º INTERTST.EXE V1.0 Charles B. Miller º
º Batch File Utility Post Office Box K º
º (C) Copyright 1993 Charles B. Miller Marshall, Texas 75671 º
º This program may be used free of charge subject to the º
º Restricted License Agreement as stated below. º
This archive contains one utility named INTERTST.EXE.
INTERTST is a simple utility which helps you avoid the (A)bort (R)etry (F)ail message by testing a drive first to ascertain that it exists and is ready. This utility was written specifically for testing the ready status of drive letters created with DOS INTERLINK and will accurately test the wired connection between two computers without hanging up if the connection is bad or does not exist. It will also work for testing floppy drives and RAM disks. It has not been tested in a network environment. (The author would appreciate reports from anyone who uses this utility on a LAN.)
The DOS INTERLINK utility (new with version 6.0) has proven to be a simple and convenient way for users to copy files from one computer to another. The INTERLINK facility is a more than adequate way to move files from your laptop computer to a desktop machine. A simple batch file may be created to make this procedure even more convenient.
Most batch file utilities can be used in conjunction with INTERLINK drives, however; none of the batch file utilities I have tested was able to report the readiness of an INTERLINK drive without hanging. In order to avoid the dreaded "Drive not ready (A)bort (R)etry (F)ail" message, I wrote INTERTST to allow the testing of the INTERLINK connection from within a batch file.
The following example shows how INTERTST can be used to avoid the error message:
³ @ECHO OFF ³
³ INTERTST D: ³
³ IF ERRORLEVEL 0 IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO READY ³
³ IF ERRORLEVEL 1 IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO NOTREADY ³
³ :READY ³
³ ECHO The INTERLINK drive is okay, copying files from C: to D:! ³
³ COPY C:\WORDPROC\*.* D:\WORDPROC\ /V ³
³ GOTO END ³
³ :NOTREADY ³
³ ECHO The INTERLINK drive is not connected! ³
³ :END ³
EXIT CODES (ERRORLEVEL)
INTERTST reports the following exit codes:
0 = Specified drive is ready
1 = Specified drive is not ready
2 = Program error or invalaid drive specification entered
º Software License Agreement º
Read this agreement before installing or using the Software. Installing and/or using the Software on your computer indicates your acceptance of these terms. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, delete the Software and all it's associated files from your computer. This Software License Agreement gives you ONLY RESTRICTED RIGHTS to use the Software (and all it's associated files and documentation) as follows:
1. Use the Software without charge on as many systems as you wish,
2. Share the Software with others for their personal use, but only if you share it intact, without any changes or modifications of any kind, and complete with all it's documentation and associated files. You must pass it on exactly in the same form as we release it, or not pass it on at all.
3. Make backup copies of the Software, so long as you place our copyright notice on the backup copies,
4. Request and receive limited technical support as provided in the Freeware Product Support Policy below.
5. Vendors may distribute the Software free of charge by electronic or other means for the purpose of technical support, but may not include the Software in their products without our written permission.
YOU MAY NOT
1. Use the Software in any way except as provided in this agreement,
2. Modify, alter, copy, transfer, or reproduce the Software in any way, except as expressly allowed in this agreement,
3. Translate, de-assemble, de-compile, reverse program, or reverse engineer the Software or any of its components,
4. Charge any kind of fee for distributing the Software without written permission,
5. Use the Software for commercial purposes without permission,
6. Sublicense, lease, rent, sell, distribute, or otherwise dispose of the Software without written permission.
This license is effective from the date of first use of the Software and shall remain in force until terminated. You may terminate this agreement by destroying any and all copies of the Software and its documentation. Charles B. Miller may terminate this agreement if you fail to comply with any of the terms and conditions of it. You agree to destroy any and all copies of the Software and its documentation, in whatever form, if we terminate this license agreement, and you agree to provide us written certification of such destruction upon our request.
Statement of Exclusion of Warranty
ALL PRODUCTS DELIVERED PURSUANT TO THIS AGREEMENT ARE DELIVERED ON AN "AS-IS" BASIS AND THE AUTHOR EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABLE QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Limitation of Liability
THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES RELATING TO THIS SOFTWARE, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ALL SUCH WARRANTIES ARE EXPRESSLY AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMED. THE AUTHOR NOR ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN THE CREATION, PRODUCTION, OR DELIVERY OF THIS SOFTWARE SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES OR DAMAGES DUE TO LOST PROFITS, DATA, OR INFORMATION ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE SUCH SOFTWARE EVEN IF THE AUTHOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR CLAIMS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR'S LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES EVER EXCEED THE PRICE PAID FOR THE LICENSE TO USE THE SOFTWARE, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF CLAIM. THE PERSON USING THE SOFTWARE BEARS ALL RISKS AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE. This warranty gives you specific rights and you may have other rights.
This agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Texas and shall inure to the benefit of Charles B. Miller and any successors, administrators, heirs and assigns. Any action or proceeding brought by either party against the other arising out of or related to this agreement shall be brought only in a state or federal court of competent jurisdiction located in Harrison County, Texas.
º FBI WARNING º
º Failure to observe the restrictions of this license º
º may be a violation of º
º United States Code sections 101 through 810. º
September 30, 1993