To upgrade previous versions of rOverBoard to the current version:
1) Review the README.1ST file to determine what, if any, conversion programs
need to be run to upgrade your data files to the current version, based on
the version that you are currently using. Note that if a conversion _is_
necessary, be sure to back up your rOver files first, as they will no
longer work correctly with the old version once they have been converted.
Critical files that should be backed up include SETUP.DAT, USER.DAT,
BBSFILES.DAT, and all MSG*.* files. Also note that when a conversion is
required, oftentimes third-party products (such as AUTOFILE or ROVERUSER)
will also need to be upgraded.
2) Replace your old BBSMAINT.EXE and ROVER.EXE files with the ones from the
new release (you should back up the old .EXE files first, just in case).
3) Replace other files as desired. A file which many sysops post for their
users which may or may not have changed is the USER.DOC file. Also, some
boards use the default LOGOFF.SCR file included in SAMPLES.ZIP - this file
is also subject to possible change. Other files are also subject to
possible change, such as SETUP.EXE, MOCKDOOR.EXE, WHOISON.EXE, and all
documentation files. If you use any of these files in your own setup,
check the file dates against the files you currently have, and replace
any that are newer.
4) Read the WHATS.NEW file to see what has changed in the new version(s).
This serves not only to inform you about new features that can be taken
advantage of, but also points out any unique upgrade requirements that
you'll have to be aware of.
5) Add any new command line switches to your rOver .BAT file, as desired.
Start rOver in test mode, and make any configuration changes as might
have been indicated in the WHATS.NEW file. Log on and make sure that
everything works as you expect it to.
6) If you were already running a registered copy of rOverBoard, use your
registration information to register the new version at this time.