Contents of the README file
This is a demo of an ISAM data-base I/O module for Turbo and Power Basic.
A QB version also exists. The full package is described in IX.DOC.
ISAM (indexed-sequential access method) is a method of allowing
a user program to locate the payroll record for HANNIBAL,NASTY or the
GM part number 6M-d45xX-VETTE with just one READ. Simple, huh?
This is not the usual B-Tree structure but true ISAM ala mainframes.
The main ISAM module is $INCLUDEd in the user's prog, and all modules and progs
are BASIC source code.
* key can be any length, position, and data type
* secondary keys supported
* optional key-only files (no data)
* multiple ISAM files in a user's prog
* max record size and number of records is 32k
* deleted space is re-used
* deleted space is blanked for max compression by ARC/ZIP
* full documentation file
* sample prog
This demo version only supports the following functions:
OPEN CLOSE ADD READ FIND
The full version additionally supports:
DELETE ERASE KEYCNT POS READ-NEXT READ-PREV REWRITE SCRUNCH
A plethora of support progs are also included:
Validate, Stats, Display, Print, Compress, serial data extraction, etc.
F I L E S
README The dude you're reading now
IX DOC ISAM documentation for full package
IXSAMPLE BAS Sample test prog
IXSAMPLE DAT 1,000 random numbers for input to IXSAMPLE.BAS
IXUSER BAS Module to move (not include) into front of your progs
that defines ISAM file(s) and $INCLUDEs the following:
IXIO INC Main ISAM module (included by IXUSER.BAS)
FILEXIST INC Function to return if file exists
TUBE INC Several screen subroutines
W H A T T O D O N O W
1. Read this little beauty
2. Un-Zip to a new subdirectory
3. If Turbo, COPY FILEXIST.TRB *.INC
If Power, COPY FILEXIST.PWR *.INC
4. Read the documentation IX.DOC
5. Compile and run IXSAMPLE.BAS
6. Since you now have a bad need for the full
package, send $25. I promise I won't spend
it on Harley parts.
7. Now that you're an ISAM expert, have a beer !
O R D E R I N G
To register for fixs and future enhancements, and receive the full
featured ISAM package, send $25 (U.S.), your name and address, and
whether you want 5.25 or 3.5 inch diskettes, to:
Southfield, Mich 48034