Category : Various Text files
Archive   : HBD104X.ZIP
Filename : HBD1043.TXT

Output of file : HBD1043.TXT contained in archive : HBD104X.ZIP
HOMEBREW Digest #1043 Tue 29 December 1992

FORUM ON BEER, HOMEBREWING, AND RELATED ISSUES
Rob Gardner, Digest Coordinator

Contents:
Majority Ale (Old British Beers...) (Joseph Nathan Hall)
flames, boycotts, and chemistry lessons (Rob Winters)
Freezing beer (Bill Fuhrmann)
re bubbles (Chip Hitchcock)

Send articles for __publication__ to [email protected]
(Articles are published in the order they are received.)
Send UNSUBSCRIBE and all other requests, ie, address change, etc.,
to [email protected]
Archives are available via anonymous ftp from sierra.stanford.edu.
(Those without ftp access may retrieve files via mail from
[email protected]. Send HELP as the body of a
message to that address to receive listserver instructions.)
**Please do not send me requests for back issues!**
*********(They will be silenty discarded!)*********
**For Cat's Meow information, send mail to [email protected]**

Date: Mon, 28 Dec 92 03:22:57 EDT
From: [email protected] (Joseph Nathan Hall)
Subject: Majority Ale (Old British Beers...)

There was a thread a while ago in the digest about 21-year-old beer.
I missed the start of it. Is this a reference to "Majority Ale" as
described in Old British Beers and How to Make Them?

What an extravagance--20 lbs or so of grain for about 2 US gallons
of brew (once the recipe is resized).

I just found some more Thomas Hardy's Ale Vintage Sampler Packs.
Even better, they are last year's! That 1989 Thomas Hardy is pretty
good stuff ....

================O Fortuna, velut Luna, statu variabilis================
uunet!joebloe!joseph (609) 273-8200 day joseph%[email protected]
2102 Ryan's Run East Rt 38 & 41 Maple Shade NJ 08052
Copyright 1992 by Joseph N. Hall. Permission granted to copy and
redistribute freely over USENET and by email. Commercial use prohibited.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1992 09:36:53 -0500
From: [email protected] (Rob Winters)
Subject: flames, boycotts, and chemistry lessons

Ed Hitchcock writes:
>I disagree with Richard Childers. If I go somewhere, I do not want to
>check out every pub in the town, and the locals frequently drink swill, so
>they are not a good source of information. A two line request for good pubs or
>microbreweries does not tie up the net, nor use up a lot of space in the HBD.
>As long as replies are mailed, what's the problem?

Amen, Ed! Yes, Richard, we all know how to use a phone book. When people
ask about places to visit in a city not their own, they are looking for
recommendations from locals, not listings of places out of the yellow
pages. What good are they? And what is that crap about people "having to"
respond? You certainly don't. In fact, I don't WANT a bunch of addresses
of places you don't know about. I want *recommendations* and *warnings*
of places you *do* know about. Just give a couple of names. When I get
there I'll use THE PHONE BOOK to get the numbers and addresses.

As for the queries and responses taking up too much of the digests...
Well, there a lot of other things I'd like to read about less than
discussions of brewpubs in Denver or Dallas or wherever:

lawsuits
lawyers
boycotts
trademarks
product marketing
the *business* of brewing
fine details of organic chemistry
autoclaves

Why are we picking and arguing like a bunch of old ladies about pub
recommendations when this kind of stuff goes on ad nauseum? Clearly,
this is no longer my forum, and I'm outta here. Call me if you guys
get to be fun to drink with again. I'm much more likely to visit a
brewpub than countersue Boston Beer, brew hectolitre batches, culture
yeast, or autoclave *anything*. Not that these aren't noble pursuits,
but I *have* a life *and* a career, and I don't need another. Thanks
for all the good info. It's been fun, mostly.

Are we lawyers? Are we protecting trademarks? Are we busting monopolies?
Are we professional chemists and microbiologists? Are we professional
brewers? I thought this forum was for HOME brewers and BEER enthusiasts.

How many recipes have been in the last 10 digests? 1? 2? Is anybody
brewing out there? I'm tempted to start my own digest. What'll I call
it? How about the HOME-BREWERS-WHO-DON'T-TAKE-THEMSELVES-TOO-SERIOUSLY
digest? That should keep it under 32K!

Happy New Year! I'll drink a beer for you guys!

Rob

P.S. Send those flames via e-mail. I'm dropping this puppy right NOW!
(Richard: Please note that you don't HAVE TO flame me. It's
just a suggestion. The phone book won't be needed, either.)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Dec 92 18:04:27 CST
From: [email protected] (Bill Fuhrmann)
Subject: Freezing beer

Are there any permanent effects to beer that has been frozen and thawed?

Bill Fuhrmann, aka [email protected]

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone." - Joni Mitchell

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Dec 92 08:48:53 EST
From: [email protected] (Chip Hitchcock)
Subject: re bubbles

arf (arf, arf?) writes
> I use the long, S-shaped
> glass ones on the secondary and although I have no way of measuring the
> pressure of a three inch colmun of water, there is enough CO2 in the beer to
> make it plesantly drinkable.

The impact of a 3" column of water on pressure is negligible. One
atmosphere (14.7 psi) is a column of water ~33 feet high (Torricelli
]discovered[ atmospheric pressure when he tried to pump water higher than
this in one stage), so you increased the pressure by .0076 atmosphere or
.11 psi. Compare this with reports of (I recall) 15-30 psi for carbonation
in kegs. I doubt it takes this much to \keep/ carbonation in a keg
or bottle---does anyone around here know enough about CO2 solubility vs
temperature to estimate what [partial] pressure is necessary to keep, e.g.,
2 volumes of CO2 dissolved in beer at room temperature?.

This doesn't mean your beer didn't carbonate; it's a lot harder to mistake
carbonation than it is to mistake low levels of alcohol. But, as several
msgs have pointed out, only the excess CO2 over what dissolves comes out
the fermentation lock, so all but the greenest wort has some dissolved CO2
in it; the additional effect of your .11 psi vs a typical (guestimate)
.03-.05 psi can't be much.

End of HOMEBREW Digest #1043, 12/29/92
-------

Archive   : HBD104X.ZIP
Filename : HBD1043.TXT

  1. Very nice! Thank you for this wonderful archive. I wonder why I found it only now. Long live the BBS file archives!

  2. This is so awesome! 😀 I’d be cool if you could download an entire archive of this at once, though.

  3. But one thing that puzzles me is the “mtswslnkmcjklsdlsbdmMICROSOFT” string. There is an article about it here. It is definitely worth a read: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/mtswslnk/