Contents of the WDAT_IDE.TXT file
README - WDAT_IDE.TXT
This utility scans the media and remaps any grown defects on
a Western Digital drive. It also provides performance data
such as seek times and data access times.
COMMAND LINE OPTIONS:
To run the menu-driven test, type 'WDAT_IDE' from the DOS
The following options may be included on the command line
L = open NEW log file WDAT_IDE.LOG (only use this option
when running the test from a floppy, since hard
disk data corruption will occur!!!)
The old WDAT_IDE.LOG will be overwritten.
S = skip pause at end of 'no menu' run
R = relocate sectors marked as 'bad sectors'
F = relocate addresses shown in file WDAT_IDE.DAT
D = operate on second drive if F option chosen
1 = select first drive, run quick scan with no menu
or C option
2 = select second drive, run quick scan with no menu
or C option
C = comprehensive analysis, no menu. used with
options 1 or 2
The 'L' option may be used at anytime with the above line
options. It will show the drive ID information and any error
that occurs. The old WDAT_IDE.LOG will be overwritten.
The data file for the 'F' option should be an ASCII text file
with a C, H and S specified for each address to be relocated.
To relocate a track, specify the C and H and set the S to
255. All addresses must be specified in decimal. All sector
addresses are for user locations. All track addresses are
physical locations. The first sector is specified as one,
For example, to relocate the TRANSLATED 23rd sector from
index at C10 H1 and the NATIVE track at C20 H3, store the
following text in WDAT_IDE.DAT:
10, 1, 23
20, 3, 255
- retries disabled
- cache disabled
- identifies drive models and number of drives
- menu driven
MENU OPTION DESCRIPTIONS:
MAIN MENU SELECTION:
0 - Quick Surface Scan
1 - Comprehensive Analysis
2 - Performance Data
3 - Select Drive
4 - List of WD drives
5 - Help
6 - Park Drives and Quit"
MENU SELECTION "0 - Quick Surface Scan" description:
1. Read verifies, sequentially, a track at a time.
No writes are issued.
2. Performs appropriate defect management if errors
are detected: See section below for details
regarding defect management.
3. Will save user data when conditions permit. Some
conditions will not allow the customer data to be
MENU SELECTION "1 - Comprehensive Analysis" description:
1. Prompts user before starting that data will be
lost, ESCAPE to exit.
2. Read verify scan of surface first as in selection
3. Writes/Read Verifies sequentially, the entire
surface a track at a time. Each track is
written with 9 data patterns, and 10 reads are
issued after each write. So each track is read
a minimum of 91 times, more if errors occur.
The data patterns are:
H: random data
4. Performs appropriate defect management: See
section below for details regarding defect
5. Will not save user data, this selection WILL
DESTROY all customer data.
MENU SELECTION "2 - Performance Data" description:
1. Data collected will be displayed based on drive
2. If no drive is selected or not accessable the
message 'Can't establish physical parameters'
will be displayed.
3. The following data will be displayed. If the
L option is selected it will be logged:
Track to Track SEEK: shown in milliseconds.
Average random SEEK: shown in milliseconds.
Full stroke SEEK: shown in milliseconds.
DATA transfer TEST: B: = block size, data
shown in kilobytes/sec.
4. This selection is not restricted to drive list
maintained by this program.
MENU SELECTION "3 - Select Drive" description:
1. Prompts user to enter 0, 1, or ESCAPE to exit.
2. If drive is present the Model number, Serial
number, Firmware and Cylinder/Heads/Sector per-
track, will be displayed under the corresponing
3. If drive a is entered but not accessable, the
information in 2 above will be replaced with
'DID NOT RESPOND', the bottom window will show
'NO drive is SELECTED'.
4. If a drive is selected and accessable the drive
number in the top window will blink and bottom
window will show 'DRIVE # is SELECTED'. If the
L option is selected the information in 2 above
will be logged.
5. This selection is not restricted to drive list
maintained by this program.
DEFECT MANAGEMENT DETAILS:
If an error is detected while reading a track, the following
1) If a Bad Block error is detected, then the sector is
re-formatted as no longer bad.
2) If an error occurs during any read, the relocation
algorithm is executed, and reverification of the
track is repeated.
Relocation Algorithm Details:
If a servo error occurs, the track is relocated.
If an ID Not Found error occurs, the sector is relocated.
If a physical track already has 5 relocated sectors, the
track is relocated.
If an ECC or DAM error occurs, the sector is relocated.
Since retries are disabled, correctable ECC errors are
reported as uncorrectable and are relocated.
3.1 12/04/92 rbn First field release