Category : Various Text files
Archive   : HBD104X.ZIP
Filename : HBD1042.TXT

Output of file : HBD1042.TXT contained in archive : HBD104X.ZIP
HOMEBREW Digest #1042 Mon 28 December 1992

FORUM ON BEER, HOMEBREWING, AND RELATED ISSUES
Rob Gardner, Digest Coordinator

Contents:
Re: I Smell a Rat (The Rider) (Michael Fetzer)
% alcohol by weight vs. by volume (The Rider) (Michael Fetzer)
John Fix (George J Fix)
Flames, Bubbles and Rats (Jack Schmidling)
Koch's sleaze in perspective (Jacob Galley)
false bottom mash tun (thomas ciccateri)
Ham Brew Forum (Tim Chapman)
Home Brew Forum (Tim Chapman)

Send articles for __publication__ to [email protected]
(Articles are published in the order they are received.)
Send UNSUBSCRIBE and all other requests, ie, address change, etc.,
to [email protected]
Archives are available via anonymous ftp from sierra.stanford.edu.
(Those without ftp access may retrieve files via mail from
[email protected]. Send HELP as the body of a
message to that address to receive listserver instructions.)
**Please do not send me requests for back issues!**
*********(They will be silenty discarded!)*********
**For Cat's Meow information, send mail to [email protected]**

Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1992 02:18:36 -0800
From: mfetzer%[email protected] (The Rider) (Michael Fetzer)
Subject: Re: I Smell a Rat

I wouln'd normally respond to this since it further decreases the signal to
noise ratio here, but since it's Xmas, and we've got short digest anyway,
and... well I just know that if I point it out others won't waste bandwidth
*grin*....

At 1:00 92.12.25 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 22:10 CST
>From: [email protected] (Jack Schmidling)
>Subject: I Smell a Rat
>

> I already expressed my views on this subject but can't help but wonder how
> this real time exchange came about in today's Digest....
>
> >Date: Wed, 23 Dec 92 12:15:52 EST
> >From: [email protected] (Todd Vafiades)
> >Subject: useful info
>
> >I feel sorry for Mr. Childers in that he finds it necessary to attempt
> >to "lower the noise level" by.....
>
> And then in the same issue...
>
> >Date: Wed, 23 Dec 92 15:10:32 PST
> >From: Richard Childers
> >Subject: Pub Crawls and phonebooks
>

> >"I feel sorry for Mr. Childers ..."
>
> >Call me Richard, if it doesn't blunt the edge of your Bic-sized
> >flame." ... in that he finds it necessary to attempt to "lower the noise
> >level" ..."
>
> What does Mr ...er Richard know that we (I) do not?
>
> js

Hiya, Jack, old buddy... I still have that video, and... now living in
Portland, am showing it to a whole new breed of (would be) brewers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

What happened here is that most likely Todd replied to Richard's (can I
call him Dick? Rich? Rick?) submission in 2 ways: a reply to Richard
directly, and a cc: to the digest, or vice versa. In any case, direct
internet mail takes about 10 seconds to 10 minutes in any normal situation,
so Richard got the reply, and was able to respond with another cc: to the
digest in less than the 24 hour period that mail gets queued... (As a
matter of fact, there's almost 6 hours difference between the two
submissions, taking EST and PST into consideration) In any case, much like
I'm doing to you right now. You'll see this later on today, bright and
early, under the Xmas tree, while everyone else will get it stamped '26
Dec' and if they're lucky 'nuff to have home net access or cursed enough to
have to work, read it on Saturday morning. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'd like to take this chance to say (since I'm wasting bandwidth
already)... Hope you are having/had a good one, and you're truly a fun
bunch to listen to every day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike

______________
Michael Fetzer
Internet: [email protected] uucp: ...!ucsd!mfetzer
Bitnet: FETZERM@SDSC
HEPnet/SPAN: SDSC::FETZERM or 27.1::FETZERM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1992 03:36:40 -0800
From: mfetzer%[email protected] (The Rider) (Michael Fetzer)
Subject: % alcohol by weight vs. by volume

Ok, I've had my silly post in the digest today, this one's serious. I know
some chemist out there has the answer at the tip of his/her CRC, but I
haven't got one around here.

How do I compute %alcohol by weigh in terms of %alcohol by volume. I know
it is a function of what type of beer I'm talking about, doppelbock being
usually much denser than others, but hey, the figure of %alcohol in water
would be just fine for an approximation.

Salvator (in OR) is 6% by weight. 1- does the percentage change state to
state? 2- what is that by volume?

Mike

______________

Date: Fri, 25 Dec 92 05:56:10 CST
From: [email protected] (George J Fix)
Subject: John Fix

Please excuse this brief use of bandwidth.

John:

My e-mail to you is bouncing. I just heard that they
may start brewing Fix beer again in Greece. Potential
embarassment may be on its way. Get in touch when you
have time.

George Fix

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Dec 92 10:50 CST
From: [email protected] (Jack Schmidling)
Subject: Flames, Bubbles and Rats

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 12:45 CST
From: [email protected]

>Jack-- you should gauge your feelings about styles more by Goose Island's
brews -- they are much better examples of the style.

I already did that and was summarily flamed by, er... ah... for posting my
opinions.

> Carbonation in the fermenter is usually a sign of too much back-pressure in
the airlock. ..... If it has, just unclog and let the beer de-gas before
priming and bottling.

I seem to always be on the wrong side of the curve. Several weeks ago, it
occured to me that if I put more water in my fermentation lock, it would give
me a head start on carbonation at kegging time. I use the long, S-shaped
glass ones on the secondary and although I have no way of measuring the
pressure of a three inch colmun of water, there is enough CO2 in the beer to
make it plesantly drinkable.

Baderbrau does their entire secondary fermentation under pressure and I
presume many brewers do the same. I therefore concluded that the only reason
homebrewers do not do it was because of the problems of glass fermenters.

>P.S. You won't hear from me for a few weeks -- I'm not boycotting the HBD,
I'm just on honeymoon Part 2. See ya!

That's too bad because I was planning on bringing a collection of samples of
WGB to the next meeting of CBS. You may wish to re-schedule your honeymoon
to avoid missing such an historical opportunity.

Cc: [email protected]

>Hiya, Jack, old buddy... I still have that video, and... now living in
Portland, am showing it to a whole new breed of (would be) brewers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Has the video create a cult out there yet? Most groups get together
and dress real funny, shout out the lines on que, and pour a glass
of homebrew over their heads at each SANFU. The real sign of an
ARF groupy is to know them ALL. There are even a few words purposly
mispelled in the subtitles just to make it fun.

>What happened here is that most likely Todd replied to Richard's (can I
call him Dick? Rich? Rick?) submission in 2 ways: a reply to Richard
directly, and a cc: to the digest, or vice versa.

This has been a bad year for my conspiracies theories. Seems pretty
simple but I was just having fun anyway and as you see, I learn fast.

>I'd like to take this chance to say (since I'm wasting bandwidth
already)... Hope you are having/had a good one, and you're truly a fun
bunch to listen to every day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Relax, don't worry..... use a MALTMILL and have a nice holiday.

js

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Dec 92 17:43:46 CST
From: Jacob Galley
Subject: Koch's sleaze in perspective

Al Korz writes:

> However, I agree with Chuck, Jim and the person who Jim is quoting. I,
> personally, am glad to see a beer with some flavor making headway in
> the US mass market, but I am 100% against Mr. Koch's lawsuits, deceptive
> advertising and misuse of the appellation "Lambic." I will boycott
> BBC's beers.

And Brian J Walter (Brewing Chemist) adds:

> I too support the boycott of Sam Adams, and also support Chuck.
> It is truly sad to see a micro taking such a stance. In a business
> so volatile as the micro/brewpub one we all need to stand together,
> homebrewers included. It seems the BBC thinks elsewise, and is
> seeming like the BudMillCoors people, trying to run smaller breweries
> out of business, instead of welcoming the diversity.

Reading all these indignant opinions reminds me of the time Ken
Pavechevich, the maker of Baderbrau, came to talk with my homebrewing
club last spring. We shouldn't forget that in general the megabrewers
are even slimier than Jim Koch is. Ken told us stories of the
not-so-licit tactics employed by Miller, in attempting to hamper his
success in the market. Among other things, he heard reports from bar
owners that [thugs] from Miller had offered free kegs if they dropped
Baderbrau! He also told an iffier story about Miller trucks blocking
the way of one of his trucks, making him seem unreliable to his
customers. . . . I don't know if the megas are this nasty to all
micros: Baderbrau in particular comes in packages that might be more
appealing to your average Beer Drinker. (The labels are shiny, without
a lot of words, and the name even sounds vaguely like a cheap American
beer. I don't think the word `pilsener' even appears.) (I'm only
reporting Ken's `rumors' because they're hearsay, hence legally
useless, right?)

Anyway, I can imagine what a hard time the BBC is having holding what
ever ground they've gained in spite of the megabreweries' megastoopid
marketing techniques (that work! -- pitiful) and other slimy,
anything-for-a-profit-so-long-as-you're-SURE-we-won't-get-caught
methods. With this in mind, I do (when in a good mood) have a quantum
(not more) of sympathy for Jim Koch. Sam Adams beers are a major force
in the current American Beer Enlightenment. In this day and age, Koch
would not have been as successful as he is without using pushy,
sleazeball Big Business strategies. If Koch is getting a cozy sandwich
feeling between the megas and the micros, he might as well focus his
efforts below as well as above, no matter how meek the offending
microbrewery might be. Any good capitalist (in the narrow sense of
`effective') would tell you that. (Whether the Boston Beer Works is
actually a threat to the Boston Beer Company is very questionable.)

Before everyone jumps on me, I should point out that I'm happy to
boycott the BBC along with every other Big Business I comfortably can!
Sam Adams doesn't even taste that great anyway, except on tap.

Well, I hope everyone got lots of presents. I'm going to go read my
new copy of Michael Jackson's _New World of Beer_.

Cheers,
Jake.

"JUST DO IT yourself." <------------- Jacob Galley / [email protected]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Dec 92 23:11:00 MST
From: thomas ciccateri
Subject: false bottom mash tun

I'm considering the construction of a mash tun with a false bottom. If I go with a metal screen, what is the preferred hole size or mesh # ?

Tom Ciccateri -> [email protected]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Dec 92 21:49:18 -0800
From: Tim Chapman
Subject: Ham Brew Forum

Hi JS,

I am very interested in such a home brew forum as I saw you mention in the
news groups on usenet. Please send me info on such a net on the air or
on the computer. I would really appreciate it.

I also work at HP. I am in ICBD at Corvallis. I do all my hobby stuff
such as this from home via OSU. Please email me a response as I rarely have time to read the news groups.

Thanks a bunch!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Dec 92 21:57:49 -0800
From: Tim Chapman
Subject: Home Brew Forum

Hi JS,

I am sending this again as I botched it the last time and am not sure if
I ended up sending it or not. SRI.

I am very interested in such a home brew forum as I saw you mention in the
news groups on usenet. Please send me info on such a net on the air or
on the computer. I would really appreciate it.

I also work at HP. I am in ICBD at Corvallis. I do all my hobby stuff
such as this from home via OSU. Please email me a response as I rarely have
time to read the news groups.

Thanks a bunch!

Tim Chapman
KB7MDF | | | |
[email protected] |=|=|=| )))))) cq, cq, cq .....)))) ) ) )
(503) 757-2560 | ||| |
pg: 750-7654 |
wk: 750-3621 /\ |
/__\ |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TEC sends!

End of HOMEBREW Digest #1042, 12/28/92
-------

Archive   : HBD104X.ZIP
Filename : HBD1042.TXT

  1. Very nice! Thank you for this wonderful archive. I wonder why I found it only now. Long live the BBS file archives!

  2. This is so awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€ I’d be cool if you could download an entire archive of this at once, though.

  3. But one thing that puzzles me is the “mtswslnkmcjklsdlsbdmMICROSOFT” string. There is an article about it here. It is definitely worth a read: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/mtswslnk/