Gopherspace". There are a few other things to note in help.
Information on how to create a bookmark is useful and we'll be creating
bookmarks later in this course. Also, information on how to quit and how to
search for an item is given.

This help screen goes beyond a computer one screen of information. When
that happens you can use the PF8 key to get the next screen of information.
When you get to the end of the document you must press the PF3 key to quit
the HELP utility and return to Gopher.

Richard J. Smith
[email protected]
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

Jim Gerland
[email protected]
State University of New York at Buffalo
Academic Services, Computing and Information Technology

Archive   : GOPHERN.ZIP
Filename : GOPHERN.07

  1. Very nice! Thank you for this wonderful archive. I wonder why I found it only now. Long live the BBS file archives!

  2. This is so awesome! 😀 I’d be cool if you could download an entire archive of this at once, though.

  3. But one thing that puzzles me is the “mtswslnkmcjklsdlsbdmMICROSOFT” string. There is an article about it here. It is definitely worth a read: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/mtswslnk/