1. To run VERSAMAP, change to the drive and directory containing the
mapping program, VMAP.EXE; type VMAP at the DOS prompt;
then press Enter.
When the program has finished loading, the screen will display the
author's name and address.
To plot the default world map, press Alt, then the letter R,
then press Enter.
The default map file, VMAP4.MAP, and the font files (file extension
.FON) must be in the same directory as the mapping program, VMAP.EXE.
2. Pull down menus are accessed with the Alt key. Press Alt and then
the highlighted letter to access a menu. Use the up and down
cursor keys; then press Enter to select a menu item.
3. To exit VERSAMAP press Esc, then Alt, then the letter P, then the
4. To print the manual, set the printer to the extreme top of a new
page of paper (at the perforation for tractor feed paper); turn on
the printer; type the following command at the DOS prompt,
TYPE VMAP.DOC > PRN
and press Enter. The manual is 59 pages long.
5. If you are printing the manual from a word processor, set all
margins (top, bottom, left, right) to 0; and set it for 66 lines
of text, and a page length of 66 lines.
6. You must install the Hercules driver, MSHERC.COM, to use Hercules
mono graphics with VERSAMAP. To install the driver, place the
disk containing MSHERC.COM in your drive, type the following
command at the DOS prompt,
and press Enter.
7. Registration of VERSAMAP is $15 (plus $5 shipping to countries other
than the United States or Canada) for which you will receive:
a copy of the most recent version of the program;
Helvetica fonts for CGA, EGA, and VGA;
additional digital map files, including VMAP3.MAP (31,000 points)
and VMAP5.MAP (6,000 points);
the opportunity to order more detailed digital map files from
World Data Bank II, and from the U.S. Geological Survey's Digital
Line Graph database.
Registration entitles you support, by mail, telephone, and on
CompuServe, concerning problems you encounter with VERSAMAP.
A registration form is included in the file REGISTER.DOC.