Dec 072017

Elm mail reader source code in OS/2.
File ELM23SRC.ZIP from The Programmer’s Corner in
Category C Source Code
Elm mail reader source code in OS/2.
File Name File Size Zip Size Zip Type
CHANGES 1538 803 deflated
CONFIG.H 13705 3999 deflated
CONFIGUR 94928 25502 deflated
CRYPT 0 0 stored
CRYPT.C 3508 1114 deflated
CRYPT_UT.C 26776 7397 deflated
PATCHLEV.H 984 525 deflated
README 7596 3201 deflated
UFC-CRYP.H 2589 1010 deflated
DOC 0 0 stored
ALIAS.GUI 16518 6372 deflated
ANSWER.1 2106 1079 deflated
AUTOREPL.1 2055 1081 deflated
CHECKALI.1 1142 647 deflated
CONFIG.GUI 11633 4599 deflated
ELM.1 4188 1756 deflated
ELM.COV 1201 659 deflated
FASTMAIL.1 3294 1512 deflated
FILTER.1 3335 1447 deflated
FILTER.GUI 17426 6497 deflated
FORM.GUI 11494 4351 deflated
FRM.1 1083 618 deflated
LISTALIA.1 989 576 deflated
MAKEFILE 5548 1433 deflated
MESSAGES.1 711 443 deflated
NEWALIAS.1 2382 1110 deflated
NEWMAIL.1 4985 2124 deflated
PRINTMAI.1 982 585 deflated
READMSG.1 3860 1779 deflated
REF.GUI 62012 19733 deflated
TMAC.N 25892 7722 deflated
USERS.GUI 34354 12284 deflated
WNEWMAIL.1 1720 935 deflated
FILES.BIN 960 290 deflated
FILES.SRC 2258 745 deflated
FILTER 0 0 stored
ACTIONS.C 8353 2784 deflated
BUFFER.C 897 399 deflated
FILTER.C 9954 3535 deflated
LOCK.C 4558 1790 deflated
MAKEFILE 2040 754 deflated
PARSE.C 10561 2880 deflated
RULES.C 9161 2730 deflated
SUMMARIZ.C 5519 1976 deflated
UTILS.C 4296 1601 deflated
HDRS 0 0 stored
CURSES.H 1318 554 deflated
DEFS.H 12057 4594 deflated
ELM.H 8483 2832 deflated
FILTER.H 5739 2056 deflated
HEADERS.H 8528 2712 deflated
PATCHLEV.H 23 23 stored
SAVE_OPT.H 3776 1231 deflated
SYSDEFS.H 4691 1823 deflated
INSTRUCT 4488 2129 deflated
MAKEFILE 2770 1148 deflated
OS2 0 0 stored
ALARM.C 4233 1728 deflated
ALARM.H 69 64 deflated
ELM.DEF 82 82 stored
GETOPT.C 2598 1169 deflated
OS2ELM.H 751 306 deflated
OS2UTIL.C 7964 2282 deflated
PWD.H 197 124 deflated
TERMCAP.C 8113 2556 deflated
TERMCAP.DAT 4447 1395 deflated
TERMCAP.H 1077 456 deflated
TERMIOS.H 312 179 deflated
OVERVIEW 4742 2258 deflated
PATCHES.OS2 162043 34926 deflated
PATCHLIS 9706 4324 deflated
README 8037 3490 deflated
README.OS2 12301 4507 deflated
SRC 0 0 stored
ADDR_UTI.C 34734 11162 deflated
ALIAS.C 19478 4888 deflated
ALIASDB.C 10005 3545 deflated
ALIASLIB.C 10472 3547 deflated
ARGS.C 6630 2420 deflated
BOUNCEBK.C 3402 1355 deflated
BUILTIN.C 9541 3492 deflated
CALENDAR.C 4439 1792 deflated
CONN_TO.C 3474 1310 deflated
CURSES.C 21148 6366 deflated
DATE.C 8337 2676 deflated
DELETE.C 3665 1102 deflated
DOMAINS.C 9308 3214 deflated
EDIT.C 6485 2396 deflated
EDITMSG.C 20820 6057 deflated
ELM.C 23879 6153 deflated
ENCODE.C 5375 2033 deflated
ERRNO.C 3354 1397 deflated
EXITPROG.C 1677 791 deflated
EXPIRES.C 4111 1536 deflated
FILE.C 11141 3734 deflated
FILEIO.C 12786 3708 deflated
FILE_UTI.C 9915 3131 deflated
FORMS.C 10055 3406 deflated
HDRCONFG.C 9857 3064 deflated
HELP.C 9176 2843 deflated
INIT.C 13631 4923 deflated
IN_UTILS.C 13633 3735 deflated
LEAVEMBO.C 31384 8446 deflated
LIMIT.C 9041 2645 deflated
MAILMSG1.C 10766 3664 deflated
MAILMSG2.C 30525 9333 deflated
MAILTIME.C 2599 881 deflated
MAKEFILE 4462 1260 deflated
MKHDRS.C 3912 1541 deflated
NEWMBOX.C 28327 7552 deflated
OPTIONS.C 11880 3899 deflated
OPT_UTIL.C 10145 3530 deflated
OUT_UTIL.C 2985 1041 deflated
PATTERN.C 6849 2254 deflated
PMALLOC.C 2102 951 deflated
QUIT.C 5667 1936 deflated
READ_RC.C 27880 7443 deflated
REMAIL.C 4617 1850 deflated
REPLY.C 16492 4992 deflated
RETURNAD.C 13277 4123 deflated
SAVECOPY.C 7365 2557 deflated
SAVE_OPT.C 11480 3733 deflated
SCREEN.C 13041 4584 deflated
SHOWMSG.C 15550 5197 deflated
SHOWMSG_.C 9655 2840 deflated
SIGNALS.C 3564 1249 deflated
SOFTKEYS.C 3566 1166 deflated
SORT.C 7893 2667 deflated
STRING2.C 4671 1841 deflated
STRINGS.C 15727 5443 deflated
SYSCALL.C 11894 4312 deflated
UTILS.C 9186 2750 deflated
VALIDNAM.C 1712 750 deflated
TEST 0 0 stored
TEST.EMP 0 0 stored
TEST.MAI 10330 4074 deflated
UTILS 0 0 stored
ANSWER.C 10618 3845 deflated
AREPDAEM.C 17707 5834 deflated
AUTOREPL.C 6006 2102 deflated
CHECKALI 224 173 deflated
EXPAND.C 4285 1712 deflated
FASTMAIL.C 9739 3509 deflated
FROM.C 10847 3643 deflated
LISTALIA.C 2842 1209 deflated
MAILRC.AWK 1381 595 deflated
MAKEFILE 3952 1208 deflated
MESSAGES 550 290 deflated
NEWALIAS.C 17533 5941 deflated
NEWMAIL.C 21428 7112 deflated
PRINTMAI 372 236 deflated
READMSG.C 14073 4589 deflated

Download File ELM23SRC.ZIP Here

Contents of the README file

UFC-crypt: ultra fast 'crypt' implementation

@(#)README2.19 5/19/92

Design goals/non goals:
----------------------

- Crypt implementation plugin compatible with crypt(3)/fcrypt.

- High performance when used for password cracking.

- Portable to most 32/64 bit machines.

- Startup time/mixed salt performance not critical.

Features of the implementation:
------------------------------

- On most machines, UFC-crypt runs 30-60 times faster than crypt(3) when
invoked repeated times with the same salt and varying passwords.

- With mostly constant salts, performance is about two to three times
that of the default fcrypt implementation shipped with Alec
Muffets 'Crack' password cracker. For instructions on how to
plug UFC-crypt into 'Crack', see below.

- With alternating salts, performance is only about twice
that of crypt(3).

- Tested on 680x0, 386, SPARC, MIPS, HP-PA, Convex, Cray,
Pyramid and IBM RS/6000 systems as well as with gcc on IBM PS/2(DOS)
and Linux on a 386 PC.

- Requires 165 kb for tables.

- UFC-crypt is known to have compilation problems with some micro computer
C compilers (e.g. Turbo C++) due to its table sizes. Flame the vendors
for placing arbitrary limitations on their products. Use & support the
GNU C compiler, gcc.

- Also includes 'fcrypt16' - the function used with DEC's enhanced
security setup.

Author & licensing etc
----------------------

UFC-crypt is created by Michael Glad, email: [email protected], and has
been donated to the Free Software Foundation, Inc. It is covered by the
GNU library license version 2, see the file 'COPYING'.

Installing UFC-crypt
--------------------

Installing as part of the GNU C Library:
***************************************

Unpack UFC-crypt and move the directory holding the sources into the
C library source directory as 'crypt'.

UNIX install
************

Edit the Makefile setting the variables

CRYPT:The encryption module to use; crypt.o should always work.
If compiling for one of the machines for which special support
is available, select the appropriate module.

CC:The compiler to use.

OFLAGS: The highest level of optimization available.

Now run 'make'. UFC-crypt is compiled into 'libufc.a'. A test program: ufc
is also linked. Try it out: './ufc 1' to test proper operation.

For a more thorough test, run 'make tests'. This compiles and invokes
a DES validation suite as well as two benchmark programs comparing
UFC-crypt with the native crypt(3) implementation.

If your friendly vendor has omitted crypt(3) from libc, compilation of
the native benchmark program 'speedc' will fail. Compilation of the
'speed*' programs may also fail as they use timer facilities not present
in the same form in all UNIX implementations. If so is, you may choose to
run '/bin/time ./ufc 10000' and divide the CPU time used by 10000.

'libufc.a' can be linked into your applications. It is compatible with
both crypt(3) and the fcrypt shipped with Alec Muffett's Crack program.

DOS install
***********

UFC-crypt compiles under DOS at least with MSC 6.00A. To compile,
move 'patchlevel.h' to 'pl.h', 'ufc-crypt.h' to 'ufc.h' and 'crypt_util.c'
to 'cryptutl.c'. When compiling, define the macro 'DOS' ( -DDOS ).
You should compile & link the programs by hand. Refer to the Makefile to
see which modules is needed for a program. You should be able to compile &
run the verification programs 'cert' and 'ufc' but not the benchmark program
'speedf'. For benchmarking, measure the running time of 'ufc 10000'.
Having compiled the modules, you can link 'cryptutl.o' and 'crypt.o' into
your application programs or put them into a library.

Installing UFC-crypt into Crack:
*******************************

Crack Release 4.0a: in 'Sources/Makefile', change the CRACKCRYPT macro
to a path leading to 'libufc.a' and invoke the Crack
script as usual.

4.1 and later: Crack knows about UFC-crypt. Refer to the Crack docs
for instructions.

Benchmark table:
---------------

The table shows how many operations per second UFC-crypt can
do on various machines.

|--------------|-------------------------------------------|
|Machine | SUN* SUN* HP* DecStation HP |
| | 3/50 ELC 9000/425e 3100 9000/720 |
|--------------|-------------------------------------------|
| Crypt(3)/sec | 4.6 30 15 25 57 |
| Ufc/sec | 220 990 780 1015 3500 |
|--------------|-------------------------------------------|
| Speedup | 48 30 52 40 60 |
|--------------|-------------------------------------------|

*) Compiled using special assembly language support module.

It seems as if performance is limited by CPU bus and data cache capacity.
This also makes the benchmarks debatable compared to a real test with
UFC-crypt wired into Crack. However, the table gives an outline of
what can be expected.

Optimizations:
-------------

Here are the optimizations used relative to an ordinary implementation
such as the one said to be used in crypt(3).

Major optimizations
*******************

- Keep data packed as bits in integer variables -- allows for
fast permutations & parallel xor's in CPU hardware.

- Let adjacent final & initial permutations collapse.

- Keep working data in 'E expanded' format all the time.

- Implement DES 'f' function mostly by table lookup

- Calculate the above function on 12 bit basis rather than 6
as would be the most natural.

- Implement setup routines so that performance is limited by the DES
inner loops only.

Minor (dirty) optimizations
***************************

- combine iterations of DES inner loop so that DES only loops
8 times. This saves a lot of variable swapping.

- Implement key access by a walking pointer rather than coding
as array indexing.

- As described, the table based f function uses a 3 dimensional array:

sb ['number of 12 bit segment']['12 bit index']['48 bit half index']

Code the routine with 4 (one dimensional) vectors.

- Design the internal data format & uglify the DES loops so that
the compiler does not need to do bit shifts when indexing vectors.

Portability issues
******************

UFC-crypt does not need to know the byte endianness of the machine is runs on.

To speed up the DES inner loop, it does a dirty trick requiring the
availability of a integer flavoured data type occupying exactly 32 (or 64)
bits. This is normally the case of 'long'. The header file 'ufc-crypt.h'
contains typedefs for this type. If you have to change it (or any other part)
to get things working, please drop me a note.

UFC-crypt can take advantage of 64 bit integers. At the moment, it is
configured to do so automatically for Convex & Cray machines.

Revision history
****************

UFC patchlevel 0: base version; released to alt.sources on Sep 24 1991
UFC patchlevel 1: patch released to alt.sources on Sep 27 1991.
No longer rebuilds sb tables when seeing a new salt.
UFC-crypt pl0: Essentially UFC pl 1. Released to comp.sources.misc
on Oct 22 1991.
UFC-crypt pl1: Released to comp.sources.misc in march 1992
* setkey/encrypt routines added
* added validation/benchmarking programs
* reworked keyschedule setup code
* memory demands reduced
* 64 bit support added

This is the 2.3 (USENET) version of the Elm Mail System

See the NOTICE and Instruct files for further details.

It is IMPERITIVE that all users rerun newalias after installing
Elm 2.3 when upgrading from a previous version. Elm's behavoir
with aliases could be unpredictible if this step is not performed.

Where to find more info on Elm:
Much discussion on Elm including interim bug fixes, work arounds
and future plans occurs in the Usenet news group comp.mail.elm. Also
a monthly status report on Elm is posted there. This status report
lists the archive sites that have the patches to Elm as well as the
lastest version.

Patches to Elm are posted to comp.mail.elm and comp.sources.bugs as
soon as they are released. They are posted to comp.sources.unix shortly
thereafter, to allow time for feedback of problems in the patches.
Patches should be available from the archive sites, or from the
archive server. Mail [email protected] for details on how to
use the archive server program. Ask it for help.

Limitations/Problems you might encounter in compiling and installing Elm:

On some Unix 5.3.2 systems, if only a runtime version of the
O/S has been installed, not all the include files exist for compiling
curses.c. The ptem.h include file contains the window sizing structure
on this version. Either comment out the window sizing code, or install
the remaining include files from the development system.

If you run a nonstandard configuration of Mail, such as Xenix
running smail, Configure can get confused as to where to place items.
Be sure and check the config.sh file for the correct placement before
continuning. If changes are necessary, rerun Configure and fix the
file before exiting.

On SCO Xenix, if you are all mail is from user anonymous,
this is because the mail delivery agent should be
/usr/lib/mail/execmail instead of /usr/bin/rmail or /bin/rmail.

On Next's it is necessary to answer -bsd for the
Any additional cc flags? question and -lsys_s for the
Any additional libraries? question within Configure.

On some systems, especially those based on the AT&T Port to
286's the -O flag of the compiler produces improper code causing
segmentation violations. If this happens, recompile the code without
the -O flag. This has been seen with Microport SysV/AT type systems.

The Configuration script has been known to exceed the default
stack size in Unix 286 sh's. If Configure does not run correctly on
this type of machine increase the stack size and rerun it. On
Microport SysV/AT machines, Configure might run correctly under ksh.
Obtain ksh from Microport (available to current version owners without
additional charge) and rerun Configure using it. Xenix 286 users may
have the same problem, but they can work around it by changing the
stack size within the shell as reported a Xenix 286 Elm user:
> I had the same problems as everyone else is reporting on Microports *nix under
> SCO XENIX 2.2.1.
>
> The solution is simple, up the stack size for /bin/sh. I used
>
> # mv /bin/sh /bin/sh.old
> # cp /bin/sh.old /bin/sh
> # fixhdr -F 8000 /bin/sh
>
> This may seem a bit over the top, but I put it back after!
>
> # mv /bin/sh /bin/sh.rm
> # mv /bin/sh.old /bin/sh
>
> Then wait till nobody is using /bin/sh.rm then
>
> # rm /bin/sh.rm
>
> That way you preserve your old shell, ( ie you don't break it ), but you
> get to use Configure without bus errors etc.
>
> I hope that of use
>
> Keith
> --
> UUCP ..!uunet!mcvax!ukc!slxsys!g4lzv!keith | Keith Brazington
> Smart mail [email protected] | 5b Northgate Rochester Kent UK
> Ampanet [44.131.8.1] and [44.131.8.3] | +44 634 811594 Voice
> Packet G4LZV @ GB7UWS -- G4LZV USENET BB --| +44 634 401210 Data v22,v22bis
You might have to experiment and try values from 7000 to 8800.

Also on Microport SysV/AT Machines, the C compiler produces
improper code for one of the arithmetic calls. To fix this problem it
is necessary to reduce the complexity of the statement, as reported by
one of our testers here is the symptom and his patch. Being this is a
compiler bug on only one system, we make the information available, but
not incorporate it in the main release. Note, this may effect other
areas of Elm, and in the future, Microport may even fix this problem.
> I finally tracked down the bug that was causing the lengthy delays when
> the first message was displayed. The Microport 80286 C compiler was
> generating bad code for the computation of padding in showmsg.c. The
> compiler generated scratch variables in the expression were being
> located at weird offsets in the stack segment. This caused the program
> to stall while the kernel attempted to grow the stack segment to a size
> that was large enough to contain the scratch variables. This explains
> why it only happened the first time a message was displayed. Here is a
> patch that fixes the problem:
>
> *** showmsg.c.distFri Mar 17 21:08:37 1989
> --- showmsg.cSat Mar 18 06:14:04 1989
> ***************
> *** 280,289
> atoi(current_header->year), current_header->time);
>
> /* truncate or pad title2 portion on the right
> ! * so that line fits exactly */
> ! padding =
> ! COLUMNS -
> ! (strlen(title1) + (buf_len=strlen(title2)) + strlen(title3));
>
> sprintf(titlebuf, "%s%-*.*s%s\n", title1, buf_len+padding,
> buf_len+padding, title2, title3);
>
> --- 280,292 -----
> atoi(current_header->year), current_header->time);
>
> /* truncate or pad title2 portion on the right
> ! * so that line fits exactly, expression has been
> ! * simplified to avoid bug in Microport 80286
> ! * C compiler */
> ! padding = COLUMNS;
> ! padding -= strlen(title1);
> ! padding -= (buf_len = strlen(title2));
> ! padding -= strlen(title3);
>
> sprintf(titlebuf, "%s%-*.*s%s\n", title1, buf_len+padding,
> buf_len+padding, title2, title3);
>
> --
> John A. Limpert
> UUCP:[email protected], [email protected], uunet!n3dmc!johnl

Some versions of GNUmake are slightly incompatible with
standard make. If you plan on using GNUmake instead of standard make,
you might need to change instances of:
-$(MAKEFLAGS)
to:
$(MAKEFLAGS)
in all Makefiles that contain that construct.

>From pyrdc!uunet!mcvax!sauna.hut.fi!jkp Thu Jul 20 23:06:10 1989
>From: Jyrki Kuoppala
>Subject: ELM diff for Altos Worknet
>There's a bug in the Altos Worknet that makes it impossible to change
>a file's access time if the file is on another system (via Worknet).
>To make elm work if you use /usr/mail over Worknet, you need to apply
>the following patch and define WORKNET when compiling leavembox.c.
>
>Note: WORKNET needs to be defined somewhere, the easiest thing is
>to add it manually to src/Makefile. That's how I did it.
>
>*** elm2.2/src/leavembox.cTue Jul 18 20:50:32 1989
>--- elm2.2.altos/src/leavembox.cTue Jul 18 23:36:11 1989
>***************
>*** 557,562 ****
>--- 557,565 ----
> utime_buffer.modtime= buf.st_mtime;
> #endif
>
>+ #ifndef WORKNET
>+ /* Braindamaged WorkNet from Altos doesn't know how to change
>+ a file's access time if it is on another system */
> #ifdef BSD
> if (utime(cur_folder, utime_buffer) != 0) {
> #else
>***************
>*** 569,574 ****
>--- 572,578 ----
> error2("Error %s trying to change file %s access time.",
> error_name(errno), cur_folder);
> }
>+ #endif /* WORKNET */
>

> mailfile_size = bytes(cur_folder);
>

>Jyrki Kuoppala Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.
>Internet : [email protected] [128.214.3.119]
>BITNET : [email protected] Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks!

Syd Weinstein
Elm Coordinator
[email protected]
(dsinc!elm)