Category : C Source Code
Archive   : PATCH12.ZIP
Filename : TCPATCH4.DIF

Output of file : TCPATCH4.DIF contained in archive : PATCH12.ZIP
TurboC2.0 Patched to fix uniquepipe() of popen.c
Prereq: 3
*** tcpatlev.h Wed Jul 18 15:39:44 1990
--- tcpatlev.new Wed Jul 18 15:48:16 1990
***************
*** 1,1 ****
! #define TCPATCHLEVEL 3
--- 1,1 ----
! #define TCPATCHLEVEL 4
*** readme Wed Jul 18 15:39:48 1990
--- readme.new Wed Jul 18 15:46:38 1990
***************
*** 162,164 ****
--- 162,185 ----
177: possibly incorrect assignment ....
the message is misleading (see the Turbo C User Manual).

+
+ *** OFFICIAL PATCHLEVEL 12, TurboC2.0 PATCHLEVEL 4
+
+ From: [email protected] (lee fisher)
+ Subject: re: MSDOS Patch: more patches
+ Date: Mon Jul 16 13:08:47 1990
+
+ In the above function uniquepipe() of popen.c, the format for the pipe
+ name ("pipe%05d.tmp") will generate an invalid file name for DOS. In
+ the DOS FAT file system, the base filename can only be 8 characters
+ (with a maximum file name extension of 3 characters), anything greater
+ than this will be silently truncated by DOS. Thus, pipe00000.tmp is 9.3,
+ where the DOS max is 8.3, so isn't there a problem where pipe00001 and
+ pipe00002 will get confused?
+
+ How about %04d instead. I would think that making the assumption that
+ this implementation of pipes for DOS will only have 9999 pipes at any
+ given point in time would be better than losing the rightmost digit
+ in the current implementation.
+
+ (this bug is now fixed)
*** popen.c Wed Jul 18 15:40:16 1990
--- popen.new Wed Jul 18 15:47:42 1990
***************
*** 153,159 ****
{
static char name[ 14 ];
static short int num = 0;
! (void) sprintf( name, "pipe%05d.tmp", num++ );
return( name );
}

--- 153,159 ----
{
static char name[ 14 ];
static short int num = 0;
! (void) sprintf( name, "pipe%04d.tmp", num++ );
return( name );
}

Archive   : PATCH12.ZIP
Filename : TCPATCH4.DIF

  1. Very nice! Thank you for this wonderful archive. I wonder why I found it only now. Long live the BBS file archives!

  2. This is so awesome! 😀 I’d be cool if you could download an entire archive of this at once, though.

  3. But one thing that puzzles me is the “mtswslnkmcjklsdlsbdmMICROSOFT” string. There is an article about it here. It is definitely worth a read: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/mtswslnk/